1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Enhanced Luneth (Final Fantasy III)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Error 404: Long beard not found Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Esther | JP: Akstar
    A young boy hailing from another world where tales are passed down of the Crystals and the Warriors of Light. Like Arc, he is an orphan raised by Elder Topapa in the village of Ur. A very active boy with a strong sense of morality, he is definitely a leader type figure amongst the other children of the village. However, his recklessness can prove to be his weakness at times. On a fateful day, Luneth went to explore the Altar Cave and received a revelation from the Crystal enshrined within. Incredulous, yet willing, he then set off on a journey to save the world.
    My first rainbow on my FFBE account (GL ofc), my favourite FFIII character and finally, his enhancements are here. Did you enhance him, yet? Or did I? ::ink::

Enhanced Luneth Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]
    In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3625 (+390) Mag: 115 (+26)
    MP: 155 (+65) Def: 127 (+26)
    Atk: 146 (+34) Spr: 117 (+26)

The abilities that receive enhancements are BOLD.
    5*: Lvl 15 Counter - Chance to counter physical attacks (30%) with normal attack
    5*: Lvl 52 - HP + 20%
    5*: Lvl 64 Sword Master - Increase ATK (20%) when equipped with a sword
    6*:
    Lvl 1 Ur Pendant - Increase resistance to blind, paralyze, confuse and petrify (100%)
    6*: Lvl 41 Auto-Refresh - Recover MP (5%) per turn
    6*: Lvl 72 - ATK + 30%
    6*: Lvl 100 Dual Wield - Allow use of weapons in both hands, except two-handed weapons
    5*: Lvl 32 Hit All (17 MP / 3-Hit) - Physical damage (1.8x) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 80 Cut Through (45 / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (2.5x) with ignore DEF (25%) to one enemy

6*: Lvl 91 Advance (20 MP) - Increase ATK (60%) for 3 turns to caster
    Decrease DEF (30%) for 3 turns to caster

Enhancements:
    Advance
    : 6* Lvl 91 (20 MP)
    Increase ATK (60%) for 3 turns to caster

Advance +1:
    Physical damage (2x) to one enemy
    Increase ATK (60%) for 3 turns to caster
    Cost: Support (15x T1; 10x T2; 8x T3; 2x T4; 1x T5) 500,000 Gil

Advance +2
    :
    Physical damage (2x) to one enemy
    Increase ATK (100%) for 2 turns to caster
    Decrease DEF (30%) for 2 turns to caster
    Cost: Support (23x T1; 15x T2; 12x T3; 4x T4; 1x T5) 500,000 Gil

Cut Through: 6* Lvl 80 (45 MP / 1-Hit)
    Physical damage (2.5x) with ignore DEF (25%) to one enemy

Cut Through +1:
    Physical damage (2.5x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    Cost: Power (20x T1; 15x T2; 10x T3; 4x T4; 1x T5) 1,000,000 Gil

Cut Through +2:
    Physical damage (3.5x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    If used after Advance:
    Physical damage (5.25x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    Cost
    : Power (30x T1; 23x T2; 15x T3; 8x T4; 2x T5) 1,000,000 Gil

Sword Master: 5* Lvl 64 (Passive)
    Increase ATK (20%) when equipped with a sword

Sword Master +1:
    Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a sword
    Cost: Power (10x T1; 8x T2; 3x T3; 1x T4) 120,000 Gil

Sword Master +2:
    Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a sword
    Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a dagger
    Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a great sword
    Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a katana
    Cost
    : Tech (15x T1; 12x T2; 5x T3; 2x T4) 120,000 Gil

Pre-Enhancements:
    Luneth, just like DKC, was a pretty bad unit. He has several reasons why he fell out of the meta completely.

His base ATK was a bit lower than average, which is not the main problem since many DPS units have slightly lower base ATK. But his ATK passives were also pretty low with a total of 50% ATK passives, which again, is just lower than the average which makes his overall usage more limited.

Besides that, his modifiers were really low. His Cut Through has an effective 3,33x mod, which is just not usable as a real finisher anymore, comparing to e.g. Vargas, who has a 5x modifier, Olive 4.8 and 8.9x with LB, Firion 4.6 etc. Luneth was just no competition anymore and was no threat.

Also, he has no utility, he only has pure damage. No imperils, no breaks (besides his bad LB), nothing. The only reason to use him was for his innate DW, which, in terms of ATK, did not even help him compared to other meta finishers.

So as a conclusion, Luneth was just outshined due to powercreep, there is nothing more to it. Introduced as the King of DPS and fell off quickly once we got some nice chainers and finishers.

Post-Enhancements:
    Luneth is finally back, he wasn't in the meta for A LONG TIME. And he finally is back.

Luneth has similarities with Firion, very high damage potentials. But let's talk about his enhancements first.

Luneth gains a total of 80% ATK passives compared to before, making them 130% total ATK passives, which is definitely above the average. A lot actually. And he still has his innate DW, so Luneth has devastating attack stats. (His BiS which I will talk later about hits 1099 ATK, sick)
    Also, do note, he gets 50% weapon passives to all of his weapons he can innately equip, which means, a beginner can easily achieve very high ATK stats with him because of innate DW and just simply equip a Large Sword and e.g. Katana to him. Large Sword Mastery and Genji Blade coupled with Apocalypse are great ways to get very high attack with Luneth.

