1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Dragonlord (Dragon Quest)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, May 3, 2018.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Dragonl0rd returns Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Nalu | JP: Hyou
    An evil king seeking global domination who appeared from a faraway world. He sought to gain dominion by stealing the Sphere of Light from the humans to bring darkness throughout the land.
    What a cool name, huh? I mean, Dragonlord, you have to be awesome if you have -lord in your name. No....?
    PS: This review is including the enhancements of Dragonlord. This is not an enhancement review.

Dragonlord Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]
    In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Domineering Spirit (Materia) - Auto-heal (1800 HP, 1x) per turn
    Recover MP (10%) per turn
    Increase LB gauge (2) per turn

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3672 (+390) Mag: 149 (+34)
    MP: 183 (+65) Def: 120 (+26)
    Atk: 138 (+26) Spr: 128 (+26)

6* Limit Burst:
    Dark Temptation (Base / 16 LB-Crysts): 5-Hit Magic damage (2.7x) to all enemies
    Inflict 5 random status ailments (50%) to all enemies

Dark Temptation (Max / 16 LB-Crysts): 5-Hit Magic damage (3.9x) to all enemies
    Inflict 5 random status ailments (74%) to all enemies

The abilities that receive enhancements are BOLD.
    5*: Lvl 1 Sizzle (9 MP / 1-Hit) - Lightning magic damage (1.4x) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 12 Midheal (13 MP) - Heal (1500 HP, 3.4x) to one ally

5*: Lvl 18 Snooze (3 MP) - Inflict sleep (40%) to one enemy

5*: Lvl 64 Kafrizz (14 MP / 1-Hit) - Fire magic damage (1.8x) to one enemy

6*: Lvl 45 Kasizz (20 MP / 1-Hit) - Lightning magic damage (1.8x) to all enemies

6*: Lvl 64 Kazam (25 MP / 1-Hit) - Dark magic damage (2.2x) to one enemy

6*: Lvl 88 Wave of Relief (25 MP) - Cure all status ailments to all allies
    Wave of Relief +1 (25 MP) - Cure all status ailments to all allies
    Heal (1000 HP, 2x) to all allies
    Wave of Relief +2 (25 MP) - Cure all status ailments to all allies
    Heal (2000 HP, 3x) to all allies

6*: Lvl 100 Kafrizzle (80 MP / 1-Hit) - Fire magic damage (20x) to one enemy
    Kafrizzle +1 (120 MP / 1-Hit) - Fire magic damage (25x) to one enemy
    Kafrizzle +2 (150 MP / 1-Hit) - Fire magic damage (30x) to one enemy
    6*: Lvl 1 Dragonlord's Guard - Chance to ignore fatal damage (50%) when HP is above 40% (max 3 times)
    Dragonlord's Guard +1 - adds Recover MP (10%) per turn
    Dragonlord's Guard +2 - adds Increase HP and MP (30%)

6*: Lvl 24 - HP + 20%

6*: Lvl 75 - MAG + 80%

Pros:
    Pro #1 for myself: Dragonlord has barely anything to talk about. Best pro by far!

Exam #1 out of 5 done, time for Dragonl0rd's review. What a convenient name. His base stats are great. Dragonlord has very high HP for a mage, while still having high MAG and decent MP/SPR. His base ATK also goes up to a total of 166... TDH Dragonlord inc? I mean, he can equip knuckles. Okay enough of that, I'm sorry.
    That's not all there is though. Not only does Dragonlord have a flat 80% MAG and 20% HP, Dragonlord's Guard also gives him a 3x 50% chance to ignore fatal attacks if his HP is above 40%. Once you fully enhanced this, he will also gain a 10% MP refresh AND another 30% HP/MP for a total of 50% HP, high MP with a high innate regen and high MAG. Looks very promising so far.

Oh a bunch of outdated abilities.... yeah, let's talk about them a little bit later.

