1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Enhanced Dark Knight Cecil (Final Fantasy IV)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Unil0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Spooky Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Kurasame | JP: Akstar
    A dark knight who appears in the tales of a blue planet watched over by two moons. Cecil came to regret his part in the mission to seize a Crystal from innocent people by order of the king. However, while yet mired in these uneasy contemplations, he was soon ordered to go on another mission, this time to deliver a special item to the summoner village of Mist. After Cecil and his good friend Kain arrived at Mist, they both watched the village burn to the ground courtesy of an incendiary bomb–the very item they had delivered.
    Ma boi, DKC. Already made some experiments with him even though I cannot build him up to BiS due to the lack of Gilgamesh and Fohlen. But his DPS is....

Enhanced Dark Knight Cecil Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*
    Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | Innate 50% Dark Resistance

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3711 (+390) Mag: 116 (+26)
    MP: 145 (+65) Def: 123 (+26)
    Atk: 155 (+34) Spr: 117 (+26)

The abilities that receive enhancements are BOLD.
    5*: Lvl 3 Last Stand - Increase DEF/SPR (20%) when HP drops below 30%
    5*: Lvl 20 Knight's Wrath - Increase ATK/MAG (30%) for 3 turns when HP drops below 30%
    5*: Lvl 68 HP Stroll - Recover HP (5) while walking every 3 steps
    6*: Lvl 1 Shikkoku - Increase ATK (20%) and dark resistance (50%)
    6*:
    Lvl 15 - ATK + 30%
    6*: Lvl 50 - DEF + 20%
    6*: Lvl 62 - HP + 20%
    6*: Lvl 82 Auto-Refresh - Recover MP (5%) per turn
    5*: Lvl 3 Store (2 MP) - Increase ATK (80%, max 160%) for the next normal attack to caster ; Increase damage taken (50%) to caster

5*: Lvl 10 Darkside (0 MP / 1-Hit) - Dark physical damage (1.5x) with HP sacrifice (30%) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 56 Drain Blade (7 MP / 1-Hit) - Hybrid damage (1.4x) to one enemy
    Physical damage (0.8x) as HP drain (30%) to one enemy

5*: Lvl 76 Dark Cannon (0 MP / 1-Hit) - Dark physical damage (2.5x) with HP sacrifice (40%) to all enemies

6*:
    Lvl 31 Gravity Ball (17 MP / 1-Hit) - HP damage (75%) with HP sacrifice (10%) to one enemy

6*: Lvl 93 Dark Flame (35 MP / 1-Hit) - Dark magic damage (2.5x) to all enemies

6*: Lvl 100 Soul Eater (12 MP / 1-Hit) - Dark physical damage (3.2x) with HP sacrifice (49%) to one enemy

Enhancements:
    Shikkoku
    : 6* Lvl 1 (Passive)
    Increase ATK (20%) and dark resistance (50%)

Shikkoku +1:
    Increase ATK (40%) and dark resistance (75%)
    Cost
    : Support (15x T1; 8x T2; 5x T3; 1x T4) 250,000 Gil

Shikkoku +2
    :
    Increase ATK (40%) and dark resistance (75%) and recover HP (9999, 1x) each turn
    Cost
    : Support (23x T1; 12x T2; 8x T3; 2x T4; 1x T5) 250,000 Gil

Soul Eater: 6* Lvl 100 (12 MP / 1-Hit)
    Dark physical damage (3.2x) with HP sacrifice (49%) to one enemy

Soul Eater +1:
    Dark physical damage (3.2x) with HP sacrifice (60%) to one enemy and reduce the Dark Resistance (100%) for three turns to one enemy
    Cost
    : Power (20x T1; 15x T2; 10x T3; 4x T4; 1x T5) 1,000,000 Gil

Soul Eater +2:
    Dark physical damage (7.5x) with HP sacrifice (60%) to one enemy and reduce Dark Resistance (100%) for three turns to one enemy
    Cost: Power (30x T1; 23x T2; 15x T3; 8x T4; 2x T5) 1,000,000 Gil

Dark Cannon: 5* Lvl 76 (0 MP / 1-Hit)
    Dark physical damage (2.5x) with HP sacrifice (40%) to all enemies

Dark Cannon +1:
    Dark physical damage (2.5x) with HP sacrifice (40%) to all enemies and reduce Dark Resistance (50%) for three turns to all enemies
    Cost
    : Power (8x T1; 3x T2) 30,000 Gil

Dark Cannon +2:
    Dark physical damage (3.5x) with HP sacrifice (40%) to all enemies and reduce Dark Resistance (50%) for three turns to all enemies
    Cost: Power (12x T1; 5x T2; 1x T3) 30,000 Gil

Pre-Enhancements:
    Dark Knight Cecil (DKC) was pretty bad.

