1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Chloe (Final Fantasy Brave Exvius)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd MHWl0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Nalu | JP: Randi
    A reliable young woman employed by the kindgom of Grandshelt. Though she does not excel at battle, she is knowledgable about many things, and has come through with many successes. Teamed up with William of the knighthood, she contributed greatly to solving the kidnapping incident that happened in Grandshelt.
    Sorry for the delay again, am still busy writing my essay if you don't follow my status updates :)
    I will tone down the usage of colors a bit, please tell me if it's better or not afterwards! I will swap out many color highlights with simple bolds and will only color highlight a few things here and there.

Chloe Review by Memel0rd

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 4*
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Proof of Talent (Materia) - Increase MAG (30%)
    Increase chance to counter (1.25x)

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3354 (+390) Mag: 124 (+26)
    MP: 182 (+85) Def: 119 (+26)
    Atk: 107 (+26) Spr: 149 (+26)

6* Limit Burst:
    Academic Approach (Base / 20 LB-Crysts): Increase MAG/SPR (50%) for 3 turns to all allies
    Increase resistance to all elements (50%) for 3 turns to all allies
    Academic Approach (Max / 20 LB-Crysts): Increase MAG/SPR (74%) for 3 turns to all allies
    Increase resistance to all elements (74%) for 3 turns to all allies

4*: Lvl 21 Anti-Ice Method (22 MP) - Increase ice resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies

4*: Lvl 30 Anti-Fire Method (22 MP) - Increase fire resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies

4*: Lvl 39 Beast Research (16 MP) - Increase magic damage against beasts (50%) for 2 turns to one ally

4*: Lvl 47 Avian Research (16 MP) - Increase magic damage against birds (50%) for 2 turns to one ally

4*: Lvl 60 Strong Memory (24 MP) - View info on one enemy
    Decrease DEF/SPR (45%) for 3 turns to one enemy

5*: Lvl 8 Anti-Earth Method (22 MP) - Increase earth resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies

5*: Lvl 27 Anti-Wind Method (22 MP) - Increase wind resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies

5*: Lvl 55 Anti-Water Method (22 MP) - Increase water resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies

5*: Lvl 64 Anti-Thunder Method (22 MP) - Increase lightning resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies

5*: Lvl 77 Demon Research (16 MP) - Increase magic damage against demons (50%) for 2 turns to one ally

5*: Lvl 80 Dragon Research (16 MP) - Increase magic damage against dragons (50%) for 2 turns to one ally

6*: Lvl 18 Anti-Light Method (22 MP) - Increase light resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 33 Anti-Dark Method (22 MP) - Increase dark resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 40 Elemental Rule (25 MP) - Decrease resistance to all elements (30%) for 3 turns to all enemies

6*: Lvl 61 Plantoid Research (16 MP) - Increase magic damage against plants (50%) for 2 turns to one ally

6*: Lvl 85 Stone Research (16 MP) - Increase magic damage against stone monsters (50%) for 2 turns to one ally
    4*: Lvl 12 - SPR + 20%
    4*: Lvl 14 - MP + 20%
    6*: Lvl 1 Medical Knowledge - Increase resistance to all status ailments (100%)
    6*: Lvl 100 Objection - Chance to counter physical/magic attacks (20%) with Magic damage (1.8x) to one enemy

Pros:
    Oh boy, Chloe is weird. Pretty unique to say at least.

Chloe's base stats are fine enough. Decent enough HP, very high MP, decent DEF and high SPR. She also receives a 20% boost in SPR and MP, which makes her a little bit more sustainable, but I will go more into detail later on.

Something more outstanding though is the fact that Chloe has a free Ribbon in her kit. This makes her completely immune towards all status ailments you can encounter (stop/charm are not coded as status ailments), which makes it easier to gear here and this is especially useful for beginners.

Chloe has a set of abilities that we already saw on Minfilia, a unit who carried most of us back then. With Anti-XY Method Chloe can cast a AoE 70% elemental resistance against each element at a time. Of course they are all split up, would be a little busted if not. Her main advantage over Marie on this one is just like Minfilia's: the ability to cast a 70% light or dark resistance.

Strong Memory is probably one of the most unique abilities we have seen so far. It's a view info ability, just like analyze, but also breaks the enemy's DEF/SPR by 45%, which is sort of unique to have this combination. You will mostly use it for the DEF/SPR break though. It helps Chloe supporting your team's damage output.

This can also be seen with her next set of abilities. Chloe has six different types of -Research abilities, all of them grant a 2 turn 50% MAGIC killer to any ally. This means, if you are fighting a beast type with for example Emperor, you can use Beast Research on him and Emperor will now have a 50% beast killer on his magic abilities. This varies between Plant, Stone, Demon, Dragon, Beast and Bird Killers. Quite neat.

Chloe's Limit Burst can be very powerful. At max it goes up to an AoE 74% MAG/SPR buff, fine enough. But the more important thing about this is the AoE 74% ALL elements resistance. If you time that right and the enemy is using a lot of different elements, this will make surviving way way easier.

