1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Overview: Yun [FFBE: Lunar New Year]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Casually Retired. VIP

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    A young man atop of a chobobo, who'd lost his parents after a group of monsters attacked their village. That's right, we're talking about Yun and how well he compares in the current Global meta. As usual, leave all comments & questions below. And as usual, enjoy the review.

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [5*] | [​IMG] [6*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: +30% Fire Attacks
    Trust Mastery Award: Crimson Slayer (Armor): DEF +52, +25% Fire Resist, gives the ability Fist of Fire (Increase ATK +30% when equipped with a fist)
    Limit Break: 310%/430% 1 Hit Phys ST + 50% DEF ignore & -40% DEF break/2 turns

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    5* 875 / 2650 (240) 33 / 101 (40) 38 / 115 (24) 31 / 95 (16) 25 / 75 (16) 30 / 91 (16) 2 5
    6* 1163 / 3525 (390) 44 / 132 (65) 50 / 150 (34) 41 / 124 (26) 36 / 110 (26) 38 / 116 (26) 2 5

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Beast Killer +50% Physical Damage vs Beasts - 1 [*****]
    Chakra Self Recover 30% HP/MP & Self Cure Poison, Blind 8 8 [*****]
    Run Friend Run -25% Encounter Rates - 12 [*****]
    DEF +30% Boost users DEF stat by 30% - 15 [*****]
    No Pressure Friend +50% ATK when equipped with Clothes/Light Armor - 18 [*****]
    Two Hit Combo x2 Normal Attacks - 36 [*****]
    Blazing Heart 220% 1 Hit Phys AoE 20 45 [*****]
    HP +30% Boost users HP stat by 30% - 58 [*****]
    Angry Peck 200% 1 Hit Phys ST + 25% DEF Ignore 16 80 [*****]
    Crimson Rage Self: +300% ATK bonus/next normal attack + 30% Fire Resists 12 7 [******]
    Friendship +100% Sleep/Para/Confuse Resists - 20 [******]
    ATK +30% Boost users ATK stat by 30% - 34 [******]
    Ambition +40% Crit - 53 [******]
    Raging Chobobo 300% 10 Hits Phys ST 36 67 [******]
    Inferno Rage +400% ATK bonus/next normal attack (Max: 800%) 18 80 [******]
    Blazing Combo 185% 5 Hits Phys ST + 25% DEF ignore & -30% Fire Resists debuff for 3 turns 30 100 [******]
    Pros:
    Great Passive Support: For a physical attacker, Yun kinda makes that rare case of getting more than what is expected from him. Most physical attackers get a HP/ATK boost. But, Yun gets a extra DEF boost as well which only helps him more survive in his durability. This DEF boost also helps with some skills that I will mention later. But, it's great for Yun who gets a ATK +80%, DEF/HP +30% in total.

Blazing Combo: Blazing combo being the fire version of some other attacks of this nature. Is the best one out of all of them for a couple reason. 1: It's a fire based attack, which when he gets off the fire debuff the move will do more damage. 2: It has DEF ignore on it for even more damage. Thus making this a very great, and solid move for Yun to use in terms of good and solid damage.

Store Mechanics: Normally, Store based mechanics aren't considered to be good cause of the extra 50% of damage they take and for a very low boost added to your normal attack modifier by 100%. Yun however takes this and makes it way better cause his boosts are way higher, and without no recoil to him. The extra bonus with this skill is his doubled normal attack chance which I'll discuss later in the review. But, Yun can actually make his normal attack modifier as high as 800% for a two turn charge. Which is pretty great damage
    especially on a normal attack as well.

Innate Boosted Crit Chance: For Yun, this skill actually helps him alot mainly cause of the store mechanics pro above. Why this is good is cause crits do nothing more but double his damage on his normal attacks. Which if he we're to maybe do a 1 turn charge using his Inferno Rage skill. This if he makes it a crit would make him do a great deal of damage.

Self
    Efficient: Yun has a great deal of things in his movepool that allow him to support himself in the heat of battle. Yun has Chakra which is a 30% HP/MP heal he can cast whenever he gets low on MP or HP. He has innate immunities to several statuses making him less needed to be tended to by healers/support units he can just for the main part keep doing his job of being a solid physical attacker.

Raging Chobobo: This skill while it doesn't do anything special besides have a solid modifier of 300% max. It's actually a very quick skill which makes for quick chains, and goes great with finisher type units as they used the accumlated chain buildup with Yun + another unit to deal high damage which helps the teams overall DPS.

Cons:
    x2 Normal Attacks: You're probably wonder why could this be bad? Well, it's bad cause it ties in wrong with his Store mechanics. The way his and various other Store mechanics work is that they boost the normal attack modifier for 1 normal attack only. By default, he does normal attacks twice which means the second attack won't be boosted and will be its default of 100% mod. This ain't terrible, and you can even argue to say that at least he's getting off chip damage with the second attack as well.

PvP Arena:
    Yun is pretty solid in PvP Arena actually. However, he doesn't have a innate petrify immunity with his resists which does wound him a little bit. His main good assets would be debuffing enemies with his Blazing Combo move. And following up with his good fire AoE attack. He would be solid overall in PvP Arena.