Wave of Relief isn't even bad. Without any enhancements it's an AoE cure all status ailments. Eh, okay, maybe not that exciting. In this stage it might be interesting if you are clearing Malboro and for some reason didn't prepare your whole team to resist the status ailments. Fully enhanced though it adds a quite decent AoE heal. A 2000 base heal with a 3x modifier isn't like a huge heal, but it's good to have something in your back and while Dragonlord is no healer at all, an emergency heal coupled with all status ailment cure is something that might help you. However, I wouldn't go too crazy for enhancing this one particularly, it's not Dragonlord's main tool.

As weird as it sounds, we already hit his last good ability. And I apologise, but Dragonlord really doesn't have many abilities. I wish I could write more and frankly I feel bad for having such a short pros section. Doesn't feel like one of my reviews at least.

Anyway, ENOUGH of my own rambles, Kafrizzle is where it's at! Starting with a 2000% fire magic finishing move and an 80 MP cost. A very hefty finisher to just have on demand whenever you want. I played around with it a bit and it feels good to blow an enemy back on turn 1 with such enormous power. Dragonlord really got that going for him.
    HOWEVER! WE DO NOT STOP HERE. At least that what's (s)he said. No "the office" jokes? Alright.
    Once you enhance Kafrizzle it goes up to a whopping 3000% modifier with a 150 MP cost! Which is crazy high as you will see later on. There is a downside to all of this that we'll take a look at in just a second. Since Dragonlord does not have any innate imperils, it'll be a massive damage boost if you can get any external fire imperils.

So how do you use Dragonlord?
    He's a very simple unit. Basically all you want him to do is use Kafrizzle +2. With its high damage modifiers and some units that are chaining, you should kill most enemies that aren't resistant to fire either in one or two turns as long as your setup is somewhat decent. Dragonlord is great if you swap him in for 10 man trial kills because he doesn't need much setup, he is great for very short battles, too. And for all of you Lunera users out there, you won't have to worry about his 150 MP cost per use. Simple but effective, that's Dragonlord for you.

Cons:
    Dragonlord
    is a one dimensional unit and I think most of you already got that point at least. There is not a lot to talk about here, either. But there are a few issues.

Firstly, Dragonlord has a lot of bad and outdated abilities. Every damaging move which is not called Kafrizzle is a bad one. Don't believe me?
    Sizzle - 140% modifier
    Kafrizz - 180% modifier
    Kazam - 220% modifier
    Kasizz - 180% modifier
    Just don't use these unless you have to finish a "deal dark damage" mission or something like that. Just because Kafrizzle has so much raw power doesn't mean his other abilities have these attributes.

Midheal might be appealing as an emergency heal but not really. It's a somewhat decent heal but it's only ST for one ally. If you actually want to enable emergency heals for Dragonlord, I'd enhance Wave of Relief. Luckily for him, healing crysts are one of the rarely used enhancement crysts. Well, if you can call it actual luck.

Dragonlord's LB has not been talked about yet in this review and it's not hard to understand why. While it has some things going for it, for instance an AoE 5 random status ailments, it's basically all that. A 5-hit 270% to 390% modifier limit burst that barely deals any damage compared to other mediocre units and applies some status ailments isn't even great in the arena BECAUSE it is a limit burst. I would not level it nor would I consider using it in most scenarios.

Dragonlord has no status ailment protection, which makes his Wave of Relief a bit less attractive. If you can cure all status ailments, shouldn't you be at least resisting some of them? Gear obviously fixes that, but it's a bit lame to not have any innate status ailment protection at all.

His kit is boring.

Lastly we got to the point that has been a more controversial point about Dragonlord. In the past days people have been discussing this quite often and here we are:
    Kafrizzle +2 costs 150 MP per use. Originally it was 200 MP in the JP version but GL did lower it by quite a bit.
    Obviously it is indeed hard to maintain a 150 MP per turn consumption. It is possible with Lunera and Queen (both enhanced), that's not what I want to say. A lot of players will not use these two specific units. Dragonlord post enhancements with a decent build will have around 300-400 MP at least. Which means he can use Kafrizzle +2 twice before he runs out on MP on his own. If you have 400 MP you will also get 80 MP back in these two turns due to his 10% MP refresh. Paired up with a bard of any likes, this means you can probably use another Kafrizzle +2. And trust me when I say this, unless the enemy has a lot of fire resistance or magic resistance, you will not need to use Kafrizzle +2 THREE times to kill an enemy UNLESS you actually don't chain them up. Outside of that the MP cost should be no problem. The only situation where this high MP consumption might actually matter a lot is in Story Events. You do not regenerate MP after each fight.
    Yes, it is a big con that Kafrizzle +2 has a 150 MP consumption. But it can be dealt with rather easily or isn't even necessarily bad because it often won't even occur.

Side-Notes:
    Even though Dragonlord has enhancements and a 7* over at the JP side as well, it's hard for me to tell you something about his future. We do not know if they will give him even more adjustments for his 7* or if we will get the same boosts.
    If we do, Dragonlord gains an additional 500% modifier on his Kafrizzle for a total of 3500, another 130% MAG for a total of 220% innate MAG passives and the ability to set him up for a turn and then unleash a 4400% Kafrizzle. This will mean that for short fights or easy OTKO setups, he will still be your go to unit because he is just that simple. On demand Dragonlord can unleash super high power.
    However, overall in the 7* meta, Dragonlord will be a lot less desireable for most players. He doesn't do anything else and if you have some time to set up, there might even be better magic finishers. His Kafrizzle will still be very powerful.
    An issue is balancing him. Very simple kits tend to either be ridiculously strong or just meh. Currently he falls under the former category. A 3000% finisher right off the bat is crazy. Once he starts to fall behind he either needs to become strong to crazy again or just will be a nice to have unit.
    Anyway, for what we know we don't know a lot about his future. He might see many changes, he might not. Let's wait together.

Best In Slot:
    As usual, a classic mage BiS. Still using Bahamut over Siren 3* because many will skip her. Siren 3* isn't great and not a very "future proof" esper. Also fully enhanced stats. Also here is a build that a reddit user pointed out to almost spam Kafrizzle: http://ffbeequip.lyrgard.fr/links/QTB2px
    Mateus Malice x2 (258 MAG, 20% HP)
    Minstrel's Prayers (8 DEF, 42 MAG, 46 SPR, 20% MP)
    Dark Robe (35 DEF, 55 MAG, 20 SPR)
    Ring of the Lucii (25% Evasion, 30% MAG, 3 MAG)
    Genji Glove (10% MAG, DW)
    Dark Bond (50% MAG)
    ADV 5 (40% DEF/MAG/SPR)
    Rod Mastery (50% MAG)
    SSP-Light (40% MAG, 20% HP)

Stats with Bahamut:
    7781 HP
    435 MP
    311 DEF
    1154 MAG
    345 SPR

43~44 MP per turn

Arena:
    Dragonlord
    is bad in the Arena unless you plan on using an LB spam team and still want to depend on status ailments solely. He has no innate status ailment protection, no status ailment infliction outside of his LB, no dualcasting his abilities, just nothing really.

Dragonlord [​IMG] Damage Output

His damage output is as simple as his kit.
    Assuming 100% MAG buff
    Assuming 50% fire imperil
    Assuming fully chain cap

MAG post 100% buff: 1337 (why is his MAG stat a meme)

No enhancements:
    Turn X: 1337^2 x 20 x 4 x 1.5 = 214,508,280

Fully enhanced:
    Turn X: 1337^2 x 30 x 4 x 1.5 = 321,762,420

With Ace's Imperil:
    Turn X: 1337^2 x 30 x 4 x 1.75 = 375,389,490

Dragonlord [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Enhanced Emperor
    • Dragonlord has higher base HP and 20% higher HP passives
    • Dragonlord has an instant 3000% fire move
    • Dragonlord has an emergency heal + cure all status ailments
    • Both have the same base MAG and same MAG passives
    • Both have the same ignore fatal attacks
    • Both are fire finishers
    • Both have 10% MP refresh
    • Emperor has a 250% + 250% (max 2500%) fire move
    • Emperor has an AoE (+ team) 50% SPR break
    • Emperor has a self 200% MAG buff
    • Emperor has a 75% camouflage
    • Emperor has a 50% fire imperil
    • Emperor has status ailment protection
    This is one of the very few comparisons where maths mostly do not even matter. Both have the same MAG stats, both are fire finishers.
    There is a difference though. Dragonlord instantly has his super strong Kafrizzle move. Emperor has to stack up for 10 turns straight. If you have a 50% fire imperil, not even after 10 turns will Emperor be stronger than Dragonlord. That's his main drawback. Yes, there is the comparison between MP costs and that's somewhat important. Emperor basically uses up 0 MP per turn. Dragonlord effectively is using ~110 MP per turn, which isn't very easy to sustain. But I ASK YOU: is it actually necessary to sustain MP if you deal THAT much damage?
    Here, time to look at Emperor's max damage potential excluding SPR breaks.
    Assuming 200% MAG buff
    Assuming 50% fire imperil
    Assuming fully chain cap

MAG post 200% buff: 1520 (Control +2)

Turn X>12: 1520^2 x 25 x 4 x 1.5 = 346,560,000

~7% higher than Dragonlord
    So, his max damage is slightly higher than Dragonlord's. But it really isn't. This ONLY takes a look at his damage once you went through all the FFB+2 stacking. After you buffed himself. This means you have 12 turns at least where Emperor deals A LOT LOT less damage than Dragonlord. Being 7% higher on one turn (that can be achieved at Turn 12 or even later) while being waaaaaaaay worse on the turns before makes up for all the loss? No. Not at all.
    Emperor is the more sustainable option but a lot weaker through the whole fight. Unless the fight lasts for literal ages and you can catch up. Which will pretty much never happen.
    Dragonlord wins (almost always).

Dragonlord [​IMG]VS [​IMG] Blossom Sage Sakura
    • Dragonlord has higher HP base and 30% higher HP passives
    • Dragonlord has an instant 3000% fire move
    • Dragonlord has an emergency heal + AoE cure all status ailments
    • Dragonlord has ignore fatal attacks
    • Dragonlord has 10% MP refresh
    • Blossom Sage Sakura has higher base MAG
    • Blossom Sage Sakura has a stack up thunder move
    • Blossom Sage Sakura can dualcast most of her moves
    • Blossom Sage Sakura has some good supportive aspects
    • Blossom Sage Sakura can proc a 100% thunder imperil through counters
    • Blossom Sage Sakura has status ailment protection
    • Blossom Sage Sakura has a 50% thunder imperil
    Similar to the Emperor comparison, this will be quite the task for BS Sakura to keep up in damage. But before we are taking a look at that, let's just enjoy BS Sakura's kit. She actually does more than only deal damage like Dragonlord and Emperor do. She has some good support moves. They might not be the best but they can be very handy. For instance the AoE 30 MP per turn or all status ailment protection for all party members.
    These can be quite handy, but how does she fare damage wise?
    Assuming 100% MAG buff
    Assuming fully chain cap

MAG post buff: 1372

Turn 1: 1372^2 x 2.3 x 4 + 1372^2 x 3 x 4 x 1.5 = 51,200,844
    Turn 2: 1372^2 x 4.5 x 4 x 1.5 + 1372^2 x 6 x 4 x 1.5 = 118,590,192
    Turn 3: 1372^2 x 7.5 x 4 x 1.5 + 1372^2 x 9 x 4 x 1.5 = 186,356,016
    Turn 4: 1372^2 x 10.5 x 4 x 1.5 + 1372^2 x 12 x 4 x 1.5 = 254,121,840
    Turn 5: 1372^2 x 2.3 x 4 + 1372^2 x 13.5 x 4 x 1.5 = 169,791,036
    Turn 6: 1372^2 x 15 x 4 x 1.5 + 1372^2 x 15 x 4 x 1.5 = 338,829,120

Average Damage Turn 1 - 6:

-> ~42% lower than Dragonlord

Damage Rotation after max stacks:
    Turn X: 1372^2 x 2.3 x 4 + 1372^2 x 15 x 4 x 1.5 = 186,732,492
    Turn X+1: 1372^2 x 15 x 4 x 1.5 + 1372^2 x 15 x 4 x 1.5 = 338,829,120
    Turn X+2: 1372^2 x 15 x 4 x 1.5 + 1372^2 x 15 x 4 x 1.5 = 338,829,120
    Turn X+3: 1372^2 x 15 x 4 x 1.5 + 1372^2 x 15 x 4 x 1.5 = 338,829,120

Average Rotation Damage post Turn 6:

-> ~7% lower than Dragonlord
    These comparisons are a bit weird because the fight won't last that long anyway if you deal that much damage. However, even though BS Sakura with max stacks and a thunder imperil deals slightly more damage than Dragonlord, her average damage is still below him. Pretty much due to the fact that she has to re-apply the thunder imperil. The difference isn't high, but within the first 6~8 turns you will notice a huge difference, especially in the early turns.
    Dragonlord wins (almost always).

Trust Master Reward:
    This is 1:1 the same TMR that Ayaka has. It's a decent one, mostly for support units though. Overall it's not too bad, but it isn't a high priority TMR either. If you don't use bards or any MP batteries, this TMR becomes a lot lot better due to the 10% MP refresh. For Dragonlord himself it isn't that good right now because MAG > MP refresh. Auto LB on Dragonlord is horrible.
    Farm it if you want it and / or want to prepare for his 7*.

Conclusion:
    Dragonlord
    is a massive magic finisher.
    That's all. Whaaaaaaat? You want more?
    These assumptions all apply once you fully enhanced his Kafrizzle, which shouldn't be too hard anyway. However, let me get this out of the way: If you feel uncomfortable enhancing him because you just recently enhanced Emperor or just obtained BS Sakura: don't enhance him then. It's that easy.
    However, if you feel like having a powerhouse on demand on any turn to blow away whatever stands in your way... unless they are resistant to fire... Dragonl0rd
    I can only recommend enhancing him if you want a strong finisher. I don't like comparing physical finishers to magic finishers, but Ang's LB damage is still miles ahead. Just to get this discussion out of the way.
    For what he is and what he is supposed to do, deal tons of damage, he does his job perfectly. But his kit is just.... boring. After all, he's the Dragonl0rd!

Character Design: 3/10
    Sprite: 8/10
    Finisher: 9.5/10
    Trust Master Reward: 8/10
    Arena: 1/10
    Limit Burst: 3/10
    Future Proof: ?/10
    Free 2 Play: 8.5/10
    Pay 2 Play: 9.5/10
    Personal Rating: 9.5/10
    Optimal Rating: 9.5/10

[On-Banner Reviews]
    [​IMG] Liquid Metal Slime (4*)

Wanna support me?
    I put a lot of effort into it!
    Everything helps
    My Patreon

I already have him and had some time to play around with him. God damn it's fun to use him, I didn't enhance Cupid Artemios so using one hell of a FTKO finisher like him is just.... Also his victory animation is great!

Memel0rd out

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Master Red, nox, Kenari and 68 others like this.
  2. Masvroh

Masvroh Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra, A2, Onion Knight, Noctis
  3. HalfFlaccidCelery

HalfFlaccidCelery Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ang / TT / TDH FD Tidus
    A Magic Finisher with the sheer firepower which is 3000%?

I didn't need to buy food anyway. Time to buy some lapis.

2nd...

::salt::
    ::coffee::

4. Locke290

Locke290 Well-Known Member

I pulled two of them, so I'm ready for his 7 star.

