1. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

2. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Review: Enhanced Elza (Brave Frontier)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Tidus Midi Staff Member Administrator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Tidus | JP: Tidus
    A princess from another world where humans and gods share a history. Brilliant from a young age, she was expected to go far but was wrongly accused for a crime she did not commit when trying to protect her sister. She was then imprisoned for a long time and made to carry out secret missions. Released before the great war with the gods, shecontinued to watch over her sister from the shadows. She was long forgotten since she fell out of the meta quite easily once we received some chainers to work with. It is indeed a review about Elza and her enhancements. Enjoy.

Enhanced Elza Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:

[​IMG]5*

[​IMG]6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | Innate 50% darkness resistance

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3460 (+390) Mag: 114 (+26)
    MP: 160 (+65) Def: 126 (+26)
    Atk: 146 (+34) Spr: 124 (+26)

I will not include all Active Abilities since this is not a general review. If you disagree with this and want to see all Active Abilities even though I will most likely not include them in my discussion, feel free to let me know. Also, the abilities that receive enhancements are BOLD.
    5*: Lvl 15 Man-Eater - Increase physical damage against humans (50%)
    5*: Lvl 42 - ATK + 20%
    6*: Lvl 1 Dark Reaper - Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a spear ; Increase dark resistance (50%)
    6*: Lvl 21 Demon Killer - Increase physical damage against demons (50%)
    6*: Lvl 39 - HP + 20%
    6*: Lvl 50 Auto-Refresh - Recover MP (5%) per turn
    6*: Lvl 68 Dark Aegis - Increase DEF/SPR (30%) for 3 turns when HP drops below 30%
    5*: Lvl 26 Lance (10 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (0.8x) with HP drain (20%) to one enemy ; Physical damage (0.3x) with MP drain (10%) to one enemy

5*: Lvl 80 Ravaging Blow (36 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (2x) to one enemy ; Decrease DEF/SPR (50%) for 3 turns to one enemy

6*: Lvl 84 Dark Favor (30 MP) - Auto-revive (90% HP) for 3 turns to caster

6*: Lvl 100 Madness Rush (42 MP / 4-Hit) - Physical damage combo (3 times, 1.4x each, 4.2x total) to random enemies ; Increase LB gauge fill rate (100%) for 3 turns to caster

Enhancements:
    Dark Reaper: 6* Lvl 1 (Passive)
    Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a spear
    Increase dark resistance (50%)

Dark Reaper +1:
    Increase ATK (75%) when equipped with a spear
    Increase dark resistance (75%)
    Cost: Support (15x T1; 10x T2; 8x T3; 2x T4) 250,000 Gil

Dark Reaper +2:
    Increase ATK (100%) when equipped with a spear
    Increase dark resistance (100%)

Cost: Support (23x T1; 15x T2; 12x T3; 4x T4) 250,000 Gil

Ravaging Blow: 5* Lvl 80 (36 MP / 1-Hit)
    Physical damage (2x) to one enemy
    Decrease DEF/SPR (50%) for 3 turns to one enemy

Ravaging Blow +1:
    Physical damage (2.5x) to one enemy
    Decrease DEF/SPR (55%) for 3 turns to one enemy
    Cost: Power (15x T1; 10x T2; 8x T3; 2x T4) 500,000 Gil

Ravaging Blow +2:
    Physical damage (3x) to one enemy
    Decrease DEF/SPR (60%) for 3 turns to one enemy
    Cost: Power (23x T1; 15x T2; 12x T3; 4x T4; 1x T5) 500,000 Gil

Madness Rush: 6* Lvl 100 (42 MP / 4-Hit)
    Physical damage combo (3 times, 1.4x each, 4.2x total) to random enemies
    Increase LB gauge fill rate (100%) for 3 turns to caster

Madness Rush +1:
    Physical damage combo (3 times, 2.0x each, 6.0x total) to random enemies
    Increase LB gauge fill rate (150%) for 3 turns to caster
    Cost: Power (20x T1; 15x T2; 10x T3; 4x T4; 1x T5) 1,000,000 Gil

Madness Rush +2:
    Physical damage combo (4 times, 2.0x each, 8.0x total) to random enemies
    Increase LB gauge fill rate (150%) for 3 turns to caster
    Reduce Dark Resistance (50%) to all enemies

Cost: Power (30x T1; 23x T2; 15x T3; 8x T4; 2x T5) 1,000,000 Gil

Pre-Enhancements:
    Elza fell out of the meta pretty quickly after her release. She has not been in usage for a long time. And there are good reasons for that.

First, her Base ATK is slightly below average as well as Elza can only equip spears. Thus she cannot utilize (@Armiger ) any weapon masteries which puts her even further down compared to current DPS units.

Her DEF breaks became kind of useless since we have Olive and also Delita having 65% DEF breaks after enhancements. In these regards, she got completely overshadowed since she had not the same strengths as Olive has nor has she the same strength of Delita's breaks.

