1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Gladiolus (Final Fantasy XV)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Warrior of Light Bartz
    A young man spoken of in stories from the faraway land of Eos. Gladiolus is the eldest son of the Amicitia family charged with the protection of the kings of Lucis and their household, and was thus admitted into the Crownsguard. There he was trained in combat since childhood to fulfill the duties of his prestigious house, and was eventually tasked with teaching a young Prince Noctis to master the sword. Although his first impressions of the prince were not the best, he has known Noctis for more than 10 years now, and considers him an irreplaceable friend.
    Big Guy, Big Sword, Big Muscles, Bad Unit? Many people wonder how good Gladio is, I will answer the question for you!

Gladiolus Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistance
    Trust Master Reward: Ziedrich (Heavy Shield) - DEF+70, SPR+35, HP +15%

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3845 (+510) Mag: 103 (+26)
    MP: 150 (+65) Def: 120 (+26)
    Atk: 151 (+26) Spr: 132 (+26)

6* Limit Burst:
    Impulse (Base / 20 LB-Crysts): Physical damage (4x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies
    Increase chance of being targeted (100%) for 3 turns to caster
    Impulse (Max / 20 LB-Crysts): Physical damage (5.2x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies
    Increase chance of being targeted (100%) for 3 turns to caster

5*: Lvl 1 Tempest (36 MP / 2-Hit) - Physical damage (1.8x) to all enemies
    Inflict confuse (50%) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 30 Dawnhammer (36 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (2x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy

5*: Lvl 48 Antagonize (36 MP / 1-Hit) - Chance to counter physical attacks with physical damage (1.5x) for 5 turns to all allies except caster

6*: Lvl 55 Riled (28 MP) - Increase ATK/DEF (100%) for 2 turns to one ally

6*: Lvl 63 Cyclone (32 MP / 5-Hit) - Physical damage (2.5x) to all enemie

6*: Lvl 84 Intercept (25 MP) - Chance to protect all allies from physical damage (50%) with damage mitigation (50% physical, 50% magic) for 3 turns to caster

6*: Lvl 100 Royal Guard (25 MP) - Chance to protect one ally from all damage (100%) with damage mitigation (50% physical, 50% magic) for 2 turns to caster
    Increase DEF/SPR (100%) for 2 turns to caster
    5*: Lvl 8 Survival - Recover 5 HP (5) and MP (5) every 3 steps
    5*: Lvl 67 - HP + 10%
    5*: Lvl 80 Auto-Regen - Auto-heal (120 HP, 0.6x) per turn
    6*: Lvl 1 Reflex - Chance to counter physical attacks (20%) with normal attack
    Chance to counter magic attacks (20%) with normal attack
    6*: Lvl 16 Auto-Refresh - Recover MP (5%) per turn
    6*: Lvl 22 King's Shield - Increase DEF/SPR/HP (30%) when equipped with a light shield
    Increase DEF/SPR/HP (30%) when equipped with a heavy shield
    6*: Lvl 31 - SPR + 20%
    6*: Lvl 40 Large Sword Mastery - Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a great sword
    6*: Lvl 55 - DEF + 30%

Pros:
    Gladiolus
    (from now on Gladio) has, for a tank, very high HP, good ATK and decent SPR. His base DEF is ok-ish, will talk about that one later on. Besides that, he also has 40% HP, 60% DEF and 50% SPR and 50% ATK, which grants him great overall stats. His HP should be really high at that point, while also having good ATK/DEF/SPR, synergyzes well with his kit! Gladio also has a 5% MP refresh to counteract any MP consumption.

His Reflex trait will come in handy later on, for now it's a 20% counter chance against physical and magic attacks with normal attacks, which will benefit greatly from his previous high ATK + ATK passives.

Gladio gets his best DPS move very early, Dawnhammer is a 400% one hit finisher move. This isn't particularly useful in the current meta as a finisher, but for beginners Gladio is a great source of easy damage which hits pretty hard. For beginners generally he will be a massive unit because you can focus on ATK and still be the tank to go! For the current meta this move is not too exciting.

His Limit Burst however deals a lot of damage. On the max level it has a 1040% 1-Hit modifier to all enemies, this can be a pretty effective finisher move for basically free. I'd say 99% of the players use chainers for most fights, so if you use Gladio as a tank, this is basically a lot of potential free damage. That being said, it also grants him a 3 turn 100% provoke, which synergyzes well with his counters.

