1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Chow (Final Fantasy Brave Exvius)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Warrior of Light Bartz
    A divine beast who has lived an eternity in the form of a dog. Chow enjoys interacting with people, and thus will physically manifest himself before those whose intentions are pure. Legend has it that whoever catches a glimpse of this divine beast falls under the protection of his mysterious powers, and shall live in bliss for the rest of his or her days.
    Doggo, Doge, Dog, whatever. Let's get this done with, there are already way too many Chow worshippers only because he's a dog and it's annoying. ::haha::

Chow Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | Innate 50% Light/Dark resistance
    Trust Master Reward: Lucky Ingot (Accessory) - HP+888, MP+88, Lucky Ingot:
    Lucky Ingot:
    Chance to counter magic attacks (30%) with Fortune Smile (max 1/turn)

• Fortune Smile:
        • 60% chance to use Fortune Smile:
          • Restore HP (15%) to caster
        • 30% chance to use Fortune Smile:
          • Increase DEF/SPR (100%) for 2 turns to caster
        • 10% chance to use Fortune Smile:
          • Increase LB gauge (50%) to caster
    6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3788 (+510) Mag: 108 (+26)
    MP: 168 (+65) Def: 138 (+26)
    Atk: 128 (+26) Spr: 148 (+26)

6* Limit Burst:
    Celestial Limit (Base / 30 LB-Crysts): Mitigate damage taken (30%) for 1 turn to all allies
    Restore HP (5%) and MP (30%) to all allies
    Celestial Limit (Max / 30 LB-Crysts): Mitigate damage taken (54%) for 1 turn to all allies
    Restore HP (5%) and MP (55%) to all allies

5*: Lvl 72 Strong Encouragement (60 MP) - Increase ATK/DEF (60%) for 3 turns to all allies
    Increase resistance to stop (100%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 70 Guardian's Sacrifice (18 MP) - Recover HP (100%) to all allies
    Instant KO to caster

6*: Lvl 92 Improved Focus (60 MP) - Increase MAG/SPR (60%) for 3 turns to all allies
    Increase resistance to charm (100%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 98 Courageous Heart (28 MP) - Randomly use:
    (70%) Courageous Heart - Auto-revive (80% HP) for 3 turns to caster
    Recover HP (40%) to caster
    (20%) Courageous Heart - Auto-revive (80% HP) for 3 turns to caster
    Recover HP (70%) to caster
    (10%) Courageous Heart - Auto-revive (80% HP) for 3 turns to caster
    Recover HP (100%) to caster

6*:
    Lvl 100 Spiritual Defender (36 MP) - Chance to protect all allies from magic damage (75%) with damage mitigation (50-70%) for 3 turns to caster
    5*: Lvl 1 Natural Protector - Chance to protect one ally from magic damage (30%) with damage mitigation (50%)

5*: Lvl 8 Gil Farmer - Increase gil obtained (100%)

5*: Lvl 25 Camouflage - Decrease chance of being targeted (50%)

5*: Lvl 48 Tenacity - Increase DEF (30%)
    Increase resistance to paralyze, confuse, and petrify (100%)

5*: Lvl 61 Spiritual Core - Increase SPR (30%)
    Increase SPR (100%) when HP drops below 30%

5*: Lvl 80 Defender's Disposition - Use Defender's Disposition at the start of a battle

6*: Lvl 5 Twin Discipline - Increase HP (20%)
    Increase DEF (30%) when equipped with a robe
    Increase SPR (30%) when equipped with heavy armor

6*: Lvl 28 Compassion - Increase MP (20%)
    Increase LB gauge fill rate (100%)

6*: Lvl 57 Fortune Bringer - Boosts the rate of rare items dropped by enemies

6*: Lvl 68 Auto-Refresh - Recover MP (5%) per turn

6*: Lvl 73 Chance to counter physical attacks (30%) with Loyal Heart (max 1/turn)
    Loyal Heart - Cure poison, blind, sleep, silence, paralyze, and confuse to all allies

6*: Lvl 88 Chance to counter physical attacks (30%) with Unbreakable Physique (max 1/turn)
    Chance to counter magic attacks (30%) with Unbreakable Physique (max 1/turn)
    Unbreakable Physique - Mitigate damage taken (30%) for 2 turns to caster
    Remove DEF/SPR break from caster
    5*: Lvl 38 Curaga (15 MP) - Heal (1000 HP, 3.4x) to all allies

6*: Lvl 55 Esunaga (21 MP) - Cure poison, blind, sleep, silence, paralyze and confuse to all allies

6*: Lvl 78 Full-Life (20 MP) - Revive one KO'd ally (100% HP)

Pros:
    For many the biggest pro is: Chow is a dog. ::haha::
    Wait, you want more?