Advance is a pretty 50/50 move, it gets worse the better buffers you have. And the damage compared to simply using 2x Cut Through is just slightly higher in exchange for 30% base DEF, which can be considered a trap. I don't know what to think about this, it's a slight damage increase for slightly higher damage taken, so it's up to you if you think this is worth it or not.

And Cut Through is the enhanced ability, that makes Luneth really strong. It becomes an effective 7.0x modifier, with DW a 14.0 modifier. This is really high, Firion is kinda jealous. This matches great with his equipment selection and innate DW so he can vary his elemental damage and adjust himself to each battles.

Overall, Luneth becomes great post-enhancements and is definitely a very strong finisher. He is situationally stronger than Firion, I consider them both on par to some degree. But Firion needs huge amounts of TMR's, while Luneth can reach 1k ATK easily.

Recommendation:
    I recommend enhancing Luneth, he is definitely worth a shot, even though his enhancements are expensive.

Sword Master: Definitely a must have for every Luneth user since he gains another 80% ATK to his innate 30% ATK passives, which ramps his ATK up. The costs are really cheap which makes this even more attractive, especially for beginners. 100% go for this one if you want to use Luneth, essential.

Advance: Like I said before, it's up to you what you think about this, it's pretty expensive for the slight damage increase it grants. Also note, that you will lose out on a lot of damage from Advance if the enemy is dispelling you. Personally, I would not enhance this ability.

Cut Through: Really expensive, same costs like DKC's Soul Eater, but it has similar power spikes. I do recommend enhancing him since Luneth becomes a powerhouse with them, so yes. If you can afford it of course, 2 million Gil and 12x T4 is not something everybody can / wants to afford.

Side-Notes:
    There is actually a possibility that Luneth can keep up with DKC's insane damage, but still a bit lower. That niche will put Luneth above Firion (which I will have to include into the unit rankings probably).
    Use Luneth with two Tidus' and their 100% water imperil alongside Brotherhood, which I included into his BiS build earlier. ~1.1k attack with a 28.0 modifier is just a force. The problem is, why he can't outdamage DW DKC, because of the imperil being delayed alongside being LB based and not having a chain in the first turn.
    But still pretty pretty strong.

Conclusion:
    Luneth is a very very powerful finisher and will still be pretty strong in the future, though there will be a lot of forces that will outshine him.
    E.g. 300% DH Cloud, 250% DH DKC, DW DKC, Fixed Dice Fire Veritas, Balthier, possible Global Exclusive finishers.
    But still, Luneth is a good investment, especially for people that HATE TMR farming, he is great and will be for a very long time.
    So yeah, go for him. Compared to DKC, he doesn't kill himself, which puts him above DKC for many people.

Comparison: Enhanced Dark Knight Cecil
    [​IMG]
    - Luneth has lower base ATK but way higher total ATK passives (60% more)
    - Luneth has innate DW
    - Dark Knight Cecil's modifier is higher
    - Dark Knight Cecil boosts his modifiers by 100% because of the imperil of Soul Eater
    - Dark Knight Cecil kills and heals himself at the same turn
    - Dark Knight Cecil supports teams, while Luneth is solely for damage
    - Luneth has status ailment protection
    - Luneth has higher survivability due to DKC killing himself
    - DKC is restricted to dark elemental

There is one thing to note with DKC comparisons (at least 99% of them).
    In terms of pure damage, DKC will pretty much always win, but sacrifices his HP to do so.
    So in this case, Luneth is way more friendly towards beginners because of the innate DW, is seriously strong for beginners and still has the potential to outdamage enhanced Firion, who already is a huge force himself. Firion still has many cases where he outshines Luneth by a little bit, but just imagine DKC's power then.
    So in terms of damage, DKC is the winner. But he kills himself *shrugs*
    Also, Luneth can achieve compareable damage with a good Tidus Setup.

Comparison: Enhanced Firion
    [​IMG]

- Luneth has way higher base ATK and way higher ATK passives (80% - 60%)
    - Luneth has way higher modifiers
    - Firion has a high variety of very strong killers
    - Both have weapon passives to all their innate weapons
    - Both are high versatile DPS units
    - Both have only DPS basically
    - Luneth can use Brotherhood with Dark Knight's Soul, while a water setup with Firion is not the best option

Overall, this is a very beautiful comparison, because both kind of outdamage the other. It's very situational and that's why I like to put them on the same level.
    There are many scenarios where Firion outdamages Luneth slightly, but there are also a lot of scenarios where Luneth outdamages Firion.
    One thing I am pretty sure of, is, that the setup is depending on the damage. If you can use a 2x Tidus, 1x Luneth setup with Luneth equipped with a Brotherhood, he might as well outdamage Firion.
    But as a counterpart, Firion can be run with DKC and two Orlandeau's that have Dark weapons as well, which overall can outdamage 2x Luneth + 2x Tidus. Which are pretty unrealistic scenarios, of course, but just to show you the potential both of these characters have.
    But as it is, Luneth is definitely way beginner friendly, Firion eats up a lot of TMR's to achieve his high power as well as the newest trial knuckle, which many people cannot obtain.
    So overall, Luneth wins.