Cons:
    Sadly, Chloe has a lot of cons that will most likely make her end up on the bench. She has such interesting abilities, but they don't bring enough on the table to make it worthwhile.

Chloe's stat passives suck. 20% MP/SPR is just way too low currently. She doesn't get a boost in her HP and from what we can see, she is a Green Mage supportive unit, so you definitely want her to be beefy enough to tank incoming hits. So having no HP and DEF passives can be a problem in many fights.

Her magic counters or rather Objection sounds good on paper. It's a 180% magic modifier with a 20% chance to proc on both physical and magic hits. But the damage is horrible. Chloe's low base MAG as well as the lack of any MAG passives really drag this ability down. Besides, she really is not a unit you want to receive damage. Compared to many other counters, this is probably one of the worst.

The numbers of her Elemental Rule are bad. 30% all elements imperil? They are 10% higher than the regular Imperil spell. Yeah, this one isn't really worth it, compared to Marie's all imperil it's a lot worse. I do not recommend you using this ability.

Chloe makes herself one of the most niche units there are. Green mages are already more of a niche unit class, but she is not a green mage that wants to support your team's survivability at all cost. She is a mix of green mage and a support unit that amplifies your damage, which sounds as niche as it actually is. And Chloe takes a step further.
    All her -Research killers are magic killers. If they were phys and magic killers, she'd probably be a little bit better. But for physical team comps Chloe is plain useless with the -Research abilities. This makes her a lot more niche. Besides, adding to Chloe's Niche she "only" has six different killers and the buff only lasts 2 turns.

Not being able to Dualcast her elemental resistance buffs, unlike Marie, was the same issue Minfilia had. It takes up unnecessary time which could be easily prevented. This, again, is a major let down in her kit and hurts her a lot.

Chloe's Limit Burst is not reliable. It gets a lot worse when you actually realise that she does not have any hightide passives or auto-lb passives. The LB cost is not the absolute worst, but 20 LB crysts without any passives can be very RNG reliant and thus makes it not reliable.

Overall Chloe can be easily replaced by other units. If you really want to survive, other units can do that far better for you. Like Rikku or even Minfilia would be better because of her defensive buffs. And if you want to OTKO stuff, you could just take another DPS with you, like Trance Terra or Emperor.

Side-Notes:
    Chloe did not receive any enhancements
    yet on the JP side. This means predicting how she might be in the future is very vague.
    For what I do know though is, that I have never seen Chloe in any video footage of JP runs. Neither in OTKO, FTKO, OHKO clips or in actual attempts without like any 5* units or so.
    If you find any video showing off her great usage in a fight, I will gladly watch it. So far, I haven't seen anything with her and for obvious reasons I've listed earlier.
    Chloe might be good for 10 man trial phase skipping though. Not elaborating too much on it, but she can collect her Limit Burst, wait for you to either survive a strong threshhold or unleash all your magic DPS with the -Research abilities.

Arena:
    Chloe is probably one of the worst Arena units in the game. Nothing in her kit works well in the Arena, she has no innate tools that could be used there besides the status ailment immunity, which will not make you a good arena unit.
    Don't use Chloe in the Arena.

Best in Slot:
    This is more of a classic
    "I can't do much by myself so I just abuse TMRs" build, lol. With this build Chloe can use her own abilities quite well and just do the regular Pod / Pouch rotation as a strong LB supporter and damage mitigator. She also counters magic attacks a lot to collect more LB crysts.
    Holy Wand
    Sturdy Headband
    Tabby Suit
    Pod 153
    Rikku's Pouch
    Mechanical Heart
    Thirst of Survival
    Patriotic x2

Esper: Lakshmi or Carbuncle for DC Cura with Holy Wand
    Stats: It's chloe, nah.

Chloe [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Minfilia
    • Chloe has higher base stats but overall worse passives
    • Both have all status ailments immunity
    • Both have the same elemental resistance buffs
    • Minfilia has decent buffs
    • Chloe can break the enemy's DEF/SPR
    • Chloe can apply magic killers to allies
    • Both have some counters
    I talked about this before, Chloe is that weird hybrid unit with green mage aspects and dps supports. Minfilia is purely a support unit, which makes her in that sense a lot better. Minfilia can do both: raise your parties stats AND the elemental resistance. She also has higher HP due to her exclusive gears. And if you happen to have her exclusive materia, she can also do decent side healing with her counters.
    Chloe on the other hand can increase your DPS and elemental resistance. But that DPS increase is not that worth it since higher DPS is not a necessity, more of a luxury. Surviving is more important.
    Minfilia wins.

Trust Master Reward:
    Outside of counter fun builds I can't imagine anyone using this TMR properly. It increases counter chance while increasing MAG?
    Mages already have a harder time surviving than others for the most part, but rarely pack any counters. And you usually don't want your mages to get hit, almost no DPS wants to get hit. So why do you want to increase counter chances for potentially no counters available for your mages?
    Don't farm it.

Conclusion:
    Chloe really isn't a good unit
    you should look out for.
    She has a hard time finding a proper spot in your team, has a lot of niches.
    Being able to increase elemental resistances is cool, but Chloe is too slow to utilise her whole kit. If she had a W Ability trait in her kit, she could be a lot better.
    And not including a Pod / Pouch build, which makes every unit somewhat good, she can't offer much.
    Chloe for now is pretty bad and we will soon get another chance to get Minfilia, but this time Minfilia gets enhancements.
    Don't go for her.

