1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Blossom Sage Sakura (Final Fantasy Brave Exvius)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Dragonl0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager Arena Runner-Up VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Tidus | JP: Dark Veritas
    A sage who travels with Lasswell providing her vast knowledge and expertise in magic. Although Sakura's appearance leads many to believe that she is but a child, she is actually more than 700 years old. She has chosen to dedicate her life to helping young people, even though her age often shows in the manner she addresses them.
    Here we go, the mage many people waited for, the mage with massive power! A small 700 year old granny.

Blossom Sage Sakura Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Sage of Mysidia (Materia) - Increase MP (20%) and MAG (40%)
    Increase LB gauge (2) per turn

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3476 (+450) Mag: 160 (+30)
    MP: 211 (+75) Def: 130 (+30)
    Atk: 101 (+30) Spr: 146 (+30)

6* Limit Burst:
    Eternal Ray (Base / 30 LB-Crysts): 40-Hit Magic damage (10x) to all enemies
    Eternal Ray (Max / 30 LB-Crysts): 40-Hit Magic damage (14.8x) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 1 Quick Combo (0 MP) - Use Quick skills twice in one turn

5*: Lvl 18 Quick Shock Blade (9 MP / 1-Hit) - Lightning magic damage (1.8x) to one enemy
    Decrease lightning resistance (50%) for 3 turns to one enemy

5*: Lvl 35 Quick Light Blade (9 MP / 1-Hit) - Light magic damage (1.8x) to one enemy
    Decrease light resistance (50%) for 3 turns to one enemy

5*: Lvl 42 Quick Dark Blade (9 MP / 1-Hit) - Dark magic damage (1.8x) to one enemy
    Decrease dark resistance (50%) for 3 turns to one enemy

5*: Lvl 50 Quick Final Thunder (32 MP) - Lightning magic damage (3x) with consecutive increase (8 times, 1.5x each, 15x max) to one enemy

5*: Lvl 72 Thunder's Protection (23 MP) - Increase lightning, light, and dark resistance (50%) for 3 turns to all allies

5*: Lvl 80 Defensive Barrier (24 MP) - Mitigate damage taken (20%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 23 Quick Thunder's Light (25 MP / 2-Hit) - Lightning magic damage (2.3x) to all enemies
    Decrease lightning resistance (50%) for 3 turns to all enemies

6*: Lvl 39 Quick Bright Flash (28 MP / 2-Hit) - Light magic damage (2.3x) to all enemies
    Decrease light resistance (50%) for 3 turns to all enemies

6*:
    Lvl 59 Quick Blighted Gloom (28 MP / 2-Hit) - Dark magic damage (2.3x) to all enemies
    Decrease dark resistance (50%) for 3 turns to all enemies

6*: Lvl 62 Quick Offensive (57 MP) - Increase ATK (100%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 76 Quick Magic (57 MP) - Increase MAG (100%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 91 Status Reset (65 MP) - Increase resistance to all status ailments (100%) for 5 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 96 Quick Refresh (23 MP) - Refresh (90 MP) split over 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 100 Quick Rebel Intention (65 MP / 1-Hit) - Magic damage (6.5x) with ignore SPR (25%) to all enemies
    5*: Lvl 10 White Light's Protection - Increase resistance to silence, paralyze, and confuse (100%)

5*: Lvl 31 - MAG + 30%

5*: Lvl 52 Auto-Refresh - Recover MP (5%) per turn

5*: Lvl 68 - MP + 30%

5*: Lvl 80 Rod Mastery - Increase MAG (50%) when equipped with a rod

6*: Lvl 45 Shocking Revenge - Chance to counter magic attacks (20%) with Decrease lightning resistance (100%) for 3 turns to one enemy

6*: Lvl 48 - SPR + 30%

6*: Lvl 83 Energy Change - Chance to counter physical attacks (20%) with Energy Change (max 1/turn)
    Chance to counter magic attacks (20%) with Energy Change (max 1/turn)
    Energy Change - Recover MP (30) to all allies

6*: Lvl 86 - HP + 20%

Pros:
    Oh god, where do I even start? Oh right, at the base stats... :^)

Her stats, well... they are just absolutely amazing. Decent base HP, massive base MP/MAG, in fact one of the highest MAG stats in the games and good DEF/SPR, basically everything! And her passives complement that. In total 80% MAG with a rod, 30% MP + 5% MP refresh, 20% HP and 30% SPR. This. Is. Great. For a mage, Blossom Sage Sakura already has a nice sustainability and survivability. Besides, she also has status ailment protection against silence, paralyze and confusion. Now that's something, eh?

