1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Eiko (Final Fantasy IX)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Rizer is broken Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Warrior of Light Bartz
    A descendant of a village of summoners who appears in tales of Gaia, a world foreign to this one. Eiko is the sole remaining survivor of the summoner village known as Madain Sari after it was wiped out by a disaster 10 years ago, and sports a horn on her head as proof of her summoner origins. Following the loss of her family, she remained in the village accompanied only by moogles. A cheerful and precocious child, she survives each day by stealing food from others with the help of her moogle friend Mog.
    Finally she's here, a hilarious character in the original game and I was definitely looking forward to her appearing in GL.

Eiko Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Angel Flute (Harp) - ATK+10, MAG+48, SPR+98, HP +10%

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3452 (+390) Mag: 142 (+26)
    MP: 188 (+65) Def: 128 (+26)
    Atk: 106 (+26) Spr: 152 (+34)

6* Limit Burst:
    Healing Tone (Base / 20 LB-Crysts): Heal (2500 HP, 12x) to all allies
    Remove ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR break from all allies
    Increase evocation gauge (6-10)
    Healing Tone (Max / 20 LB-Crysts): Heal (2500 HP, 18x) to all allies
    Remove ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR break from all allies
    Increase evocation gauge (6-10)

5*: Lvl Passion Performance (30 MP) - Increase LB gauge fill rate (100%) for 3 turns to all allies
    Increase evocation gauge (1-3)

6*: Lvl Dual White Magic (0 MP) - Use white magic twice in one turn

6*: Lvl Crypto Performance (45 MP) - Heal (1000 HP, 10x) to all allies
    Increase evocation gauge (1-3)
    5*: Lvl Precocious Summoner - Increase SPR (20%)
    Increase EVO MAG (10%)

5*: Lvl - HP + 20%

6*: Lvl Mog's Friendship - Increase resistance to all status ailments (70%)
    Remove all status ailments after battle

6*: Lvl - SPR + 30%

6*: Lvl Summoner Descendant - Increase MP/SPR (30%)
    Increase EVO MAG (50%)

6*: Lvl Summoner's Horn - Enable evocation of any esper equipped in party
    5*: Lvl Curaga (15 MP) - Heal (1000 HP, 3.4x) to all allies

5*: Lvl Stona (5 MP) - Cure stone to one ally

5*: Lvl Raise (12 MP) - Revive one KO'd ally (30% HP)

5*: Lvl Esunaga (21 MP) - Cure poison, blind, sleep, silence, paralyze and confuse to all allies

5*: Lvl Dispelga (18 MP) - Remove all status effects from all enemies

6*: Lvl Holy (35 MP / 1-Hit) - Light magic damage (2.3x) using SPR scaling to one enemy

6*: Lvl Debranaga (16 MP) - Remove ATK break from all allies

6*: Lvl Depronaga (16 MP) - Remove DEF break from all allies

6*: Lvl Defaithnaga (16 MP) - Remove MAG break from all allies

6*: Lvl Deshellnaga (16 MP) - Remove SPR break from all allies

6*: Lvl Full-Life (20 MP) - Revive one KO'd ally (100% HP)

Pros:
    Not only is Eiko a very cute and hilarious character, but she also has good base stats with decent HP, good MP and DEF and great SPR. Her MAG also is decent, but not really relevant. Besides that, Eiko has unconditional stat passives that grant her a total of 80% SPR, 20% HP and 30% MP while also having 70% all status ailment protection. I suggest grabbing her limited accessory since it will act as a ribbon for Eiko.

Eiko's most important trait by far however is 60% innate EVO MAG, which makes all esper summons 60% stronger (damage). While also being able to summon any Esper from your party with Summoner's Horn, which means for instance your tank can have Bahamut, but Eiko can summon Bahamut. Pretty neat, especially if you want to use espers like Golem for the damage mitigation. Leviathan and Bahamut also will hit very hard.
    What other options do we have?
    Eiko can make reflect teams way easier to use, since -Ja spell users can reflect the spell 6x on your own team (or 5x in 10 mans), getting Carbuncle easily while being a healer can be massive.
    Also Golem as usual can be great for threshholds if you really want to make sure to survive.
    While Leviathan with a water imperil hits like a truck and Bahamut is a super easy to use finisher that deals great AoE non elemental damage. She could also use Lakshmi for easy budget healing, but... why?
    Or Fenrir for buffing + AoE mirage. It's up to you what you need.