Her Madness Rush was a barrage type move with a not too good mod to make it useful. It also lacked something that amplifies her own power. It was only a 4.2x mod, which is (compared to chaining and finishing) a really shabby mod. Also Madness Rush increased her LB gauge fillrate which sounds good, but her LB sadly has a very low mod and except if you had another copy of her, completely useless.

Elza also could not really utilize her TMR since she had no imperils or what so ever. Her attacks simply became dark elemental. That's it. But she still has two neat killers.

Post-Enhancements:
    Elza's breaks got amplified and she also received another +50% ATK for a total of innate 120% ATK passives. Which is indeed really strong and helps her a lot since she still cannot utilize weapon masteries because of her poor equipment selection.

Her Ravaging Blow went up by 10% DEF/SPR in total and also got another 100% mods on top of that. Her breaks are a crucial part of her and also it's nice to have at least some more free damage on it. Overall not the best enhancement but still important for her.

Now, hear me out. Madness Rush is still a Barrage Type move, which is not instantly that bad. It did not only receive almost double the mods but it also received a 50% dark imperil (AoE). This is very crucial. Let me explain why.
    Her dark imperil makes it finally able for her to utilize her own TMR properly. Which boosts her mod by quite an amount again. If you pair her Madness Rush with her own TMR (not even DW) you will have a 11x Mod in the first round (12x in the second). This is really good actually. Her main problem still is that Madness Rush is just a barrage type move.
    BUT if you plan on only using one DPS Unit, this move right here has a really high mod. Not even including her DEF break. As a unit by herself, she can unleash quite some power.

And she still has her Re-Raise to make her even more interesting in solo DPS fights.

Recommendation:
    Actually, I do not recommend enhancing her. Her enhancements are soooo expensive. It's crazy and sad since she becomes a lot more stronger and valuable as breaker + Side DPS / sole DPS.

Dark Reaper: The T4 cost is really high. But it's another 50% ATK bonus on top of her passives. It does not cost any T5 mats though. I semi-recommend it, but only if you can afford such high T4 mats.

Ravaging Blow: Even more expensive than the previous one by exactly one T5 mats. Compared to the rest of the batch, again, I do not really recommend enhancing it unless you really want to or you can afford it easily. Also, Ravaging Blow needs to be paired up with Madness Rush to make it more valuable than Delita's breaks.

Madness Rush: This is really expensive. 2 Million Gil in total, 3x T5 and 12(!) T4 mats. This is just way to expensive. I cannot recommend going for this unless you really really want to use Elza this bad. This is not an enhancement a beginner should get, even if Elza is an outright amazing 1-DPS unit.

Conclusion:
    In my opinion her enhancements are just way to expensive that I would ever highly recommend them excluding the fact that she is still a barrage type user. Her Madness Rush is almost the same cost as DKC's Soul Eater and let's be realistic. DKC's Enhancements (sorry, inappropriate incomming) are literally THE SHIT. They are amazing. Elza feels like a semi-DKC try with too high costs to make it succesful.
    Go for her if you want to. I do not recommend it at all. Too high costs.

@TLA 's: Should you enhance?

Side-Notes:
    As I said before, Enhanced Elza is an amazing 1-DPS Unit. That means if you do not take any chainers with you, only 1 DPS unit from 5 or 6 units in your team, she is amazing. Without her breaks and with DW and her TMR she already has a 23x mod in the first turn. Beautiful. There will not be a similar 1-DPS strength in a long time.

Comparison: Enhanced Delita (Breaker)
    [​IMG]

- Delita's ATK stat is a shame compared to Elza, she has 100% more ATK passives
    - Delita's breaks are seperated in DEF and SPR but are 5% higher
    - Delita's DPS options are horrible
    - Elza does not want a DPS unit besides her really, Delita highly depends on other units to carry him
    - Delita's barrage is horrible compared to Elza's
    - Delita's Enhancements cost are way cheaper

If you solely want a DEF or SPR breaker, Delita is the much wiser choice. Elza though can be really good for Fryevia users as a sole Breaker.
    In terms of pure DPS after breaking Delita loses by far. He cannot compete with Elza's power at all. So if you want more side DPS, choose Elza. She will deal way more damage than Delita.

Comparison: Queen (Barrage Type User)
    [​IMG]

- Elza has higher ATK passives as well as 70% higher innate ATK passives
    - Queen's equipment selection is better but still really limited
    - Elza's madness rush +2 is way stronger than Devastate
    - Both can chain their Barrages with a Dupe
    - Both can auto-revive but Queen's is really limited and will not find much usage outside of killing her on purpose
    - Queen needs a lot setup to be very strong
    - Queen has a neat MP recover to all allies. With her BiS that's about 30 MP per turn

Honestly, unenhanced Queen does not have a chance in terms of DPS. Even with her 200% ATK buff, Elza's Dark imperil would easily top that of (in comparison: DW Devastate = 11x Mod, DW Madness Rush = 24x Mod after imperil)

TL;DR Best Barrage Type user! Just kidding, really high 1-DPS damage as well as strong side DPS. Very expensive Enhancements.