Blossom Sage Sakura has some counters though. Two in this case! Her first counter being Shocking Revenge: a 20% mag counter that imperils lightning by 100% to one enemy! If you proc this the damage output from her just blows up.
    The latter being Energy Change, a more supportive counter. It has a 20% phys/mag counter chance to recover 30 flat MP to every party member. While this is limited to one counter per turn, 30 MP still can help you out. Especially if you don't rock specific MP batteries.

Right off the bet, Blossom Sage Sakura is able to use every ability that has "Quick -" in its name twice per turn. This will come in very handy, not only for damage output but also for her great supportive aspects. I will talk about the few support moves that are not affected by this firstly.

Which are Defensive Barrier, Thunder's Protection and most importantly Status Reset. The first two are handy, not needed though. AoE 20% damage mitigation and AoE 50% lightning/light/dark resistance. It's nice to have, especially if either the actual mitigation buffer is either busy or you simply need it to survive threshholds.
    Though Status Reset is just great. You know how Mystea can protect your team against all status ailments for 3 turns? Blossom Sage Sakura does that for 5 whopping turns. I can't tell you how great this is against trials like Malboro and Echidna, definitely something I'd welcome for said fights.

Now! Off to the supportive moves that CAN be dualcasted!
    We have three different abilities here as well. Quick Offensive/Magic and Quick Refresh. The first two are buffing ATK or MAG seperately by 100% for 3 turns to all allies. This not only can be used to set up other damage dealers but also her own damage. Yes, it is quite costly with 57 MP, but Blossom Sage Sakura can shine with this in 10 man trials or other fun combinations. In the future we will see a materia reward with an AoE 2 turn 100% DEF/SPR buff (also 10% mitigation). You can easily get to 100% AoE all stat with Blossom Sage Sakura + XY unit that way! Or, something which people already mentioned, Blossom Sage Sakura combined with Grim Lord Sakura. She has a similar move which lasts 3 turns instead of 2.
    Quick Refresh is a basic AoE 30 MP / turn mp refresh for 3 turns, can easily recover a lot of MP if you also get the previously mentioned counters! Great if you don't use bards.

Looking at her damage moves, we have six different types of imperil moves. We have a set of Quick XY Blades that all deal pretty minor damage and also imperil either lightning, holy or dark by 50% for 3 turns to one enemy. So these are the ST versions, notably having only a 9 MP cost. Super cheap.
    Then we have Quick Thunder's Light, Quick Bright Flash and Quick Blighted Gloom. Everyone of them dealing mediocre damage to all enemies and imperiling, again, lightning, holy or dark by 50% to all enemies. Basically a stronger AoE variant, but costs a bit more MP.

And, before we jump into the last moves she offers, let's take a look at her Limit Burst. It's a very fun way to chain honestly. Since all of her active ability are finisher type ability, why not make her LB a chain move?
    It costs 30 LB crysts and I can already tell you: you won't actually use this for serious chaining. But if you run two Blossom Sage Sakuras, you can get a 79 perfect chain from that with a massive modifier! I see it more as a fun thing to use rather than a serious strategy for most cases.

Two moves left, HANG ON GUYS! ::rudecat14::

Quick Rebel Intention is a very powerful AoE non elemental finisher. It's a ~865% modifier, so a decent upgrade from Alterna, while also costing less than Alterna. This can be very useful for trials such as Malboro and Bloody Moon where you have to kill everything in the same turn, so Blossom Sage Sakura can safely act as a finisher.

Finally. The best move of Blossom Mage Sakura is...
    Quick Final Thunder. It is a stacking move, starting at 300%, increases by 150% per use and goes up to 1500% modifiers! And, as the name tells us, it can be dualcasted. So after 4 turns, you are reaching the maximum modifier already, which is a 3000% finisher mod per turn! Combine that with her own 50% thunder imperil or possibly her 100% thunder counter and you will get a lot lot damage.