What do we know? Eiko is a summoner. While her own kit also supports this even further.

Passion Performance increases your esper gauge (1-3) randomly while applying an AoE 100% 3 turn LB Fillrate buff, which is quite good. Especially if you don't want to use up a turn or accessory slot for Rikku's Pouch. It also helps Eiko with her own Limit Burst, which we will get to later on.

However, that's not the only move that increases your own esper gauge. With Crypto Performance, Eiko has an AoE 1000 base heal with a 10x modifier that also increases the gauge by 1-3 randomly. Quite neat, we'll check out later how strong this heal actually is in the Best in Slot section.

While her abilities already end here, Eiko shows off a nice selection of spells while also having the innate ability to dualcast all white magic. That being said, Eiko has regular Curaga, Full-Life, Dispelga and Esunaga in her asset. And holy too, but not sure if this will be very useful.

Oh, and of course her four different de-aga spells. These are new and no unit had these before Eiko. Each of them removes seperately ATK or DEF or MAG or SPR breaks from your team. So in one turn, you can for instance use Curaga with Depronaga to heal and remove DEF breaks from your party. A very cool feature, which makes her quite unique.

Last but not least we have her Limit Burst. It needs 20 LB crysts but its impact is a perfect combination as a summoner and healer.
    At max you have a Curaja combined with curing all status breaks from your party while also randomly filling your esper gauge from 6-10. Pretty much in most cases you'll have a full esper gauge with a ~8-10k heal at least and also full stat break heal for the price of 20 crysts. Definitely a great LB if you want to use Eiko.

Cons:
    Eiko
    as she is right now doesn't have too many cons in fact.

Something that bothers me personally is that she only has 70% all status ailment protection. Yes, if you get her limited accessory, you can make it go up to 100% for a ribbon effect, but the accessory outside of that isn't really that appealing and without it, I don't want to rely on 70%. Generally I don't like to rely on RNG if it's very important.

Eiko does not have innate MP refresh, you'll have to rely on somebody refreshing her MP for you. This isn't the biggest con, but definitely something to point out as you don't really want your healer to run out of MP.

She is able to grant her team a 100% LB fillrate buff, but her Limit Burst still takes up 20 LB crysts. It is manageable, but you want this over any other ability for most of the times as it has the strongest heal out of her kit and the other previously mentioned traits. Maybe an Entrust support might be useful or actually using Pouch on somebody else. Eiko also, while at it, does not have innate hightide passives.

If you use her as a summoner, her build even combined as a healer regarding the materias is pretty limited since you currently want to stack all four EVO MAG + 10% to increase her esper damage. Of course you can also use Eiko as straight up pure healer and occasionally using supportive Espers like Carbuncle, Golem or Fenrir, but that's kinda wasting her potential.

That's pretty much it, Eiko's kit is pretty linear and doesn't offer too much versatility. But mostly that's not a big issue, I can't exactly imagine what would be a lot more useful to her kit as she currently does both summoner and healer very well. However, if you're looking for high versatility units, she might not be the one to consider.

Side-Notes:
    Eiko
    does have a 7* version in JP and also received enhancements in Batch #18.
    And honestly she is one of my favorite 7*s.
    Her Limit Burst gets a big update. The heal modifier goes up to 24x from 18x and also grants 9-10 for your esper gauge.
    Her general 7* kit receives many different things and also fix some of her problems. Combined with her enhancements, Eiko gains a total of 70% summon damage (total 120%), 1-2 auto Esper Gauge per turn which is pretty unique by itself. Stat wise way higher SPR and HP, 20% all element resistance, 10% MP refresh and most importantly 100% hightide passives for her limit burst.
    I don't wanna fill this up with everything, but Eiko's 7* looks very solid and fun to use, still keeping the unique vibe of her previous rarity (in case you're interested https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/wiki/units/754).

