1. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

2. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Snow [Final Fantasy 13]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Ephemeral God VIP

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    He's one cool guy determined to save his girlfriend Serah at all costs, and wants to be the bright hero of the original FF13 cast. That's right, we're talking about Snow and how well he compares in the Global meta. As usual, leave comments and questions below and I hope you enjoy the review. :]

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*] | [​IMG] [6*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Weaknesses: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Champion's Belt (Accessory): ATK/DEF +30, +20%ATK/DEF when holding Knuckles.
    Limit Break: 290% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack + Ignore 50% DEF -> 410% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack + Ignore 50% DEF

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    4* 742 / 2249 (270) 28 / 86 (35) 27 / 81 (14) 26 / 79 (14) 22 / 67 (14) 22 / 67 (14) 4 2
    5* 965 / 2923 (360) 37 / 113 (40) 35 / 106 (16) 34 / 103 (16) 29 / 88 (16) 29 / 88 (16) 4 3
    6* 1254 / 3801 (510) 49 / 148 (65) 46 / 138 (26) 45 / 135 (26) 38 / 115 (26) 38 / 115 (26) 4 3

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Aquastrike 150% ST 1 Hit Water Physical Attack 9 4 [****]
    Counter 30% chance to counter Physical Attacks - 30 [****]
    DEF +20% Boosts users DEF by 20% - 51 [****]
    Blizzard 120% ST Ice Magic Attack 3 16 [*****]
    Water 120% ST Water Magic Attack 3 16 [*****]
    Brawl +50% ATK when unarmed - 24 [*****]
    Draw Attacks Increase Target Chance by 50% - 58 [*****]
    Blizzara 140% AoE Ice Magic Attack 9 62 [*****]
    Watera 140% AoE Water Magic Attack 9 62 [*****]
    Area Blast 180% AoE Phyiscal Attack - 78 [*****]
    Fighting Spirit 30% chance to counter Magic Attacks. - 1 [******]
    Froststrike 140% ST 1 Hit Ice Physical Attack 7 42 [******]
    Eye for an Eye Increase Counter Chance 2x - 72 [******]
    HP Stroll Heals 5 HP per 3 steps - 82 [******]
    HP +30% Boosts users HP by 30% - 91 [******]
    Battle Roar SELF 2000 Damage Attack + AoE +50% ATK for 3 turns 8 100 [******]
    Here We Go (Exclusive) SELF 3 Turn +50% DEF/SPR 12 1 [****]
    Pros:
    Double Sided Tank: Snow has one unique thing about him. And that's the ability to counter magic based damage alongside his standard physical damage counter. This is really good considering how many times that we've needed some sort of magic countering tank for a long time now especially for more magic suited bosses that are to come in the game. But, we got Snow now and he certainly delivers on his abilities.

10/10 Tank Necessities: Snow has just about everything when you need to take tanking into account here. He has the counters to Physical/Magic, he has innate Draw Attacks to make sure he gets hit to trigger the counter, he has doubled counter chance which brings his counters up to 60% from Eye for an Eye. You can pretty much say if you're not using his attacking moves most of your damage will be coming from his counters easily he also has the right passives for the job as well in HP +30%, and DEF +20%

Very MP Efficient: You ever notice, that from his movepool. Snow hardly uses any MP at all which is pretty insane actually. As a result from this, he'll never actually run outta things to do. All of his moves are cheap, and even his buffs are cheap. Meaning you can keep him going without needing any sort of Ethers to fix him up if a battle was to be long, and dragged out. Snow will be able to keep himself sustained in battle cause of all of his moves having low MP intake which can only be better for him.

Cons:
    Low Armor Selection: This one isn't even as bad as a con as some people may think it is. It's only slightly bad to make it 100% clear, the ability to only use Clothes/Hat instead of the standard Heavy Armor/Helm for tanks that are in this meta doesn't actually hurt Snow. Reason being, as Clothes/Hats give more in SPR alongside reasonable DEF there's not alot clothing gear that's just plain awful no. But, in Snow's case this works for him cause he has magic damage he has to worry about tanking for his counter and clothes, and hats just so happen give him alot more SPR than you would from Heavy Armors, and Helms. So, this one doesn't really hurt him. It only slightly lowers his over all max defensive chances at physical attacks since not of armor/helms give SPR.