Chow definitely has great base stats. He is a magic tank and for that, he has massive HP, high SPR and still a good DEF. Passive wise Chow gets 20% HP, 30% DEF and 60% SPR, which requires heavy armor but that's mostly what you are going to build him simply because you won't cap him on SPR. He also comes with 20% MP and a 5% MP refresh, quite convenient. Chow is resistant against paralyze, confuse and petrify which is a great set of immunities, covering 3/5 of the really bad status ailments.

Having access to all armors AND staves is something we saw with Basch. Chow can do that, too. And it opens up a lot of build options, a lot of potential element resistances which will be very important for the upcoming 3* esper fights. And of course, increasing his overall tankyness against many fights. A great asset to his kit. Chow also has access to Curaga and Full-Life, which the Holy Wand supports a lot. Chow can be your cheap healer and raiser, since you focus on SPR anyways.

Against ambush fights Chow actually has a very neat combination we already saw in Mystea's kit: 50% camouflage combined with an innate 30% chance to take ST magic hits for an ally. This mostly will be good for the Glacial trial and for future ambush events, but it's still nice to have, won't be very important mostly though.

You didn't know that dogs counter when you hit them? Well, you shouldn't hit a dog. Awful jokes besides, Chow has two different counters. The first being Loyal Heart. A 30% phys counter chance with an AoE Esunaga basically. Fair enough, can be useful. But that's not the important counter, especially for him as a magic tank.
    His second counter being Steady Reflex: a 30% phys/mag counter chance which grants Chow a 30% damage mitigation for 2 turns and removes his DEF/SPR breaks. This is great, especially the second part of it. Many bosses will try and debuff your units and you mostly will get rid of the def/spr breaks on Chow after each turn and make him even tankier in case you do not run any damage mitigation buffs. Thumbs up.

Defender's Disposition isn't that exciting, but after he is getting reraised in case he dies or for the ambushes, an instant 50% DEF/SPR buff can be very handy. If he doesn't die, not really noticeable in fight as it gets overwritten by any stronger buffs.

Chow has two different buffs. Strong Encouragement and Improved Focus. What do they do?
    They are either an AoE 60% ATK/DEF buff or an AoE 60% MAG/SPR buff. But that's not too amazing so far, good for beginners though. So what's good about them? One also grants an AoE stop resistance, which still is quite rare but useful when it does come in handy. The other one is only good for the Echidna trial so far, since it grants AoE charm resistance. Niche buffs, but very welcomed if we actually need it.

More stuff ahead! Courageous Heart is a RNG ability. Each cast grants Chow a self 80% HP reraise! This is already really helpful, especially for players without Ayaka because they can safely rely on Reraise without bringing Rikku, Ayaka or the newly introduced Yan. The gambling aspect of it has a 70% chance to heal 40% HP to Chow, 20% chance to heal 70% HP of his HP and a 10% chance to fully heal him. A great great way of combining healing with self-reraise in case your healer is busy!

His last ability is the good old Spiritual Defender. A 75% chance for AoE covering all magic attacks with a 50%~70% damage mitigation. Very strong due to most bosses from now on using heavy AoE magic attacks that you often enough prefer to tank than to actually take. Which is basically the most important ability to make Chow an amazing tank. Against elemental damage, having innate 50% light/dark resistance can be a blessing for him.

But Chow does not stop here. Not only does he have innate 100% Hightide, making it a lot easier to fill his LB gauge, but his LB is actually really strong. It takes 30 crysts, which is rather expensive, but totally makes up for it. It grants an AoE 54% 1 turn mitigation, which we know from Wilhelm and this effect is beastly. It ensures you to survive almost every time. The second part of it is an AoE 5% HP and 55% MP restore. Chow helps out your MP consumption A LOT. This is one of the best limit bursts regarding its effect and I definitely recommend you to max it out. Simply amazing, especially in trials that will AoE drain your MP in the future.

Cons:
    Chow
    similar to Basch doesn't have many cons.

As for most units, Chow might run into MP issues if you decide to use his buffs. They cost 60 MP each, which is pretty costly and he doesn't have the highest MP stats. Not at all. But if you don't, you will probably easily manage his MP, especially if you use his LB quite often. So this con is only situationally accuring.

Granting him Guardian's Sacrifice is more of a bait in many situations than actually helpful. Chow is your AoE magic tank, even if you put reraise on him and use Guardian's Sacrifice to heal all your allies, you won't have him as an AoE tank that turn, so only do that if you are safe. Can be great for explorations however. But I don't see it being too useful in many fights.