Cons:
    Honestly, there are mainly minor cons.

The first one being MP. As you will see later on, her MP is very high. In fact, it takes quite a time to use it up, so don't take this for too granted. But many of her abilities have very high MP costs. From 57 to 65 MP per use, there are several ones. Especially using Quick Rebel Intention will drain Blossom Sage Sakura's MP very fast. So keep track of it, but with her counters and her AoE Mp refresh if needed, she can also counteract that con herself in that regard.

As I mentioned earlier, her Limit Burst takes 30 LB crysts and Blossom Sage Sakura does not have innate hightide passives, so it's not really reliable for actual chaining. More of a fun ability.

Sadly Blossom Sage Sakura only has that stacking move for the thunder element. That sort of limits her in a minor way for ST damage, but again, you have the option to use the AoE finisher if you desperately need non elemental damage instead of thunder and she'd still be a powerful magic finisher. There really isn't a big con in her kit that's like "oh damn fam, look at that!"

Side-Notes:
    Currently, Blossom Sage Sakura has a 7* version in JP but did not receive enhancements yet, so the following statements can change over the time.
    Blossom Sage Sakura gains higher mods on some of her abilities, MAG true dualwield or MAG true doublehand and also some cool buffs. For instance, she can infuse thunder element on your units, which can be a very strong thing to use. Especially if you use TDH with units like CG Hyou.
    Other than that, she currently also has a pentacast of her thunder abilities available on every fifth turn. However, regular chainers outside of Luneth 7* cannot fully chain cap this. Generally Emperor 7* is a stronger finisher than she is, but she is not enhanced yet.
    Overall, Blossom Sage Sakura's 7* is still super powerful and she will remain being an insane finisher for a very long time.

Best In Slot:
    The usual stuff :). No limited gear as always!
    2x Mateus Malice (258 MAG, 20% HP)
    Minstrel's Prayer (DEF+8, MAG+42, SPR+46, MP +20%)
    Rainbow Robe (45 DEF/MAG/SPR)
    Genji Glove (10% MAG, DW)
    Magical Crest (30% MAG/SPR)
    ADV 5 (40% DEF/MAG/SPR)
    SSP-Light (40% MAG, 20% HP)
    Dark Bond (50% MAG)
    Rod Mastery (50% MAG)

Stats with Bahamut:
    6346 HP
    489 MP
    341 DEF
    1169 MAG
    507 SPR

Arena:
    She can work out here. AoE magic attacks, decent HP to offer, some status ailment protection and AoE MP counters against these pesky Rems. She isn't the pinnacle of arena units, but she definitely can do stuff here, especially if you want to imperil the enemy for... whatever reason. I recommend using her in the Arena, but she's not top priority.

Blossom Sage Sakura [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Enhanced Emperor
    • BSSakura has way higher base MAG
    • BSSakura can equip maces (for Aquan killer)
    • Emperor has way higher survivability
    • Both can imperil their own element by 50%
    • BSSakura has higher base mods and Dual Ability
    • BSSakura needs 4 turns to reach the max, Emperor 10
    • Emperor can buff his own MAG by 200%
    • Both have some status ailment protection
    • Both's stacking move is elemental locked
    • Emperor has basically 0 MP costs
    • BSSakura has many supportive aspects
    Blossom Sage Sakura has so much to offer. She has various types of buffs: from status ailment protection to stat buffs to damage mitigation or MP refreshs. She also has great counters, which you should not rely on but are very appreciated if procced. Besides that, you don't even need to math it out in this case:
    Blossom Sage Sakura has a 3000% modifier after 4 turns (4500% with 50% imperil) while Emperor has a 2500% modifier (3750% with 50% imperil) after 10 turns! Yes, you will have to imperil with BSSakura sometimes, but that'd only delay it by another 2 turns while the overall modifier is higher anyways and faster acquired. Also no! I'm not lazy... ok maybe a little bit. But there is no point in doing fake damage maths this time. Only niche Emperor really has over her currently is that he takes up 0 effective MP.
    Blossom Sage Sakura wins.

