1. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

2. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Vanille [Final Fantasy 13]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Ephemeral God VIP

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    A I'Cie who faked forgetting her memories when she awoke on Cocoon, as they party ventured on they found just who Vanille really was. That's right, we're talking about Vanille and how well she compares in the Global meta. As usual, leave comments and questions below. And enjoy the review.

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Magistral Crest (Materia): +30% MAG/SPR
    Limit Break: OHKO (70% Chance) -> OHKO (89% Chance)

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    4* 562 / 1704 (210) 36 / 110 (45) 24 / 72 (14) 21 / 65 (14) 26 / 79 (14) 30 / 90 (14) 1 8
    5* 731 / 2216 (240) 48 / 144 (60) 31 / 94 (16) 28 / 85 (16) 34 / 103 (16) 39 / 118 (16) 1 10

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Cure ST ~150 HP Heal w/ 3x Mod 3 1 [****]
    Esuna ST Cure Poison, Blind, Sleep, Silence, Paralyze, Confuse 8 21 [****]
    Deprotect ST 3 Turn -20% DEF Debuff 4 38 [****]
    Deshell ST 3 Turn -20% SPR Debuff 4 45 [****]
    Cura AoE ~400 HP Heal w/ 3x Mod 7 60 [****]
    Curaga ST ~800 HP Heal w/ 3.4x Mod 9 12 [*****]
    MP +20% Boosts users MP by 20% - 29 [*****]
    Focus AoE 3 Turn +40% MAG/SPR 48 72 [*****]
    Cheer AoE 3 Turn +40% ATK/DEF 48 80 [*****]
    Pros:
    Double Sided Buffs: As a almost first, Vanille gets both Cheer & Focus in her move pool which almost replicates the feeling of having a All stats +40% buff on your team just having to take a additional turn to set up which is pretty good since she would cover most mixed teams as they need both sides of the buffs so this is a good thing for her.

Cons:
    Useless LB: I know what you're thinking.. A superb chance to OHKO enemies? Sounds legit right? Well, it would be if it wasn't the fact that every enemy and their grandma has immunity to instant death which would make this LB pointless to use. It's only relevance is in story missions really which isn't saying anything at all.

Lack of Meta Essential Heals: She's missing a certain heal.. to keep up with the times. And that's Curaja. She doesn't seem to have the skill at all which automatically puts her in a bad place of this meta. You can argue that she has Curaga but that's only for 1 ally, and not all. In this stage of meta.. Curaja is a absolute must and it will remain that way really for just about forever. With her not having Curaja she will have a hard time keeping teams sustained with her rather low-ish heals.

No SPR Passive: It's a standard for a healer to have a SPR passive if you couldn't tell most healers in the game have had a SPR passive to help amplify their heals by a bit. Vanille on the other hand doesn't have a passive boost to SPR, only to her MP. This means even with her Cura, Curaga heals she would be healing for less as opposed to a unit who had the passive.

Massive MP Drainer: Vanille has alot of MP to be used which will not serve her for long style battles. For every 2 turns she would have to use a staggering 96 MP if you were inclined to get both her buffs up for the team which on top of her having to heal you would make her run dry extremely fast maybe even before 8 turns of actual use. Which would result in multiple use in MP healing items to make sure she remains constant with her buffs.

PvP Arena:
    She really wouldn't do that well in PvP Arena either. In PvP Arena, it's really not hard for enemy teams to hit 999+ damage to your teammates and she wouldn't be able to save them cause Cura doesn't even heal that high on a standard Vanille. So, at best she would like remove some of the damage, but not enough to keep your team safe.

Her LB has some interesting niche here as the enemies teams and never immune to Death so she could snipe off some people that way. But, she her LB is rather hard to get up in itself and LB crystals are completely random it's very unlikely you'll pull this off constantly without fail.

Trust Mastery Award:
    Her TM is actually very good, it's a step up from the popular Shantotto TM just with SPR benefit added as well. MAG/SPR goes well with healers, and other supporters who would make full use of this so I do recommend this TM be picked up for anyone who does pulls Vanille.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Tilith [Exclusive]
    • Tilith can get up All stat up buffs in one turn than Vanille's 2 turns.
    • Tilith can do alot more for a team than Vanille could.
    • Tilith has the correct passives for a healer, while Vanille lacks some.

Overall Verdict: Tilith downright beats Vanille just off the fact that she has a stronger Curaja while Vanille doesn't. She pretty much will beat Vanille without trying really. There's nothing really to say to give Vanille any defense here she just gets downright beaten by Tilith.

[​IMG] - Garnet
    • Vanille can cure status aliments, while Garnet can't.
    • Garnet gets the extra niche of Raise which essential for the meta.
    • Garnet has the better heals.
    • Garnet has the better passives.
    Overall Verdict: Garnet is better than Vanille. Even without the fact that she cannot cure status aliments which play a high factor in a good healer. But, the main reason why she wins is again the Curaja + SPR passive that clearly makes her heals and more relevant and strong to use.

Conclusion:
    Vanille isn't really a great unit. She's mainly a solid healer for beginners like you're first few weeks in before you progress to high 5* to full 6* teams. But, in this meta. She really wouldn't hold a flame to the healers in her circle so I wouldn't really say to use her really in the later content. But, mainly her to the TM is why she should be pulled.

Syuri and K.Abuse like this.
  2. K.Abuse

K.Abuse Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning, Chizuru, Kefka, WoL, Lenna
    She looks hot there!

3. Xshock

Xshock Active Member

Not got curaja , my cecil + wwfina still better.