Have a nice day!

Memel0rd out

JMR, Lyra, soomon and 11 others like this.
  2. Armiger

Armiger Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ramza/Aileen
    Jman1115, Memel0rd and Parade like this.
  3. Parade

Parade I'm So Proud of You, Children Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    Nicely done yet again, Memey.

At first I was so impressed by Elza's break. "Wow, DEF/SPR both at once!" Then, some random smart person was like "what is your party setup that you need both broken at once? Do you use Fryevia?" ... then I realized I have an all-Physical party besides Rem (who I currently use as main healer - going to change her to full DPS soon maybe?) so I don't really need to break both :/

Exeon and Memel0rd like this.
  4. spada

spada Arena Runner-Up Arena Runner-Up Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth, Noctis or Lightning usually
    Nice review, meme. Hope i don't get her on this upcoming banner, don't really see a place for her in my team tbh

Parade and Memel0rd like this.
  5. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Well, if you were about to enhance Ace + pull for Vargas.... ::rudecat5::

6. Parade

Parade I'm So Proud of You, Children Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    "Amazing Enhancements" for Anniversary won me over. No Enhancing this week for me.

Exeon likes this.
  7. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Thank you, boi! Well, I already got her. And her max TMR (just waiting for DKC enhancements and spear mastery so I can run DKC + Firion with Elza tmr ::rudecat4::)

Anyway, I don't think anybody is really hoping for either Vargas or Elza. (The most do not)

8. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I swear if Ramza or DKC enhancements are comming, I will kms

9. Yokana

Yokana VIP VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Elza / T.Terra
    She is my main DPS since I got her on the first day in her banner back then and I don't want to miss her ::love::

Shomxx and Memel0rd like this.
  10. Exeon

Exeon Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive, Orlandeau or Event Unit
    Good review, Meme! You're getting better with every unit you do, so keep it up, lad!~

Parade and Memel0rd like this.
  11. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Well, just make sure you won't regret it IF you're enhancing her :).

12. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Thank you thank you! *blushes*

Exeon and Parade like this.
  13. Yokana

Yokana VIP VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Elza / T.Terra
    I already did :D
    Well. I had only enough mats for Dark Reaper +2, Madness Rush and Ravaging Blow +1. Need 9 more giancrysts to fully enhance her.
    I won't regret it, she is a fury! ;)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    KWFFBE and Memel0rd like this.
  14. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Nice! Let's go ::rudecat3::

Yokana likes this.
  15. dbrimstone

dbrimstone Well-Known Member

Leads:
    A2, Tidus, Ace, Trance Terra
    I've got her but the cost is just insane... I can't bring myself to drop that much in crysts on someone who's greatest trials are behind her. She was my main DPS for Greg b/c man eater + Diabolos as well as 6 man Echidna for the same reason. Maybe there will be single target human or demon bosses who are more vulnerable to physical attacks and defense breaks but I just can't justify the insane amount of crysts I'd need to enhance her.

Memel0rd likes this.
  16. Sotoy_yuk

Sotoy_yuk Well-Known Member

Great review as usual sir::up::

I'm an elza fans. I always use her in my team. I'm planning to enhance her but the cost is very expensive::cry::

Memel0rd likes this.
  17. Pendragon

Pendragon Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Extra Crispy Frys
    Hmmm I think Double Fry's after Elza's break will be even more potent ::rudecat5::

18. Almea

Almea The Old One VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth, Noctis, Elza, A2
    She needs her TM to really take advantage of her +2 madness rush enhancement. But if she had that, and paired with another unit using Moonblade... man that would be awesome. It's an AOE imperil.

Memel0rd likes this.
  19. Vash426

Vash426 VIP VIP Supporter

She is awesome looking. I don't have her but from what I see her cost are just too high to justify. Remember this before you start enhancing or pulling for units. After this BF collab we will be getting FFX followed by FF12. That's Rikku who is an awesome support (game changing more like it) and even looks like a good chainer with multiple elements. And FF12 gives us units like Ashe who is a magic chainer who also heals while chaining. I have my team and my 5* units but those two banners alone make me want to reinvent my teams who will consist mostly of 4*s just based on what those two units can do alone. lol. So I would hold off because we will all have access to a 10+1 5* guarantee pull, tons of other stuff and access to some amazing banners. So before you start spending all you get I would hold off because we may get great enhancements next month like the ones we all be waiting for. And if not we will at the very least be pulling great new units that may completely redefine our team build choices.

Memel0rd likes this.
  20. asynchronmk2

asynchronmk2 Well-Known Member

I really, really like her sprite so i hope i will get her in a daily pull. But unfortunately i think she's not worth to hard pull for her. Nice review as always.

Memel0rd likes this.