Battle Roar: I know what you're thinking. Why is having the highest ATK buff in the game right now a con? Well, namely is cause Snow has to hurt himself to use the buff and it's not a minor scratch on your hand. He loses 2K HP whenever he used the move and that's just too steep of a HP loss espicially when he have other means of buffing like Cheer/Embolden, which would overall be better to use cause it gives extra stat protection (DEF buff), and it's way more safer. As a tank, you want Snow to have a much HP as you can possibly give him so he can keep surviving and doing damage from his counters.

Brawl: Edited: 12/4/16: Snow would've appreciated the ATK boost cause of his attacking skills doing more damage. The problem is that's he's overall designed to be a counter abusing tank and he needs as much DEF/SPR as possible to take attacks needed for content ahead. If he puts on a shield, he immediately loses on the 50% ATK boost at hand which makes his DPS lowered. It's not really a bad thing cause at least he has DPS on him for getting off small damage.

Exclusive Materia:
    Here We Go is a great exclusive materia for Snow cause it gives him the highest DEF/SPR in the game, and maximizes his defensive capabilities. So, if you do want to get Snow. I would highly suggest in picking up this materia from the event at hand. It actually out beats using Cheer/Embolden from your healer cause it's cheaper on him and gives a SPR buff which again makes him harder to kill, and only complements his magic counter. So, again. Get this exclusive materia for Snow.

PvP Arena:
    Snow serves quite good here too, thanks to PvP Arena being controlled by AI namely. Most of the single attacks pretty much will come to him and that's what you want as he would be your tank naturally. Snow also with his +50% ATK passive can put some damage on the board allowing your other teammates to come in for a quicker kill or just wearing down the enemies for the next phase of the match so you can snipe them off faster.

Trust Mastery Award:
    This TM is really strong, and really good for any attacker who can use Knuckles as their weapons. A base of ATK/DEF +30 already sounds great for a accessory on it's own. But, to have a added +20% ATK/DEF bonus if you're wearing Knuckles as your weapons? Yeah, that would give your unit alot of extra attack power. So, I would highly suggest in getting this TM.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Cecil
    • Cecil has higher passives than Snow.
    • Cecil can support the team better with Focus + Curaja.
    • Snow can put damage on the board
    • Snow has higher targeted chance, and counters to work with.
    Overall Verdict: Cecil is still better than Snow, but not by a longshot really. Cecil definitely has overall a better tanking position on teams cause of Saintly Wall which decreases damage done by Cecil by 50%, Snow can't innate jump in damage per say but due to his high target chances it almost acts like the move but Snow is taking full damage. Cecil also has the backup Curaja which goes great on teams just needing a bit more extra HP to survive. Snow on the other hand, has the offensive pressure + high counter rates that Cecil would appreciate. Even if it's not alot, putting any sort of offensive pressure on enemies is a big deal cause it allows you to be able to kill the enemy/character faster. Specifically speaking, I would say Snow is a very close second to Cecil. But, in this instance of general tanking Cecil is better. Snow is only better by counters, and damage output.

[​IMG] - Demon Rain (Exclusive)
    • Snow has counters to both ATK/MAG based attacks, while DRain only has physical.
    • Snow has higher passives than Demon Rain
    • Demon Rain has the ability to support the team with minor debuffs, and usable buffs.
    • Demon Rain has a sentinel like ability, while Snow doesn't.
    Overall Verdict: Snow is better than Demon Rain even if he doesn't have a sentinel like ability in his movepool. In short, Demon Rain simply doesn't have the passives to survive in this meta for a good amount of time. You can only go so far with a measly HP +10%, while Snow on the other hand has HP +30%, and DEF +20% as his passives. In the general sense of tanking, Snow does excellent when put up against Rain cause of his nature ability to be targeted higher than the others and Demon Rain simply doesn't have that kind of tanking ability as great as Snow.

Conclusion:
    Go for Snow, he actually would be a good unit to have even if you have a 6* Cecil already. I would still say that Snow could fill some voids that Cecil could not and having a better niche than him in specific content perhaps. He would be a solid over all counter tank to your team and he's surely worth it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  2. Kaladin Stormblessed

Kaladin Stormblessed Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Thanks for this! I had decided to skip this next banner but you convinced me to to try a few pulls. I did just land WOL on my daily today though.