Lonelygirl0000 likes this.
  4. Sir Vincent

Sir Vincent The eternal student Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Shadow 200 ATK
    Her suggestive moan is the most damaging thing. It completely beats Tidus laugh!

5. SummonerBWM

SummonerBWM Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    2B
    Can we actually test and see which enemies besides bosses are actually immune to instant death though? If a player is the one to breeze through, we will have to see how far Vanille can go in helping a player breeze through.

6. Karn

Karn Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    Noctis, Ayaka, Reberta
    Hello all. I maxed my Vanille for this event. She also has a special skill called 'Keep It Up' which gives 1ally auto reraise for 3 turns and restores 30% hp on revive. It costs 20mp. I'm guessing it's her global exclusive. I'm sorry I don't remember what level she gets it at.

7. SummonerBWM

Global ID:
    Leads:
    2B
    Can you put up a picture of it? It was never mentioned so if you put it up now, we can look into it.

8. Karn

Leads:
    Noctis, Ayaka, Reberta
    The screenshot from my phone was too big. sorry I'm a bit of an invalid at posting photos. heres it cropped from the screenshot

Attached Files:

9. Karn

Leads:
    Noctis, Ayaka, Reberta
    This pic is better

Attached Files:

SummonerBWM likes this.
  10. SummonerBWM

Global ID:
    Leads:
    2B
    Thanks! Looks more like a Global exclusive. Never heard of it before. I'll put this up about Vanille in my healer's guide.

11. nospacebar

nospacebar Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Have just pulled her today on ticket (my first FF XIII character). At least I will start getting extra 75% bonus on Hanging Edge event and farm her TMR later once I finish with the rest. Thanks for the review.

12. Lonelygirl0000

Lonelygirl0000 Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth
    Well she was trash in ff13. So it makes sense lol. I came here to look if she was worth pulling for that LB in the arena. But I take that as a no lol

13. linXzta

linXzta Ascended Member

Yep but with Bartz u have a mp battery for days son!!

14. jarigoni

jarigoni Well-Known Member

I loved using her to cast Death on the smaller Adamatoise in FFXIII. It felt pretty cool defeating it for the first time.

15. szalkerous

szalkerous New Member

I would be really interested in an educated opinion/comparison to White Witch Fina.

16. TheMadCow

TheMadCow New Member

Speaking from personal experience, her LB has won me A LOT of PVP fights that I never would have had a chance of winning otherwise. Granted, I'm not that high in rank (only 44), but I've come to appreciate the fact that her LB usually pops by round 6 (occasionally round 4) and more often than not, wipes all but 1 unit. Yes, sometimes the unit left standing can cause major problems (dirty Exdeath and his Grand Cross!), but I'm pretty consistently put into a situation to where if I can't kill the unit, like a Cecil, I at least win by default.

Also thought of putting her with Tilith, for faster LB gain. I just haven't tested it yet.

17. Karn

Leads:
    Noctis, Ayaka, Reberta
    I have both WW Fina and Vanille maxed and have been thinking a lot lately about where Vanille can be used. The TLDR of what I am about to write is that WW Fina is a better healer and Vanille is better thought of as a support character that can backup heal if its needed.

Fina, due to her 6 star max, already has a stat advantage over Vanille which means she should have more survivability due to higher hp, def and spr and be able to cast more due to higher mp. Fina also has stronger passive spr and mp boost abilities than Vanille.

For reasons already touched on in the main reviews, neither is a good main healer for harder content due to lack of Curaja and incomplete status ailment curing coverage. If I had to pick one anyway for main healer, I would go with WW Fina, unless I was going to fight something that spams status ailments that she cant cure. Both would be better as a secondary/backup healer than primary.

A typical party setup is tank, healer, supporter, and damage dealers for the remaining spots. Vanille is best for supporter role and is way better than WW Fina in most cases. I actually feel like it's better to compare Vanille to other support role characters and BC Lid than to healers. WW Fina and Vanille both have Cheer, so that's a wash. Vanille also has Focus, deprotect, deshell and dispel so she can buff your party's magic attack and defense and debuff the enemy. Her exclusive weapon, Malboro Wand, also gives her Jinx, which has 100% chance of inflicting disease, barring the mobs resistance.

It's too bad Vanille doesn't have Full Break or she might be my go-to support role char.

18. KWFFBE

KWFFBE Well-Known Member

Leads:
    Elza, Reberta, T.Terra, 2B, Tidus
    I'm looking at this review and wondering why there is no mention of Vanille's "Keep it up" special ability as mentioned on this page

https://exviuswiki.com/Vanille

The ability opens up massive amount of strategy in relation to provoke and tankers, that isn't available in any other support type unit! Although I agree Vanille falls into the same category as White Witch Fina in terms of healing ability compared to other healers.... but the fact this special ability is completely omited from this forum review.. makes me question how objective the review is?!

19. Karn

Leads:
    Noctis, Ayaka, Reberta
    Keep It Up is exclusive to the global version of FFBE. I think OP posted the review based off the JP version, right when Vanille was released in global and before anyone had leveled her up far enough to discover the skill. I'm sure OP will update their review at some point.

I haven't actually used the skill yet though maybe I should. My main tank is Charlotte and Gilgamesh ELT is kind of trashing her. Have you found a nifty way of using Keep It Up?

20. KWFFBE

KWFFBE Well-Known Member

Leads:
    Elza, Reberta, T.Terra, 2B, Tidus
    Watch Evil laughter01 youtube channel... he has done a review on the character and he has a video where he is actually using vanille and snow against the two headed dragon trail (video here)

His review on the characters you can probably find in his channel somewhere where he talks about Vanille and her "keep it up" special

Geremy and Karn like this.