Antagonize is a very interesting buff Gladio can apply to everyone but him. It grants all allies a 50% physical counter chance to counter with 150% mods. If you use this and many allies are getting hit from either AoE attacks or a lot of ST attacks, they will counter sooo much, which generates many LB crysts and esper drops while also delivering a lot of free damage. And it also lasts 5 turns, so a very long time!

Riled is more of a outdated buff, but sometimes it can still come in handy. It's a ST 100% ATK/DEF 2 turn buff, so whenever you want your DPS to deal way more damage but don't have a buffer right now available, this will do good for you. But generally you will use something else.

Gladio didn't show much of his tank role yet, but now he will. The cool thing about Gladio is, that he can be every kind of tank, except for magic tank. His Limit Burst makes him a provoke tank and the two following abilities.... just see for yourself.

He can also be a physical AoE Tank with Intercept. He has a 50% chance cover for each ally to tank all physical damage with the regular 50% hidden damage mitigation. Gladio's Intercept is just like Warrior of Light's ability.

But Gladio has the unique ability with Royal Guard to cover ONE chosen ally for 100% from ALL damage (besides Pirate Jake it seems). This ability has not been on anyone in the GL version yet and it can be a fantastic way if your provoke tank can't take the hit himself. So Gladio could just protect your tank. Or you could use his Limit Burst to get 100% provoke and then use this on one ally to protect this one ally from AoE damage of all kind as well. I can see many different uses for Royal Guard. Gladly it also buffs his DEF/SPR by 100%, which makes it far easier for him to survive! Quite unique to say at least.

Cons:
    People call Gladio a bad tank, so we finally come to the part where we see what makes his kit pretty lackluster compared to others.

First off, Gladio has disappointing base DEF for a 5* base tank. I mean, 146 with full pots? Wilhelm has more WITHOUT any pots. This is a pretty big drop for Gladio because % DEF is scaling with your base DEF, which means you will lose a lot of DEF compared to other tanks.

Gladio doesn't have too many cons. Because his kit is lacking abilities that could be really bad, which is his big con.
    Outside of mediocre damage and decent tank capabilities, Gladio is lacking everything. He does not have any supportive moves what so ever and his tankyness is not outstanding either. And as damage dealer he is pretty outdated already, so he is this weird Damage Dealer/Tank hybrid. Demon Rain did that role really well, Gladio doesn't at the same excellency at all.

Besides that, Gladio has awful MP, no MP passives and thus will run out of MP pretty fast. Not the biggest con since many run MP batteries nowadays.

However, something that makes Gladio drop a lot, is his Limit Burst. It's great as it is, but it needs 20 LB Crysts. Not the highest cost, but if it was 16 crysts and he had hightide passives, it'd be an awesome LB as you could keep spamming it, deal good damage and still be the provoke tank. But it isn't.

And I'd love that Gladio had higher counter rates + way more attack. I feel like his counters are decent, but no where near on the level Demon Rain was. I will talk about this in the comparisons further.

He also does not have any status ailment protection, which isn't the worst since you can get status ailment protection easily as a tank.

Side-Notes:
    Gladio did not receive any enhancements in JP yet nor a 7* version, so about that, I can't tell you much.
    Only thing I can tell you safely is that Gladio never saw much spotlight in the JP version. Almost nobody ever used him because other options almost always were better, so he doesn't seem really future proof.

Arena:
    Gladio
    mostly is rather lackluster in Arena, but for fun teams he could ramp up everybody's counter chance and.... let the enemy die from counters? Yah, doesn't look too great. He is just a plain tank with some AoE confusion, which isn't necessarily the best status ailment for arena. So I'd pass on him here.

Gladiolus [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Enhanced Demon Rain
    • Gladiolus has way higher base stats and way better defensive passives
    • Demon Rain has way higher ATK due to his 150% True Doublehand
    • Demon Rain has a 100% counter chance with a 300% modifier
    • Gladiolus can be a Provoke Tank with his LB
    • Gladiolus can cover an ally from all damage
    • Gladiolus can cover everybody from physical damage
    • Demon Rain has an instant 100% provoke with a whopping 50% damage mitigation
    • Both don't have any real supportive aspects
    • Both don't have status ailment protection
    e.Demon Rain and Gladiolus are both tanks that try to be a damage dealing unit at the same time. However, there is a difference. e.Demon Rain actually does this job amazingly well.
    e.Demon Rain can tank way more than one thinks at first sight because of his 50% mitigation from the provoke, which is just stupidly high. While he also has a 100% counter chance, 150% True Doublehand AND his counters have a 300% modifier. They hurt a lot and sometimes he can even deal similar damage like two chainers could in ideal fights.
    Gladiolus however can be more than just a provoke tank innately and offers a lot more bulk, however his damage output just seems disappointing compared to e.Demon Rain.
    Demon Rain wins!