DKC had nothing to outstand, did not do anything the best.

His base stats are really good, even for a unit back then, but his traits and such. He had 50% ATK passives, which is viable but below average.

Not only was his ATK a little bit lower than it could have been, his modifiers were horrible.
    Soul Eater was a 3.2x mod with nothing attached to it but a 49% HP sacrifice, which is essentially super bad if I can say it like so.
    We already had many other finishers that can achieve way higher numbers and do not even sacrifice their own HP while doing so. E.g. Firion had a 4.6x mod with a lot of killers and it only costs 16 MP.

Also, he was restricted to Dark Elemental, which was, before enhancements, considered a pretty bad elemental due to the lack of real dark imperils that are useful in the teams.

Besides that, many of his traits are pretty oldschool, e.g. Dark Knight's Wrath. A 3 turn 30% ATK/MAG boost is just useless. HP Stroll is pretty bad, many of his passives are.

DKC fell completely out of the meta as a finisher and provided nothing for any teamcomp. He was considered one of the worst 5* units.

Post-Enhancements:
    DKC gains A LOT of power.

Again, DKC has great base stats, which make these changes even more valuable.

With the enhancements of Shikkoku, DKC not only gains a little bit more dark resistance (which can be useful if the enemy imperils yours), but also another 20% ATK which puts him in the wanted ATK boosts zone basically. 70% ATK passives are completely fine with his already high base ATK.
    But not only that, he recovers himself to full health basically at the end of each turn. That means, as long as he survives a turn, you will not have to worry about healing him. Really, a strong enhancement for the Dark Knight theme. I like it.

Moving on to Dark Cannon, its HP sacrifice did not increase which makes this move pretty good with Shikkoku as it is, even with DW. This moves becomes a little bit stronger and imperils all enemy's dark resistance by 50%, which is considered pretty good. This move definitely has some power if you want to AoE chain dark elementals with e.g. Moonblade Reberta. Again, nothing to complain about this time.

But the most essential enhancement, which made DKC quite "famous", is Soul Eater +2.
    Not only does its modifier ramp up to a 7.5x mod, which is really high.
    But it also gets a 100% dark imperil attached to it. 100% Dark Imperil, now that's sick. After the first usage of Soul Eater +2, you will have a 15.0x modifier, this right here is insanity. But DKC also supports a lot of chainers with this, if you can gear them up, you can make any team a dark elemental team. Two Deathbringer Orlandeaus with DKC will be way way stronger than two regular Orlandeaus with a regular finisher because of the 100% imperil compared to their 50% one.
    The move has one really big downside though. It sacrifices 60% of your own max HP, which means, a DW Soul Eater +1/2 will kill DKC without any heals. So consider that as well.

Recommendation:
    I highly recommend enhancing DKC because of his sheer power and his huge support to any dark team / versatility in building teams. But, I only recommend enhancing him if you are enhancing EVERYTHING from him, if something is missing he loses out a lot of potential power (except for dark cannon, but it's ultra cheap)

Shikkoku: "Somewhat" cheap, but still manageable as it's not one of the most expensive ones. It definitely makes it way easier to use DKC as a team member without fearing that he will instantly die in the enemy's turn and also increases his power a bit. Enhance it.

Dark Cannon: Just enhance it, it's hilariously cheap, it's basically almost free. 60,000 Gil and 1x T3 at max, that's just....

Soul Eater: Reduced enhancements cost (-1x T5) but still insanely expensive with 2,000,000 Gil at a total, 12x T4 and a lot of other Power -crysts. In terms of power though, I highly recommend enhancing it with taking the risk that you need some setup to run DKC. A not really high-risk move with a very high reward. But it's so expensive.

Side-Notes:
    DKC still to this day is the most strongest consistent physical finisher in JP, which means in terms of being a finisher, he is ridiculously future-proof. Finishers like FV have the potential to outdamage him, but not in a reliable way. Also, DKC's 100% Dark Imperil is still really strong in JP and chainers like Dark Veritas highly appreciate a DKC.

Surviving ft. DKC @Parade
    There are three methods to keep DKC alive, I will rank them as well.

