1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Overview: Zidane [Final Fantasy 9]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Casually Retired. VIP

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    He's half cat, half human? That sounds about right. Nothing unusual here. Today, we will be looking at the unit Zidane and what he brings to the table in current Global meta. Get comfortable, and as always leave comments below.

[​IMG]
    Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 517 / 1567 (150) 22 / 67 (25) 21 / 64 (14) 20 / 61 (10) 18 / 54 (10) 17 / 53 (10) 2 3
    4* 667 / 2022 (210) 29 / 87 (35) 27 / 83 (18) 26 / 79 (14) 23 / 70 (14) 22 / 68 (14) 3 3
    5* 834 / 2527 (240) 36 / 109 (40) 34 / 104 (24) 33 / 99 (16) 29 / 87 (16) 28 / 85 (16) 4 3

Magic Levels at 5*: White & Black Magic Lvl 3
    Resistances: None | Weaknesses: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Dual-Wield (Ability): Gives user the ability to hold two weapons.
    Limit Break: 250% AoE Physical Attack > 345% AoE Physical Attack

Abilities Learned at Each Level:
    3*: Steal, Examine, Cover the Girls
    4*: Escape, Steal Gil, Eye for a Eye
    5*: Counter, Mug, Bandit

Pros: Zidane is the best thief in the game I'm honestly just gonna throw that out there. Basically, all of his skills are mean't for either stealing, or countering. Zidane gets high praise in areas like Colosseum cause he's more effective at stealing at anyone else let's say that Steal has a 30% chance of working on any base unit (the actual % is unknown, but 30% seems like a good assumption), Zidane would have 60% cause of him having Bandit as a maxed 5*. In basic sense, if you want something that's needed to be stole like a evo mat Zidane will easily get the job done. In his later levels, he learns Mug which combined with Bandit means you'll have a 100% chance to steal something everytime. 5% to steal Heaven's Ash, LOLnope Zidane says 100%.

Cons: However, stealing is all Zidane can do. As I said before, all of his skills lie in stealing, or being able to counter. Namely stealing more so than countering all of his moves basically is stealing which when you need a DPS attacker Zidane cannot be this he's namely good for getting materials for crafting, or evolution that's it. He's a one-use unit sadly. He lacks any real attacking moves things like Breaks, or any stat passives as well. He's again a good thief, Gimme back my crops, you dirty hoolum!. Cover the Girls acts as something like a attack blocker similar to Cecil's Sentinel, but the proc rate is so terribly low that he'll almost never get to use it. Most counter rates are 30% or higher, his is a mere 5% of proc chance. It's sad cause Cover the Girls would've went great with Counter if he jumped in front of a attack since he has a 60% counter rate (doubled from Eye for a Eye) meaning he /could/ deal more damage by playing bodyguard despite him not having the defenses for it.

Trust Mastery Award: Zidane's TMA is arugably one of the best ones even in JP, units by default can hold 1 weapon, and 1 shield. With Dual-Wield you can hold two weapons which is extremely good cause it heavily boosts the DPS of any unit imagine a unit holding Murasame, and Great Sword +88 in ATK on one unit? Sounds legit as heck! Yes, farm his TMA as fast as you can this should be one of the first ones to unlock imo.

Comparing to Other Units: As I said before, Zidane is unmatched when coming to stealing however other units that possess the ability like Vaan for example Vaan shuts Zidane down easily cause of him having better offensively suited skills like Full Break, and a AoE buff in Concentrate. Cecil is still the best counter unit in the game cause he's a pure tank and the best one at that. Compared to Zidane's lowly 5%, and Cecil's 30% from Sentinel.

Conclusion: Zidane is worth to have when you need to grind items, materials, and evo mats. He's really good at that so I would grab him for making items, and his TMA which is one of the best ones in the game right now. As opposed of everything else like boss content, and harder things like trials I would leave Zidane out unless the boss has a rare item that could be stolen, but as it is now, that's not the case.

Elza, Maverick and Rinny like this.
  2. deeception

deeception Well-Known Member

Thanks for this.

I pulled him at 5* and was wondering what to do with him.

Jet Stingren likes this.
  3. Elli27

Elli27 Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    CoD, ExD, WoL
    Glad I got him, big help for farming mats

4. SubZero

SubZero Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    902 071 137
    Leads:
    Noctis
    Well bro.. Actually Zidane is from FF9 LoL

5. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Casually Retired. VIP

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    Ah, mb fixed.

6. Shodan

Shodan Ascended Member

I'd like to have him because even maxed Paul and Eldin are starting to have a really hard time stealing in the collisium once you get to A level.
    I assume there is some kind of level difference factored into steal success. but he is kind of limited.

rayci likes this.
  7. Serapium

Serapium Member

My fav char in ff9
    Pulled him couple of days ago, finally i have bandit fantastic four: vaan, zidane, paul and eldin
    I think zidane is must have unit because of his tmr, he's not great but he's good
    keep stealing all the way

8. Maverick

Maverick Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    I think bandit makes steal 100% I hadn't missed since I got it.
    Btw any though on equipping Zidane with Golem for provoke?, I noticed his counter rate is insanely high

9. Jmac

Jmac Active Member

Does anyone use Zidane regularly as their leader? I'm looking for Zidane friends to make stealing throughout explorations less painful.

10. Stein

Stein Well-Known Member Supporter

Me.

11. OGsterz

OGsterz New Member

Reading this I want him even more.. Really hope he's getting a rates up soon

Jmac likes this.
  12. Mother

Mother Member

add me if you need a 5* Zidane. ID: 032,96,822

13. Mother

Mother Member

not forgetting, it help to escape from difficult battle and go directly to bosses.

14. Werchaud

Werchaud Member

Is it me or his 'steal gil' ability is bugged in Colosseum ?

It seems to work as intended (it show : you stole XXX gils), but I checked my amount of gil before and after an arena orb. And it was the same :(

In INT, it's something like 300 gils a mob. It means around 8 or 10k a day. Not a fortune, but still nice. Since I use it, I miss around maybe 100-150k :/

Is there a bug report section here ? I didn't saw it on the forum, nor in the game.

15. Heartlina

Heartlina New Member

I think zidane could actually work out as a high atk tank. with his high chance of counter, he can deal huge damage. then equip him with armor and mental break (when armor break is released as a recipe), he can pass as a weaker Van or warrior of light

Ravoc likes this.
  16. Neptune

Neptune Member

I think it's important to point out how Dual Wield works so people aren't confused. It's not simply "use 2 weapons, now you have a lot higher atk".

Dual Wield makes your character attack twice, using damage calculations using the weapon in your left hand first, then the right. Doesn't work with spells but it does with Abilities and Attack. You don't actually get a raise in the Atk stat due to how the Dual Wield materia works. Yes you'll do more damage but as you can see it's a little more complicated than that.

17. sh4D

sh4D Member

ohh seems nice

i just got it at 5s directly from summon im investigating what to do whit him