Gladiolus [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Enhanced Wilhelm
    • Wilhelm has a moustache!
    • Wilhelm has far better tanky base stats and passives
    • Gladiolus has way higher ATK than Wilhelm
    • Wilhelm's counter rates are way higher
    • Wilhelm has a 100% provoke with 40% damage mitigation
    • Wilhelm has great supportive aspects
    • Wilhelm's Limit Burst grants an AoE 1 Turn 54% damage mitigation
    • Gladiolus can ST cover any ally from all damage
    • Gladiolus can AOE cover allies from physical damage
    • Wilhelm can spam his LB, Gladiolus can't
    • Gladiolus' provoke is locked behind his LB
    • Wilhelm has some status ailment protection
    Is this color comparison theme Spider Man today? Huh...
    Besides the inability to compare AoE tank capabilities to Provoke Tanks, I will try my best to deliver my point.
    While Gladiolus is trying to deal good damage while tanking properly, his numbers are too low for that. Compared to Wilhelm, Gladio's stats look like a super squishy. Wilhelm can reach absurd numbers regarding the tankyness.
    And if you are using Gladio to collect LB Crysts with his counters, Wilhelm does that a lot better as well with his 60% counter chance!
    Outside of counters and tanking, Gladio doesn't offer anything. On the other hand, Wilhelm provides a lot. He can grant your team way easier access to Limit Bursts with his 100% AoE LB fillrate buff, he can make you survive almost everything with his spammable Limit Burst and still has an AoE 5 turn 70% DEF/SPR buff, which can help out a lot.
    I'd say Wilhelm wins.

Gladiolus [​IMG] VS [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 3*/4* AoE Tanks
    • Gladiolus has higher base stats or passives
    • Gladiolus' counters deal more damage than Earth Veritas
    • Earth Veritas has way higher counter chance
    • Charlotte has the best AoE Cover
    • Warrior of Light has a 100% provoke and an AoE Cover
    • Earth Veritas has great buffs
    • Charlotte has great MP battery capabilities
    • Warrior of Light has strong AoE breaks
    • Gladiolus has nothing but damage
    Generally I'd say all these three tanks win.
    Each of them has something unique about them, which makes them currently a great asset depending on your team composition. Like, Charlotte can help you out if you don't have a MP battery, which is a pretty cool thing to do as a tank. Or Warrior of Light can provide AoE breaks, which will make a lot of content way easier.
    While Gladiolus doesn't bring anything to the table but his very unique ST Cover.
    Gladiolus loses.

Trust Master Reward:
    This TMR is basically the shield version of Knight Delita's Grand Armor. And it's really good. 70 DEF already is really high, but 35 SPR to it and 15% HP? This is a lot better than Wilhelm's TMR, but it's not worth it IN CASE you have Wilhelm's TMR already.
    If you don't, farm this for sure! It's great and also has a neat chance of granting you a 100% ATK buff, so maybe a counter tank would appreciate it.

Conclusion:
    Gladiolus
    sadly really isn't the best.
    Outside of his really unique ST Cover all damage, he is just outperformed by almost every other meta tank. All of them have more specific tools that are actually useful, while Gladio is trying to be a good counter tank, which he is not. Enhanced Demon Rain set the expectations really high because... he is just disgusting.
    And not having any supportive aspects while being a mediocre counter tank is just finishing Gladio off, because he will often remain completely useless in many fights.
    So unless you find a dope strategy in your team to use his ST Cover for, he will most likely be benched. Sadly.

Character Design: 7/10
    Sprite: 8/10
    Finisher: 6.5-7/10
    Tank: 8.5/10
    Trust Master Reward: 9.5/10
    Arena: 2/10
    Limit Burst: 7/10
    Free 2 Play: 8.5/10
    Pay 2 Play: 7.5/10
    Personal Rating: 8/10
    Optimal Rating: 7.5-8/10

In all honesty, I'm really sad they didn't buff him on the global side. It should have been quite obvious that his JP kit isn't really the best and he was basically never used on the JP side. I really wonder why they didn't buff him, would have been the perfect opportunity to sell their 3x rate up on 5* pulls.

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  2. theJanne

theJanne Retired GIF Maker VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Something / JP: CG Sieghart
    141/14
    I'm kinda bummed right now, I hoped that he would be better.
    Might level him up for fun or just leave on the bench with Cecil

Memel0rd likes this.
  3. Galadraw

Galadraw Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Got 2 of them, couldn't wait for your review. Now to see how fucked am I.

