1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Basch (Final Fantasy XII)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Nyx frens pls Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Nyx | JP: Hyou
    The former captain of the Kingdom of Dalmasca's forces who appears in tales of the distant world known as Ivalice. Basch had the King's full confidence and was held in high regard by the people of Dalmasca until the Archadian Empire invaded and hatched its plot to frame him for the assassination of his own liege. Although false reports claimed that Basch was executed for this crime, he was in fact kept in solitary confinement somewhere in the Nalbina Dungeons. This is where he eventually meets an imprisoned Vaan and his friends, which he then joins in order to escape his shackles.
    BASCH LIVES! I'M THE BASCH FON RONSENBERG!

Basch Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Zodiac Escutcheon (Heavy Shield) - +60 DEF, +70 SPR, Decoy Pose (10% Chance to Dodge Physical Attacks), Resist Lightning(50%)

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3745 (+390) Mag: 108 (+26)
    MP: 162 (+65) Def: 151 (+34)
    Atk: 132 (+26) Spr: 140 (+26)

6* Limit Burst:
    Flame Purge (Base / 26 LB-Crysts): ST 2 Hit 860% Physical Attack, Evade up to 3 Physical Attacks for 3 Turns
    Flame Purge (Max / 26 LB-Crysts): ST 2 Hit 1100% Physical Attack, Evade up to 3 Physical Attacks for 3 Turns

5*: Lvl 1 Commander's Orders (80 MP) - AOE +70% DEF/SPR For 5 Turns

5*: Lvl 12 Arms Eraser (48 MP) - AOE -45% ATK/MAG Debuff for For 3 Turns

5*: Lvl 38 Armor Eraser (48 MP) - AOE -45% DEF/SPR Debuff for For 3 Turns

5*: Lvl 62 Confusing Lament (22 MP / 1-Hit) - ST 300% Physical Attack, ST -50% MAG Debuff for For 5 Turns

5*: Lvl 80 Inescapable Disaster (22 MP / 1-Hit) - ST 300% Physical Attack, ST -50% SPR Debuff for For 5 Turns

6*: Lvl 1 Fulminating Darkness (22 MP / 1-Hit) - ST 300% Physical Attack, ST -50% ATK Debuff for For 5 Turns

6*: Lvl 23 Ruin Impendent (22 MP / 1-Hit) - ST 300% Physical Attack, ST -50% DEF Debuff for For 5 Turns

6*: Lvl 91 Twilight Guard (36 MP) - 75% Chance to Defend Allies with 50% Damage Reduction for For 3 Turns

6*: Lvl 100 Dawn Guard (36 MP) - 75% Chance to Defend Allies with 50% Damage Reduction for For 3 Turns
    5*: Lvl 1 Undead Killer - +50% Physical Damage to Reaper

5*: Lvl 25 - DEF + 30%

5*: Lvl 49 Loyal Spirit - +20% HP, +20% DEF/SPR When Equipped with a Light Shield, +20% DEF/SPR When Equipped with a Heavy Shield

6*: Lvl 11 - SPR + 30%

6*: Lvl 35 - HP + 20%

6*: Lvl 48 Auto-Refresh - Recover 5% MP per Turn

6*: Lvl 59 Spirit of the Fighter - 30% Chance to Counter Physical Attacks With Spirit of the Fighter: Self 400 HP Heal With 16.0X Mod

6*: Lvl 76 Undying Fighter - 30% Chance to Counter Magical Attacks With Undying Fighter: Self 50 MP Recovery

Pros:
    Here he comes! He actually lives! Ok enough with the Basch memes.

Basch is another tank. His stats already are very promising. His base HP is great, his base DEF is insane and his SPR is just great, too. That's basically all he needs. And once you equip any shield on him, you will get a total of 40% HP and 50% DEF/SPR with also a 5% MP refresh. Great base stats, good passives, thumbs up!

He has two counters though that will be very valuable for im as you will see later on. One of them is a 30% chance to counter physical attacks with a 400 HP heal and a 16.0x mod! This can heal up very large amounts of HP once you apply stat buffs. While the other counter is a 30% chance to counter magic attacks with a fixed 50 MP heal. Both of these are just great, sometimes you will end up with a fully healed HP/MP Basch at the end of the turn just from his counters!

Moving on to his active ability.... every single one of them is good. Basch does not have a single bad ability currently.

Commander's Orders is an AoE 5 turn 70% DEF/SPR buff! Basically the equivalent to Wilhelm's buff! If you lack units like Roy or Soleil or need this for emergencies, it's just great. Just keep the MP cost in mind....

Stealing Warrior of Light's moves, Basch now offers Arms / Armor Eraser, basically an AoE 3 turn 45% ATK/MAG or DEF/SPR break. These are still very valuable and I can only recommend using them. Many people to this day used Warrior of Light just because he offers his strong breaks. Making Basch already a great breaker while being a tank.

