1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Enhanced Ramza (Final Fantasy Tactics)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Rizer is broken Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Warrior of Light Bartz
    A young man who appears in the tales of holy stones known as auracite in the distant world of Ivalice. Ramza is a mysterious warrior who left many questions unanswered, after his untimely death, regarding his role in the War of Lions, and his actions as a heretic. Born the third and last son of the noble house of Beoulve, he strove to uphold his family name by becoming a knight alongside his childhood friend Delita, eventually joining the Gariland Royal Military Akademy with him. However, when compared to his two half brothers who were already knights, he never considered himself worthy of the house name.
    The boy Ramza, finally we have him (well since thursday, but pssshhht), and good god he does great things.

Enhanced Ramza Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Brave Suit (Clothes) - 51 DEF, +15% ATK/MAG

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3538 (+450) Mag: 122 (+30)
    MP: 156 (+75) Def: 130 (+30)
    Atk: 140 (+30) Spr: 119 (+30)

The abilities that receive enhancements are BOLD.
    5*: Lvl 5 Entrust (18 MP ) - Use own LB gauge to fill ally's gauge

5*: Lvl 21 Mind Break (12 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (1.8x) to one enemy
    Decrease MAG (40%) for 5 turns to one enemy

5*: Lvl 48 Medicate (6 MP) - Cure blind, poison, and silence to caster

5*: Lvl 65 Cheer (48 MP) - Increase ATK/DEF (40%) for 3 turns to all allies

5*: Lvl 76 Holy Blade (29 MP / 1-Hit) - Light hybrid damage (4.6x) to one enemy

6*: Lvl 12 Weapon Break (12 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (1.8x) to one enemy
    Decrease ATK (40%) for 5 turns to one enemy

6*: Lvl 24 Hero's Rime (20 MP) - Increase ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR (40%) for 3 turns to all allies while singing
    5*: Lvl 36 - DEF + 20%
    5*: Lvl 36 - SPR + 20%
    6*: Lvl 1 Justice - Increase resistance to all status ailments (50%)
    6*: Lvl 52 - MAG + 30%
    6*: Lvl 86 - HP + 20%
    6*: Lvl 86 - ATK + 20%
    6*: Lvl 92 Auto-Refresh - Recover MP (5%) per turn
    5*: Lvl 14 Protect (4 MP) - Increase DEF (20%) for 3 turns to one ally

5*: Lvl 14 Shell (4 MP) - Increase SPR (20%) for 3 turns to one ally

5*: Lvl 42 Cura (7 MP) - Heal (400 HP, 3x) to all allies

6*: Lvl 100 Ultima (60 MP / 1-Hit) - Magic damage (2.8x) with ignore SPR (25%) to all enemies

Enhancements:
    Hero's Rime
    : 6* Lvl 24 (20 MP)
    Increase ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR (40%) for 3 turns to all allies while singing

Hero's Rime +1:
    Increase ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR (80%) for 3 turns to all allies while singing
    Cost: Support (15x T1; 10x T2; 8x T3; 2x T4; 1x T5) 500,000 Gil

Hero's Rime +2:
    Increase ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR (100%) for 3 turns to all allies while singing
    Heal (1150 HP, 8x) split over 3 turns to all allies while singing
    Refresh (20 MP, 0.5x) MP split over 3 turns to all allies while singing
    Cost: Support (23x T1; 15x T2; 12x T3; 4x T4; 2x T5) 500,000 Gil

Mind Break: 5* Lvl 21 (12 MP / 1-Hit)
    Physical damage (1.8x) to one enemy
    Decrease MAG (40%) for 5 turns to one enemy

Mind Break +1:

Decrease MAG (50%) for 5 turns to one enemy
    Cost: Black (15x T1; 8x T2; 5x T3; 1x T4) 250,000 Gil

Mind Break +2:

Decrease MAG (60%) for 5 turns to one enemy
    Cost: Black (23x T1; 12x T2; 8x T3; 2x T4; 1x T5) 250,000 Gil

Weapon Break: 6* Lvl 12 (12 MP / 1-Hit)
    Decrease ATK (40%) for 5 turns to one enemy

Weapon Break +1:

Decrease ATK (50%) for 5 turns to one enemy
    Cost: Black (15x T1; 8x T2; 5x T3; 1x T4) 250,000 Gil

Weapon Break +2:

Decrease ATK (60%) for 5 turns to one enemy
    Cost: Black (23x T1; 12x T2; 8x T3; 2x T4; 1x T5) 250,000 Gil

Pre-Enhancements:
    Ramza..... was awful.

