1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Gladiolus (Final Fantasy XV)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Bitzpleze

Bitzpleze Mad Sciontist VIP

Actually, Pirate Jake needs to be guarding for his cover skill to work. Which is a huge con when comparing PJake to Glad. So they are clearly different abilities.

@Memel0rd

Do you think that the skill Antagonize will ever comein handy? I think no. This skill, correct me if I'm wrong, seems really good if the boss deals lots of physical AoE hits. Then, will your party really do well taking those AoE physical hits? Probably not...

So the best use I see for Gladiolus, is some sort of physical based team in which each unit can survive without a tank and then have glad protect the healer from damage while the rest of the team gets lots of counters.

Seems pretty bad to me. Dang, my first 5* tank has yet to prove himself.

2. Ömömöpöp

Ömömöpöp Ascended Member

Leads:
    Orlando, event units
    Bit strange since Wilhelm has a 3turn "fish" ability with attached 30% damage reduction (40% enhanced) and pretty insane defensive stats, plus he has a 45% DEF/SPR (70% enhanced) Buff. And Wilhelm's LB adds 50% (74% if maxed) Damage reduction to the whole team. Wilhelm has ~23% better base def and 20% higher passives...unenhanced...

But if it works for you, go ahead !

3. ExviusNexus

ExviusNexus Member

Wilhelm doesn't block MAG damage, that was the issue with clearing the trial. I was only able to silence a few elements with the squad I had. Gladiolus blocked both MAG and ATK, both being mitigated around 40-50% with his royal guard ability to one unit. I also found it useful to use his ability "antagonize" because it gave my units a chance to silence his elements inbetween turns and thus, opened up opportunity on "free turns" to put out Max damage, replenish mp, or anything else.

Yes, Wilhelm is by far the best tank in the game (at least until they release the magic aoe cover tank). For me however, gladiolus got the job done. I was just happy with the results.

Bitzpleze likes this.
  4. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Warrior of Light Bartz
    Ye, the more members that are getting hit the more team counters all around.
    But your healer should survive it anyway :( Healers in the future will be your second bulkiest units after tha tank!

Bitzpleze likes this.
  5. Ömömöpöp

Ömömöpöp Ascended Member

Leads:
    Orlando, event units
    Just trying to understand the problem here. Wilhelm's "fish" means he gets hit by all single target physical and magical attacks with 30(40)% mitigation. It's basically like Noctis using fish and Gladio covering Noctis, just in 1 instead of 2 units. And neither Wilhelm nor Gladio does anything useful against aoe magic.

As for the antagonize and elements, ppl used to bring Rain (6*) for Gilgamesh simply because his shitty Lava Floor can silence 4 elements by itself. Though I guess you don't need to anymore.

6. EggyToast

EggyToast Well-Known Member

It's not that he's terrible, but that the rest of his kit leaves something to be desired. Compare:

1. Earth Veritas: Can provoke, but no mitigation. Can AOE cover, but only 35% mitigation
    2. Charlotte: Can AOE cover, with the same mitigation. Enhanced, will mitigate substantially more. Also, Charlotte can cover a specific ally, but only for physical (and enhanced, will nullify magic entirely)

EV can also put up party damage mitigation and party break resistance. Charlotte can be enhanced to be an amazing mana battery.

Gladiolus has the advantage of, well, being used as Iris advises -- if there's trouble, use Gladdy as a meat shield.

He has AOE cover with solid mitigation out of the box, and the stats to back it up. It's likely he will not die from AOE cover if you build him for it

Since his ally-cover basically redirects all damage from that ally to Gladdy with mitigation included, you can do silly things like bring Shantotto to a fight and cover her specifically, nullifying all damage to her.

You can imagine fights where a threshold or other critical turn will involve a mix of damage. Gladdy's skillset does allow him to basically ensure that one unit will always survive.

The downside is that the rest of his kit just isn't that good. Wilhelm is awesome because he comes with AOE buffs, and his LB is better than the party all Guarding. Gladdy's LB is a provoke, with damage -- boring! That said, you can always toss Pouch or Pod on Gladdy if you want him to do more.