But what if you want different breaks? Well, Basch won't stop there. Using only 22 MP each, Basch has seperated ST 50% breaks. And you know what? They last 5 turns. THIS can be so handy, especially if the enemy has e.g. a MAG break immunity and you only want to break ATK. 5 turn duration on a break makes you able to use more abilities in between or guard. Again, these are all seperated into either ATK or MAG or DEF or SPR, no coupled breaks.

Basch is just an amazing tank. Something which makes him even more amazing is Twilight Guard and Dawn Guard. Basch is able to EITHER cover all allies from physical damage with a 50%~70% damage mitigation OOOOOOR from all magic damage with a 50%~70% damage mitigation. The damage mitigation part is RNG based, so averagely 60% damage mitigation. They also have very high proc chances, 75% for each ally, making it a reliable tank. So yes, Basch can be both your amazing AoE physical tank and your AoE magic tank.
    Combined with his counters, as a physical AoE tank he goes back up to full HP basically and as a magic tank to full MP.
    But wait, it gets even better...

Just take a look at Basch's equipment selection. He can literally equip every armor and almost any weapon. You can perfectly adjust him to the type of damage he gets. Make him your AoE magic tank? Give him robes and staves. Making him your AoE phys tank? Helms and Heavy armors. You can make him have huge elemental resistance, huge DEF , great SPR, it's just a blessing for him.

Cons:
    Or rather nitpicking. I can already tell you right off the bet: he doesn't really have any real cons that make him a lot lot worse. But he has a few and they still deserve to be talked about.

Basch has low MP. Now hear me out, basically any tank has awful MP. And this only affects Basch as a physical tank, as a magic tank you will almost always have full MP. Also, Commander's Order use up 80 MP, so that could be a problem for that. But overall, you won't really have them, he just has low MP.

However, something which is actually a bit more important: Basch does not have any status ailment protection. This can be a bummer against fights like Malboro, because there will be a lot of status ailments. And, while Basch can equip every armor in the game, he still has to prepare for it somehow. So you might lose out on important stats.

Now, for the last real con. His Limit Burst is .... useless? It's a damaging LB that grants him 3 100% evades and also costs 26 LB crysts. I mean, for LB kill missions it's good to have a tank use it, but.... still. For everything else it's just really bad, I don't want my tank to deal damage and 3 100% evasion are only half of an AoE phys move. Don't bother leveling it up, please.

Side-Notes:
    No enhancements or 7* for him yet in JP. Will update once we get the 7* version in JP, as we should get it in the next week or so.
    EDIT: We have his 7*, he basically only gains higher stats and a 4 turn CD 65% fullbreak, also able to W ability his 50% 5 turn breaks, making him a great unit to start the fight with regarding breaks.
    About him in the future, he is damn good. JP got him at a way later point in the game we are going to get him and even in JP he might have not been a gamebreaker, but he was definitely a force to be reckoned with. And he will last for a very long time, maybe even until 7*s. Many people still use him even in the 7* meta, his stats just do everything and the versatility of being a phys and mag tank is so great. His kit is just too good. Huge equipment selection makes him insane against 3* esper fights, easy 100% evasion builds always are welcomed. Just mhhhm.

Best In Slot:
    We are going with three different builds on this one. Full physical tank, Full Magic tank and full evasion.
    Gigantaxe (15% HP)
    Zodiac Escutcheon (60 DEF, 70 SPR, 10% Evasion)
    Grand Helm (45 DEF, 20% DEF)
    Grand Armor (72 DEF, 25 SPR, 15% HP)
    Arsha's Talisman x2 (40% HP, 20% DEF/SPR)
    4x Rasler TMR (120% HP, 80% DEF)

Stats with Bahamut:
    13710 HP
    741 DEF
    441 SPR
    10% Evasion
    Holy Wand (120 SPR)
    Ziedrich (70 DEF, 35 SPR, 15% HP)
    Glacial Hat (500 HP, 16 DEF, 51 SPR)
    Rainbow Robe (45 DEF/SPR)
    Arsha's Talisman x2 (40% HP, 20% DEF/SPR)
    Thirst of Survival (30% HP/SPR)
    Staff Mastery (50% SPR)
    ADV 5 (40% DEF/SPR)
    Rasler TMR (30% HP, 20% DEF)

Stats with bahamut:
    11108 HP
    621 DEF
    796 SPR
    Kiyomori (10% Evasion)
    Zodiac Escutcheon (60 DEF, 70 SPR, 10% Evasion)
    Glacial hat (500 HP, 16 DEF, 51 SPR)
    Assassin's Vest (40 DEF, 20 SPr, 10% Evasion)
    Ring of the Lucii x2 (50% Evasion)
    2x Shine TMR (20% Evasion)
    Thirst of Survival (30% HP/SPR)
    Rasler TMR (30% HP, 20% DEF)

Stats with Bahamut:
    8334 HP
    431 DEF
    504 SPR

100% Evasion

Arena:
    Probably the most annoying Arena tank as an AoE physical tank because he basically goes up to full health each time. But tanks generally aren't really great in Arena, so I'd rather pass. His breaks might be useful to you as a beginner.

