1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Fayt (Star Ocean 3)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd MHWl0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Nalu | JP: Randi
    A young man from a distant world who appears in one of many tales about the ocean of stars. Fayt was born on Earth, and his seminal endeavors took place around S.D. 770. His parents are famous authorities on symbological genetics, and he studies the same field at Bachtein Science University. Although he can be a bit serious and stubborn at times, he is otherwise a regular university student with a knack for helping people in a bind. He likes to play video games such as "Battle Simulator" as his hobby, which has helped him learn how to wield a sword.
    He's underwhelming and I already want to finish the review.

Fayt Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate resistances | No innate weaknesses
    Trust Master Reward: Farwell (Sword) - 135 ATK, Light

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3781 (+450) Mag: 125 (+30)
    MP: 142 (+75) Def: 148 (+30)
    Atk: 159 (+30) Spr: 120 (+30)

6* Limit Burst:
    Ethereal Blast of Time (Base / 26 LB-Crysts): 12-Hit Physical damage (4.6x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies
    Decrease resistance to all elements (60%) for 3 turns to all enemies

Ethereal Blast of Time (Max / 26 LB-Crysts): 12-Hit Physical damage (5.8x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies
    Decrease resistance to all elements (60%) for 3 turns to all enemies

5*: Lvl 1 Blade of Fury (30 MP / 5-Hit) - Physical damage (4x) with consecutive increase (24 times, 0.5x each, 16x max) to one enemy

5*: Lvl 12 Blazing Sword (30 MP) - Add fire element to physical attacks for 12 turns to caster
    Increase LB gauge (10-14) to caster

5*: Lvl 38 Icicle Blade (30 MP) - Add ice element to physical attacks for 12 turns to caster

5*: Lvl 64 Side Kick (24 MP / 3-Hit) - Physical damage (2.4x) to one enemy
    Recover MP (24) to caster

5*: Lvl 80 Abyssal Gate (54 MP / 3-Hit / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (2.4x) to all enemies
    Physical damage (1.6x) to one enemy

6*: Lvl 24 Lightning Blade (30 MP) - Add lightning element to physical attacks for 12 turns to caster

6*: Lvl 46 Divine Blade (30 MP) - Add light element to physical attacks for 12 turns to caster

6*: Lvl 100 Air Raid (45 MP / 9-Hit) - Physical damage (3.5x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    5*: Lvl 1 Stubbrn to a Fault - Increase ATK/DEF (60%) when HP drops below 60%
    Increase ATK/DEF (120%) when HP drops below 30%

6*: Lvl 1 Condition Cure - Increase resistance to poison, blind, sleep, silence, paralyze, and confuse (100%)
    Use Condition Cure (Increase resistance to stop (100%) to caster) at the start of a battle

6*: Lvl 55 Convert Damage - Chance to counter physical attacks (25%) with Recover MP (15) to caster

6*: Lvl 73 Star Athlete - Increase ATK/DEF (30%) and HP (20%)

6*: Lvl 88 Self-Taugh Swordsmanship - Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a sword

Pros:
    His animations look really dope. Time to move on to the cons.

Jokes aside, Fayt does have some pros. For instance his base stats, very high HP and ATK while also having a surprisingly high base DEF with almost 180. Warrior of Light is jealous. Outside of that, Fayt does get a 30% ATK/DEF and 20% HP boost while also having a 50% boost with swords, total 80%. When Fayt's HP drops below 30%, he'll gain a permanent 120% ATK/DEF buff until he dies or gets dispelled.
    Regarding his status ailments, Fayt does very well. He is innately resistant against poison, blind, sleep, silence, paralyze, confusion AND stop, which is an almost innate ribbon only leaving petrification and virus to be covered.

If Fayt does get hit by physical attacks, he has a 25% chance to recover 15 MP with a counter. When using dualwield with him, you can also recover another 24 MP through Side Kick, a weak attack that costs 24 MP and recovers 24. With TDH you won't gain anything out of using it.