Character Design: 5/10
    Sprite: 7/10
    Support: 5/10
    Trust Master Reward: 2/10
    Arena: 1/10
    Limit Burst: 7.5/10
    Free 2 Play: 7/10
    Pay 2 Play: 4/10
    Personal Rating: 4.5/10
    Optimal Rating: 4-5/10

Again, please tell me if, compared to the last reviews, the usage of colors is better in this one or not. I still want to improve it in every way possible :)

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Fahri99, Gwailoh13, LAFORGUS and 24 others like this.
  2. Ashlag

Ashlag Use Diabolos for KM, not Ifrit. Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    eTidus DW, eFry, or other cool stuff
    Well I prefer this much color, my retina is still in one piece ::ink::
    Great review, and Bad unit that could have been better pretty easily. At least, I will be able to build some lapis this week :)

Ophiel likes this.
  3. Memel0rd

Memel0rd MHWl0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Many people upon asking told me that the color is too much. I hope it's the perfect mix now, some colors to make it appear more exciting and such, but not too much so you don't have "to read skittles" :D

Ophiel likes this.
  4. Ashlag

Ashlag Use Diabolos for KM, not Ifrit. Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    eTidus DW, eFry, or other cool stuff
    Well the color is useful, but sometimes there were more color than "normal" text in the paragraph. This is better like this one IMO.

5. Jeany1234

Jeany1234 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth 1077 ATK
    I can see benefit of the TM in arena matches... for example my Dark Fina counters a lot and this TM would be great for her. However there are a lot more way more valuable TM's out there I still need to farm first so... yeah. Just wanted to give an idea of how the TM could be useful. Otherwise great review like always!

6. Arrath

Arrath Active Member

Someone like Dark Fina, White Knight Noel, or maybe even Minfilia with her exclusive materia could make full use of that TMR. Not the most productive thing to farm, but I can think of much worse.

7. spada

spada "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fryevia DV LMSakura Emperor DWTidus
    Nice review as always meme, pretty much confirmed my assesment on how louse she is. Colored words look fine, less than loren's but still enough to highlight what's important

Memel0rd likes this.
  8. theJanne

theJanne GIF Maker VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fry, OK, Yun, Tidus, Olive
    Color usage was pretty good. It it much better to read when there is less color.
    Review was great too, now I can gladly skip this banner. ::happy::

Memel0rd likes this.
  9. Zenakh

Zenakh Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Emperor
    One odd note: 7* Emperor seems to be heavily focused on counters, so her TMR might have some potential for that.

Also, she ought to be compared against Marie and Orran as well. Granted, she looses both easily, but still.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  10. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I'm thinking of now making it a bit more structured, that every paragraph has either the same colors (besides the unit names of course) or similar ones. So you wont have like blue, red and green in one paragraph, but all the highlighted things in that paragraph (regarding the color) have e.g. a darker blue.

theJanne likes this.
  11. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    He's not really focused on counters, he has a good one but not that sick. Marie isnt really that useful regarding the counters most of the times. But those at least are ideas lol, TMR is still pretty meh

12. Goddess Nyx

Goddess Nyx Chocobro Chocobro Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Seph.eFry.eTT
    Thanks for the review! I liked your color usage here much better.

Memel0rd likes this.
  13. theJanne

theJanne GIF Maker VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fry, OK, Yun, Tidus, Olive
    That sounds like a good idea. Could make it cleaner and bit easier to read

14. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Read an earlier comment I made to see what I might use for the next one :)

15. Klaus

Klaus Polll0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Any top tier magical chainer. Really.
    Your reviews have stopped being 'rainbows' but they became pure 'gold' if you know what I mean.

Wait...
    Aren't rainbows better? This last Halloween batch has confused my eyes.

Good review as always. Already saw her kit and wanted to make sure, and which is the best way? This one, your reviews.

Chloe = Confirmed trash. 4ever rest and don't waste my gold pulls.

Memel0rd likes this.
  16. SummonerBWM

SummonerBWM "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    GL Sakura, LM Fina, and 2B
    Hm... to be honest... Chloe's TM may have some uses... for units who can evade that is or already can counter.

17. Chargo

Chargo Member

Just thought I'd throw White Knight Noel in there as pretty much the ultimate Chloe TMR user! Can beef mag up to about 700-800, beefy taunt tank (plus iNichol potential cover) and counters like crazy already. I snagged him last Xmas, wondering if he'll become available again this year?

Memel0rd likes this.
  18. Garuda1984

Garuda1984 Ascended Member Supporter

It's better for my eyes and I think a lot of user agree too ::rudecat5::

Thanks for the review btw, I just pull daily then ::rudecat10::

Memel0rd likes this.
  19. TheRunawayGirl

TheRunawayGirl Smug Baku VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Anything you might desire
    You just... Haa, why even bother?
    Good as always, I guess... But you should've told me. I did Chloe as well XP

20. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    that's flattering :)