1. Users are hosting a huge giveaway for the 2nd year anniversary event with $380 in prizes! - Check out the thread for more details here!
  2. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  3. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  4. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  5. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  6. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Enhanced Ace (Final Fantasy Type-0)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Passedl0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager Arena Runner-Up VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Tidus | JP: Randi
    A young man who appears in the tales of a world divided into four nations that individually control their own unique Crystals. Ace was taken in at an early age, and has since been raised as a cadet to become Agito, the legendary savior or saviors. As an Agito Cadet he trains with Class Zero at the Akademeia, and wields a deck of magically infused cards as his weapon. Although he may appear cool and collected, he can be quite rash when overcome with emotion. Either overhyped over underrated, here he is. Yu-Gi-Oh all over again.

Ace Enhancements Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]
    don't you dare hating in my comment section @Asf :^)

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG]5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3500 (+450) Mag: 147 (+30)
    MP: 155 (+75) Def: 118 (+30)
    Atk: 119 (+30) Spr: 125 (+30)

I will not include all Active Abilities since this is not a general review. If you disagree with this and want to see all Active Abilities even though I will most likely not include them in my discussion, feel free to let me know. Also, the abilities that receive enhancements are BOLD.
    5*: Lvl 22 - MP + 10%
    5*: Lvl 64 - SPR + 20%
    6*: Lvl 1 Devotion - Increase LB gauge fill rate (200%)
    6*:
    Lvl 52 - MAG + 30%
    6*: Lvl 72 Auto-Refresh - Recover MP (5%) per turn
    6*: Lvl 82 Wild Card (26 MP / 1-Hit) - Magic damage (2.5x) to one enemy ; Negate 2 physical damage taken for 2 turns to caster

6*:
    Lvl 91 Spirit Hand (20 MP) - Randomly use:
    (70%) MP Charge: Recover MP (30) to caster
    (20%) MP Super Charge: Recover MP (75) to caster
    (10%) MP Mega Charge: Recover MP (120) to caster

6*:
    Lvl 100 Tri-Beam Laser (65 MP / 1-Hit) - Magic damage (2.8x) with ignore SPR (25%) to all enemies

Max LB (important):
    Jackpot Shot (16 LB Crysts / 1-Hit) - Magic damage (4.1x) with ignore SPR (50%) to one enemy
    The LB gets affected by Killers and elemental weapons. This will become important later and I will note that again, so if you skip this comment, it's alright.

Enhancements:
    Devotion: 6* Lvl 1 (Passive)
    Increase LB gauge fill rate (200%)

Devotion +1:
    LB Fill Rate +200% & Gain 2 LS per Turn
    Cost: Support (15x T1; 8x T2; 5x T3; 1x T4) 250,000 Gil

Devotion +2:
    LB Fill Rate +200% & Gain 2 LS per Turn & +40% MAG

Cost: Support (23x T1; 12x T2; 8x T3; 2x T4; 1x T5)

Tri-Beam Laser: 6* Lvl 100 (65 MP / 1-Hit)
    Magic damage (2.8x) with ignore SPR (25%) to all enemies

Tri-Beam Laser +1:
    280% AoE 7 Hit Magic Attack + Ignore -25% MND (45 MP / 7-Hit)
    Cost
    : Power (15x T1; 10x T2; 8x T3; 2x T4; 1x T5) 500,000 Gil

Tri-Beam Laser +2:
    Randomly Use:
    (30%) 280% AoE 7 Hit Magic Attack + Ignore -25% MND & AoE 3 Turn -75% Fire/Thunder/Light Resist
    (30%) 420%
    AoE 7 Hit Magic Attack + Ignore -25% MND & AoE 3 Turn -75% Fire/Thunder/Light Resist
    (30%) 560%
    AoE 7 Hit Magic Attack + Ignore -25% MND & AoE 3 Turn -75% Fire/Thunder/Light Resist
    (10%) 2250%
    Cost: Power (23x T1; 15x T2; 12x T3; 4x T4; 2x T5)

Spirit Hand: 6* Lvl 91 (20 MP)
    Randomly use:
    (70%) MP Charge: Recover MP (30) to caster
    (20%) MP Super Charge: Recover MP (75) to caster
    (10%) MP Mega Charge: Recover MP (120) to caster

Spirit Hand +1: (20 MP)
    Randomly Use:
    (70%) MP Charge: Recover MP (30) to all allies
    (20%) MP Super Charge: Recover MP (75) to all allies
    (10%) MP Mega Charge: Recover MP (120) to all allies
    Cost
    : Healing (10x T5; 8x T2; 3x T3) 120,000 Gil

Spirit Hand +2: (10 MP)
    (70%) MP Charge: Recover MP (45) to all allies
    (20%) MP Super Charge: Recover MP (100) to all allies
    (10%) MP Mega Charge: Recover MP (140) to all allies
    Cost: Healing (15x T1; 12x T2; 5x T3; 1x T4)

The enhancements are based on the numbers from their JP counterpart since we did not get any Global Exclusive Announcements regarding Ace's Enhancements

Pre-Enhancements:
    Ace was a pretty cool designed mage of its own tier. The people who are using Rem as a mage know what I am talking about.

His Wild card was the most important ability from Ace. It was able to be used twice a turn if Ace has equipped 2 weapons onto him. As well as it abused killer effects and elemental weapons (e.g. Fire Rod would make Wild Card fire elemental damage). Also, his Wild Card granted him 2 100% physical dodges which increased his survivability quite a lot compared to usual mages. (Fohlen shares a similar theme)

His Support Hand as well as his Tri-Beam Laser were pretty much useless. And also quite underwhelming compared to Wildcard.

Ace had only 30% MAG passives and already 200% LB fillrate up. His main damage was his 820% LB 1-Hit with also the same effects as Wild Card besides the dodge theme. This could lead to him being a very powerful MAG finisher.

After Rem's release with her Dagger Boomerang Ace became less relevant and less unique, since Dagger Boomerang overall is stronger than Ace's Wild Card (except for her first turn). On her 3rd turn it even outdamaged Ace's LB. But Rem's problem is, once she stops using Dagger Boomerang for one turn, she loses all her DMG on Dagger Boomerang basically.

Ace still had his niche survivability left and now he is finally back after his enhancements.

Post-Enhancements:
    Ace sadly did not get his Wild Card enhanced, making it impossible for him to become #1 Mage DPS. But DPS is not his theme anymore. Ace becomes a really strong support mage.

Ace gains another +40% MAG as well as +2 LB crysts per turn not only boosting his overall damage but also his average damage per turn because of his LB being more spammable than before.

After that, Ace's Tri-Beam Laser not only has a niche gamble effect with a possible ~3300% mod, but also with an AoE 75% imperil to fire, thunder and light. For the time being, this is insane. He will not only be able to boost his LB and Wild Card damage by A LOT but can also support the upcomming GE Vargas comps, Olive comps and Orlandeau comps. This enhancement fits very well in the current meta elementals.

Also Ace gets another really strong supportive aspect. He will be able to AoE recover quite a lot MP. His "worst" roll recovers 45 MP, which is already more than enough and also is able to recover up to 140 MP in one turn for your whole team. And it does not exclude the caster, meaning he will MP recover himself, too!
    Support hand +2 also costs only 10 MP, so without his own innate refresh he AT LEAST recovers 35 MP to himself. That's really strong.

Recommendation:
    I highly recommend enhancing Ace's Support Hand. I also recommend enhancing him fully if you can afford it and like his supportive aspects, but it's not as highly recommended since they are very expensive and not as op as other enhancements like Ramza's or DKC's.

Devotion: Semi-Expensive enhancement that boosts his MAG by 40% and grants 2 LB crysts per turn. I recommend enhancing this if you want to use him as a side DPS / full DPS since 40% MAG is a lot as well as his LB being stronger.

Tri-Beam Laser: Sadly really expensive enhancement that has a chance to be devastating with strong AoE imperils that can be even abused further by his own LB and Wild Card. This will be essential for Ace to be used as a DPS Unit.

Support Hand: This one is really cheap and thus making it pretty much free to enhance. Just go for it, it's really cheap and quite effective.