Ramza has decent allround base stats with mostly 20% all stat buff passives coupled with a 5% MP refresh and 50% all status ailment resistance. Back in the day that was insane, nowadays it's only decent, but that's still something.

He had two breaks, that both either broke 40% ATK or MAG for 5 turns. And this really isn't meta anymore, I mean for early content this is still great. But the more you move on in the trials etc. it gets worse and worse and at the current point really not usable.

Outside of that, Ramza is able to buff your party. Either with Cheer, an AoE 3 turn 40% ATK/DEF buff or with Hero's Rime an AoE 40% all stat buff SONG. So Ramza would lock himself. Yeah, you see the deal, Ramza is as outdated as you expect him to be for such an old unit.

Back in the day people used him as quite effective mage due to his innate Ultima and Cura for side-heals. But again, his MAG stat nowadays is way too low to be usable and the spells are, too.

Overall Ramza nowadays without enhancements is barely usable and only really viable with Rikku's Pouch and Pod 153. Because they replace his entire kit.

Post-Enhancements:
    Time to flip the tables guys, Ramza is about to unleash his enhancements.

Right off the bet, Ramza's previously useless Hero's Rime becomes a lot lot better once you get it up to Hero's Rime +2. Why so?
    It now buffs all stats of your party up to 100% all stat while having great AoE HP and MP regens! Even with pretty low SPR, you can easily regen 40-50 MP per turn with that and 1.500 HP! This is a great tool, instantly jumping into the fight with that is a blessing.

Both Weapon Break and Mind Break now go up to a 60% break with their enhancements, making them the strongest breaks outside of limit bursts! This, again, is just massive to jump into a fight with. Sometimes you might even skip the song first to use the breaks. For reference, a 60% break reduces the incoming type damage by ~86%! This is a HUGE damage reduction and it will make surviving a lot easier as long as the enemy can be broken.

However, Ramza sadly cannot equip staves, which CURRENTLY lowers his SPR a bit. In the near future, we will get Eiko (5*), who will have a one-handed harp that has pretty high spirit. Which means, combined with Ramza's awesome equipment selection, you should be able to get high SPR fairly easily.

And these are the enhancements basically. Ramza jumps right back into the meta as one of the best support buffers, personally I think Roy is better by a small amount but some people say otherwise. So it's pretty much your own personal preference. He can also be built in a few fun ways like with Rikku's Pouch and Pod 153, become your main breaker while using these two TMRs and occasionally use his innate Entrust to support your LBs (because his own is useless). Or you make him your dedicated buffer while also being a side-healer and your MP battery.

Best In Slot:
    This build is going for the max survivability while remaining good SPR. It ALREADY INCLUDES Eiko's TMR, so keep that in mind. She shouldn't be too far off.
    Eiko TMR (48 MAG 98 SPR One-Handed Harp, Skills: [HP+10%)
    Zodiac Escutcheon (60 DEF, 70 SPR, 10% evasion)
    Glacial Hat (500 HP, 16 DEF, 50 SPR)
    Robe of Forgiveness (DEF+30, SPR+55, HP +10%)
    Arsha's Talisman (20% HP, 10% DEF/SPR)
    Flamecloak (18 DEF, 30% SPR)
    ADV 5 (40% DEF/SPR)
    Thirst of Survival (30% HP/SPR)
    Patriotic Recall x2 (60%% HP, 40% DEF)

Stats with Bahamut:
    10534 HP
    524 DEF
    680 SPR

You can now click on the compared unit's image to the respective review! (Wiki entry if no review)