When it comes down to adjusting Fayt to different fights, he has 4 different Blade abilities that either imbue fire, ice, lightning or holy onto his physical attacks for a whopping 12 turns while also filling his LB by 10~14. This can both be handy for trials with different bosses, for TDH or for players that don't have strong elemental weapons.

... already reaching the end, Fayt has three major ways to deal damage.

Blade of Fury is one of them. Emperor must have left a mark on Fayt since this ability starts off as a 5-Hit ST 400% mod and goes up to a 1600% max. With... 50% modifier each time. You'll have to use it 24 times until you get its maximum modifier.

His second "chaining" ability is Air Raid, a 700% 9-Hit move. Depending on the enemy's position this can chain up to 33 with Dualwield. Fidel also has the same ability, making him a chaining partner for Fayt. Though more to that later.

Lastly something actual good: His Limit Burst. When maxed its a strong 1160% modifier with 12 hits and dealing AoE damage, while also imperilling every element by 60% for 3 turns. It does cost 26 LB crysts, but luckily his imbues do grant you a lot of LB crysts. With true doublehand this can deal a hefty amount of damage and a lot of burst damage, too.
    Fidel also has a very similar LB, slightly lower damage while obviously having less of Fayt's kit, but that does mean Fayt can successfully LB chain in 10 man trials, too.

Cons:
    Fayt
    has cons that make him an inconsistent unit.

Fayt is very straightforward. He only has damaging abilities alongside his imbues while clearly identifying himself as a chainer, so how well is he doing his job?

Blade of Fury can not perfectly chain. Its cast animation with Dualwield doesn't allow it to build up any sort of chain while its frames are too bad for TDH chaining. Its hit count of 5 also makes it so it can't hit the max chain modifier with its awful frames. You can try to use it as a finisher, but that'll not be possible with DW and for TDH it's still an ability that needs 24 whole turns to get to its maximum potential, making it very bad.

While Air Raid does work with Dualwield somewhat decently, it solely depends on the enemy's position and your party positioning. This means that against some enemies, you will never ever get a solid Dualwield chain out of it due to its obnoxious frames. Its frame window to land a chain is very small and it is also a moving type ability. For AoE damage that's not a problem, for ST damage it is.
    With True Doublehand it can't build a proper chain at all, making the TDH build reliant on his Limit Burst.
    For Dualwield chaining you also do not have any imperils

Fayt's Limit Burst is negatively affected by his other abilites. With no good chaining moves to use, he will have a hard time building up crysts in the meantime while his offturn damage will be horrible to non-existent since you might even prefer using his imbue over and over for the LB crysts.

Side-Notes:
    Same with Rena, we do not know anything about Fayt's future, making him a risky investment.

Best in Slot:
    One dualwield build, one TDH build. For the sake of it. No limited TMRs.
    Revolving Saw (130 ATK, 2h)
    Prishe's Hairpin (45 ATK)
    Training Clothes (20 ATK)
    Marshal Glove (40 ATK, 50% TDH, 2 Auto LB)
    Marshal Glove (40 ATK, 50% TDH, 2 Auto LB)
    Large Sword Mastery (50% ATK)
    Proud Fencer (40% ATK)
    ADV 5 (40% ATK)
    Buster Style (100% TDH)

Stats with Bahamut:
    6410 HP
    345 MP
    1380 ATK
    398 DEF
    270 SPR
    Farwell / Onion Sword / Brotherhood (135 ATK)
    Masamune (150 ATK)
    Prishe's Hairpin (45 ATK)
    Cloud's Uniform (15 ATK)
    Desch's Earring (45 ATK)
    Ring of the Lucii (30% ATK)
    Awesome Swordsman (30% ATK, DW)
    Hero's Vow - Dark (60% ATK)
    Chosen One (50% ATK)
    Katana Mastery (50% ATK)

Stats with Bahamut:
    6487 HP
    301 MP
    1210 ATK
    325 DEF
    228 SPR

Arena:
    Fayt
    can work, but he isn't really great. He does have a lot of status ailment resistances and stop resistance, making him one of the few damage dealers that actually have innate stop resistance. Maybe for the ones with Pod 153 and TDH he can work very well, but without Pod he can't build up a chain, though you might just fit him into a e.g. Tornado chain?