Blossom Sage Sakura [​IMG] V
    S [​IMG] Enhanced Rem

• BSSakura has way higher base MAG but 20% less passives
    • Rem has really high SPR while going a mage build
    • BSSakura can imperil her own element by 50%
    • BSSakura has dual ability
    • BSSakura has higher base mods, stronger damage increase and a higher cap
    • Rem can choose from many different elements due to equipment selection
    • BSSakura has status ailment protection
    • Rem can heal for a good amount even as a DPS
    • BSSakura has many great buffs
    • Rem can utilise physical killers
    While Rem does have some selling points, for instance being a red mage enabling strong heals even as a damage dealer, basically full raising people and maintain a decent damage output when needed, Blossom Sage Sakura regarding damage does a lot lot better. She already beat Emperor, who, after a short amount of time is, is a powerhouse. Since Blossom Sage Sakura also offers many great buffs that can benefit many different teams while also imperilling her own element while also offering 50% holy/dark imperils, I can easily say this:
    Blossom Sage Sakura wins again.

Trust Master Reward:
    While I didn't include this in the BiS section, it's 40% MAG, 20% MP and two auto LB. This is a great deal for mages that want their LBs up to be quite often. You could add this instead of the ADV 5 or SSP-Light if you actually want to chain with her Limit Burst! But outside of that, if the auto LB portion is not needed for you, other TMRs will serve better in an optimal comparison. I could think of possibly Veritas of the Light using it due to her insane DEF/SPR breaks from her Limit Burst. If you know mages with great LBs, let me know!
    EDIT: Ace also might be worth to use it on if you use him as a finisher.

Conclusion:
    Well, I think I can't hide it any longer...
    Blossom Sage Sakura is trash.
    - Just kidding! Blossom Sage Sakura is a really really strong mage. Currently she is the best mage finisher you can find on the market as she stacks up super fast, has an element, has dual ability and a high mod, innate imperils (various) and also massive support buffs. Her stats are amazing with a huge base MAG and good defensive capabilities to survive some hits thrown at her. You might have issues with her MP if you use some moves, but generally as long as you are using some sort of MP regens, she should be fine for the most part.
    Blossom Sage Sakura is the only 5* on the banner and thus I can only tell you this: go for her. She is amazing. Amazing damage, amazing support, amazing synergy with some units. Top notch unit, one of the best ones we have seen in a while. She works well as a single DPS as well as a chained up one.

Character Design: 9.5/10
    Sprite: 9/10
    Finisher: 9.5/10
    Trust Master Reward: 8/10
    Arena: 7.5/10
    Limit Burst: 7.5-8/10
    Future Proof: 9.5/10
    Free 2 Play: 9/10
    Pay 2 Play: 9.5/10
    Personal Rating: 9.5/10
    Optimal Rating: 9.5/10

[On-Banner Reviews]
    [​IMG] Roselia (3*)

THAT'S IT. I've come up with a ---- wait no. I hope you enjoyed this review, the pros section felt like aaaaaaaaages, lol. Was quite happy when I finished it. Personally, I will not go hard for her. I already have my Emperor and I love him as a unit and I know he is a monster at 7*. But many many will go for her and as I said already, I can only encourage you to do that as well.

Wanna support me?
    My Patreon

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Arkadi, Takit, xX_Momonga_Xx and 70 others like this.
  2. Klaus

Klaus "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Any top tier magical chainer. Really.
    Nice review as always!

As people may know because of my rants, I have the top 5 magical chainers, this alone is enough to never pull for a mage ever again.

Grim Lady Sakura will have to be enough.
    Oh, and FIRST!!! Beaches! REEEEEEE

Memel0rd likes this.
  3. Vetur

Vetur Active Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Tidus, Christine, Luneth
    I have no GL Sakura (I do have Christine), but... I feel a bit iffy to pull for this Sakura anyway. Still, her banner will probably be the only one (for a long time?) where she is the sole 5*.

I suppose it's pointless to try to compare her with magic chainers (enhanced Trance Terra, Christine) huh?

