1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: CG Raegen

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Caliber, Jul 13, 2018 at 12:25 AM.

1. Caliber

Caliber VIP VIP

Not mine, I’m too lazy for this, I’ll stick to should you pulls
    All credit to
    Fr1tzOS on Reddit who doesn’t post here, so I will share it for this community

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/8yf6lw/cg_raegen_a_standin_review/

Hello all! As some of you may know Memelord is currently enjoying a well deserved holiday. Since I know a lot of us look forward to (or rely on) his reviews for new units, and not wanting a favourite unit of mine to go without one, I thought I'd step in and offer a stand in review for anyone who wants one. I've never done this before, so please forgive any bad formatting as I just wanted to give it a go!

This won't be a regular thing, and I won't be going into quite as much depth as Meme does, but without further ado (and hoping I'm not stepping on any toes):

CG Daddy Raegen
    Stats
    (6 Star Level 100 + Potted)

TMR: Hero's Vow - Dark
    Type: Special Ability (Passive)

Effect: Increase LB gauge fill rate (50%) Increase ATK (30%) when equipped with a katana
    Increase ATK (30%) when equipped with a sword
    Increase ATK (30%) when equipped with a dagger
    Increase ATK (30%) when equipped with a great sword

[UNSTACKABLE]

60% ATK and 50% LB fill rate? Delicious! BiS for almost any DW user.

Passives
    Raegan is pretty simple in this department:

• Innate Dual Wield is expected, but nonetheless great for beginners and frees up a materia slot.

• 30% HP adds a decent amount of bulk, which is backed up by a solid regen effect and a whopping 10% MP refresh from Clear Will.

• Auto-Limit (2) from the above^ trait is nice to see, and helps to make up for no High Tide.

• 20% MAG is...useless.

• No straight ATK passives, but 4 Mastery traits (Katanas, Swords, Greatswords and Daggers) give him a very solid 100% ATK just for equipping him properly. The weapon selection here is, again, excellent for beginners.
    Spells
    Raegen has a couple of spells worth mentioning, though as with a lot of his kit you might not find much use for it outside of emergencies:

• Curaga and Raise equip him with what he needs to be an emergency healer, though he lacks the SPR or dualcast to take full advantage of either.

• Barfiraga and Barblizzaga are both great to see - niche though they may be, 70% elemental resistance buffs are a welcome addition to any kit.

• Firaga and Blizzaga are...there, I guess? You'll never use either.
    Abilities:
    Raegen has quite a few abilities, most of which focus on dealing damage while also providing a support effect. For the purposes of this review I'm going to talk about his support abilities first, and then the remainder of his kit separately - you'll see why in a second.

I'll kick things off with three moves that all share a 3-Hit, 1.8x modifier attack attached to their support: Blue Blade Ruin casts Libra while also breaking the target's ATK/MAG by 40% for 2 turns; Soul Blazer grants 50% Elemental Resistance to the party against Light, Dark, Fire, Water, Wind and Earth damage; and Mountain Dive applies a 3 Turn 40% Full Break to a single target.

Instant Flash is a 1-Hit 1x AoE attack that restores MP (18) all allies, while Hero's Edge is a 3-Hit 2.4x AoE that buffs the party's stats by 60% for 3 turns.

It looks like Raegen can do a bit of everything so far: he breaks, he buffs and he can even serve as an MP battery! So why did I separate this part of his kit from the rest?

You've probably already figured out by now that the damage modifiers on all of these abilities are really low, while the numbers on the support effects are only decent at best - most of us won't be using breaks below 45% anymore, while any dedicated support these days is bringing 100%+ stat buffs and 70%+ elemental resistances. 18 Fixed MP recovery (36 with Dual Wield) is, again, decent but there are plenty of better options.

Does that make this part of his kit totally useless? Not at all: for new players this is all great, and the versatility of Raegen makes him a fantastic first pull. Even for vets Raegen is an excellent example of role condensation and you may still find use for these abilities in a pinch - they're also very useful for farming events or raids where you don't necessarily want to take a dedicated support. But, all that said, these support abilities aren't really why you'd pull for this unit - they're just nice to have.

The rest of Raegen's kit, the meat of it, is pretty straightforward - with one little twist:

Erythrite Blade Blades of Azure Crimson is Raegen's bread and butter chaining move: 4.8 x modifier, HE frames so he can chain with Oldmandeau and his friends (including Sephiroth, Hyou and his adoptive son Laswell once he receives his 7* form) AND it imperils the target against Ice/Fire by 60% for 3 Turns, which provides great synergy with Laswell or Fryevia. Fryevia especially, since she can give him the benefit of a 75% imperil on turn 1.

Secret Slash Attack Darkness Purging Blades of Azure Crimson (Seriously Gumi, wtf is the rename?) is his LB and it's a beast: a 7-Hit, 12x modifier chaining attack that imperils the target against Ice/Fire by 100% for 3 turns! That's the strongest imperil for either element currently in the game, and a big part of what Raegen has going for him. At 36 crystals though it's not cheap and Raegan lacks innate High Tide - he does, however, have Auto-Limit (2 per turn) and if equipped with his TMR he gets 50% from that.

He also has Burning Blood, another 3-Hit 1.8x modifier attack that fills his LB guage by 6 (12 with Dual Wield, which is 1/3 of his guage). You're not going to want to use this every turn and miss out on chaining, but it's a good way to fill up your guage on off turns.

And then we come to that 'twist' I mentioned:

Complete Awakening, a move Raegen shares with his son (the upcoming) Awakened Rain, is an alternative LB to Darkness Purging Blades of – fuck it, I'm just gonna keep calling it Secret Slash Attack. For the same cost of 36 LB crystals Raegen buffs his own stats by 200%, mitigates his damage taken by 30% and applies an HP and MP heal over time to himself - all for the next 3 turns.

