1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Illusionist Nichol (Final Fantasy Brave Exvius)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Unil0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Kurasame | JP: Akstar
    A military tactician for the Olderion Federation. He is the eldest of his family, the Wardens of the Waters. Though he puts his duties as a Warden first, seemingly taking his family for granted, deep down he really cares for his brother and sister. It seems his sister Luka can see down to his true clumsy nature.
    Right off the bet, he's pretty broken because of one ability mainly. And I already got him on both of my accounts ::rudecat10::

Illusionist Nichol Review by Memel0rd

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 4*
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Magical Top Hat (Hat) - MP+45, MAG+25, Auto-Refresh, Auto-Limit

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3246 (+450) Mag: 123 (+30)
    MP: 187 (+75) Def: 104 (+30)
    Atk: 106 (+30) Spr: 130 (+30)

6* Limit Burst: (moved this one up)
    Phantasmal Respite (Base / 16 LB-Crysts): Heal (480 HP, 8x) split over 3 turns to all allies
    Recover (12 MP, 0.2x) split over 3 turns to all allies
    Negate 2 physical damage taken for 3 turns to all allies
    Phantasmal Respite (Max / 16 LB-Crysts): Heal (1200 HP, 14x) split over 3 turns to all allies
    Recover (24 MP, 0.44x) split over 3 turns to all allies
    Negate 2 physical damage taken for 3 turns to all allies

5*: Lvl 18 Disenchant (16 MP / 1-Hit) - Magic damage (2x) to one enemy
    Remove all status effects from one enemy

5*: Lvl 54 Illusion - Doppelganger (16 MP) - Negate 2 physical damage taken for 3 turns to one ally

6*: Lvl 5 Illusion - Terrifying Visions (32 MP / 1-Hit) - Decrease ATK/MAG (45%) for 2 turns to one enemy
    Inflict confuse (30%) to one enemy

6*: Lvl 68 Illusion - Redirect (18 MP) - Chance to protect all allies from physical damage (100%) with damage mitigation (30% physical, 30% magic) for 2 turns to one ally

6*: Lvl 86 Illusion Phantasmal Forces (24 MP / 7-Hit) - Magic damage (2x) with consecutive damage increase (1x, max: 4) to one enemy

6*: Lvl 100 Master Illusionist (0 MP) - Use Illusion skills twice in one turn
    5*: Lvl 1 Absorb MP - Absorb MP from enemy spells taken
    5*: Lvl 36 Illusionist guise - Increase MAG (30%) when equipped with a hat
    Increase SPR (30%) when equipped with clothes
    5*: Lvl 80 Power of deception - Increase MP/MAG (30%)
    6*: Lvl 28 Phantasmal wards - Use Phantasmal Ward at the start of a battle
    Phantasmal Ward - Chance to counter physical damage taken from all allies except caster (50%) with physical damage (1.5x, MAG) to one enemy for 3 turns
    4*: Lvl 1 Blizzaga (20 MP / 1-Hit) - Ice magic damage (1.8x) to all enemies
    4*: Lvl 14 Waterga (20 MP / 1-Hit) - Water magic damage (1.8x) to all enemies
    4*: Lvl 32 Imperil (15 MP) - Decrease resistance to all elements (20%) for 3 turns to one enemy
    4*: Lvl 48 Osmose (10 MP / 1-Hit) - Magic damage (0.3x) as MP drain (30%) to one enemy
    5*: Lvl 72 Barblizzara (12 MP) - Increase ice resistance (50%) for 3 turns to all allies
    5*: Lvl 72 Barwatera (12 MP) - Increase water resistance (50%) for 3 turns to all allies
    6*: Lvl 50 Meteor (50 MP / 1-Hit) - Magic damage (2.5x) with ignore SPR (25%) to all enemies

Pros:
    Illusionist Nichol
    is quite broken. You may ask why, I will explain it to you in just a second, so hang on there, buddy.

The only strong stat Illusionist Nichol has is his MP stat. The other stats are quite average and his passives are more or less average as well. 60% MAG, 30% SPR/MP. Luckily he is build as a support unit which means you will stack lots of HP and his HP base isn't the worst, so you can build around it quite well. Though you will have to equip clothes instead of a robe to get the SPR boost.

His equipment selection is really interesting though if you have some limited gear.
    He not only is able to equip staves and rods, he can also equip Daggers, Throwing weapons and... knuckles??
    Ulric's Kukri is a really fun choice to run on him since it grants 20 SPR and 10% all elemental resistance. Or you go with FFT-0 or FFXI dagger that grants 10% HP.
    Aigaion Arm / FFX Knuckle to get his LB a lot faster. So I.Nichol can vary his builds a lot, but in most cases you will go for staves anyway.

I'm not quite sure how Absorb MP functions since only a minority of the bosses are actually using spells, but I guess against enemies that use it, this can be quite the MP refresh? I'd be pleased if somebody explains this properly to me, I will then update this :).

Illusionist Nichol grants himself a buff that makes him counter with a 50% chance once an ally gets hit by a physical attack with a 150% MAG modifier. It's neat for some extra LB, but if used with an AoE tank he rarely counters.

Disenchant is a ST Dispel mainly, the damage portion isn't really important. It's very simple, sadly it doesn't have the "Illusion -" name on it, so it can't be DC'd.