Fayt [​IMG] Damage Output

Will look at his damage for Dualwield with external setup and with TDH as a burst chainer. Otherwise he won't really function as a chainer.

Assuming 100% ATK buff
    ATK post buff: 1249 LH | 1264 RH
    Not assuming spark chains
    Assuming the best possible chains for Air Raid
    Assuming 50% XY imperil

Average Chain Modifier: 2.76

Turn X: ( 1249^2 x 7 x 2.76 + 1264^2 x 7 x 4 ) x 1.5 = 112,312,060 (Air Raid)
    Now, that does deal a good amount of damage, but this is likely not the real outcome you will get. Likely you aren't getting a perfect chain while I am also assuming that you have external setup. Without external setup, you need to use his Limit Burst, which is a damage drop while you also won't have any imperils before that. So while this damage output might be higher than Sephiroth, Orlandeau etc. by a fair amount, it's very idealistic. More than what I ever featured.

Assuming 100% ATK buff
    ATK post buff: 1569
    Assuming spark chains

Average Chain Modifier: 3.53

First Limit Burst
    Turn 1: 0 (Imbue)
    Turn 2: 0 (Imbue)
    Turn 3: 1569^2 x 1.3 x 11.6 x 3.53 x 1.3 = 170,359,080

Second Limit Burst
    Turn X: 1569^2 x 1.3 x 11.6 x 3.53 x 1.6 = 209,672,714
    This method is a safe bet and it's reliable at chaining. Its burst damage is decent, he can setup pretty much any finisher that way and can use 4 different elements effectively. However, its burst damage is below many others and it takes some time while you don't deal any damage on off turns this way. Still an effective way for AoE burst chaining.

Trust Master Reward:
    A 135 ATK light sword, not large sword. Since it's a raid TMR you are going to get it anyway, but it can be used quite well if you don't have Excalibur / Excalibur 2, this is a very good choice for Holy chaining, most notably for units like Sephiroth or Orlandeau. Ray Jack with a dualwield build can make use of this, too.

Conclusion:
    Fayt is a mess of a chainer
    If you do have access to dupes of him and external setup AND if you can get a 33-hit chain out of him he can deal solid damage, even more than Sephiroth, Raegen, Orlandeau and all the other common dualwield chainers. So if he is your only decent option, try to work with him. He CAN work out, it's just messy and inconsistent, which is not what you want out of a chainer.
    His TDH burst damage is actually good. For AoE OTKO strategies you might actually find a way to utilise Fayt. The best thing about both methods are: you will have a chaining partner with Fidel. He might not be the strongest, but at least you will have someone to chain with.
    Metawise Fayt does deal good damage, but his inconsistency at dualwield chaining is a huge con.
    Maybe Fayt becomes great as a 7*, maybe he becomes worse. We don't know. There is hope and he certainly is not unusable. If you find a way to make him consistent on your device, he is worth a shot. I don't want to repeat myself.
    Fayt is a mess, but not a troll.

[​IMG]

Character Design: 6/10
    Sprite: 9.5/10
    Chainer: 7.5/10
    Trust Master Reward: Free/10
    Arena: 6/10
    Limit Burst: 9/10
    Future Proof: ????/10
    Free 2 Play: 8.5/10
    Pay 2 Play: 7/10
    Personal Rating: 8/10
    Optimal Rating: 7/10

[On-Banner Reviews]
    [​IMG] Rena (5*)

I actually got a random Fayt while going for more Fidels and Roddicks (want to prepare for the TMR mixer feature in the future). If I get a second one, I'll have high hopes for a good 7*. Otherwise, Fayt will go into the TMR mixer as well.