Chow's Limit Burst sadly costs 30 crysts. I mean, it'd be even more busted if it was cheap, but the 30 costs even with 100% innate hightide might not be too reliable. It's very strong once you have it, but it's not as easy to collect as Wilhelm's. However, if you have the setup to make it somewhat to actually reliable, it's one hell of a limit burst. MP battery + huge damage mitigation.

That's mostly it, I can't see too many cons in his kit as it's very up to date currently. His buff values are outdated, but most will use them for the resistances anyway.

Side-Notes:
    Funny enough, Chow is a great unit to take with you on explorations, story events and even raids. Gil Farmer doubles the obtained Gil, which is a very good combination with Xon for raids. Fortune Bringer is very good for farming explorations and story events due to boosting the drop rates of rare items, so you might get something nice out of this.
    Besides that, I already covered most things you can do with Chow.

Best In Slot:
    Let's do this, time to gear the dog himself.
    Holy Wand (DC White magic, 120 SPR)
    Ziedrich (70 DEF, 35 SPR, 15% HP)
    Glacial Hat (500 HP, 16 DEF, 50 SPR)
    Grand Armor (72 DEF, 28 SPR, 15% HP)
    Arsha's Talisman x2 (40% HP, 20% DEF/SPR)
    Thirst of Survival (30% HP/SPR)
    Staff Mastery (50% SPR)
    Patriotic Recall x2 (60% HP, 40% DEF)

Stats with Bahamut:
    12098 HP
    534 DEF
    759 SPR

Arena:
    Tanks in Arena are a no go. Unless you want to use his stop resistance buffs and be THAT guy who runs tanks in arena, you won't use Chow here.

Chow [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Mystea
    • Chow has way higher base HP, but lower base SPR
    • Chow has higher defensive passives
    • Chow's equipment selection is amazing
    • Chow has innate 50% light/dark resistance
    • Both have innate a 30% ST magic cover chance
    • Chow has higher AoE cover chance and higher mitigation
    • Mystea has status ailment protection for all allies
    • Chow has AoE stop/charm resistance
    • Both have great limit bursts (though Chow's is better)
    • Chow is the better cheap healer
    • Chow can apply Reraise on himself
    In almost any aspect, Chow is a straight upgrade from Mystea. Higher overall stats, way better equipment selection, way higher passives, status ailment protection, higher side heals, better AoE cover and for the most part a better LB as well. Since his counters also grant himself a 30% damage mitigation, while also having access to a self-reraise in case you will die, it makes him a lot more slot efficient and easier to use.
    Chow is a definite win over Mystea, unless you are desperate for the AoE status ailment protection. Which by now is the only selling point for her.
    Chow wins.

Chow [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Basch
    • Chow has higher base HP / SPR, Basch has way higher base DEF
    • Basch has 20% higher HP/DEF passives, 10% less SPR though
    • Both have amazing equipment selection
    • Chow has innate 50% light/dark resistance
    • Basch has insanely self sustaining counters
    • Chow has very useful counters granting self mitigation
    • Basch has useful and strong ST / AoE breaks
    • Chow has niche resistance buffs
    • Chow has a self-reraise
    • Chow can act as a great side-healer
    • Basch has an AoE 70% DEF/SPR buff
    • Chow's Limit Burst is amazing
    • Basch has both AoE phys/mag cover
    Stat wise Chow and Basch are similar. The difference in base stats isn't THAT high, the equipment choice for both is basically the same as an AoE mag tank, they have the same AoE magic cover as well. Both have their own respective counters, too. And both can support your team very well, it just depends on what you need for the fight.
    Want side heals, possibly ditching Ayaka due to combining Chow with the bard heals and his self-reraise? And also make him a semi MP battery with his LB? Use Chow.
    Need a very self sustaining tank, that often enough heals himself up back to full HP and MP after each turn that also has very useful breaks? Use Basch.
    Personally I will stick to Basch, I don't use any external breakers and his breaks currently are still strong enough. Especially once you get the 50% breaks going. But for fights where breaks are not as useful or in teams where you cover breaks already, definitely use Chow. Both have their respective uses and generally I would not say one is 100% better than the other. Besides Basch also being able to swap tank roles mid fight or generally become your physical tank.
    Overall, since they both have their selling points, I'll put them on par. Some will see way more use in Chow, some for Basch. Both will do the job perfectly.

Trust Master Reward:

This is a weird TMR. And I'm not too sold on it. It increases HP by 888 and MP by 88. It also comes with a build-in magic counter, which is unfortunately only max 1 per turn. And from there on, it's gambling:
    60% Chance for 15% self heal
    30% chance for 100% DEF/SPR buff
    10% chance for 50% LB Gauge.
    The first and the last are really good, the second is really meh. 30% of the counters will result in a waste for the most part. The first counter prefers if you could proc it more than once, but the last counter is amazing. Overall, I'm not sure if I will ever use this TMR, I think it needs some testing.