Enhanced Ramza [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Roy
    • Roy has better defensive stats
    • Roy's songs effectiveness is delayed
    • Ramza's song is instant
    • Ramza's song has higher HP/MP regens than Roy's regular songs
    • Roy's Limit Burst completely outclasses Ramza's song completely
    • Ramza has instant ST 5 turn 60% ATK or MAG breaks
    • Ramza has 50% all status ailment resistance (not reliable)
    • Ramza has Entrust
    • Ramza has a massive equipment selection
    Some argue that Ramza is way better for short fights. Well, he indeed is, but it's not by a lot. Roy however after a short amount of time ramps up so much that it's not that much of an advantage for Ramza. However, Ramza's 60% breaks are quite astonoshing. Either for 10 man trial content as pure breaker or as a Pod 153 / Rikku's Pouch support, Ramza can focus on his breaks a lot and give him a different role while also being your MP battery with his song when needed.
    Once you get Roy's Limit Burst set, there is no point in using Ramza as pure bard.
    Additionally, Ramza can also equip way more different equips, especially making his physical defense potentially go up a lot in case you need this. It's also easier for Ramza to possibly achieve a 100% evasion build for... whatever reason.
    Overall, personally I like Roy more, but I do see that, outside of spamming Roy's LB, Ramza can perform really well as well. So I say it's pretty much personal preference for now.

Enhanced Ramza [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Enhanced Soleil
    • Ramza has way higher base stats (except SPR) and higher defensive passives
    • Soleil has reliable status ailment protection
    • Ramza has amazing equipment choices
    • Soleil has 30% innate dodge
    • Soleil is slightly delayed
    • Soleil can buff up to 120% all stat
    • Ramza has strong HP/MP regens and 100% buffs
    • Ramza has ST 5 turn 60% MAG or ATK breaks
    • Ramza has Entrust
    • Soleil is not locked into a song
    Overall, even though Soleil has 20% higher stat buffs, Ramza in almost any case performs a lot better. Why?
    Because Ramza combines the role of an AoE buffer with the role of a MP battery, which is a very valuable slot. Soleil cannot do that, though Soleil has her own respective nice: 10 man trials. Ramza's song will make it impossible for you to switch because the song locks Ramza, instantly using up your unit's action thus disabling your switching of party members. In these trials, Soleil shines.
    Outside of that, Ramza almost always wins only regarding the buffer aspect. But for fights, that are fairly short, Soleil can perform better because you won't run out of MP on turn 1 mostly.
    Generally Ramza wins.

Recommendation:
    Hero's Rime - A massive boost for Ramza and your team, fairly costly but totally worth it. This ability made Ramza a very desirable unit for many previously talked about reasons. It uses up support crystals and a total of 1m gil, but does so much. If you want to use Ramza, definitely enhance this.

Mind Break / Weapon Break - If you only use Ramza for buffing, you can freely skip this. However, this can be a great thing to have in 10 man trials, because maybe you will have a free slot to use and just add Ramza for his 5 turn 60% breaks! They last very long and reduce the incoming damage by ~86% and solely that can make fights a lot lot easier. Also, they use black crysts with fairly cheap costs. You can skip it, but I recommend enhancing it as well.

Conclusion:
    Even if
    Ramza's enhancements got delayed, they still have their respective impact. Regarding myself, I already enhanced him, but I lack some black crysts (T1 and T2) to fully enhance him, the song I did already. And I've did some testings and he definitely will my life a lot easier.
    Ramza works out, he does what he has to do and he does it with excellency. He is a very boring unit overall if you use him as bard, because he literally only uses one ability, but you have to live with that. At least his sprite looks good.
    Overall Ramza is definitely worth a shot, as long as you do not have Roy. Or if you are fine with your enhanced Soleil, you can skip enhancing him as well. But you might consider it, seeing how he makes party compositions a lot more easier.