4. Kiramon

Kiramon Ascended Member

TRASH I SAY! Lol

5. Konomiru

Konomiru Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    If you sold cars meme i would own way to many cars. Nice review and im now so conflicted to spend the last of my hard earned lapis to fate getting her...even tho i dont really have the gear for two magic users :eek:

Keep up the good work chap :)

Raef90 and Memel0rd like this.
  6. Novaultima

Novaultima Ascended Member

Leads:
    Prishe <3
    You kinda make me spending 50 bucks on the package with 2 10+1 tickets and 5000 Lapis, ending today ::ink::

Good thing is if you get her you can pair her with Sakura from story.

Rayber and Memel0rd like this.
  7. Consarn

Consarn Exaggerationl0rd VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Big Band
    Obligatory nya. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go grab my email.

8. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Dragonl0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager Arena Runner-Up VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I don't compare chainers to finishers :)

Redtide likes this.
  9. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Sadly I'm not a car seller, I'd have a lot more money if I was :eek:

Redtide likes this.
  10. Gully

Gully Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    LMF,OK, Fry, T.T, Orlandeu,BS Sakura
    Great Review!!! Hope i get her

Memel0rd likes this.
  11. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Wish you the best luck!

Redtide likes this.
  12. KWFFBE

KWFFBE "Hall of Fame" Member

Leads:
    CG Sakura, T.Terra, 2B, Tidus
    Having used her on JP, she is insanely strong for raw magical damage and utility (group support)... Yet I tend to perfer units like Exdeath, Dark Fina and Lulu, heck even shantoto.... because they all have a wider access to wider variety of elemental damage types... Sakura access to dark and light damage seems restrictive for me as many people seem not to rate being able to damage those two damage types particularly highly due to the frequency enemies tend to be highly resistant to the two.... So if Sakura had access to other extra elemental damage types it would render all other mages pointless....

If I want a pure elemental mage I would actually prefer Lulu or Kid Rydia, but if I want a mage with a lot of group support ability, nothing better than BSS Sakura

13. Smyley

Smyley Ascended Member Supporter

One question... in comparison of Sakura vs Emperor, is his 200% MAG buff of any consequence? ..since Sakura won't have that kind of buff from any souce as far as I'm aware

edit: I mean 3000% vs 2750%

14. Alphaeraser

Alphaeraser Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Loren, eLunera, Basch, Balthier
    Damn, you make me want her so bad. I hope the RNG wheel will spin and I can have some top tier mage at last and she looks FINE. So far I only got William( good boy), dark Fina and Refia as healer.

Memel0rd likes this.
  15. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    it's 3000% vs 2500% and yes the 200% mag would make a difference, but it's not enough. Also, you also have to include Emperor taking a lot more time to get up there and he'd lose an entire turn of damage for buffing up, all values into it

Redtide and Smyley like this.
  16. Luciella

Luciella Monthly Arena Champ Monthly Arena Champ VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Monster
    Definitely great unit. I don't think her sTMR absolutely necessary since I have so many Dark Fina to get her sTMR which is as good as CG Sakura's TMR.
    I think pulling 2x CG Sakura should be enough for this week.
    As for her LB, it's good to lv that up too since it chains perfectly with other very powerful upcoming character's LB such as CG Hyou, Loli Rydia, Aweakened Rain, and etc.

Troxny, The gang, syren555 and 4 others like this.
  17. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    For that I'm not quite sure how useful it'd be (except for kid rydia) , but still nice to know.
    Also keep in mind, it's very hard to spark chain Kid Rydia + CG Sakura because they both have their own weird delay

Redtide likes this.
  18. fletcha

fletcha VIP VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Tidus, Barb, BS Sakura
    I'm a fairly new emperor user, but I haven't been able to use his 200% buff because my Tilith is too busy doing Tilith stuff to put up break resistance to protect the party from his spr debuff. So for me that's a moot point.

19. Kaiser_Decimation

Kaiser_Decimation Ascended Member

Global ID:
    295 801 115
    Leads:
    Olive / Aileen
    I don't know if I'm going screen blind today lol, but I cant see the Quick Final Thunder in the abilities section?

20. Vatenkeist

Vatenkeist Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Main A2 ,Emperor ,TT ,Barb,Christine
    The Emperor is not amused by that 700 year old granny, and her masquerading as a better finisher. He NEVER dies either.