Wanna support me?
    I put a lot of effort into it!
    Everything helps
    My Patreon

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  2. Xon

Xon Ascended Member

meh ang

..really though. I wonder where is the best place to get petrify resist for him.

3. Ferax

Ferax Be excellent to each other & party on dudes! VIP Supporter

Thanks for the review. As I still don’t have a single Ayaka or LM Fina, I tried on this banner for Rena. Of course I pulled Fayt. It’s AD Kain all over again. Why do Gumi continue to release chainers who don’t chain properly? He may chain sometimes, but I still feel like I got trolled. I’ll be taking DR chainers every time over this guy for actual consistency in chaining.

Xander, Tamamo05, YannC and 1 other person like this.
  4. Fahri99

Fahri99 Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    ???
    ???
    Thanks for the review!
    Oh man, Fayt looks very interesting....

5. Ashlag

Ashlag Use Diabolos for KM, not Ifrit. Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    eTidus DW, eFry, or other cool stuff
    Oh, Air raid is not as bad as I thought (I though DW would break at some point, but damn there are 4-3-3 parts so it's hard as hell to do anyway). Well, it's mostly hard as hell to cast and to make use of properly so it doesn't change much. He ain't as bad as I originally thought, though, but I doubt anyone will be able to find friend Fayt to make full use of that. With proper frames, that ability alone would have made him more than solid, a beast chainer.

Ferax, Xander and YannC like this.
  6. Dotyekill

Dotyekill Well-Known Member

Riders helm and he has a ribbon plus stop resist:D
    Aniway good review as always meme::up::
    I pulled one fayt and one rena just because i played SO 2 and 3 and i liked them.
    But i don't think i will actually use those two...
    Maybe rena sometimes

Donpru likes this.
  7. Caliber

Caliber "Hall of Fame" Member

Meh ang again

Don’t invest in unknown futures

nox likes this.
  8. Lyrgard

Lyrgard Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Alas, contrary to what the wiki was saying, Blade of Fury is ST, not AOE, ruining the last hope of utility I had for him...

9. Memel0rd

Memel0rd MHWl0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Already saw your reply on reddit and fixed it :).

10. Xon

Xon Ascended Member

He cant equip helms. I had the same idea. :(

Dotyekill likes this.
  11. Lyrgard

Lyrgard Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Haha, sorry to bother you there and here. I didn't know which one you were looking at the more frequently, and wanted to tell it to you the quickest possible, so that less people could be mislead.

Thanks a lot for your reviews ! I was unlucky enough to get 3 Fayt and 0 Rena. I was hoping you could see something in him I didn't saw, but ... well... I need to hope for a good 7* now...

12. Raelf

Raelf Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Enhanced Trance Terra, Enhanced Tidus
    Lol here's to Rena

13. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I did, his LB chaining lol.

I think that's the best you can get out of him currently.

14. Talien

Talien Element resistl0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    120/140 all resist Basch
    He's a garbage lead in his own game, so it only makes sense that he'd be a garbage unit here.

15. dona

dona Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Damn, I got 3 of him while chasing Rena...
    Now, great review meme, as always!

16. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/eOlive
    Thanks for the review. Got one of him already. I kinda like his 12x AoE slowpoke move. Granted, it can't chain or cap a chain with it. It still sounds interesting as a solo dmg dealer choice to me. His LB is also kinda interesting for AoE phy chaining.

Tamamo05 and YannC like this.
  17. YannC

YannC VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Something weird
    Hey random here - sent you a friend request

aa25 likes this.
  18. YannC

YannC VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Something weird
    But he's better than Kain! I got a Kain. Feels bad. But could be worse.

Ferax likes this.
  19. Dotyekill

Dotyekill Well-Known Member

Nuuuuuuuuuu:eek:

Xon likes this.
  20. xTeKt0n1c

xTeKt0n1c Chips ‘n’ Gravy VIP Supporter

Leads:
    N/A
    N/A
    Here’s my personal review -

Gumi FAYT’D this unit outta their arse!