Character Design: 6/10
    Sprite: 9/10
    Support: 9.5/10
    Trust Master Reward: 7/10
    Arena: 4/10
    Limit Burst: 1/10
    Future Proof: 8.5-9/10
    Free 2 Play: 9.5/10
    Pay 2 Play: 9/10
    Personal Rating: 9.5/10
    Optimal Rating: 9/10

[Enhancement Batch #10 Reviews]
    [​IMG] Aileen (5*)

Hope you enjoyed the review! My weekend feels very refreshing, do not have to prepare as much as the past weekends and I bought myself Oblivion and The Forest. Coming back to FFBE after playing it feels very refreshing, haven't been actively playing other games for a longer while because I didn't have much time to enjoy them. :) Hope your weekend goes well! Cya!

Wanna support me?
    My Patreon

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Verges, Ultimasta, keoten and 42 others like this.
  2. Shr

Shr Arena Grand Champion Arena Grand Champion Spooky Arena Runner Up S3 VIP Supporter Monthly Arena Champ S2 Monthly Arena Champ S1

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yes
    Gunso
    "Right off the bet"

This bothers me a bit

Other than that great review as always meme, thanks for this.
    I have Roy and fully enhanced Soleil not sure if I should bother enhancing Ramza as well. The breaks might be worth it.

Maelstrom and Memel0rd like this.
  3. House of Anchors

House of Anchors Ascended Member Supporter

YES, best character!

Memel0rd likes this.
  4. Milarion

Milarion Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    1.2k ATK DH Prompto or Firion
    Ramza has 30% MAG boosts innately, might wanna change that up

5. Ozwitch

Ozwitch Well-Known Member

Most of meta atackers has own buffs and wilhelm has buffs too . For hard trials bards luxury for me instead of bards using 2 tanks or dmg redaction etc better for me

6. Novaultima

Novaultima VIP VIP

Global ID:
    441 833 663
    Leads:
    2B upgr nonelmt
    I like boring but superb units ::=3::

I want him so badly actually. His best advantage is propably that while he is locked for 3 turns on his song he canĀ“t effectively get MP leeched and his own MP AoE Regen can get quiet strong I guess.

Memel0rd likes this.
  7. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Rizer is broken Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    That's why I said "Mostly 20%" :D

8. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Nobody said Bards are needed :) They are luxury.

Road Ants and Ozwitch like this.
  9. seilaoque

seilaoque VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    DPS for latest trial.
    18x
    IMO, Roy is far a better buffer.

for OTK, they're both equal as Angel's Whim buffs ATK/MAG +100% on turn 1 exactly like Ramza's Song and for OTK the defensive bonuses are worthless.

for everything else, keeping your team alive and kicking is more important, and both can have the same size defensive buffs also on turn 1.

Roy's HP and MP refresh from the third turn on is stronger (Ramza has 1150 x8 HP for 3 turns (or 383 x2.7 per turn) against Roy's 800 5.5x for TWO turns (or 400 x2.7 per turn) on his basic song, MP refreshes are 20 x0.2 for both, but Roy is again only split in 2 turns where Ramza is split in 3.... so Roy refreshes 50% more MP than Ramza.

Also, as Roy's songs only last for 2 turns, you can actually run him on a 10man... you'll be able to switch units every second turn, and whoever comes in after the switch will receive the full bonus from the next song as Roy activates it, as opposed to what happens with Soleil.

so, unless you're talking about a 2~4 turns fight where staying alive is a big issue then Roy is simply better than Ramza, IMO.

great review as always.

ejx220, Randkin and Takumi Kuzuryu like this.
  10. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Yes, as a pure bard, Roy will always outperform Ramza. But the pro about Ramza are his huge breaks. Yes, you will have to give up 1~2 turns of singing, but units like Basch and Wilhelm provide 5 turn AoE 80% DEF/SPR buffs, enabling you to use his breaks easily and holy balls the breaks change the fight a lot. That's why Ramza can be considered better. :D About the bard part, I fully agree!

Takumi Kuzuryu and Bravest like this.
  11. Fencat

Fencat "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther
    Thank you for the review!