Basch [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Enhanced Wilhelm

No comparing provoke tanks with AoE tanks. However, Basch has great stats and CAN act as a provoke + AoE MAG tans in very specific fights. Simply equip Iris' TMR on him and use Golem's provoke after your AoE MAG Cover move, maybe Basch survives that and actually saves up a unit slot. Also...
    Wilhelm has a moustache.

Basch [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Enhanced Warrior of Light
    • Basch has way higher base stats and higher defensive passives
    • Both have the same equipment selection
    • Both have the same AoE physical cover
    • Basch has an AoE magic cover
    • Basch's counters are a lot stronger
    • Both have no status ailment immunities
    • Both have the same AoE breaks
    • Basch has more break options with his 50% ST breaks
    • Basch has an AoE 5 turn 70% DEF/SPR buff
    Basch basically takes Warrior of Light's kit and improves every part of it. So there is absolutely no way for Warrior of Light to win this comparison because Basch has basically everything the same, just better.
    However, Basch is more of a luxury unit. Warrior of Light still is decent enough for the most part. But for the sake of the comparison:
    Basch wins. By being 95% the same in just better.

Basch [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Mystea
    • Basch has way higher base stats and higher defensive passives
    • Basch has an insane equipment selection
    • Basch has a stronger AoE Magic cover (~10% higher mitigation, higher proc chance)
    • Mystea can ST Magic Cover
    • Basch has an AoE 70% 5 turn DEF/SPR buff
    • Mystea can cast AoE 100% status ailment immunity with stop resistance
    • Mystea's Limit Burst has a maxed 42% 3 turn damage mitigation buff
    • Basch has AoE breaks
    • Basch has ST breaks
    • Basch has strong counter HP/MP heals
    This comparison is not like Warrior of Light.
    Basch completely outperforms Mystea as a magic tank. He can equip every armor and a lot of weapons, has way higher base stats and great passives while Mystea has a very limited weapon selection and not even innate HP passives. His AoE magic cover has higher mitigation and proc chances and Basch also brings his decent AoE DEF/SPR buff and his strong breaks + counters.
    However, Mystea has her Limit Burst and her 100% AoE status ailment + stop immunity buff. This can be handy for some fights and thus Mystea keeps a niche aspect over Basch. However, the difference regarding pure tanking is way higher in the previous comparison.
    Basch generally wins.

Trust Master Reward:
    Now, this is very important because many will compare this to Gladio's TMR: Ziedrich.
    Ziedrich grants 70 DEF, 35 SPR and 15% HP.
    Zodiac Escutcheon grants 60 DEF, 70 SPR, 50% lightning resistance and 10% Evasion. So if you don't go evasion builds or go for generally magic tanking on Basch, Ziedrich will be better. However, Basch for instance already has really good stats, making 10% evasion a nice thing to have. At that point, either you want to go for evasion or you want the off chance of evading. Overall Basch's TMR will see a lot more usage, but for AoE mag tanking or absolutely no evasion, Ziedrich will be better. Still, it's an insane heavy shield and even if you have Ziedrich, go grab this shield.

Conclusion:
    Basch
    is an insane tank. He has great great stats, he has a completely busted equipment selection (just as WoL), he has great counters, great breaks, decent buffs, and the best thing:
    Both AoE covers with great mitigation and proc chances.
    This guy, once you get him, he will most likely be a staple unit. It doesn't matter. Need a mage tank? Use Basch. Need a phys tank? Use Basch. He performs the best as an AoE tank and even then, you can still try to make him useful with Iris TMR to go provoke + AoE MAG tank on him (even though I don't recommend it really). You can build him evasion, high SPR, high DEF, whatever you want. This guy pulls it off and shines with his great kit.
    Most likely Balthier will also be better depending on the buffs, so as things look now, I can only encourage you to go for Basch. But if you have Mystea and WoL, you do not have to worry. Basch is NOT a needed unit for any content.