Best In Slot:
    Now we will take a look at her best summoner build, while also comparing her Limit Burst, Crypto Performance and Curaga so you can decide for yourself which to use in what situation.
    Holy Wand (120 SPR)
    Glacial Hat (500 HP, 16 DEF, 50 SPR)
    Rainbow Robe (45 DEF/MAG/SPR)
    Arsha's Talistman (20% HP, 10% DEF/SPR)
    Flame Cloak (18 DEF, 30% SPR)
    4x EVO MAG + 10%

Stats:
    5939 HP
    312 DEF
    273 MAG
    688 SPR

With 100% MAG/SPR buff
    Curaga: 2451 HP
    Crypto Performance: 5404 HP
    Limit Burst: 10379 HP

Arena:
    How do I put it.... no. Summoners in the Arena don't really have a good spot at all. While healers generally outside of Ayaka also aren't great in the Arena, because they basically only heal while most teams just one shot the enemy's team anyway. She does have innate ribbon with her limited accessory, but is that really worth it?

Eiko [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Enhanced Garnet
    • Eiko has better base stats
    • Eiko has better stat passives
    • Garnet has 20% magic dodge
    • Garnet has 70% summon damage
    • Garnet has 100% LB fillrate innately
    • Garnet's LB only costs 16-13 LB crysts
    • Eiko's LB is Curaja + Cure stat breaks + 6-10 LB crysts
    • Garnet can heal + 40% AoE element resistance
    • Eiko can heal while filling esper gauge
    • Eiko can buff LB fillrate while filling esper gauge
    This comes down to many different factors. Since GL buffed Garnet a little bit, this comparison is a little trickier than you might think.
    Since Eiko has innate 60% summon damage and Garnet 70% summon damage, this means that Garnet as a straight up summoner finisher wins this battle. If you only use these two for straight up summon finish, Garnet will be better while also way easier to get.
    However, once you look at the entire kit and value Eiko's strong healer capabilities, Eiko generally becomes more appealing and usable. For instance, you currently don't need insane healers. Eiko's heals depending on your LB spam can be very very strong to pretty strong and she currently is one of the best healers while only being a bit worse in summon damage than Garnet.
    Eiko generally wins, but Garnet outdamages her and is way easier to obtain. It depends on what you really need.

Trust Master Reward:
    Eiko's TMR is pretty meh for now. It is better if you look at effective HP compared to the Holy Wand, but the heals are worse. And the extra HP doesn't do that much in most cases. Ramza loves that TMR and a Dual Wield Lunera with Tinkerer Bow for a bard build also loves it, but that's about it. In the future, you will need it for her amazing trust ability. For now, no need to farm it.

Conclusion:
    Eiko
    is a very cool unit.
    Not only can she be a very viable healer with a great Limit Burst that you can, unlike Ayaka, actually spam with the right set up. It heals a lot, cures all breaks and pretty much always fully to almost fully fills your esper gauge.
    While not only being a great healer currently, she has unique spells that cure stat breaks and also can always switch to summoning espers. Which means either neat support through Golem / Carbuncle, -Ja spell user support with Carbuncle, heals with Lakshmi or high damage output with Bahamut / Leviathan.
    While she is a worse healer than Tilith and Ayaka in pretty much every case, the combination of a strong summoner and a strong healer makes her very strong in my eyes. However, that Garnet is a stronger summoner regarding the damage output makes her less desired in many eyes as most use summoners only to deal damage.
    It's a kmog event so most will pull anyway, however if you aim for her, keep in mind Beatrix is on the same banner. And Beatrix isn't too great, but we'll talk more about that in the review tomorrow.

Character Design: 9/10
    Sprite: 9.5/10
    Healer: 9/10
    Finisher: 8.5/10
    Trust Master Reward: 6/10
    Arena: 2/10
    Limit Burst: 9/10
    Future Proof: 8.5/10
    Free 2 Play: 8.5/10
    Pay 2 Play: 9/10
    Personal Rating: 9/10
    Optimal Rating: 8.5-9/10

[On-Banner Reviews]
    [​IMG] Beatrix (5*)

Wanna support me?
    I put a lot of effort into it!
    Everything helps
    My Patreon

Sadly I did not get Eiko, but got a dupe Dark Knight Cecil. Though I hope you guys will have great pulls, this banner might not be the best but it's still a kmog event so having good pulls is something everybody appreciates. Take care and have a great weekend! Though I really want her...

