1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Elephim [FFBE]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Seven, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Seven

Seven Inactive Member VIP Supporter

Leads:
    None; this may be a hard case to crack
    DISCLAIMER: Take my word with a pinch, or handful, of salt.

Elephim
    5 - 7
    [​IMG]
    Role
    Bard, Breaker

TMR
    Elephim’s Harp

Harp
    [​IMG]
    +12 ATK, +23 MAG, +125 SPR, +20% HP, damage range 130% to 170%, two handed

Review
    One of the best instruments in the game.
    It has the highest SPR in both JP and GL of any non-STMR, and also some HP for survivability of usually weak support units.

STMR
    Elephim’s Dress

Robe
    [​IMG]
    +25 DEF, +30 MAG, + 75 SPR, +20% HP, enable Minstrel’s Silk (-20% MP cost of songs) and Minstrel’s Passion (+50% LB gauge fill rate)

Review
    This is my favorite robe in the game.
    Not only does it have excellent stats, it also has great survivability, increases bard sustainability, and increases LB gauge fill rate, making it one of the the most versatile armors in the game for support units.

Pros
    Marvelous Queen
    Elephim
    , although overshadowed by other support units, still is one of the best and easily the most slot efficient and versatile unit in the entire game.

Her base stats are excellent. Her SPR is one of the highest in the game, and she also has high HP and MP for survivability and sustainability. When equipped with an instrument a 7 star max, she gets 80% SPR, as well as 50% MP, 50% SPR, and 40% HP.

And to further increase her sustainability, she gets decent regen and refresh and 2 LB crystal auto-LB, and her LB is broken as heck. In regards to ailments, she is vulnerable to all ailments, but she does have a total passive 50% water, wind, and earth elemental resistance with a harp, which is definitely not niche as trials rely more and more on element resistance. Oh yeah, and she also has 75% camouflage.

Although she was already the most survivable bard in the game, with her TMR, she gets another 20% HP, MP, and SPR, and some much needed paralyze and stop resist. Finally, it upgrades her LB further by allowing it to unlock Rainbow Wings Glissando, which I will talk about later.

The Queen’s Chorus
    A support unit's quality is dependent on their utility and abilities. So why is she so underappreciated?

She has quite a few skills, so I will skip over any that are outdated, irrelevant, or just not very good.

Lucent Flap is probably the one that most people will spam. It’s an AoE 3 turn +150% LB fill gauge rate and adds 5 LB crystals. This really benefits her, but for units like Hyoh, it can be pretty helpful too.

Fairy Gavotte is her best skill at 6 stars, an AoE 2 turn +120% ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR while singing. Comparing her to other support units, no other unit has a higher AoE all stats buff. Technically, Roy can surpass her, but that’s after ability enhancements and even then, he still needs to unlock it and sing for longer than Elephim.

She only gets really good at 7 stars.

Passionate Fugue is an AoE 2 turn +140% ATK/MAG while singing, AoE 2 turn -55% DEF/SPR, and AoE 2 turn MP refresh while singing. This condenses a buffer, breaker, and MP battery into one unit, and one non-cool down ability, with only 2 turns. Such utility from one unit is absolutely amazing, on top of the fact that this is one of the highest ATK and MAG buffs from any support unit and the break is exceptional for non-CD, non-LB breaks.

Spiritual Rondo is an AoE 2 turn +140% DEF/SPR while singing, AoE 2 turn -55% ATK/MAG, and AoE 2 turn HP regen while singing. Although there isn’t mitigation, being both a high break and high buff with HP regen, it is still extremely effective. This is one of the skills I would spam.

Her CD skills are pretty bland.

Queen’s Punishment, which is available on turn 1, is only good in the arena. It dispels all enemies and has a high chance of inflicting all ailments on them.

Healing Fragrance can be a lifesaver, as it’s basically a reset button excluding KO’d units, but has a 12 turn cool down and is available on turn 12, making it pretty unusable.

So, as of now, most of her abilities are pretty subpar or easily beaten by other support units. But no LB in the game tops The Queen’s Pastorale, which at max, is an absurd AoE 3 turn +140% ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR, AoE -75% ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR, AoE restore 20% HP/MP, and, with her TMR, self 1 use enable use of Rainbow Wings Glissando. Even in JP, this is one of the strongest all stats buffs available, and the all stats break is only really beaten by 7 star Heavenly Technician Lid. This is with a decent recovery and can enable access to her strongest ability, Rainbow Wings Glissando, which is an AoE 2 turns +170% MAG/SPR while singing, AoE 2 turn HP regen while singing, AoE 2 turn MP refresh while singing, and AoE 2 turn enable use of Dualcast. Basically, it’s the strongest MAG buff available, with a strong regen and refresh and AoE access to Dualcast for even more utility. It’s an extremely strong skill. And this is after her amazing LB, which is only cost 45 LB crystals, which can easily be obtained in 3 turns with the cap of 12 LB crystals per turn and 300% LB gauge fill rate, to use it again before the buffs and breaks expire. In between, you can use Rainbow Wings Glissando, and never lose your massive buffs and breaks!