Conclusion:
    Ace is somewhat really expensive to enhance. Choose wisely if you want to enhance him or not since he is quite situational and has a lot of niches.
    He can also support your other's damage easily with his tri beam laser while also being a gambler.
    Ace generally is a very unique unit. Chances are that you will not enhance him if you did not like his kit in the first place.
    I will definitely enhance him once I grab some better Mage stuff.

@TLA 's: Should you enhance?

Side-Notes:
    His Tri-Beam Laser imperils will work great with another future very strong mage: Enhanced Emperor. If you got one or two emperors, I highly recommend enhancing Ace.

Comparison: Rem
    [​IMG]
    - Both have 70% MAG passives but Ace has higher base MAG
    - Both have their own set of supportive aspects
    - Both abuse killers, elementals and dual wield
    - Rem can reach way higher MAG with letters and arms and fryevia's needle
    - Rem will lose a lot of MAG once she drops fryevia's needle for another sword, same goes for Ace dropping e.g. Mateus Malice for a fire rod (urgh, so much MAG loss)
    - Ace recovers a lot of MP while Rem is a strong Healer
    - Ace's survivability against physical enemies is way higher while Rem's is way higher against magical enemies
    - Ace's mods can be way higher or lower, depending on how many turns Rem used her dagger boomerang

Overall, I think this is a clear tie. Both are so similar in their own way and somewhat cover each other. It's actually really cool. Yes, Rem can easily outdamage Ace after turn 3 and since consecutive damage won't be reseted now, she definitely outdamages him.
    Overall, both are #1 in the mages department in my opinion. I highly recommend using either of one if you are looking for a strong mage.

TL;DR: He is worth it, but certainly very weird and a lot of people do not like him.

Have a nice day!

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Fahri99, Motosyko21, magus2k and 20 others like this.
  2. Griffith

Griffith Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Str8 fyr guide
    IM BURNING UUUUUUUPPPP
    ::rudecat5::[​IMG]

Armiger and Memel0rd like this.
  3. Feyris

Feyris "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    632 004 593
    Japan ID:
    299 271 720
    Leads:
    Orlandu // Tifa
    78/76
    Will enchant his ass out. Will do. Ace was one of my favourite mages so far, thus I'm so hyped for his enhancements. Maybe I'll even decide to use full MAG team from time to time because of his Spirit Hand...

Memel0rd likes this.
  4. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
    I got an ACE, as soon he was out of the box he was bullied... Labeled as useless(second after Delita) So never put attention to him.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I want to discuss now, what can be done, to make ACE The Party's Mage, I really do want to use him, i am sick tired of Exdeath, and about Zyrus... well.. i'm waiting for the result of Ace Upgrades...

for now i will read the review....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Memel0rd likes this.
  5. Magoya

Magoya The Leading Mustache VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    SephirothAileenTT ChristineFryOKVoD
    Thanks! I don't have an MP battery other than Noctis (he's one of my main DPS), I have Olive, Noctis and Emperor (for the future) to take advantage of his 75% imperil, I'm working on a few mage TMs, and I like him. Plenty of reasons to enhance him as much as possible. Sorry Firion, maybe next time.

Parade and Memel0rd like this.
  6. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Passedl0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager Arena Runner-Up VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    His enhancements are really cool, if you are interested you might as well just do it. If you got elza though, wait til I either made her review tomorrow or you got some information after the datamine :).

Rip Firion:(

Griffith, LAFORGUS and Magoya like this.
  7. crazyturkey

crazyturkey Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: KM Bonus JP: Rinoa
    158 99
    Where's @Asf ? LOL

I agree 100% that DPS is NOT Ace's draw. It is the support of AoE MP regen and 75% imperil for those of us who use units like Sozhe, Olive, Orlandeau, and Kuja. Yes Kuja.

I want to bring attention to this thread from reddit about Kuja's merits. If you spend time upgrading Kuja and Ace, they make one hell of a team. You can even throw on the likes of Ashe and Sakura to ultimately decimate enemies by lightning. Just something to think about as we keep perpetuating the "OMG Ace's damage sucks!!" fallacy of him being a damage dealer.