1. Healing in between (best):
    This method is the most common and useful one, it's pretty easy to pull off and many times better with a DC healer because of the timing in between hits.
    This is required for DW DKC and the timing is really easy, just play around with it a little bit and you should be fine unless you stack DKC to 9k HP or so.

2. Doublehand (will become way better in the far future with Cloud and Elfriede):
    This method I think is still better than the Re-Raise method. You will lose out on a lot of damage, but it makes DKC more consistent because you will not need to fear DKC dying or you won't have to time any healings. You can heal before you start attacking and after his action he will fully heal again, it's really easy to use DH DKC.

3. Re-Raise:
    This is the most easy method out of all when running a DW DKC but there is a huge problem in my eyes with this method. You will lose all your buffs every turn, which makes it very hard for DKC to survive the next turn and also, if he dies on hit one, he will not continue with his second hit I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Conclusion:
    Dark Knight Cecil's reign as a damaging finisher begins now and he is an absolute force that should be reckoned.
    He has the highest damage output as a finisher overall, he has pretty high ATK, he supports your team while supporting himself, but he is not as easy to use as other ones.
    If you are willing to put some effort and high costs at DKC, he can reward you with huge numbers.

Comparison: Enhanced Luneth
    [​IMG]

- Luneth has lower base ATK but way higher total ATK passives (60% more)
    - Luneth has innate DW
    - Dark Knight Cecil's modifier is higher
    - Dark Knight Cecil boosts his modifiers by 100% because of the imperil of Soul Eater
    - Dark Knight Cecil kills and heals himself at the same turn
    - Dark Knight Cecil supports teams, while Luneth is solely for damage
    - Luneth has status ailment protection
    - Luneth has higher survivability due to DKC killing himself
    - DKC is restricted to dark elemental

There is one thing to note with DKC comparisons (at least 99% of them).
    In terms of pure damage, DKC will pretty much always win, but sacrifices his HP to do so.
    So in this case, Luneth is way more friendly towards beginners because of the innate DW, is seriously strong for beginners and still has the potential to outdamage enhanced Firion, who already is a huge force himself. Firion still has many cases where he outshines Luneth by a little bit, but just imagine DKC's power then.
    So in terms of damage, DKC is the winner. But he kills himself *shrugs*

Comparison: Enhanced Firion
    [​IMG]
    - Dark Knight Cecil has way higher base ATK and depending on the build up to 20% higher ATK passives (but can be the same passives as well)
    - Firion has a very high variety of killers
    - DKC has "almost" the double of Firion's modifiers pre-imperil
    - DKC has almost has more than thrice of Firion's modifiers post-imperil
    - DKC kills himself
    - Firion is very cheap to use
    - Firion has a high variety regarding usage against certain enemy's due to his equipment selection and killer variety
    - Firion has higher survivability

Same scenario with Luneth.
    Firion again is very friendly towards beginners because of him being a 3* base unit, having such huge amounts of killers, insane equipment selection, passives to any equipment etc. If you lack variety and want an overall content finisher, Firion should be the better choice.
    But if you want to go for serious damage, take DKC. But again, be aware of his risk.​

TL;DR
    Strongest finisher with lots of team support and a high risk to use! And his sprite is sick

Already fully enhanced him ::rudecat1:: currently farming a large set of TMR's for him after I got 2 CB's for Aileen.

@TLA 's: Should you Enhance?

Have a nice day!

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  2. Armiger

Armiger Ascended Member Spooky Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ramza/Aileen
  3. spada

spada "Hall of Fame" Member Spooky Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fryevia DV LMSakura Emperor DWTidus
    sweet review man. nuff said ^^

Memel0rd likes this.
  4. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Unil0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Spooky Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Where do you get this stuff always from, lmao

Exdeath-chan likes this.
  5. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:

Exdeath-chan likes this.
  6. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Well, technically a second DKC isn't troll either anymore. A third one though....

Yes, that's why I was super happy ~1-2 months ago when I pulled DKC :).

Exdeath-chan likes this.
  7. Arnatuile

Arnatuile Wolf of Lapis Street. Proud Evade user. Staff Member Moderator VIP Spooky Supporter

Never been a "troll pull" for me, almost only Lightning is such. I do have him, but, even if I didn't, post enhancements he'd still be very low on my wish-list: definitely after Fryevia, Ramza, Gilgamesh, Lunera, 2nd Tidus, 2nd Aileen, Gilgamesh again, Ramza again. Ah, and Gilgamesh.

