1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Enhanced Randi (Secret of Mana)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Warrior of Light Bartz
    A young boy who fought with a legendary holy sword in a world protected by the great power of mana. Though he was brought to Potos Village when he was very young by his mother, he soon found himself completely alone and without any family, at which time the village head took him in. However, seen as an outsider, he was picked on by the local bullies, and unfortunately grew up to be a very timid and cowardly little boy. Then one day, having pulled out the legendary holy sword, Randi set off to save the world in which the balance of mana had begun to crumble.
    Aye, red spiky hair that works against gravity? Check.
    Classy RPG sword that has seemingly huge impact? Check.
    Too lazy to continue. Enjoy the review!

If anyone happens to have a Randi Account that they don't play on as much or never anymore, please click on the following:
    Here

Enhanced Randi Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]
    (only fanart I found that didn't look horrible)

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*
    Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Mana Blade (Sword) - ATK+101, DEF+8, MAG+8, SPR+8

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3651 (+390) Mag: 111 (+26)
    MP: 153 (+65) Def: 128 (+26)
    Atk: 142 (+34) Spr: 119 (+26)

The abilities that receive enhancements are BOLD.
    5*: Lvl 9 - DEF + 20%
    5*: Lvl 27 Spirit Slayer - Increase physical damage against fairies (50%)
    5*: Lvl 45 Auto-Charge - Increase LB gauge (2) each turn
    5*:
    Lvl 54 Beast Killer - Increase physical damage against beasts (50%)
    5*: Lvl 60 Undead Killer - Increase physical damage against undead monsters (50%)
    6*: Lvl 1 Mana's Bond - Increase ATK (10%) and resistance to status ailments (25%)
    6*:
    Lvl 36 Third Eye - Chance to evade physical damage taken (15%)
    6*: Lvl 58 - ATK + 20%
    6*: Lvl 72 - HP + 20%
    6*: Lvl 83 Hero of Mana - Increase damage against beasts, dragons, fairies, and undead monsters (75%)
    6*: Lvl 91 Dragon Killer - Increase physical damage against dragons (50%)
    6*: Lvl 100 Hero of Legend - Increase ATK (35%) and DEF/SPR (20%) when equipped with a sword
    5*: Lvl 1 Power Charge (10 MP) - Increase LB gauge fill rate (200%) for 5 turns to caster

5*: Lvl 18 Finisher (5 MP / 1-Hit) - 50% accurate physical damage (1x) with critical (100%) to one enemy

5*: Lvl 80 Slice Thrice (30 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (2.15x) to one enemy
    Decrease DEF (35%) for 3 turns to one enemy

Enhancements:
    Mana's Bond
    : 6* Lvl 1 (Passive)
    Increase ATK (10%) and resistance to status ailments (25%)

Mana's Bond +1:
    Increase ATK (10%) and resistance to status ailments (50%)
    Cost
    : Guard (15x T1; 8x T2; 5x T3; 1x T4) 250,000 Gil

Mana's Bond +2
    :
    Increase ATK (10%) and resistance to status ailments(100%)
    Heal (60 HP, 1.2x) per turn
    Recover MP (5%) per turn
    Cost
    : Guard(23x T1; 12x T2; 8x T3; 2x T4; 1x T5) 250,000 Gil

Hero of Legend: 6* Lvl 100 (Passive)
    Increase ATK (35%) and DEF/SPR (20%) when equipped with a sword

Hero of Legend +1:
    Increase ATK (50%) and DEF/SPR (35%) when equipped with a sword
    Cost: Suppoert (20x T1; 15x T2; 10x T3; 4x T4) 1,000,000 Gil

Hero of Legend +2:
    Increase ATK (70%) and DEF/SPR (35%) when equipped with a sword
    Increase equipment ATK (100%) and DEF/SPR (50%) when single wielding
    Cost
    : Support (30x T1; 23x T2; 15x T3; 8x T4; 2x T5) 1,000,000 Gil

Power Charge: 5* Lvl 1 (10 MP)
    Increase LB gauge fill rate (200%) for 5 turns to caster

Power Charge +1:
    Increase ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR (100%) for 2 turns to caster
    Cost
    : Tech (15x T1; 8x T2; 5x T3; 1x T4) 250,000 Gil

Power Charge +2:
    Increase ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR (100%) for 2 turns to caster
    Enables access to the following abilities for 3 turns:

Swinging Slash (35 MP / 2-Hit) - Physical damage combo (3 times, 1.6x each, 4.8x total) to all enemies

Whirlwind Slash (35 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (7x) to one enemy
    Decrease wind resistance (50%) for 5 turns to one enemy
    Add wind element to physical attacks for 5 turns to caster

Torrential Slash (35 MP / 10-Hit) - Physical damage (7x) to one enemy

Cost: Tech (23x T1; 12x T2; 8x T3; 2x T4; 1x T5) 250,000 Gil

Auto-Charge: 5* Lvl 45 (Passive)
    Increase LB gauge (2) each turn

Auto-Charge +1:
    Increase LB gauge (4) per turn
    Cost: Support (15x T1; 8x T2; 5x T3; 1x T4) 250,000 Gil

Auto-Charge +2:
    Increase LB gauge (6) per turn
    Increase ATK (30%)
    Cost
    : Support (23x T1; 12x T2; 8x T3; 2x T4; 1x T5) 250,000 Gil

Slice Thrice: 5* Lvl 80 (30 MP / 1-Hit)
    Physical damage (2.15x) to one enemy
    Decrease DEF (35%) for 3 turns to one enemy

Slice Thrice +1:
    Physical damage (3x) to one enemy
    Decrease DEF (50%) for 3 turns to one enemy
    Cost: Power (15x T1; 8x T2; 5x T3; 1x T4) 250,000 Gil

Slice Thrice +2: (30 MP / 3-Hit)
    Physical damage (4x) to one enemy
    Decrease DEF (50%) for 3 turns to one enemy
    Cost: Power (23x T1; 12x T2; 8x T3; 2x T4; 1x T5) 250,000 Gil

Pre-Enhancements:
    Randi
    had a lot of issues to get into the game. Though he still has some pretty decent tools currently.
    He has 65% ATK Passives when he has a sword equipped, he has 40% DEF, 20% SPR, 20% HP while his ATK stat is a little lower than average but the rest of his stats look really clean. He has good HP, pretty good DEF and decent enough SPR, which makes him overall fairly enough bulky.

Not only that, but he had 125% Killers against Beasts, Undead, Dragons and Fairies. Which are pretty common killers in total, Beasts are seen really often, Fairies (aka mages and such) aren't that common currently though. But if he procs them, it was still a lot of damage.

Randi also has 15% physical evasion, fine enough. But the rest of his kit is super outdated.
    His Power Charge seems really bad because his Limit Burst in general isn't great at all. DW Slice Thrice is already stronger.
    Which leads me immediately to Slice Thrice. Not only is the modifier super weak with a mere 2.15x modifier, but it also has a DEF Break attached. And it's only 35%, which is just really low. And that is his only damaging ability.

Mana's Bond with an allround 25% status ailment protection... yeah, that's not really something you want to rely on at all. While his Auto-Charge seems barely useful because of his very average Limit Burst.
    Randi also CANNOT equip Heavy Armor, which makes his usage of swords a little bit demotivating.

So how did he fare? Really bad. Randi got into the meta pretty good but fell off quickly because not much of his kit made him somewhat resistent against the massive powercreep.

Post-Enhancements:
    If you really enhance him fully, Randi becomes a monster.
    He gains another 65% ATK Passives for a total of 130% (!), he gains another 15% DEF/SPR to make him more survivable, he gains a 5% MP Refresh and Auto-Regen, he gains a free Ribbon (!), just stat wise he's going nuts like crazy.

But not only that, with Hero of Legend +2, Randi also gains 100% DH and an exclusive 50% DH to DEF and SPR. Which is amazing, Randi has crazy high DEF and SPR for a DPS unit. Let me show you the build real quick.
    Mana Blade
    Black Cowl
    Monster Breastplate
    Celestial Glove
    Celestial Glove
    Doublehand
    Quick Assault
    Quick Assault
    Wisdom

HP: 5657
    Attack with Odin (62,5 ATK): 1128
    Attack after Power Charge: 1304
    MAG: not important
    DEF with Odin (43,1): 490
    DEF after Power Charge: 645
    SPR with Odin (22): 357
    SPR after Power Charge: 502
    So you can see, he has really good stats and should not die anytime soon. In fact, besides HP, he has better stats than my currently geared EV (without buffs ~10k HP, 450 DEF, 300 SPR). So yeah.... lmao.

Slice Thrice now becomes a 3-Hit move (basically his regular attack) but now is a 4x modifier with an attached 50% DEF break, so if the enemy doesn't have DEF break immunity he can act as that pretty good as well.