Cons
    Turn Kill
    Elephim’s
    biggest, and only real, issue is that she’s a bard, which means she can’t do anything for 1 turn and thus is helpless if dispelled or inflicted with ailments or KO’d.

Also, she has less utility than other support units. She has no mitigation or HP barrier and can’t help with ailments or breaks. The only thing she has above Ignis or Zargabaath is her strong breaks, which allow her to combine multiple roles into one. The problem is, only her LB has a full break, and her other breaks are on songs, which means they can’t be simultaneous.

Speaking of her LB, it is very expensive. 45 LB crystals takes at least 3 turns to obtain with high auto-LB gear and LB gauge fill rate increase, making it only spammable to whales due to exorbitant costs.

Notes
    Elephim does not have the W ability that the best support units have, which is detrimental, because singing limits her action selection, although she still has good versatility.

She’s pretty bad as a 6 star unit, because she doesn’t have an overpowered LB or her strongest skills.

She's usable in the arena for her versatility so you can optimize with effective and/or annoying units. Plus, she can turn 1 incapacitate a few unprepared units, and she has AoE MP drain and resistance to stop.

Equipment
    LB BiS
    Left Hand: Elephim’s Harp (+12 ATK, +23 MAG, +125 SPR, +20% HP, damage range 130% to 170%, two handed)
    Head: Glorious Headpiece (+52 ATK, +3 LB crystals per turn)
    Body: Elephim’s Dress (+25 DEF, +30 MAG, + 75 SPR, +20% HP, -20% MP cost of songs, and +50% LB gauge fill rate)
    Accessory 1: Facade of Balance (+45 MAG, +20% MP, +50% LB gauge fill rate)
    Accessory 2: Facade of Balance (+45 MAG, +20% MP, +50% LB gauge fill rate)

Ability 1: A Lion’s Heart (+55% LB damage, +3 LB crystals per turn)
    Ability 2: Ignorance (+2 LB crystals per turn)
    Ability 3: Ignorance (+2 LB crystals per turn)
    Ability 4: Dream of the Fayth (+50% esper ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR, +150% LB gauge fill rate)

Esper: Carbuncle (HP +84, MP +108, ATK +42, DEF +94, MAG +82, SPR +115, HP +10%, +50% light resistance, -50% dark resistance, +1 LB crystal per turn)

10544 HP
    830 MP
    281 ATK
    449 DEF
    437 MAG
    831 SPR

41 MP per turn
    12 LB crystals per turn
    300% LB gauge fill rate

Immune to paralyze/disease/petrify/stop

General BiS
    Elephim’s Harp (+12 ATK, +23 MAG, +125 SPR, +20% HP, damage range 130% to 170%, two-handed)
    Hairpin of Purity (+10 DEF, +24 MAG, +51 SPR, +100% poison/blind/sleep/silence/paralyze/confuse/disease/stone resistance)
    Elephim’s Dress (+25 DEF, +30 MAG, +75 SPR, +20% HP, -20% MP cost of songs, +50% LB gauge fill rate)
    Betrothal Ring (+40 MAG/SPR, +40% MAG/SPR)
    Betrothal Ring (+40 MAG/SPR, +40% MAG/SPR)

Grim Brilliance (+20% HP/MP, +50% equipment MAG/SPR)
    Adventurer V (+40% ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR)
    Hero’s Vow - Light (+60% SPR, +30% dark resistance, +50% LB gauge fill rate)
    Protector of Lapis (+20% HP, +40% SPR, +2 LB crystals per turn)
    Carbuncle (HP +84, MP +108, ATK +42, DEF +94, MAG +82, SPR +115, HP +10%, +50% light resistance, -50% dark resistance, +1 LB crystal per turn)

12608 HP
    721 MP
    285 ATK
    516 DEF
    756 MAG
    1657 SPR

36 MP per turn
    5 LB per turn
    125% LB gauge fill rate

Immune to poison/blind/sleep/silence/paralyze/confuse/disease/stone/stop

Conclusion
    Elephim
    is a top tier support unit.

She is a bard, which automatically lowers her usability because of her limitations, but her abilities are so well compacted it doesn’t matter too much.

She has some of the most extraordinary versatility in the game and is exceptional for her LB, which is amongst the best in the game.

Character Design
    9/10

Sprite
    9.5/10

Chainer
    0/10

Finisher
    0/10

TMR
    7.5/10

STMR
    9/10

Arena
    8.5/10

LB
    10/10

Future Proof
    6.5/10

F2P
    7/10

P2P
    9/10

Personal
    9/10

Optimal
    10/10

'Ards,
    -
    S
    e
    v
    e
    n

P.S. Tell me what unit I should review next, retroactively...I don't feel like I'm contributing enough to the forum...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  2. Kuroh Kaze

Kuroh Kaze Well-Known Member Supporter

The yellow color text kinda hard to read

Seven, Balthier, Keler and 2 others like this.
  3. Goddess Nyx

Goddess Nyx Spooky Spooky Chocobro Supporter

Global ID:
    Good review!