Nice review Meme. You already know I do not agree with you on the "importance"/"necessity" of enhancing him, or, at least, of insta-enhancing him, but you always do a great job on this stuff :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Memel0rd likes this.
  8. Dyingatheist

Dyingatheist Ascended Member

DKC barely has any form of team support. Only thing he has is a -100% dark resistance which only helps with damage. So you can't really say that Luneth is solely for damage when DKC's "support" skill is only for damage purposes only. If anything, luneth supports his team more by freeing up a DW item lol.

9. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I don't think you realize how much of a support a 100% imperil can be. It can completely change your team setup, your choice in chainers and such. That's a huge team support for me, of course only as DPS, but Ace's Tri Beam Laser as a support mage is very valuable and "only" imperils the enemy.

Exdeath-chan and Khidir like this.
  10. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Well, yes, that comment doesn't make a lot of sense.

Like I said in the review, just swap the gears. DKC + 2x Aileen / Orlandeau / Reberta / Fohlen with dark elemental weapons equipped will always make just the chainers a little bit to a lot stronger. :) Even Fohlen with the dual elemental because DKC's imperil is higher than fohlen's.

Exdeath-chan likes this.
  11. Parade

Parade I'm So Proud of You, Children VIP Spooky Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    Did you know that this Trait is a GLOBAL EXCLUSIVE??!!!?!?

... wait. How the heck are you not addressing Re-raise or "heal before he dies" strategies here? As you've written it right now, players reading this have no idea how to get around his suicide.

DH merits mentioning here as well, even if you immediately call it useless, it should be in the post.

This is your boi, you have to teach others how to use him!

12. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I don't like Re-Raise DKC at all, losing all the buffs and such makes me cry :( I mean, rikku buffs alone are already not worth to lose :eek: But the DH I can put in there, DH DKC actually outdamages luneth after imperil IF luneth has no imperils. But that will never happen lmao

Exdeath-chan and Parade like this.
  13. Dyingatheist

100% imperil is amazing no doubt, but it's only purpose is for damage, that's it. Just pointing out that you can't really argue that Luneth is only for damage, while DKC has lots of team support when really, it's just to increase damage. I guess we just have different opinions on the word support.

In terms of chainers, other than the upcoming Dark Veritas, I don't believe we have any units coming up that will be much better with dark element in terms of chaining. Therefore, it will be all about the elemental weapons you throw on. Which unfortunately, we are very much limited by the dark weapons we will get. It will won't change your team setup that much imo. Most people will probably end up chaining with their current chainers with some other element to ramp up the multiplier for now.

14. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    I agree about Re-raise, you should mention it and why it's a bad idea.

Also mention healing him to prevent suicide as the primary usage strategy IMO

15. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    updated :)

Exdeath-chan and Parade like this.
  16. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    Thanks Memey! Actually really glad you made it its own section

17. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    I believe all Memey meant was that Luneth just does his own thing, while DKC's Imperil actually helps OTHER members of the party deal more damage, not just himself. Therefore Luneth provides no support, but DKC DOES assist other team members, even if it's not the typical definition of "support".

We already have very strong Dark options. Deathbringer, Moonblade, and Demon Scythe are more than powerful enough to warrant use, and they cover pretty much more DPS units' preferred weapon types. Since DKC is in charge of the Imperil, ANY physical chaining unit that isn't element-locked can become a Dark chainer supported by DKC.

spada likes this.
  18. PsychoHamster

PsychoHamster Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh
    Those are top tier weapons no doubt, but all of them are from 5 star bases... Well deathbringer is a moot point since if you are enhancing him you'll get that one eventually. But to make matters worse moonblade and demon scythe are from limited time units so if you didn't pull them when they were available then tough luck.
    So yes dark chaining will be extremely powerful but only if you have the gear for it. And 2/3 of that gear is no longer available.

19. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    Moonblade is from Delita.

PsychoHamster likes this.
  20. Dyingatheist

Yes, I understand now what he meant, I just think it's a little misleading.

All 3 of those are locked behind 5* bases, 1 of them is limited edition. Most people won't have access to them. There are currently no other dark weapons aside from Killer Bow. We will have more options down the road but they aren't gonna be around for months, and most of them will be behind 4* units with 1 of them being limited time. I just don't want anyone thinking that they can easily have access to dark chains when in reality, it requires a lot of resources to get or you will have to wait a few months.