Trust Mastery Award:
    Yun's TM is actually really good especially for a unit his nature. It's alright in terms of the stats, and the fire resist. But, what makes the TM really good is the ATK +30% when equipped with a fist item. Which is specific unit cases can be very good. Yun would make a great use of this TM personally but there will be many units to make a good use of this. So, I recommend you farm this TM.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Mercedes
    • Yun has a higher total attack boost than Mercedes. 80% on Yun, 70% on Mercedes.
    • Yun has good follow up to his element debuff, while Mercedes does not.
    • Mercedes can provide a bit of team support with a ATK up buff, while Yun is more self supportive.
    Overall Verdict: Yun easily does better than Mercedes really. Yun with his debuff is infact a Fire element attack so the next time he does the move the damage is increased. The problem with Mercedes is that is she doesn't have a good follow up to her elemental debuff which ruins her DPS quite a bit. Yun has that advantage on her which is why she would be better.

Conclusion:
    Yun is a pretty good, and solid unit and I would urge you all to at least try for him. He adds a very unique attacking dynamic into the game that can fun to experiment with and work out for your own team comps which it's always good to have a good other units that can fulfill other roles. If you wanna exploit a Fire weakness, then Yun is easily a good go to unit to fill that job easily. So, yes pull for Yun. He's good.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  2. JustinHChrist

JustinHChrist Ascended Member Supporter

Leads:
    Orlandeau, Noctis, Olive
    I've heard you say this in several places.... I'm pretty sure thats not how this works. Percentages are just that... percentages. Why would normal attacks be modded by 80%? they aren't. i tested this on chizuru way back in the day. Normal attacks did X total damage, while barrage attacks did .8X on each of the 3 hits.

Modifiers listed in the unit's ability tables are based off of normal attacks where a normal attack is 1... not .8 of some fictional number.

3. Emeiru

Emeiru Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orly
    I was actually expecting him to be compared to Xiao, given that the previous review for Xiao compared her to Yun. Regardless, I'd be happy to pull Yun! I need more physical attackers to comple an all-out ATK based squad.

4. Syuri

Syuri ♥ evade prince, kupo!! ♥ VIP Supporter

-25% encounter rates.. o.0
    so we can't get full exp during exploration?

5. Aysatyo

Aysatyo Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    no, it will just take longer time to encounter all enemies.

Syuri likes this.
  6. Syuri

Syuri ♥ evade prince, kupo!! ♥ VIP Supporter

i see, guess i misunderstanding the meaning.. thanks for the clarification.. :)

7. Outlaw

Outlaw VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    2B,A2,WoL,Tillith, Rikku
    Hmm should I blow my saved 10+1 pull on this banner... head scratcher there.

8. Jeany1234

Jeany1234 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth 1077 ATK
    Am I the only one laughing when I hear "fist of fire"? ...

Syrus, DaMadDog420 and Bernd like this.
  9. McGillby

McGillby Ascended Member

Leads:
    2B/Orlandu
    Yay got Yun with a ticket! Was hoping for the Dancer. I used about 18 tickets. Anyways I couldn't be happier right now!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  10. Night

Night Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau
    Nice Review as Always but i gotta ask why the comparison is to a 4* based char? How does he compare to the other 5* attackers? Is he Worth pulling for if youre sitting on say Lightning, luneth, gilga, noctis, DKC, Elza etc?

Jman1115 and Fia Valen like this.
  11. chee808

chee808 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    So far I have him at 800 attack. Pretty fun to use but I need to do a lot of testing once I wake up. Dual wield does turn his normal attack to a very long 4 hit attacks... it's been good at filling up LB bars though in the explorations.

12. Carnefix

Carnefix Newsl0rd Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter German Moderator Arena Runner Up S2 Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    416 022 660
    Leads:
    TDH Hyoh, Nyx, 2B
    Your Yun was also a great help for me.

I was lucky and drew Yun with my 4th ticket (1st was instant rainbow terra -.-). I was planning to take your build as an example to rebuild my tm team.

13. chee808

chee808 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Awesome to hear! I had two troll rainbows on this pull. And lots and lots of Xiao... hahaha

14. NoctisXV

NoctisXV Active Member

Yay!!!! I got it too. Thank you lunar feathered Rng!

15. Senturion

Senturion VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2, 2B, Aileen or Tidus usually
    Can show screenshot of Yun? Did you use any Str pots on him to hit 800 attack? What's your gear setup?

16. Sir Vincent

Sir Vincent The eternal student VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Shadow 200 ATK
    Not maxed pot.
    IMG_4152.PNG IMG_4153.PNG

17. Senturion

Senturion VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2, 2B, Aileen or Tidus usually
  18. Adenascht

Adenascht Well-Known Member

Leads:
    Dark Knight Cecil, Cloud of Darkness
  19. Chris089

Chris089 Ascended Member

You have Ifrit on him right? Has to be, mine has almost He same gear but doesnt crack the 800s :/.
    My ifrit stacks to Noctis sadly

20. Sir Vincent

Sir Vincent The eternal student VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Shadow 200 ATK
    Yes.