Conclusion:
    Chow is a good boy.
    Is it that what you wanted to hear?
    For real, Chow is amazing. I am sure many of you will use him, Basch doesn't do it against fights where breaks are useless compared to him. He brings a lot to make him self sustainable, self reliable and even helps out your team in a way Basch cannot. While also having better e.HP against magic attacks, acting as a pretty decent healer which may result into completely skipping a healer depending on your team (mostly coupled with Roy, e.Ramza or e.Lunera) and even then having great niche buffs with the AoE stop resistance / charm resistance.
    If you do not own Basch and especially not Mystea, here is your chance to grab a super strong AoE Mag tank. He's a dog, what else is there for you decide on? Go for him if you need a tank.
    Besides, the other banner unit Ang is .... well... pretty hilarious, short spoiler: his Limit Burst is completely over the top. More for tomorrow!

Character Design: 9.5/10
    Sprite: 9/10
    Tank: 9.5/10
    Trust Master Reward: ?/10
    Arena: 4/10
    Limit Burst: 9/10
    Future Proof: 9/10
    Free 2 Play: 8.5/10
    Pay 2 Play: 9.5/10
    Personal Rating: 9/10
    Optimal Rating: 9.5/10

[On-Banner Reviews]
    [​IMG] Ang (5*)
    [​IMG] Yan (4*)

The tales of the dog were untold to this point. With the arrival of the God Dog (see what I did there? God? doG? ... ...........) , the dog memes shall rise.
    Ok, one question for you. Who let THAT dog out? ..........

Wanna support me?
    I put a lot of effort into it!
    Everything helps

My Patreon

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. asynchronmk2

asynchronmk2 Ascended Member

Sorry, no! Even if he would be the best unit in the game by far, I wouldn't pull for him. Thanks, but no thanks.
    But the review is good.

Redtide and Memel0rd like this.
  3. Exdeath-chan

Exdeath-chan Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    2Booty 5life
    Good boy, dog/10

oBounce, Khidir and Memel0rd like this.
  4. CustardCat

CustardCat Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    163 635 865
    Leads:
    Hyou
    Going to try for this banner... even though I'm a cat ::rudecat7::
    Well it will be a fine thought to have a doge serving me::rudecat10::

5. Exdeath-chan

Exdeath-chan Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    2Booty 5life
    He's a dog though, that's THE reason to pull for him, blasphemous fool

oBounce, ToastySol, Skoshi and 4 others like this.
  6. Sexwulf

Sexwulf "Hall of Fame" Member

I haz the holy wand.
    I canz do the dual casts!
    [​IMG]

Master Red, Jubilate, S1eww and 38 others like this.
  7. Mcleod

Mcleod Der Langrisserlord - Retired VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TDW Chuck Norris
    I am going to do a FFBE Kennel Club!

[​IMG]

S1eww, PikaJew, Dalbo and 8 others like this.
  8. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Where's my Schäferhund? MEIN TREUER FREUND

S1eww, rtt, Xander and 1 other person like this.
  9. Karistan

Karistan Ascended Member

Global ID:
  10. Kise

Kise Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    899 760 929
    a dog should not be a tank, probably when he was young he would eat a lot of food.

11. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    PETA will have a word with you

iNi likes this.
  12. Kise

Kise Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    899 760 929
    who is 'PETA'?

13. Mcleod

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TDW Chuck Norris
    Here have a teckel in the mean time.

[​IMG]

Pandaranda likes this.
  14. bwompX2

bwompX2 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elena / Esther / Circe
    Such a good boy. Dog buffs are the best buffs. 12/10

Galuf the Dwarf likes this.
  15. asynchronmk2

asynchronmk2 Ascended Member

I prefere cats. If he would be a wolf or hellhound I would take him but not this one.

CustardCat likes this.
  16. keoten

keoten "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    GLS, event, Rivera, evd Galuf, SS Char
    I think Wilhelm and Chow pair nicely visually, with their red and gold color schemes. And they complement each others' tankiness. Could Chow be Wilhelm's divine doggo beast pet?

oBounce, Pandaranda and Eynskaet like this.
  17. Mcleod

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TDW Chuck Norris
    [​IMG]

Wilhelm's puppy!

Derg, Randkin, oBounce and 20 others like this.
  18. Khidir

Khidir Ascended Member

Great review you forgot to describe Defender's position in traits

oBounce likes this.
  19. Luciella

Luciella VIP VIP Supporter Monthly Arena Champ S1

Leads:
    Monster
    Great review. Is Ang reviewable now? His skill seems weird on Wiki.

20. Hope

Hope Ascended Member Supporter

He kind of reminds me of Lockjaw from Marvel's Inhumans.