Character Design: 9/10
    Sprite: 7.5/10
    Tank: 9.5/10
    Trust Master Reward: 9/10
    Arena: 3/10
    Limit Burst: 3/10
    Future Proof: 9.5/10
    Free 2 Play: 9/10
    Pay 2 Play: 9.5/10
    Personal Rating: 9.5/10
    Optimal Rating: 9.5/10

[On-Banner Reviews]
    [​IMG] Balthier (5*)

That's it guys. I wish you good luck in advance once you go for this guy. His is one damn beast and will be around for a long time. Maybe a unit that won't get benched until we get a new god damn monster.
    *looks at a possible new GE unit*

Wanna support me?
    My Patreon

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  2. Mcleod

Mcleod Retired - Immortal0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TDH Chuck Norris
    Yes hype train! Sigh i was hoping to avoid whaling until cg Fina but...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Master Red, Liola, RenShin and 19 others like this.
  3. Solitas

Solitas Ascended Member

He's alright ... I guess.

Memnarchon likes this.
  4. Exdeath-chan

Exdeath-chan Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    2Booty 5life
    DO NOT LISTEN TO ONDORE'S LIES

Lyra, Rynal, Jman1115 and 2 others like this.
  5. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Nyx frens pls Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GUMI knows what you are trying to do.

Exdeath-chan likes this.
  6. Nheko

Nheko Ascended Member

Ohhhhhh please RNG just let me have this one!!!!!!

SolidKeith, Skullkid and Memel0rd like this.
  7. udon

udon 「or not to [B]e」 VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    god damn this unit is insane

i'm on this hype train

lol just noticed i can rap

Redtide, Hillgigas209 and Memel0rd like this.
  8. Mokujin22

Mokujin22 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fire Kylo
    Wow.. he is a beast. Was getting sad that I spent all the time getting Mystea (and Wilhelm) up to level 25 LB, but having read your conclusion, I'm not going to fret.

Great review as always, sir! Thanks for doing these.

Memel0rd likes this.
  9. Magoya

Magoya The Leading Mustache VIP Supporter Spanish Moderator

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh, TT
    I'm uber hyped.

Redtide and Memel0rd like this.
  10. Poots

Poots "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    eYun, eTidus, eTT, eLando
    As a F2P player, this is the kind of unit who I really like existing - where he's clearly, clearly better than all the other 4* options, but at the same time...isn't insanely better. He does the jobs well, for sure, but he's literally just a bonus version of existing characters. It's the perfect balance of "want to pull him" and "won't mind if he doesn't drop into my lap"

11. Ranakel

Ranakel Ascended Member

Global ID:
    I'M BASCH VON ROSENBURG OF DALMASCA!
    DON'T LISTEN TO ONDORE'S LIES!
    (that is the extent of my reaction)

LMoS, GR13V3R, Lyra and 1 other person like this.
  12. Carnefix

Carnefix Newsl0rd Staff Member Moderator Arena Runner Up S2 VIP Supporter German Moderator Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    416 022 660
    Leads:
    TDH Hyoh, Nyx, Tidus
    Thanks for the review :)

Exactly was I was thinking. I see him as a good investment for the 7* meta if/when we get it in GL.

13. Synsilliusarian

Synsilliusarian Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh
    Oh I do need a magic tank... But I got a rainbow last week so I hardly think RNG gods will be that kind to me.

14. Koubo

Koubo Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Chritine|A2|GLS|Barbie
    Please Meme, don't do that nooooooo! i won't pull now! ! ! :(

Seriously, My healer's slot is probably the worse of my team and i would like to wait CG Fina because Ayaka hate me. But damn, i knew ha was great, his TMR is great, everything look fine.
    (remember, i don't have a rainbow tank or healer, so no OP shield)
    However, i have all the 3 toptier Gold Tank (Ev, Wol and Mystea) all are full poted (or working on for Mystea) but i only manage to spend some BurstPot on Mystea for now (Ev is still Lv1 >.<)

I started building Cagnazzo for a good tanky provok tank.

And with my current luck (something like 50 rainbowless now lul) and my ressources (5600 lapis) i'm f*cked. I don't think i can plan to spend money now (hard time in real life) so, can i be lucky this time Goomi? i don't thiiink so.

I'll do daily, for now. I can't really afford more

Anyway : Tanks again Meme x)
    (i knew i shouldn't read that)

Reinn. and Scafa like this.
  15. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Don't pull then, I'm serious.

16. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
    [​IMG]

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I have been waiting for BASCH since JP Release! I cant believe the time has come. The true Successor to WoL. BASCH... AND HE LIVES!!!

DUn care what anyone says, I AM PULLING!

PS: Sorry memes, was on vacation, did you missed me? ::rudecat5::

Redtide, Lyra and Khidir like this.
  17. IMJUSTICE

IMJUSTICE Ascended Member

Awesome review this guy seems like a real bad ass tanker, sadly I'm going to stick with my 4* tanks.... I won't be chasing any 5* for quite a while.

Memel0rd likes this.
  18. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
    Same..

Redtide likes this.
  19. Synsilliusarian

Synsilliusarian Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID: