1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Duke (Final Fantasy Brave Exvius)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Dragonl0rd returns Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Nalu | JP: Hyou
    A young dragoon entrusted with a certain mission. Duke trained from childhood to become a dragoon, and has since developed quite a stern personality. Although he serves as the leader of the Resistance, he finds it difficult to fulfill the duties of his post whilst attempting to accomplish his mission. He may be the quiet type, but he cares deeply about his friends.
    DUKE.... I mean dude, he has a cool sprite. I have two of him over at the JP side, but h-h-h-how good is really?

Duke Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Dragoon's Pride (Materia) - Increase ATK (30%) when equipped with a spear
    Increase ATK (30%) when equipped with a helm

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3617 (+390) Mag: 132 (+26)
    MP: 148 (+65) Def: 120 (+26)
    Atk: 158 (+34) Spr: 126 (+26)

6* Limit Burst:
    Vaskyblade (Base / 20 LB-Crysts): 5-Hit Ice physical damage (4x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies
    Vaskyblade (Max / 20 LB-Crysts): 5-Hit Ice physical damage (5.2x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 1 Jump (7 MP) - Physical damage (1.8x) with jump delay (1 turn) to one enemy

5*: Lvl 12 Lance (10 MP / 1-Hit / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (0.8x) as HP drain (20%) to one enemy
    Physical damage (0.3x) as MP drain (10%) to one enemy

5*: Lvl 20 Glacier Lance (24 MP / 3-Hit) - Ice physical damage (2x) with ignore DEF (25%) to one enemy
    Add ice element to physical attacks for 5 turns to caster

5*: Lvl 36 Gail Pierce (24 MP / 3-Hit) - Wind physical damage (2x) with ignore DEF (25%) to one enemy
    Add wind element to physical attacks for 5 turns to caster

5*: Lvl 64 Pulse Javelin (24 MP / 3-Hit) - Lightning physical damage (2x) with ignore DEF (25%) to one enemy
    Add lightning element to physical attacks for 5 turns to caster

5*: Lvl 80 Bisecting Swing (42 MP / 3-Hit) - Physical damage (1.7x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies

6*: Lvl 51 Quick Spear (30 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (4x) with jump delay (2 turns) to one enemy
    If used after Dragon Crash:
    Decrease damage taken (50%) for 2 turns to caster
    Physical damage (4.5x) with jump delay (1 turn) to one enemy

6*: Lvl 73 Dragon Crash (36 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (1.8x) to all enemies
    Inflict stop (30%) for 3 turns to all enemies
    Decrease ice resistance (50%) for 3 turns to all enemies

6*: Lvl 86 Super Heavenfall Spear (45 MP / 1-Hit) - Increase physical damage against dragons (200%) for 2 turns to caster
    Physical damage (1.57x) with jump delay (1 turn) to one enemy

6*: Lvl 100 Hexa Thrust (45 MP / 6-Hit) - Physical damage (2x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    Decrease ice resistance (50%) for 3 turns to one enemy
    5*: Lvl 52 - HP + 30%
    5*: Lvl 74 - ATK + 30%
    6*: Lvl 1 Airbone Combatant - Increase physical damage against beasts (50%)
    Increase physical damage against avians (50%)
    Increase physical damage against dragons (100%)
    6*: Lvl 8 Dragon Sealer - Increase resistance to blind, paralyze, and confuse (100%)
    6*: Lvl 40 Spear Master - Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a spear
    6*: Lvl 93 Dragoon Spirit - Increase damage for jump attacks (120%)
    6*: Lvl 22 Blizzaga (20 MP / 1-Hit) - Magic ice damage (1.8x) to all enemies
    6*: Lvl 28 Barblizzaga (22 MP) - Increase ice resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies

Pros:
    So, Kain finally made his retu- What? This isn't Kain? Welp...

Duke is an interesting guy. First up, his base stats are impressive. Duke has very high base HP and insane base ATK with 192, which is alongside Onion Knight the highest base ATK in the game! And once you equip a spear to him, he gets a total of 80% ATK passives, 30% HP innately. Besides that, his DEF/SPR base stats are fine and for some reason, he has 132 MAG unpotted... Mage Duke inc?

Duke really embraced the spirit to become a dragoon, literally. His ability dragoon spirit grants him 120% more damage on jump attacks.
    But he also is a great Air Combatant. I should stop using the ability names for jokes or such. Duke has a 50% Bird/Beast Killer and a 100% dragon killer! This applies to a good amount of the bosses since beasts are fairly common and the other two are more niche but if they apply, it's a good boost.

Outside of that, he has 100% resistance against blind, paralyze and confusion, which are all really annoying status ailments for a DPS unit. Duke's Best in Slot also includes Rider's Helm, which would round it off perfectly, but as it is right now, it's quite good.

Being able to have a large elemental coverage is a bless if you can pull it off well enough. Duke can do that. He is able to infuse himself with Lightning, Wind or Ice element on his attacks for 5 turns while dishing out a 266% modifier. This is quite decent since thunder spears are pretty bad and the one good wind spear we don't have just yet. So I can see this becoming relevant.

For regular mob farming and beginners, Bisecting Swing is a great ability. It offers Duke some decent AoE attacks, but outside of the easy content, his AoE attack isn't that useful. Many people do like to see some stronger AoE attacks though and a 340% modifier might just be enough to farm these story events.

Duke, it's time to embrace the inner dragoon. Quick Spear is a decent jump after you used Dragon Crash. First, Dragon Crash is dealing ok-ish damage with 50% ice imperil to all enemies, afterwards Quick Spear becomes a 450% jump with 1 turn delay, so a 990% modifier with his 120% jump boos. And once Duke land, you also have a one turn 50% damage mitigation for the rest of the turn, so you basically are ensured to survive the next turn at least. So if you use his Ice Imbue first, Duke can combo that jump quite nicely. Or the new 3* Ice spear from Ryunan on him.
    So it's:
    Dragon Crash -> Quick Spear

And for Duke's final move, we have Hexa Thrust. It's a 400% 6-Hit mod with a 50% ice imperil. This was the move that should make him a decent enough unit, even if it's not the best chain anymore, it'd still be his best move. Sadly there is a huge downside....

Cons:
    But before I will talk about that, let's adress the other issues of Duke first.

While his base stats are fine, some passives are not. Not only does Duke have no DEF/SPR passives, he makes up for it somewhat with his high HP. But that's not what I meant. Duke has massive MP issues as he has low base MP, no MP passives and not even the regular 5% MP refresh. This will lead to him running out of MP very fast, so you will have to find a way around that asap!

Duke takes time. A lot of time.
    His Quick Spear without the combo becomes a 2 turn delay, so that's not an option already. If you do not own Fryevia's Needle, you have to infuse Ice first, which is a pretty weak move, then use Dragon Crash for the imperil, again a pretty weak move. And after all that effort you are going to use Quick Spear with its 990% mod (450% base), and you can't even finish jumps properly! Which is a huge con by itself. So this is a rather awful option. Rip Dragoon Duke

As I said before, his Bisecting Sweep is too weak to be a finisher, but I doubt it ever was intended to be.

His Super Heavenfall Spear is just... awful. A 157% base modifier which grants you a two turn 200% dragon killer. Which means, once you land, you won't have it the next turn. Thus it's a weak move that does nothing for you, pretty bad overall.

Hexa Thrust is just wasted. It's actually wasted.
    Duke has massively messed up with this move. Not only does he move, but you are unable to get a perfect chain with Dual Wield. It's actually not possible. The maximum you will get is a 9+11+1 chain, which is just.... already so bad. The 400% mod isn't the most promising one, but with high attack somewhat decent. BUT not being able to perfect chain just throws you out of the meta instantly.
    Bye bye Duke.

Side-Notes:
    There have been no enhancements for Duke or no 7* version, we are predicting his enhancements and 7* version very soon, but just not yet. He might be in the next enhancements batch to prepare him for the 7*, like they did with Lorraine. I hope for something good.
    Outside of that, I can tell you that Duke will never really have his moment to shine as it stands currently. In JP I've never seen somebody using him for obvious reasons.

Arena:
    Duke
    is pretty good in the Arena. Just like Amelia, he has an AoE 30% stop chance, but has some status ailment protection, high attack and good HP. So Duke can be geared up easily towards status ailment protection + good HP, I'd say go for him if you get him! He's quite good here.

Best In Slot:
    Simple build, try to maximize attack!
    Ryunan Spear (120 ATK, ice element
    FFXV Large Sword (118 ATK)
    Rider's Helm (28 ATK, Virus/Petrify resistance)
    Demon Mail (10 ATK)
    Genji Glove (DW, 10% ATK)
    Desch's Earring (45 ATK)
    Dragoon's Pride (60% ATK)
    SSP - Dark (60% ATK)
    VoTH TMR (50% ATK)
    Adventurer 5 / Werei TMR (40% ATK)

ATK with Bahamut:

Duke [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Reberta
    • Duke has higher base ATK
    • Duke has higher HP and HP passives (10%
    • Reberta has 20% higher DEF passives
    • Duke's equipment selection is better
    • Reberta has three imperils
    • Duke has three elemental imbues
    • Reberta has way better jump passives (80% better, total 200%)
    • Both have 100% dragon killer
    • Duke has 50% Beast/Bird killer
    • Reberta has MP refresh
    • Reberta's jumps chain and randomly finish
    • Duke has better status ailment protection
    This is a rather obvious comparison. Reberta has far stronger jumps, the same rotation regarding the needed turns but her jumps chain with herself and randomly finish, while both still have their respective 100% dragon killer.
    Besides that, personally I think having three different imperils is better for a chainer than three different elemental imbues.
    Duke is even a worse chainer because Reberta has her own 400% chain, but this can perfectly chain with herself and with Fohlen.
    Reberta wins.

Duke [​IMG] VS [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 5* Chainers
    • Duke has a sick sprite
    • Duke has very high ATK and good ATK passives (80%)
    • Duke's imperils are not really good
    • Duke's elemental imbues don't complement his kit
    • 5* chainers can perfect chain
    • 5* chainers have way higher damage output
    • Tidus, Onion Knight, Loren and Dark Veritas have great supportive aspects
    You only need to answer this one question to decide wether to pick Duke over the others:
    Can Duke perfectly chain?
    No.

Comparison done. For real, there is nothing more to say, you can't be meta if your chain breaks in such an awful way. Sorry, Duke. Ok, I'm a bit more informative than this.
    Duke's main problem is the lack of strong moves to use and the lack of perfectly chaining his Hexa Thrust. Even if he was able to perfect chain it, he'd be subpar to all these just because of his build path + the lack of supportive options. Look at A2, she has nothing but raw power and she has tons of that! Onion Knight has a lot of raw power + elemental resistance buffs. Tidus has a bit of everything and great DPS, Loren has great DPS + breaks , Dark Veritas has chain partners, high damage, breaks, etc.
    There is no way even a perfect chaining Duke would be better than that.
    Duke loses.

Trust Master Reward:
    Thank god his TMR is here. This TMR is one hell of a TMR. It grants you 30% ATK when you equip somebody with a spear and 30% ATK if you equip somebody with a helm. So a total of 60% ATK. This will be BiS for many users, especially once we are getting Helmless Kain's TMR (40 ATK helm). It will work very well for spear users, especially if they can't use Prishe's Hat.

Conclusion:
    Duke is pretty bad
    First he starts off with amazing base ATK, strong base HP and 80% ATK! This already has incredible potential, his equipment selection isn't the best, but offers some nice combinations to use.
    While he doesn't have that much to offer, his jump could have been million times better. Even Reberta, who is like over 6 months old, has better and more powerful jumps than Duke. And his also take a lot of time. Hexa Thrust is just one of the actual worst chaining moves I've seen so far. Mediocre base mod, 50% imperil and can't even perfect chain. Probably the most disappointing part about him.
    Do not pull for him, besides his TMR, which is just slightly better than Veritas of the Heaven's, he's really not good.
    Great Sprite, awful kit.

Character Design: 7/10
    Sprite: 10/10
    Chainer: 5/10
    Trust Master Reward: 9/10
    Arena: 8/10
    Limit Burst: 6/10
    Free 2 Play: 7.5/10
    Pay 2 Play: 6/10
    Personal Rating: 6/10
    Optimal Rating: 5.5/10

[On-Banner Reviews]
    new

[​IMG] Mystea (4*)

wasted.jpg

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. Cherub

Cherub Fact: CKA is #3 Healer VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    dwTidus, eFry, A2, Charming Kitty Ari
    I'm literally terrified to pull a Rainbow going for Olif and Mystea.

What the fuck were they even thinking...

Its just stupid the way there are some Golds that are 20x more useful than a Rainbow.
    At such a low drop rate, they really should be made worth it. Units like this simply aren't.

seuman, Khidir, Malferus and 7 others like this.
  3. Fencat

Fencat Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Tidus, Fry, TT
    Looks awesome but Yea... Even being new this guy doesn't look too useful, maybe if he was a 4* o_O

Alas I'll definitely skip this guy :confused:

Thank you for the review!

GrimmXv9 and Memel0rd like this.
  4. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Dragonl0rd returns Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I'm literally super disappointed that he didn't get any GE stuff. His sprite is probably one of the coolest male sprites out there and his kit has some flair, it's just not good.
    I'd not be sad if I get him, his TMR is still top notch, but there would be far better choices.

seuman and Goddess Nyx like this.
  5. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    You wanna skip on the Mystae (what is her Global name?) / Mistair banner? :D Wait for tomorrow's review and I'm sure you want to pull :)

Fencat likes this.
  6. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    oh btw, I forgot about the new Ice spear on the new banner, let me quickly edit it

7. Renko

Renko "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    idk lmao fuck
    Wtf a meme review that doesn't make me want to get a rainbow??? The hell is happening

8. Fencat

Fencat Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Tidus, Fry, TT
    Sneaky! :D

But Yea I might want mystea, that's what 4* tickets are for right ::innocent::

I'd probably still skip using Duke if I somehow got him though :-P

Memel0rd likes this.
  9. Garuda1984

Garuda1984 Ascended Member Supporter

After reading your review then there is no point in getting him even if I LOVE Dragoon. ::rudecat10::

Worse than Reberta eh... ::rudecat16::

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  10. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    ok, fixed it!
    I forgot about Ryunan's TMR that is on the same banner as Duke is :)

11. Caliber

Caliber "Hall of Fame" Member

He should be called Puke, only about 5 steps above zaargabath

12. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    1 heart 4 dragoons ::rudecat2::

13. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
    Thanks meme, i thought as well.

The dragoon mechanic is not very good on this game, that relies on Chain and Finish, and powerful magic nukes.

The treasure of this banner is Mystea.

Memel0rd likes this.
  14. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Agree
    Disagree

15. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Well, in JP it will get way better soon! :D

Garuda1984 likes this.
  16. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Is this... the matrix?

Khidir, Dashh the Outrider and Renko like this.
  17. Garuda1984

Garuda1984 Ascended Member Supporter

I wonder why don't you make a detailed comparison with Reberta as a Dragoon? ::rudecat1::

18. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat

Wow, so in the end Duke can ONESHOT "The 2-Headed Dragon!" I'm impress!

[​IMG]

Memel0rd likes this.
  19. Caliber

Caliber "Hall of Fame" Member

My bad, you’re right, 10 steps above zaargabath

20. Klaus

Klaus Polll0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Any top tier magical chainer. Really.
    I think I'll be pulling on the banner with no featured chars.

Yeah, I'll just leave this comment here.

FFBE king anuka and Memel0rd like this.