But his main deal is Power Charge +2. It's awesome. While he gains 100% boosts to everything for 2 turns, he gains three abilities for three turns after the activation turn.
    Swinging Slash isn't the best move. It's an AoE move with a decent modifier, but is split into 3 instances like a barrage type move.
    He has two really powerful moves.

Whirlwind Slash is a 1-Hit move with a 700% modifier, which is huge, but also imperils the enemy's wind resistance for 50% while also ADDING wind elemental to his attacks. So you don't have to rely on wind weapons for him to have wind elemental in his attacks. A powerful finisher move.

But Randi can also act as a strong DH Chainer. For that, I would suggest equipping an elemental sword like Brotherhood to him (his attack with Brotherhood is 1213 pre-power charge) because it's a non-elemental 700% mod with 10 Hits!
    10 Hits is a lot and he doesn't move + he can easily perfect chain it.. SO use somebody like 9S with him and enjoy some powerful water chains. Or moonblade + DKC?

And don't forget, he still has his 125% killers! When he procs them.... mhh. Basically a better Firion.

Comparisons:
    Sadly, I don't have a lot of maths for comparing Randi to anyone with his DH build. The maths provided were all about his DW Build, which deals a chunk higher damage but he overall looks way more appealing with the DH build due to his massive bulkyness. So if anyone has a thread with the maths, send them to me. I will gladly add useful comparisons, for now, I don't know how to value DH Randi.
    Once we get Cloud's and Elfried's TMR, he will gain a huge boost!
    The DW build however has the potential to outdamage Firion easily and Luneth when he procs his killers.

Recommendation:
    If you happen to have Randi and you want to use, prepare for massive investments. Because you want to enhance everything (maybe except for Slice Thrice).

Mana's Bond: He gains a ribbon and a 5% MP refresh, while using up mediocre costs and 500,000 Gil, which is both manageable and has a fair trade for it. It's not the highest priority enhancements but a free ribbon is definitely always nice. I recommend enhancing it, since Guard mats are barely used at the moment.

Hero of Legend: This is one of the essential enhancements if you happen to use Randi. While it's super expensive with Support mats, 8x T4 and 2x T5 and 2,000,000 Gil. It sure has its impact that it's supposed to have. A gain of 35% ATK, 15% DEF/SPR and 100% ATK DH + 50% DEF/SPR DH. Why is it essential for both builds?
    Higher ATK and the DH is massive. I recommend enhancing it, but it's really expensive with the use of a common enhancement material.

Power Charge: Same costs as Mana's Bond but with Tech crystals, which see an increase in usage for enhancements. But it's still fairly cheap and has a massive impact on him because of the gain of Whirlwind Slash and Torrential Slash. I highly recommend enhancing it, manageable price for two really strong abilities and a good self-buff.

Auto-Charge: Again the same cost as Mana's Bond or Power Charge but sadly Support crystals again. And you really want that as well because of the 30% ATK, so I still highly recommend enhancing it if you want to use Randi, but ugh.... so much mats.

Slice Thrice: This isn't really important in any way for Randi, it's only useful for those who want to DEF break with him in cases like Raids or anything. While it has the same costs like Mana's Bond, Power Charge and Auto-Charge, it uses Power mats this time, which makes it even less appealing to enhance.
    I don't recommend enhancing it, but if you want a DEF breaker, sure. Go for it.

Overall, he has super expensive enhancements, because you surely want to enhance him fully (except for Slice Thrice) to effectively use Randi. I will just sum up how much it costs, not necessarily the different materials.

3,500,000 Gil
    164x T1
    98x T2
    64x T3
    21x T4
    5x T5

Conclusion:
    Randi
    is an awesome unit. While he has a lot of power by himself, he can make a lot of wind composition viable because of his build options and his abilities.
    He himself can run a DW Build with Kaiser Knuckles and either chain or finish, or you can use him as a dedicated DH Finisher with Mana Blade and make chainers like A2 or 2B easy to access Wind elemental chainers.
    While A2 would DPS every turn, 2B can always set up her rotation easily without leaving Randi useless. Because 2B and Randi both need a turn to buff, so they work perfectly for skipping threshholds etc.
    Randi + 2B is an awesome combination.
    But you could also run 2x DH Randi and Fixed Dice Fire Veritas. Because Fire Veritas can infuse wind elemental to him as well, while you could also do weird stuff with Brotherhood.
    Randi has a lot of options and I highly recommend checking him out! Sadly he's limited.