Bahamut brave, Moses and Memel0rd like this.
  4. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Maybe you can loop his cover to eternity so that both gladios want to cover the other one and softlocke the game?....
    I'd try out if you find a proper use for his st cover and even then he has a sick tmr

Xander likes this.
  5. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Never forget Cecil ;(

Nadako and Galadraw like this.
  6. Ömömöpöp

Ömömöpöp Ascended Member

Leads:
    Orlando, event units
    Because he is some useless unimpressive FFXV background decoration ? ^^
    Surprised the Arianna banner (where is your singing midget rant ? ^^ ) lasted only 1 week and ended with the 3% upgrade, esp. with the shard shenanigan.....

Well strange hybrid units (the usual Rain Tank&DPS or Fina healer&DPS) have yet to serve any real purpose no matter which unit you look at. E.Demon Rains only saving grace is that his counters actually do some pretty heavy damage, but his tankiness is still limited. Also not really sure what kind of buffs they shoulda given him, I mean a unit with the tankiness of Wilhelm + the dmg of e.DKCecil and/or the support of Rikku or something along that line sounds somewhat broken. And anything below that you are still at "XX is better at tanking, YY is better at dmg, ZZ is better at ???".

7. theJanne

theJanne Retired GIF Maker VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Something / JP: CG Sieghart
    141/14
    Never. He was my main tank until I was
    little bit over rank 70, when I got WoL

8. Galadraw

Galadraw Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Well that would be nice if 2 of them could do that :D

9. Nemeko

Nemeko Ascended Member

Leads:
    7 star Esther
    Gladio would be a good counter tank, but gumi just has to give us a better unit, can't believe them.

Memel0rd likes this.
  10. Ashlag

Ashlag Big choices were made, & now I'll do my best Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Great shit, I swear
    He was everyone main tank till WoL 6*. Except some weirdos using WoL 5* instead, I never got why especially considering the limits of fullbreak ::ink::

Mattaisx, Memel0rd and theJanne like this.
  11. Koubo

Koubo Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Chritine|A2|GLS|Barbie
    Everyone cannot be awesome x)

Thanks Meme, i'll pass this banner. (did you lose some skill seller? ;p)
    I did 1 daily yesterday for a (hopefully) a bonus unit and pulled Cor. i'm fine.
    But i'll take that shield for EV anyday !!! Still using Genji's shield 90% of the time :>

12. Reiho

Reiho Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2
    What's with the phenomenon of every 5* base from FFXV being kind of mediocre? Except Noctis for Arena purposes of course.

13. Warcraff

Warcraff Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    392 788 726
    Leads:
    Barb, GrimLord, Nyx,
    Doesn't Xon have a 100% provoke move and can reach full evasion? Could there be a team build where Gladio AOE covers and single covers Xon? I might be off my meds though.

14. Ashlag

Ashlag Big choices were made, & now I'll do my best Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Great shit, I swear
    Nyx is good. FD + 800x mod and great frames.... How is that bad ? He is a Noctis with a more offensive focus.

15. Reiho

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2
    Excuse me, but what is FD?
    And mh. My problem with him is his equipment selection, not the skillset.

16. Ashlag

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Great shit, I swear
    Fixed Dice. Even without TDH, that should come with Cloud/Elfried, he is still a very, very potent finisher with this. And easy to fit anywhere, self imbue fire, free DW if you want him to but has to use dagger which ain't that great I admit. His only problem is the lack of good fire dagger, especially since you can give him Aigaion arm. But if you use a Fixed Dice build, he can do a great job :)

17. LinzoReborn

LinzoReborn Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau
    Hey,what cha know?

Another summon I'm skipping

Yay

18. Reiho

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2
    I give you that,he does a lot of damage with that,but considering his low MP pool and even with MP batteries he's rather hard to sustain Imo. Nyx would be much better if he could innately equip Katanas though,so I'd put Hoemaru on him. Even so,the problem with the MP still remains.

19. drkelly

drkelly The Salt Surgeon VIP Supporter

Great Review Meme! But it is sad when we see 4 star or 3 star units outperform a 5 star unit. Not that i dont want them not to give us good 3 or 4 star units, its great tbh. But at least at par would have been better. Hopefully enhancements will improve him alot (and to all underwhelming 5 stars).

20. Mercy

Mercy Gemeinsam kämpfen wir! VIP Supporter Monthly Arena Champ S1

rip Daddy Gladiolus

Balthier104 likes this.