Lysander, Bitzpleze and Memel0rd like this.
  8. LAFORGUS

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
    We both Know meme that we will go for Broke This week. I have none of the BF banner, and i hope our exclusive Elza become the Jelly of Japan.

Agree!

R.I.P. Firion? Nope!

For those who don't have any of the 5* Power house, Firion's enhancement are a blessing.

9. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Firion and Olive are somewhat on par. It's very situational. Firion is a blessing even with 5* power houses :).

And also, I already got Elza, let's hope for the best, shall we ::rudecat5::

Yeah, where is he?

Griffith and LAFORGUS like this.
  10. LAFORGUS

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
    Last night doing the Trial "Parade of the Possessed" i noticed how much i need MP recovery, almost failed in two occasions, but had to use elixirs to recover MP to Yshtola and Exdeath(enemy had no MP to steal).

If i had ACE last night, it would be different, he is a must now, specially for those who have no MP Recovery Unit.

11. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Lol, I totally forgot about Europa. Yes, MP resources are quite needed there.

Griffith likes this.
  12. Armiger

Armiger Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ramza/Aileen
    I must admit, this review is [​IMG] .

LAFORGUS, Griffith and Memel0rd like this.
  13. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Damn boi ::rudecat5::

Griffith and Armiger like this.
  14. Barroth

Barroth Excessivlipoor VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Take your pick
    I think with his new enhancements increasing his mag he can break 1k.

• Ace 6 Star
    • FFBEDB Unit Calculator
    • Right Hand: Mateus's Malice +19ATK+129MAG+10%HP
    • Left Hand: Mateus's Malice +19ATK+129MAG+10%HP
    • Head: Cat Hat +25MP+15DEF+20MAG+20SPR+100%Silence
    • Body: Rainbow Robe +45DEF/MAG/SPR+30%All element except Dark
    • Accessory 1: Magistral Crest +30%MAG+30%SPR
    • Accessory 2: Magistral Crest +30%MAG+30%SPR
    • Ability 1: Acceptance +30%MAG +20%MP
    • Ability 2: Rod Mastery +50%MAG w/ Rod
    • Ability 3: Dark Bond +30%MAGw/Rod +20%MAGw/Robe
    • Ability 4: Dual Wield Equip two single handed weapons
    • Pot Stats: HP: 450 MP: 75 ATK: 30 DEF: 30 MAG: 30 SPR: 30
    • Esper: Ramuh HP:3170 MP:6280 ATK:1770 DEF:1225 MAG:6035 SPR:4595
    • Total Stats: HP: 4771 MP: 386 ATK: 204 DEF: 220 MAG: 949 SPR: 389
    this isn't including the 40% extra mag which i think is 70 mag

15. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Well, this is huge MAG but almost immediately drops off once you equip a killer on him + esper changes for killers etc. :D

Griffith likes this.
  16. crazyturkey

crazyturkey Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: KM Bonus JP: Rinoa
    158 99
    Apparently the color of the background during Tri-Laser Beam execution is associated with which damage modifier you rolled. Source reddit.

3.7x mod = white
    5.6x mod = yellow
    7.5x mod = orange
    30x mod = red

If your screen flashes red, it's time to celebrate.

LAFORGUS and Magoya like this.
  17. LAFORGUS

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
    Damn, this could end any mayor battle just right away!

need to farm low level Crystals FASTER!! but but... the event... and TM farming...GOD!....to much to do.... ::rudecat2:: and not much NRG...

Memel0rd likes this.
  18. Magoya

Magoya The Leading Mustache VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    SephirothAileenTT ChristineFryOKVoD
    I will wait for the half-energy campaign to farm those low level crysts. Yesterday, I ran the middle chamber almost all day long and got 0 power milcrysts (I need 15). So, I said "f it", Ace will have to wait. When we have that campaign, there will be better things to do than TM farming considering the lower amount of NRG required.

19. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Most people are spamming enhancements chambers then since it'll only Cost 8 nrg. Me prolly too since FFX event is an Exploration event means nothing to grind

Magoya likes this.
  20. Ashanmuyo

Ashanmuyo Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau
    After messing around in ES, I can confirm this to be true. Poor Belmodar ate a Red screen of death, heh.

Lysander likes this.