Hope and Jet Stingren like this.
  3. Pendragon

Pendragon Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Extra Crispy Frys
    Quick question:

Does his 50% buff happen if he has a shield equipped?

4. Jet Stingren

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    Yes. Unarmed means no weapons are equipped.

5. Pendragon

Pendragon Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Extra Crispy Frys
    nice... now if only he could DW shields :D

6. Requiem

Requiem Ascended Member Supporter

Great review, I may have to pull for him since my main is lacking a 6star tank, hrmmmm.

And I know this is looking ahead and all, but Champ Belt on future Firion is amazing

7. nonsense

nonsense Ascended Member

wearing knuckle == unarmed ? Or unarmed == not equipping anything on both L/R hands?

8. Kaiser_Decimation

Kaiser_Decimation Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    295 801 115
    Leads:
    Olive
    Would Eye for An Eye work with Fighting Spirit? Or is it literally only the Counter ability?

9. Jet Stingren

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    Yes, it works. It increases Counter chances that counts as a counter.

10. Kaiser_Decimation

Kaiser_Decimation Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    295 801 115
    Leads:
    Olive
    Well thats good, I was thinking that it would have been a 60-30 Counter type split but that makes it 60-60 :0

With Draw Attacks and Provoke thats a 100% single attack target draw and a 60% Counter regardless..........

Why do I feel like I want to build him like I did in FF13-2 by just stacking his attack as mad counter tank? lol

11. Emelian65

Emelian65 New Member

Hello I have to ask, Snow +50% ATK passive, does this means that using fist weapons, like his TM suggest or like the event weapon will nullify this passive?

12. roger_muahhh

roger_muahhh Active Member

I'm curious if he would be better or worse compared to WoL at 6 Star.
    (I could just be confused because I'm not sure if WoL falls under a "Tank" like Cecil would)

13. KyuutenZero

KyuutenZero Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for this. I noticed a couple people like myself questioned this banner. Though, now looking at everything the way it is Snow doesn't seem too bad. I may end up trying for him just to fill my tank spot that I need so bad.

14. Jokaa

Jokaa Well-Known Member

I think Snow is not that good when comparing to WoL/Cecil, but they are two types of tank indeed (or actually 3)
    WoL is very strong at 6*, he's good in every aspect except attack.
    Great debuffs (AoE / Fullbreak), good covering (a skill covering the whole team for ST/AoE attack, a 100% taunt), support (Embolden, raise), also chance to recover HP/MP when hit by magic
    Snow is better in terms of damage, but only if you can survive through the attack. He could die easily if he's not geared well coz of the draw attack but without any damage mitigation.
    Imo, just stay with WoL (I think the 6* upgrade for him and Garland is coming real soon) and skip this banner if you are not a big fans of FFXIII.

15. Edels Ice

Edels Ice Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    793 690 611
    Umm is serah really his girlfriend or fiancee ? :)
    Hehe.
    Correct me if im wrong.

16. Farron

Farron Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    083 439 625
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh Zargabaath
    The term Vanguard couldn't fit Snow any better in this game. Only thing that could be missing is mediguard and vendetta (if that's a thing) but that's just me nitpicking. The memories of ffxiii are real.

The way I see using him is constantly guarding and let his counters do all the work; much more so with multiple mobs.

17. Sekraal

Sekraal New Member

Euhm, not sure if this is an ingame error, but having a shield equipped on my Snow without any weapons actually lowers his damage than with Snow not wearing anything at all in L/R slots, so it seems shields actually DO count as armed for the brawler trait :/

18. Farron

Farron Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    083 439 625
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh Zargabaath
    Kinda makes sense. Hard to punch someone with a shield in the way.

19. Sekraal

Sekraal New Member

true, true. I just hoped to get a tank with counter to use in niche situations and got my Snow on a ticket from prev event, so i'm more than happy to just equip him with some strong weapon and a shield :)

20. Sekraal

Sekraal New Member

+ idk the spesific bonuses Firion gets in the future on global, but i wonder if the TMR from Snow would be usefull to use when DW Winged Saint on Firion

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016