Thanks for stepping up and doing one. With Meme being so busy I hope it takes some pressure off of him.

Caliber, Seven and MikePro like this.
  4. Zombryo

Zombryo Ascended Member Supporter

cant read yellow text :D, i had to highlight it

fletcha likes this.
  5. Talien

Talien Element resistl0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    120/140 all resist Basch
    I wish reviewers would stop using colored text. There are different forum themes and no matter what color you use aside from the default it's going to look bad or be hard to read for some people.

Seven, Arnatuile and TheKillingJoke like this.
  6. Raelf

Raelf Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    E. Trance Terra, E. Tidus, Hyoh
    7* Nichol should be next month according to Elephim existing.

Seven and TheKillingJoke like this.
  7. Enzo

Enzo Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Aileen, Barbariccia, Lunera
    I honestly feel like her bard part isn't much of a detriment. I don't think I'd use her songs much outside of the first few turns while she builds up her lb. Afterwards it'll be a rotation with her lb and the lb fill move. Max auto-limit (12 crysts) makes it such that she can have her lb up every 3 turns without any rng (lb > lucent flap > lucent flap > lb).

Seven and aa25 like this.
  8. fletcha

fletcha ฅʕ•̫͡•ʔฅ . ʕʘˑ̫ʘʔ . ʕʘ‿ʘʔ . (´ᴥ`) VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Tidus, Barb, BSS, Lila
    Thanks @Seven ! Nice format. Agree about the colors tho.

Seven likes this.
  9. Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh or Nyx
    140ish
    Thanks for doing this @Seven

I enjoy the work of our existing reviewers a lot, but additional points of view always benefit the community and are very welcome

Goddess Nyx and Seven like this.
  10. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Unil0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Kurasame | JP: Akstar
    I'm not so busy, I am just awful at scheduling my time. No need to worry. Laziness + poor time management aren't something you have to worry about .

Reddit versions. ::up::

Goddess Nyx, Seven, Shr and 1 other person like this.
  11. Diaskeaus

Diaskeaus Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra
    Hmmmmmmm

AoE MP drain

and

100% resistant to stop

Hmmmmmmm

Goddess Nyx and Seven like this.
  12. fayleen99

fayleen99 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Mostly Hyoh and 5 star event units
    Well She's great at 7* with her break and buff skills. Her lb also great buff and break at the same time
    honestly because of her skills lock into songs and also her break skills only achieveable through 7*, She become bad Investment.

13. fayleen99

fayleen99 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Mostly Hyoh and 5 star event units
    Don't feel bad, I'm also same like you too ::ink::

14. Masvroh

Masvroh Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra, A2, Onion Knight, Noctis
    Hmm...
    Maybe reviewing those 4* bases? I think newcomers won't get enough units and resources to awaken a unit to 7*, or even 6* due to 6* mats awakening can only be obtained in events. 4* bases are friendly for those who don't have resources after all.

Seven likes this.
  15. salo1419

salo1419 Ascended Member Supporter

This unit is by far the prime definition of being mediocre. Nothing else to add.

Seven and Memel0rd like this.
  16. TheKillingJoke

TheKillingJoke Slothing around VIP

Global ID:
    833 586 843
    Leads:
    Killberta
    @Seven
    Nice review, i like it!
    And you are absolutely right, her skill compression makes up for the Singlock! I mean, with MSNichol i also have NO free turns, because he either buffs or refills mana. Also a kind of bard-like mechanic if played this way.

Seven and MikePro like this.
  17. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/Ayaka/S.Nichol/Barb/Lilith
    I'm thinking of this rotation too.

Edit: it's a little rough to start though. You will likely to let someone else break during the first three turns. Buffs are okay with Cradle of Horns

Seven and Masvroh like this.
  18. Enzo

Enzo Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Aileen, Barbariccia, Lunera
    I feel like her song with 140% def/spr buffs and 55% atk/mag breaks should be enough to tide you through until you get her lb. It's already a much better defensive setup than having CG Lid use her arms dissolver for aoe atk/mag breaks at turn 1. Basically the only time she'll act like a bard is when she's using that song before she can get her lb.

Seven likes this.
  19. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/Ayaka/S.Nichol/Barb/Lilith
    That makes the earliest you can use her LB is turn 5, assuming you reach 12 LB crystals per turn. One turn later than letting her spam her LB fill one.

Seven likes this.
  20. Ashlag

Ashlag Ice GS community now live. Fear us, you heretics. Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Great shit, I swear
    She has some cool tools, but she's rather hard to use practically. And when I look back a little, quite a few recent boss did have a dispel mechanic that would kill it for her. I dunno, she has potential but I'm not sold either. BUT under some conditions, she can be a monster (an entrust then 12LB/turn, for example). Those conditions are a pain to achieve though ^^

Seven and Masvroh like this.