Memel0rd likes this.
  7. Ömömöpöp

Ömömöpöp Ascended Member

Leads:
    Orlando, event units
    That's only true as long as Gladio doesn't die...dead guys don't cover anything. If the threshold is so bad that you need to resort to something like this to ensure 1 unit survives, then chances are that Gladio won't live long enough to protect that 1 unit. So there are limits to how far you can use that tactic.

8. Horus

Horus Ascended Member

Is it better to equip him with Giantaxe (+15% HP) or beastlord (+50% Atk passive and +20% Déf)?
    653 HP? Or 29 Def + 137 Atk (423 Atk for counter?)
    I'm confused...

9. bb1180

bb1180 "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2 or 2B
    Seems about even to me, but since Gladiolus isn't exactly lacking for HP, I've been giving him Beastlord. He's got less than a third of his +HP pots and only middling HP materias, but mine is already over 9400 HP.

I've been using him a bit and though I haven't had a chance to really test him yet in a trial, so far, I mostly like the results I've been getting from Gladio. I think he's probably going to replace WoL in my party for everything except the 10 man trials, where the lack of stat breaks becomes a major issue.

Horus likes this.
  10. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    As long as you can still Survive id go for beastlord
    He is focusing on damage quite a bit, so trying to balance it out might increase your overall dps a lot. However if you can easily Survive without any defensive weapons, I'd go with an elemental greatsword Matching your imperils

Horus likes this.
  11. Horus

Horus Ascended Member

Oh thanks but the damage is still low with 400+ Atk don't you think?

12. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Well.... Kind of. Nothing compared to demon rain

13. Ömömöpöp

Ömömöpöp Ascended Member

Leads:
    Orlando, event units
    Shouldn't expect any dmg unless you bring equip and materia's actually increasing it.
    Apart from that basically as Meme said. The HP is generally better then the DEF since DEF does nothing against magic. So w/e +HP weapon if you need him tankier ... or a real (elemental) damage weapon if you don't.

14. Raelf

Raelf "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Zeno, Regina
    Got the two 4* tix today

Pulled him

LET THE SALT COMMENCE!!!

15. Mcleod

Mcleod Der Langrisserlord - Retired VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TDW Chuck Norris
    He may be very niche, however i belive he's underrated now with mogle plushy you can get 640 def unbuffed while 100 provoke, 14k hp on the same setup. I think mystea and gladious should marry and have a kid named Basch. In all honestly he's not bad at all.

16. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    He's not bad, his competition is too big.

17. wilstreak

wilstreak Well-Known Member

Just got him with 5* ex ticket. Which of course not ideal but better than Lightning (delita or DKC).

Trying to find a scenario which might makes him useful sincee I already have Wilhelm.

But for now, the only thing i can see using him is running double tank with his entire role is to protect Emperor to make sure FFB stack won't dissappear.

1 healer, 1 buffer and 1 DPS. Probably gonna slot Pod 153 to either Wilhelm or Gladio to help build chain.

How good do you guys think about this setup?

18. Scheich

Scheich "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Leads:
    Event / Trial Units
    Why use double tank when u got the Mustache. Enhanced u don’t need anything else for most content. And even on most hard stuff 1 tank surfices mostly.

19. fffan

fffan "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Mostly chainers
    I don’t have William or that 4*turtle. (Refuse to use that ugly thing anyway)
    Is Gladlo the best we can get to pair with Mystea?( none limited unit)
    Use one support unit to provoke, then let Gladlo to cover him. (9S comes in mind, or Noctis, Zargabaath etc)

20. Ömömöpöp

Ömömöpöp Ascended Member

Leads:
    Orlando, event units
    Sounds like a bad idea....you basically waste 2 slots for physical tank (the support + Gladio).
    PD Noctis can do that solo, enhanced Wol finally has a useful 100% Provoke, enhanced Demon Rain should be able to do it as well .. Heck if you can stack enough Evasion you can even abuse Xon.
    Also some attacks ignore cover mechanics, in your case that would potentially mean you (temporarily) loose your support.
    So no.. Gladio isn't the best.