No cryst to enhance though, spent those on Fryevia etc.,

Nice and simple unit though!

5. S1eww

S1eww VIP VIP Supporter

“I mean he can equip knuckles”

You funny dawg

PhaseShifter and Memel0rd like this.
  6. TuanMuda

TuanMuda Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    DFina/Tidus/DL
    I have 2 of it, and I think it's kinda meh unit at 1st. Mostly one dimentional with meh support ability just like regular Terra...

But 2 DL really sped up my farming for 125 GS that I really want for my Tidus and the Kafrizzle move itself is a good finisher so now I feel happy that I pulled him.

Now just lack 4 mill gil to enhance both of DL and this week farm is Cactuar ::salt::

Anyway, dope review sir, much obliged. You sold me for this enhancement because I dont have Emperor or BS Sakura ::toad::

Memel0rd likes this.
  7. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/eOlive/Rena
    Thanks for the review. Now I know why I pulled Emperor a few week back (and now 1 support T5 away from fully enhance him -*-).

PS: Hope your exam#1 went well.

Memel0rd likes this.
  8. Klaus

Klaus Polll0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Any top tier magical chainer. Really.
    "Whaling for a skill" ::joy::

Masvroh likes this.
  9. Nohbdy

Nohbdy "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Sometimes a one-dimensional unit is all that's called for.

10. zapzap

zapzap Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Sephy
    ::ink::

Fenix808 likes this.
  11. Hinmo

Hinmo Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    nice review... but i really hate finishers :( ... does he do more damage than Ang LB 3 turn?

Memel0rd likes this.
  12. Ari

Ari Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Event, Ok, TDH FD Tidus
    Got 3 DL from dailies. Well... F**k!

13. Masvroh

Masvroh Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra, A2, Onion Knight, Noctis
    I'm gonna use him in 10 man because last phases are usually hard. Nuke 'em for good!

That is, If I have him.... ::rudecat4::::rudecat6::

14. Locke290

Hard to farm with 150mp though lol

15. Shr

Shr Arena Runner Up S2 Arena Runner Up S2 Supporter Monthly Arena Champ S1

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yes
    Gunso
    Lol, no. He said so himself on the review, there is also a thread about it on general forum.

Hinmo likes this.
  16. Locke290

You mean a LB every third turn? Yes he outdamages Ang if he has Imperil set up.

With a 75% Imperil, he is even close to Ang using LB every second turn. (375mil vs 499mil)

Hinmo likes this.
  17. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Dragonl0rd returns Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Nalu | JP: Hyou
    Technically he would outdamage an Ang compared to his average damage output IF ang has his LB up every third turn. Yet I have to see a video where a monster survived Ang's LB with a setup, which is why I kind of don't believe in Ang's average damage output. Because his LB mostly ends it all. And nothing gets even close to his LB damage.

18. Nohbdy

Nohbdy "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Edited: Depends. Probably will for those first 3 turns. Then after that its a question about killers and fire imperil.

I think the problem people have with finishers is until recently they had pretty much the same mods as the chainers. Now we are starting to see some real 1-shot finishers that can really make a difference.

BigNBald5 and Hinmo like this.
  19. Hinmo

Hinmo Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    but then, having the external imperil(yan) and the 30x at turn 1... is really stupid no? i mean... we really miss a content that make that things funnier.

20. Ferax

Ferax Be excellent to each other & party on dudes! VIP Supporter

Thanks for the review as always, @Memel0rd. I finally pulled a limited 5 star base. I have no Emporer and no BS Sakura, so this guy is already fully enhanced and magic fully potted. He’s the perfect mage for our current OTKO meta. I’m looking forward to pairing him with eAce and potentially Roy. I’ve got Roy set with an auto LB build and high SPR, so while he can’t hit Lunera levels of MP refresh, it’s still very respectable. But who even needs MP refresh when everything is OTKO?

Kenari, Treyblud, Xander and 2 others like this.