I had really high hopes about Ramza as I like the idea of a unit that can do 2-3 roles in 1 but... Big drawback I just learned the other day about bards is songs only apply buffs on first turn.
    So if someone is dispelled or dies and is raised during the "locked in song" turns they get no buffs at all. This means part of your party might be without buffs for a full 2 rounds until he can start his song over again....

This to me is terrible and is making me seriously consider not using a bard sadly... :(

Punyakoko and Memel0rd like this.
  12. seilaoque

seilaoque VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    DPS for latest trial.
    18x
    yeah, those breaks are great.
    other units you'll bring with you won't have anything above 50% normally... and 50% is well, a lot worse than 60% breaks... specially if you're talking about defensive breaks, which are quadratic instead of linear, you'd be taking 36% less damage when using a 60% break over a 50% break and this is CRAZY.

if we compare it against the 40% breaks from Roy.... then, it's a whooping 56% damage reduction... but Roy also does offensive breaks.

at the end of the day it really depends on if you actually need the breaks or not and if weaker breaks from roy himself or someone like Orlandeau, wouldn't cut it.
    different units for different jobs.

13. Sagranth

Sagranth "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter Monthly Arena Champ S1

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther,Zeno,Sieghard,Charlotte,Cilka
    I don't have Roy or a mana battery without enhancements(and i would hate wasting mats just for that purpose),so his enhancements are a godsend to me.I do have eSoleil but with 2B being my main dps i ran into mp problems quite a lot in the long run(had to equip Odin for lance),this has been changed as he restores enough mp to go full out without worrying even with only ~450-ish spirit.I do need to enhance his breaks,but i'm almost fully out of black crysts after enhancing Rem's Doomerang.Maybe i'll use him as a breaker too on Sheratan.
    But i'm a bit disappointed as well,seeing how he got 0 GL buffs after being delayed so much.At least his status resistances could've been upped as a niche over others.

Memel0rd likes this.
  14. Koubo

Koubo Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Chritine|A2|GLS|Barbie
    Short, and straightforward :)
    Thanks Meme! Never bored about reading your review!
    Same for Roy even if it's dalayed for the regular long road of song. And because my MP Battery's option was really bad back then, i try a bit, and I got it as you told me (IYRC? :p)

Now, my Roy fully poted+LB lvl23 (with 5 LB.Cryst/T) with around 650-680 SPR unbuffed, i guess i'll not Enhance Ramza soon or, just DAT Break. Dat fuuuuu...ing Break! I have K.Delita but it's not friendly user sometime (if he is not here only for breaking i mean) i remember using K.Delita as a PoD Chainer + LB Breaker for Sheratan, and it was not friendly at all (plus, the first R10 fight was the first step into a new mecanic. Have to handle that)

I'll wait for him and enhance him if needed (TBH i'm short of 1 T5 support for his song, but is break are more apealing for me and far cheaper)
    We shouldn't forget Lunera too, she came to us with a little GlobalBuff, part of her JP's Enhancement so she might be very insane here (Goomi's call) we shall see :)

Cheer ;)

15. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    He doesn't need any buffs however. You can ask for buffs once we get his 7* :D

Sagranth likes this.
  16. Krota

Krota "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yun, Ang, Fry, Chow, Christine, GLS
    I have a Roy, but I'm really waiting on Lunera's enhancments. I hope Gumi treats her better than they did Ramza.

17. Koubo

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Chritine|A2|GLS|Barbie
    His 7Star is bad? Haven't checked it yet and i pull a 2nd Ramza yesterday...
    (all my first dupe are bad or meh futur 7 stars .. "lol") :p

18. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    It's not bad, but not "woah 7*"

Punyakoko and Koubo like this.
  19. Koubo

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Chritine|A2|GLS|Barbie
    Ok thanks for your answer :)

i'll check that tomorrow, going to sleep right now :) Good night

20. Gully

Gully Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Loren,Hyoh,Fry,OK
    Thank you for the review!
    I must say something of Ramza , if your character dead he can't receive Buff/heal/Mp Recovery until Ramza Sing again.

Memel0rd likes this.