While this is a very interesting move (and the first example of a unit having, functionally, 2 LBs) it feels like a much better fit on Rain, who as a tank benefits far more from the damage mitigation and regen effects. With Raegan a case could be made for using this over Secret Slash Attack for the 200% stat buffs alone, and there are times where that could make all the difference in a fight, but generally speaking those 100% imperils (+ the damage of the LB itself) make Slash Attack the better choice - and doubly so if any other units on your team are dealing fire or ice damage.

Final Thoughts
    • High bulk and solid all around stats, innate dual wield and 4 weapon masteries make him really easy to gear, even if you're just starting out.

• A decent modifier on his chaining move, along with a wealth of high profile chaining partners both current and upcoming, makes him highly relevant as a chainer for the foreseeable - 100% Fire and Ice imperils also go a long way to making him stand out. That said, he's a DW unit and we're about to enter the TDH meta so don't go expecting top tier damage from him - he is, however, one of the strongest 7* DW chainers and will be more than capable of blitzing through any content coming our way in the near future.

• A wealth of support abilities make him an excellent unit for new players and provide him with great versatility for farming events, but the mediocre numbers attached to those abilities mean that for vets there'll always a better option for your support if you have the space in your party for it.

• Excellent TMR which is easily BiS for almost any DW user going forwards - definitely farm this.
    Looking to the future Raegan's 7 star upgrade is really solid, and focusses mostly on the chaining and imperiling aspects of his kit.

He gains a low modifier AoE finisher that fills the parties' LB guage (4 with DW), but more importantly a new chaining move with Absolute Tranquility (AT) frames - which means he has another way to chain with 7 star Laswell, 7 star Sephiroth and Akstar among others - as well as two cooldown chaining moves which 100% imperil the target to Ice or Fire respectively, while imbuing Raegan's attacks to that element. His LB also gets a big modifier increase while the duration of its' imperils is boosted to a massive 5 turns!

TL:DR
    Raegen is an excellent DW chainer, with incredible imperils and plenty of high profile chaining partners. He has an incredibly versatile support kit, though mediocre numbers make these abilities more useful for newer players than vets if you're clearing harder content. He's incredibly easy to gear, and his Trust Master is BiS for most DW units.

Pull 2 if you're a new player, if you need a strong DW chainer with HE frames and Fire/Ice imperils, if you want the perfect partner for Fryevia or 7 star Laswell - or if you just want Raegen to be your Daddy. Pull 1 if you don't plan on using him but you do want a BiS ATK materia for another DW unit.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 5:56 AM
  2. Carnefix

Carnefix Newsl0rd Staff Member Moderator German Moderator VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Leads:
    TDH FD Tidus, Barb, Fry, Yun, Lila
  3. Fahri99

Fahri99 Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    ???
    ???
  4. Syuri

Syuri kupo?!! <3 VIP Supporter

^ This ::joy::::joy::

5. Caliber

Caliber VIP VIP

6. Carnefix

Carnefix Newsl0rd Staff Member Moderator German Moderator VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Leads:
    True. I just like to put in the link where I copy the information from when I post something.
    Good that you added it to the thread now. :)

Edit: Having the link also helps to discuss his opinions with the creator of the review.

Fahri99 likes this.
  7. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Back from Vacation Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Tidus | JP: Randi
    Does the OP know about this? Did you ask him for permission to copy paste his work?

lZeRol and Ranakel like this.
  8. Caliber

Caliber VIP VIP

Don’t know don’t care, he posted it publicly so it’s free game and I gave him all credit. You can’t demand permission on something you already made public . People link to posts on Reddit all day every day in general. Do you think every person is always asking for permission?
    Go back on vacation

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 2:36 AM
  9. Elenshin

Elenshin Ascended Member

So... pull because his TMR is Bis for chainer?
    Is it future proof?

Thank you for the post BTW. Caliber

Caliber likes this.
  10. Raelf

Raelf Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Enhanced Trance Terra, Enhanced Tidus
    Damage comparisons? That LB on free trial did 200k damage per hit. Very interested to see if he beats Tidus

11. Carnefix

Leads:
    No need. Tidus is stronger.

miguelu22 and Fahri99 like this.
  12. Fahri99

Global ID:
    Leads:
    ???
    ???
    Oh....i forgot that Tidus can equip Fixed Dice.

13. Carnefix

Leads:
    He should be still stronger with an DW build since he has the -100% Water Imperil from his easy to get LB if we just look at the numbers.

Fahri99 likes this.
  14. Squall

Squall Veritas of Love Valentine's Cupid Chocobro Santa Supporter VIP Supporter The Saint

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Many
    Copy/paste someone else’s work. I think there’s a special word for that

15. Fahri99

Global ID:
    Leads:
    ???
    ???

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 5:17 AM
  16. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Back from Vacation Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Tidus | JP: Randi
    I calced Reagan, he's pretty decent. After his LB he deals some really good damage and he works reeeeaaally well with Fryevia. They both get a 75% imperil (compared to 60%) and for Burst damage he can setup the 100% imperil.

17. Squall

Squall Veritas of Love Valentine's Cupid Chocobro Santa Supporter VIP Supporter The Saint

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Many
    I was thinking more along the lines of plagiarism

Tamamo05 and Fahri99 like this.
  18. Caliber

Caliber VIP VIP

That would require for me to claim it as my own which I obviously did not

Sivispara and linXzta like this.
  19. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Ascended Member

Leads:
    eTT 1013 MAG
    85 atm
    Wut?! Caliber doing a review....without any trolls!! This is unheard of!::ink::
    Haha lol jk.

Tamamo05 likes this.
  20. Fahri99

Global ID:
    Leads:
    ???
    ???

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 5:18 AM