TL;DR
    Worth enhancing him, serious power, high versatile elemental choice etc. He's good!

And no, I did not enhance him, but that is because of me loving DKC and putting DKC above Luneth because of his higher DPS. But that's your decision what you like better, high risk high reward or "consistent" DPS.

@TLA 's : Should you Enhance?

Have a nice day!

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Master Red, Magoya, JMR and 24 others like this.
  2. Stephane

Stephane Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth
    Luneth should have 130% innate attack I believe, 30% out of the box and 100% more for abusing his 2 weapons mastery, making him easily cap +300% atk with his BiS. He's really reaching his limit to be able to be back to the meta game, a beautiful come back, yeah.

3. Armiger

Armiger Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ramza/Aileen
    [​IMG] nice review::rudecat5::

drkelly and Memel0rd like this.
  4. Mirwouk

Mirwouk Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    E.Luneth or Event Unit
    You mention reference to Luneths BiS a few timez but there is no link or setup i can see...unless im being blind.

Thanks for the review. Always appreciate them. Was tempted to go the DKC line, but im f2p and just dont have the setup to support him. Luneth is easier to setup a team around

5. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Error 404: Long beard not found Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Brotherhood
    Save the Queen
    Riders Helm / Black Cowl
    Demon mail (1. Sword 2. Brave suit is useless because of the 300% cap)
    2x bracer / Celestial glove
    Dark knight's soul
    Large Sword Mastery
    2x wisdom / Quick assault
    Odin

There ye go

Exdeath-chan and Mirwouk like this.
  6. Mirwouk

Mirwouk Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    E.Luneth or Event Unit
    Cheers Memel0rd

7. Arkadi

Arkadi Ludicrous Speed! VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Something relevant for current events
    @Memel0rd You mention that Firion can out damage Luneth after both are enhanced, but in reality, any time that Firion would win, you can just slap a killer on Luneth and he pulls ahead of Firion (even if you give the same killer to Firion). This is considering that both use an equivalent -50% Imperil, +100% ATK buff, and -45% DEF break.

Math on the various finishers was done here (post Aigaion gear included):
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/6i8y5i/analyse_damage_potential_of_various_finisher/

Memel0rd likes this.
  8. He4t

He4t Ascended Member

ty for ur Review.
    Enhanced dkc yesterday (i got him on First luneth banner and was very disapointed).
    a Minute ago i did a Single Ticket Pull.
    ...guess it was luneth ::blackmage::.
    Happy Now, but no Mats die Enhancement

Memel0rd likes this.
  9. Parade

Parade I'm So Proud of You, Children VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    Looks fantastic, very fair comparisons, all information presented without any important details left out. Well done.

I think Advance is bleh, I would never spend Support Crysts on that >.<

Exeon and Memel0rd like this.
  10. Faraz Arshad

Faraz Arshad Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh 1955 ATK
    You got
    I got Luneth on the DKC Banner (Dark Destroyers) I almost pissed myself because there was a Troll Garland & Gaffgarion just waiting for me

Memel0rd likes this.
  11. Faraz Arshad

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh 1955 ATK
    Luneth finally got some respect after such a long time, My first Rainbow *Tears of Joy
    Luneth-6.png

Memel0rd likes this.
  12. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Thanks, I will Edit the post later!

Exdeath-chan and Arkadi like this.
  13. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Congrats man! Hope ye will have some fun with him :)

Exdeath-chan and Faraz Arshad like this.
  14. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    ::love::

Exdeath-chan likes this.
  15. Faraz Arshad

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh 1955 ATK
    Thank you so much, Great review BTW

16. Max

Max Ascended Member

Great review as always. I'm feeling tempted in enhancing mine, the only thing that holds me back is Aileen enhancements. Do you guys think she is coming soon?

17. Robertk

Robertk Ascended Member

I actually moogle'd brave suit for Luneth, while not knowing that there was a 300% cap for him. Now unfortunately i did not had raw att+ pieces available to replace att% either. Decided to put riku's pouch on his 2nd slot. Definitely not a bad decision if you ask me. He has all important ailment protection already on him so he can freely use panacea, and eccentrick is quite efficient on him, especially first turn when you are buffing your party up.

18. Steelwind

Steelwind "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2, Orlandeau
    What did you give Luneth to hit 300% cap?

19. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Well, technically he overstacks with Bravesuit (305%), and since his BiS requires brotherhood with 2 tidus' in terms of highest damage (not counting DKC since most comps will not run 2 finishers), Demon Mail is the better choice anyway.

Exdeath-chan likes this.
  20. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Not necessarily, her enhancements are really really good. In the JP schedule she was in Batch 5, while Tidus was in Batch 6 and Orlandeau Batch 8 or 9, which is pretty much a fucked up schedule since Orlandeau's enhancements are really bad.
    That's why I think Orlandeau will be the first one to get enhanced.

Exdeath-chan, Max and Parade like this.