TL;DR
    Gud unit ::rudecat13::

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Master Red, JMR, Irish and 15 others like this.
  2. Koubo

Koubo Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Chritine|A2|GLS|Barbie
    Nice review :)
    don't have Randi. His sword is the best i could have right now for K.Delita as non elemental hit atk sword. Look great and i like the idear behind the DH build. Would be glad to give him a try. ^^

3. Memnarchon

Memnarchon Ascended Member Supporter

His Mana Sword will one day become more powerful than any magic!
    :P

Redtide likes this.
  4. Reizen

Reizen The Hunter VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Events units
    Thank you meme! I was waiting for this!
    My Randi will be OP :D

Redtide likes this.
  5. Double

Double VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Not Paladin Cecil
    here's how he looks Chaining DW. Now I need to test with a Dragon / beast to see his killers passives at work. I love Randi, for long fights he's really great. Beat Malboro with him. Never Died :D

Fenix808 and ZzephyrR like this.
  6. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Oh nice, didn't know if he was moving or not. Thanks!

7. FFBENoctis

FFBENoctis Ascended Member Supporter

I really wonder why his Whirlwind Slash has become 3 hit attack (unlike JP which is 1 hit). So if this is an intended change by Gumi, Randi already loses his great finishing move.

8. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Struggler VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2 Olive OK Tidus
    Nice DH unit, but limited and unavailable, so meh :rolleyes:

randi.jpg

9. project 86

project 86 VIP VIP

wiki says its 1 hit tho lol
    https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Randi

10. TLA

TLA ActivelyDepressedParrot VIP

Leads:
    Whatever your heart desires bb
  11. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    D-Hit is always the regular attack animation and hit count. So 3 in this case

12. ZzephyrR

ZzephyrR Ascended Member

Global ID:
    I'm so happy about this, I have really basic TMRs and was still able to get him to 930ish ATK (DW) using Excalibur and enhancer (Yh I know.. only sword I had tho)

Fenix808, Redtide and Double like this.
  13. Steelwind

Steelwind "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2, Orlandeau
    Great review and I'm thinking about taking him into Marlboro trial with that innate Ribbon using 9S TM.

14. Double

Double VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Not Paladin Cecil
    Do it! He's a Tank with 1K atk
    VIsual 2017-08-21 at 10.59.14 AM.jpg

15. Steelwind

Steelwind "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2, Orlandeau
    That's almost the same setup I was theory crafting. Randi, Luneth both with 9S TM. Setzer Double Dice. Ling. Rikku and Rikku friend. I was going to use Ling as MP battery, fire imperil with lb and entrusting the Rikkus.

I may replace Luneth with A2 since she can self MP regen.

16. Double

Double VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Not Paladin Cecil
    Ling had lots of work to do. Debuff, Entrust, Revive all (died a lot), Dispel and mirage when everything was covered. Randi did power charge when I had to chip the hp of each plant to kill the 3 at the same time. (learned the hard way the little plants revive the big plant)

17. Parade

Parade I'm So Proud of You, Children VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    Just as a little aside... if the timing/pacing of your battle is off and you want to finish without using Power Charge (to time a threshold, or something like that), Slice Thrice IS a 4x modifier... so it's a decent sub-in finisher.

It could also be useful as a finisher move if you don't want to be Wind element, but his 10-hit non-elemental 700% move disrupts your chaining (not too likely).

These are small points, just little things that encouraged me to Enhance Slice Thrice :)

Other than that, great job again, Memey!

18. Parade

Parade I'm So Proud of You, Children VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    Oh, and... OMG, you mentioned my 2x 2B and Randi strat <3 I didn't think you liked it enough to actually ppt it in your review! I'm flattered! ::rudecat13::

19. Arcanod

Arcanod Ascended Member

Leads:
    Luneth, Randi, Soleil, Roselia
    In my opinion, it's a good thing that Randi is a limited unit. It's one of the few little enjoyments the game has to offer: to possess a character that other players – even whales – could only dream about, and use all the resources gathered to max him out (yeah, even the limit burst!). :)

By the way, thank you Memel0rd for all your in depth reviews!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Fenix808 and Barroth like this.
  20. mthrfckr

mthrfckr Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning
    Yah I'm surprised gumi didn't try to make money on this and put a banner up again

Fenix808 and Redtide like this.