1. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

2. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Noctis [Final Fantasy 15]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Ephemeral God VIP

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    He's the prince of the Kingdom of Lucis and fights to reclaim his place on the throne. That's right, we're talking about the specially released Noctis and how well he compares in the Global meta. As usual, leave comments, and questions below. And enjoy this review. :]

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [5*] | [​IMG] [6*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Ring of Lucii (Accessory): +3 MAG/SPR, gives Alterna (510% MAG AoE, -25% SPR Ignore - 99 MP), Death (30% chance to instantly KO enemies, 80% mod/30% HP drain), Holy (25% chance to counter physical attacks, 25% chance to counter with Holy = 120% Magic ST, +40 MP Self recovery)
    Limit Break: 800%/1160% 5 Hits Phys ST + 50%/74% ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR Party Buff for 2 turns

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    5* 964 / 2920 (300) 43 / 130 (50) 40 / 120 (20) 34 / 104 (20) 38 / 115 (20) 33 / 101 (20) 4 3
    6* 1262 / 3824 (450) 57 / 174 (75) 52 / 158 (30) 40 / 120 (30) 50 / 150 (30) 45 / 136 (30) 4 3

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Blindside 210% 1 Hit Phys ST 18 1 [*****]
    Power of Kings - Short Swords +20% ATK +15% DEF with Dagger - 1 [*****]
    Fish 100% chance to be targeted for one turn. 20 12 [*****]
    Power of Kings - Swords +20% ATK +15% SPR with Sword - 20 [*****]
    Cover Party MP (10 Base 0.2x) + HP (1000 base 10x) per turn for Three turns 32 30 [*****]
    Power of Kings - Greatswords +35% ATK with Greatsword - 42 [*****]
    Link 100% 1 Hit Phys ST + 30% ATK/MAG Buff for three turns 36 55 [*****]
    Power of Kings - Shields +20% DEF/SPR with Light/Heavy Shield - 58 [*****]
    Power of Kings - Throwing +20% MAG/SPR with Throwing Weapon - 74 [*****]
    Point-Warp 300% Phys 1 Turn Jump + 2000 HP/135 MP Self recovery 50 80 [*****]
    Parry +20% Evade Phys chance - 1 [******]
    Power of Kings - Guns +20% ATK/DEF with Gun - 4 [******]
    Power of Kings - Katanas +20% ATK/MAG with Katana - 15 [******]
    Fire Flask 400% 1 Hit Hybrid Fire AoE + 30% Chance of inflicting any two ailments 45 30 [******]
    Blizzard Flask 400% 1 Hit Hybrid Ice AoE + 30% Chance to Stop for three turns 45 30 [******]
    Thunder Flask 400% 1 Hit Hybrid AoE + -30% DEF/SPR three turns debuff 45 30 [******]
    Damage Warp 30% Chance to counter with: Damage Warp (Self Heal: 400 Base 3x Mod) - 40 [******]
    Warp Decoy Self buff Dodge three attacks 16 52 [******]
    Power of Kings - Spears +20% ATK/SPR with Spear - 60 [******]
    Comeback 100% Revive ST 20 70 [******]
    Chosen King +15% HP/MP - 92 [******]
    Warp Break 250% Phys ST +40% Def Ignore & -30% ATK/DEF Debuff for three turns 42 100 [******]
    Data Credited From (Sprites & Movepool): https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/5iggl4/gl_maintenance_quick_peek_1215/

Pros:
    Overpowered LB: Given that LBs are of course not spammable, when he does get his LB off.. Something is gonna take some major damage. The modifiers on his LB are just plain broken imo. As a 6* Level 1 LB his mod is already at a massive 800% mod which hasn't been achieved by any unit in the game. If anything, these types of modifiers are towards the end of the leveling of the LB itself. It even gives AoE All stat up buff for two turns which is plain crazy. This LB is simply one of the best LBs in the game period. The only downside to this LB is the amount of crystals needed for it. The standard LB is around 14-16+ crystals for a fill. Noctis takes just about double to fill his, which is about fair considering how strong his LB is.

Unique Passives: If you're not new, we've already had weapon based passives before. But, they were only for attack boosting prime examples would be Gilgamesh "Weapon Collector" which gives him passives based on weapons. But, Noctis is a little bit different. His passives not only come with attack but they also come with defensive passives too. This actually covers the fact that he doesn't have innate defensive passives on level up using a weapon that the passive responds to would give him the same as a standard 6* unit filling his role. As a result, Noctis has alot of unique ways to be played in the game.

Great Supportive Movepool: By the looks of his movepool, Noctis is a attacker.. A great one at that. But, he also has some amazing support for your team. He has a 100% revive buff which only Refia had at the time this review was done. The ability to give your team MP/HP regen which is a first in Global. Status aliments which I will get into later, and 30% debuffs to all stats.