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  2. HalfFlaccidCelery

HalfFlaccidCelery Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ang / TT / TDH FD Tidus
    Dimma-Damn fine work.

Memel0rd likes this.
  3. Dino

Dino Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    hey don't forget garnet can now insti fill esphar bar with magic does Eiko have that nevermind must have read something wrong while enhancing her doesn't show it in wiki

4. Krota

Krota "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yun, Ang, Fry, Chow, Christine, GLS
    I want Eiko cuz FF9 is just the best.... But I think I'm just gonna save all my resources til Yuna. She looks absolutely insane.

5. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Rizer is broken Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Yuna is dope :)

Krota likes this.
  6. Mcleod

Mcleod Der Langrisserlord - Retired VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TDW Chuck Norris
    reserved to talk crap about her...

7. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Can you get me one, please?
    eiko.gif

8. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
    Thanks for the review , as always MEMES!

9. Luciella

Luciella VIP VIP Supporter Monthly Arena Champ S1

Leads:
    Monster
    I got one Eiko from 4 x 11 pulls. I am happy that I got her since she's cutie.
    She will be my only 100% bonus unit though for this KM :(

10. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Cmon, at least give her a try D:

11. Luciella

Luciella VIP VIP Supporter Monthly Arena Champ S1

Leads:
    Monster
    I did. I used her to beat Aranea (2 x Prompto chain + Eiko Bahamut summon finisher).

12. Malik

Malik Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh
    Not familiar with Eiko. However I did use her as a friend unit a couple of times and I don't know why but her attack and victory animation made me smile. (I generally don't care about those animations much) Tried to pull her but no luck. May be someday later.
    Thanks for the review.

13. kestalkayden

kestalkayden Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    efryevia
    Nice review, as always.

I did manage to get her which is kinda cool (even for just the mog event), except I am not as excited for her as I already have tilith for healing, and garnet. (My team comp rarely uses LB's / espers, so there is that .. too)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  14. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
    Will try a Friend Unit Eiko.

Not sure if Summoner will become relevant for concurrent uses in the future, but they seems a fun kit to play with.

15. SonicANIME

SonicANIME Ascended Member

I drew her and the rest of the rate up units off of tickets... I have to say, she's really good for spamming summons and limit bursts, but her MP, while good isn't great like messrs Ayaka.. she will need a MP battery..
    I've found success in using blossom sage Sakura with her.. also.. more of a nitpicky gripe.. but if you need her to remove ailments and heal.. DC esunaga and Curaga isn't quite so effective vs Ayakas purify..
    Also no reraise...
    Damn I realize Ayaka has me spoiled..
    Anyways.. if you're reviewing Beatrix later, her saint bringer has a sliiiiiiight delay because it uses her attack sprite, but it is dear Lord fun to use to chain with the right timing.. add a holy weapon like Lightbringer and its dang effective.

16. Ashlag

Ashlag Here and not here. Borderlands 3 takes precedance. Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Great shit, I swear
    You are comparing a summoner to a full time healer, and the best at that. Ayaka is a better healer ofc, the best by very far. But Eiko is more than just a healer, and can full both healer and summoner role depending on your team comp :)

Tamamo05 and Seijuro like this.
  17. SonicANIME

Like I said, Ayaka spoiled me... not to say that Eiko isn't fun, she's a blast to use.. spam, spam, more spam of LBs and summons

18. Karistan

Karistan Ascended Member

Global ID:
    So... Garnet heals more than Eiko except with LB, deals more damage as a summoner, has a faster LB, gets 3 certain LB orbs... but Eiko generally wins because she can do more things with her things. Sure. ::ink::

LAFORGUS likes this.
  19. Shinobi_SAC

Shinobi_SAC VIP VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    959 392 578
    Leads:
    Acc1: Esther Acc2: Zeno
    uh-oh, and here's me pulling 2 of her today when I hoped for an Eiko

Gladio likes this.
  20. SonicANIME

I like her