Self Human Elixir: Noctis has a pretty high MP intake for his attacks. But, thanks to his ability of Point Warp he doesn't really need any supporting heals from teammates. Especially if you decide to combine his Cover ability on top of this which pretty much is a full heal for him in that turn he decides to use Point Warp for a very solid 300% modifier. It's even better cause when he goes up the heal triggers so he would be immuned to taking damage that turn so he would be completely fine until he comes back down.

100% Target Chance: This is a first in Global, given that Noctis is a attacker. It's probably not that recommended to spam the skill excessively. But, for specific thresholds, and other moves that yield a chance to 100% KO someone. Noctis could very well use this skill to his advantage to take the move while not having any serious team causalities like your healer for example. If you have re-raise buffs from a teammate then it would be as if nothing happened to him cause you can heal yourself literally the turn after.

High Modifiers: If you really look at it. All of Noctis modifiers are not slacking even his hybrid mods that are at a nice 400% modifier which actually makes the moves usable even if you have a overwhelmingly higher ATK stat to your MAG. None of moves really slack, and that's just really good for him. He's seriously a high class nuker for the content ahead. Maybe even a little too broken for right now. On a note of his hybrid moves. He even has a ATK/MAG buff which would again help for the damage on his moves.

Cons:
    Low Debuffs: This is really my only complaint to Noctis really. He doesn't have "strong" debuffs the 6* units we do have now usually debuff 40% or higher to a targeted stat. Noctis only has 30% debuffs to stats. However, he is the only 6* who has the moves to debuff all stats. Other units that will be mentioned later don't have this at all. So, it's really not a true con. More like a minor gripe.

No Natural Passives: Besides his HP/MP +15%, Noctis doesn't have any natural passives that are
    unconditional. For the most part, it's all based on what is he holding as his weapon it's very unique and does still give him defensive passives even. But, to see some natural passives like another ATK+ passive would've been nice to see on him really.

PvP Arena:
    Noctis is amazing here too. He has everything you need to be a very solid unit in PvP Arena. His flask skills are really what would make him good there. While they are hybrid they all provide valuable things that would be otherwise highly recommended for taking down enemy teams. Status aliments, Stat Debuffs, Buffs, Team Support, Dodge Passives has its niches here too. Noctis would be a broken PvP Arena unit to have on your team. So, 10/10 use him in PvP Arena.

Trust Mastery Award:
    The Ring of Lucii is.. one of those high priority TMs cause of it's added effects. Giving you a massive spell move in Alterna is what really makes this TM of high priority. 510% with -25% ignore guys. That's downright broken in terms of who can use this TM. It's not character specific either so this means that anyone can use this. I cause of Alterna alone would highly favor this TM for mages/healers. Mages can abuse very high damage with Alterna. But, healers while in addiction of having a move to deal damage with also gets the passive of Holy. Which allows them to have a physical counter with a 120% damaging skill. And it even gives them 40 MP to work with meaning they can do their jobs more efficiently without needing to pop a Turbo Ether. So, yes get this TM.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG]
    - Gilgamesh
    • Gilgamesh has a higher specific weapon passive than Noctis. (40% ATK with Katana, as opposed to Noctis 35% with Greatsword)
    • Noctis has way more supportive outs than Gilgamesh.
    • Noctis gets a passive for all of the weapons he's able to equip, while Gilgamesh only focuses on 4 weapons.
    • Noctis has higher damaging mods on ST, while Gilgamesh has a higher damaging AoE.
    Overall Verdict: Overall, I would give it to Noctis here. Gilgamesh if taking on more enemies on the screen would surely be better to quickly take them out. But, most of our hardest content (trials, and events namely) are against one enemy. Which Noctis has insane moves for to quickly kill them off. He even has better support, Gilgamesh's support was kinda next to nonexistant with providing Shell/Protect buffs. Noctis has a ATK/MAG buff, can cast MP/HP regen, 100% revive buff, status aliments, and the list goes on. So, 100% Noctis for this one.

[​IMG] - Elza
    • Elza has a higher unique weapon passive than Noctis. (50% when holding spears, while Noctis has 35% on Greatsword)
    • Elza has stronger defensive debuffs than Noctis. -50% DEF/SPR as opposed to his 30%.
    • Elza has a re-raise buff that's accessable to herself, while Noctis only has a regular applicable buff.
    • Noctis has more status aliments to work with.
    Overall Verdict: Kinda hard to make a clear winner out this one haha. But, for damage the two are kinda the same. Elza if one enemy is consider still has a amazing 420% modifier on Madness Rush. Noctis on the other hand with his Warp Break has a 416% modifier after the -DEF ignore has been factored which makes them just about the same. However, due to Elza has a slightly higher passive the damage from her still goes up a bit more as opposed to Noctis. On a supportive side, Noctis is miles better than Elza for the many reasons that I have already stated. So, technically. Noctis would win due to his supportive niche being higher than Elza. She does have higher damage output, but not by far. But, Noctis has pretty everything you need in one unit.

Conclusion:
    Noctis is simply a amazing unit in all that he needs to do. I would heavily pull for him once he released on Global tomorrow. He's a great attacker, a wonderful support, and just a general badass really. So, I 100% recommend that you should pull for Noctis cause he's for sure a meta defining unit.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  2. Jeany1234

Jeany1234 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth 1077 ATK
    Damn that was quick! Great unit, awesome review as always! Will make sure to go for dailies and spend some tickets on this banner :)

Westsider and Jet Stingren like this.
  3. Syrus375

Syrus375 Active Member Supporter

Noctis with katana and sword .blade mastery and letters and arms yea boy

4. Haou

Haou Ascended Member

Leads:
    F2P Onion Knight
    Isn't Noctis supposed to be able to equip Clothes?

5. Kaiser_Decimation

Kaiser_Decimation Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    295 801 115
    Leads:
    Olive
    With half a dozen rare summon tickets ill be praying to anyone thats listening to get him.

I mean its not like they werent gonna make him busted with FFXV just released right?

6. Tetsuro

Tetsuro Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elza
    "What do you need me to do? Doesn't matter, I DO EVERYTHING."

7. Mercy

Mercy Arena Runner-Up Arena Runner-Up Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2, Onion Knight, Grim Sakura
    So wait I'm confused on the skills from his TM. Holy and Death do not function like the Holy/Death skills that we currently know, right?

Current Death is ST and has like, a 30% chance to kill and is an active BM skill. Holy is active ST BM Light element skill (idk the modifier). So the skills from the TM are:

Death: active BM skill with 30% chance of KO and drains 30% HP from target(s)? Is it single target or AoE? And the modifier affects the HP drain, yeah?
    Holy: passive? BM skill that adds a chance to counter physical damage with a weaker version of Holy (like I said idk the modifier so maybe it's the same?) and gives 40 MP back upon successful counter.

Is that correct? @Jet Stingren Can you confirm?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  8. Deranged Hermit

Deranged Hermit Member

As far as TM's Maxwell's power of creation for Mag Att buff, paired with 3x seal of destruction from Karl, might be the strongest damage build for hybrid. Genji Glove, Enhancer, and Sakurafubuki. Quite the loadout. I'll never be able to amass all these tmrs, and have near zero chance to pull Noctis, but a man can dream

9. Karn

Karn Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    Onion Knight, Ayaka, event
    Wow those are some crazy abilities he has! It looks like he has a bit of everything and does them pretty well. Those flask moves seem like mini limit bursts(Agrias and Exdeath). I can see the Fish move being handy too especially since he has Warp Decoy too. Please rngeesus take the wheel and grace me with Noctis!

10. Shahnaz

Shahnaz Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Welp, time to update my guide.

Is Alterna considered a black magic?

11. Sir Vincent

Sir Vincent The eternal student Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Shadow 200 ATK
    It's funny how his TM gives bonus 30% ATK and MAG in addition in JP. Here we have the nerf'd version :(

Westsider likes this.
  12. Bapig

Bapig Member Supporter

Global ID:
    517 083 493
    Leads:
    Lightning
    Wow so elza is like quite onpar with him..

When i got elza everyone i know says she's not that great etc etc lol..

Orbis likes this.
  13. Shahnaz

Shahnaz Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    That's because the comparison is badly made. When you start grinding TM's you get a very different result where Noctis reaches close to the 900ATK. He also has massively better supporting skills and an AoE DEF/SPR break. Noctis wins by far, but Elza is still a very strong unit with a better DEF/SPR break.

Alaxar likes this.
  14. Leinx

Leinx Well-Known Member Supporter

Mages can dual cast alterna if wielding the ring?? Or is it like Kefka hyperdrive?

PikaJew likes this.
  15. fabiandeny

fabiandeny Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive/Noctis
    RNGesus will be flooded with prayers in a few hours..

Arngrym and Aeglos like this.
  16. Skal

Skal Ascended Member

Wiki list it as a black magic : https://exviuswiki.com/Alterna

Leinx likes this.
  17. fabiandeny

fabiandeny Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive/Noctis
  18. Jose

Jose Purple lord VIP Supporter

Leads:
    GL: MAH BOI CECIL JP: Bronion Knight
    upload_2016-12-15_18-57-8.png

upload_2016-12-15_18-56-38.png

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Attached Files:

19. Ferphyll

Ferphyll Member

I know right? Kind of disappointed in that. They have absolutely no good reason for nerfing it at all.

20. Shuy1n

Shuy1n Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elza with 750 attack
    Should I spend for noctis or orlandu?
    It is very hard question for now.
    FYI, I get dual wield + dual excalibur that I save for Orlandu (if I get it, lol).