"B-b-b-b-but how is he able to DC abilties, meme? ::rudecat10::"
    Master Illusionist is a great ability. It makes Illusionist Nichol able to use two abilities that has a "Illusion - XY" in its name, so that's really neat. Because his abilities are actually really good.

Illusion - Doppelganger grants one ally two Mirages, which means he has 2x 100% dodges against physical attacks. And in GL currently Mirage still stacks, this means you could DC this ability to your tank and he has a 100% chance to dodge up to 4 physical moves. And of course it can be DC'd with another ability.

Illusion - Terrifying Vision though is a lot stronger. It's a ST 2 turn 45% ATK/MAG break, while that doesn't sound as amazing as other breakers, do keep in mind that you can basically use this WITH another ability at the same time, so reapplying it is super super easy. Great ability.

Illusion - Phantasmal Forces is a 200% - 500% 7 hit magic move, while Illusionist Nichol is not a DPS unit at all, this is similar to Rikku.
    It can be either used for really cheap chaining if you are a beginner to ramp up your damage or for simple chain bridging. But I would not use it as a fully commited DPS ability, will come to that later. For chain bridging though it can be veeery neat because you still can use abilities twice.

Though there is one ability that is so outstanding, so stupidly strong, that it can't be really compared to anyone.
    And that's Illusion Redirect.
    You can literally grant ANY ally a 100% AoE physical cover with a 30% phys/mag mitigation. I will talk later about the units that synergize with it really well, but I can tell you, not only from personal experience but from other people's experience, this ability is one of the best I've seen in FFBE so far. And yes, you can use it with another ability in the same turn.

His Limit Burst is quite strong as well, easy to collect with some buffs or gears due to its low LB cryst cost thus it can be used often.
    The effect however is really good, especially for people who don't have a MP battery in their team.
    On the maxed rank it grants a decent AoE HP regen, a good AoE MP regen and 2 AoE mirages. The MP portion combined with the 2 AoE Mirages is just so handy in a lot of fights, I'd recommend you maxing it. Unless you run units like e.Queen or Lunera, but it makes you able to not use MP batteries as often as you normally would.

Cons:
    Illusionist Nichol
    can have difficulties finding a spot in current teams (outside of 10 man trial content of course).

His role is to basically break and MAKE somebody a tank. The issue however is that we already have options like these that do not use up a unit slot. Thus units like Warrior of Light could replace him if you don't have any of the following units I will list that synergise with I.Nichol amazingly.
    But like I said, that can be a problem. If you are going to just simply use a very tanky unit without anything else but tankyness, you will run into some problems most likely.

Something which bothers me personally and might be seen as some sort of rant is his very low MAG base stat.
    He does have an ability that can potentially go up to a 10x mod per turn with 14 hits, which is decent enough for a 4* unit. And he does have 60% MAG, but his DPS goes down the drench when you look at his base MAG. A max of 153? There are mages that have higher MAG WITHOUT pots, which should immediately tell you "that's bad, lol".

Also, if you do not have any LB supportive equipment or buffs, you should not rely on his Limit Burst to be up every third turn. Yes, it has a low cost and you are likely to get it within three turns, but you can run into scenarios where you do not have it back up after three turns, so prepare for that.

All his magic spells basically seem useless. He does not have innate DC and it's not worth it to put that onto him. His only decent magic spells are osmose and barwatera. Barblizzara can be provided by Carbuncle anyway. But they are not worthy to put DC on.

Side-Notes:
    Illusionist Nichol
    might never fall out of the meta because his so unique ability to make all units tanks is just never found in any unit before (/ in JP) and as you know, being unique in a positive matter makes you way less vulnerable to Power Creep.
    Unless we will get a unit that is just right out better than Nichol, he should not fall out of flavor any time soon.

Arena:
    I don't recommend using him at all. He has no status ailment protection, he has no DC, he has no AoE damaging abilities (Illusion - Phantasmal Forces is ST) and that is basically reason enough why you should not use him in there. He's not designed to be good in the arena.

Comparisons:

There will be no comparisons on this one, so I instead give you, since I already told you I will, a unit synergy bracket.

Unit Synergy:

I will list four different tanks and explain why they work amazingly with I.Nichol.

Illusionist Nichol [​IMG] WITH [​IMG] Zargabaath

Zargabaath is a great option to use with Illusionist Nichol.
    Zargabaath has really high stats, he has innate evasion and can easily go up to 100% evasion.
    While Illusionist Nichol covers the breaks, Zargabaath can buff your whole team's stats, damage mitigation AND elemental coverage. Also, Zargabaath has really high counter rates and thus will counter a lot with his very strong counters and decent ATK.
    Zargabaath is one of the four units I highly recommend you using with I.Nichol.

Illusionist Nichol [​IMG] WITH [​IMG] Enhanced Queen

Enhanced Queen isn't the most obvious choice because if you look at her just like that, you won't see much of a reason why you would want to use her with I.Nichol.
    But if you take a closer look to her Berserk+2, you will see that she is able to get a 200% DEF/SPR buff while having a huge MP battery move.
    Enhanced Queen works very well with Nichol against content where you need heavy MP. And if you do have Pod 153, Queen becomes much more of a great option, since Queen is not locked into either reusing her MP move every turn nor is she locked into it like a song.

Illusionist Nichol [​IMG] WITH [​IMG] Wilhelm

Wilhelm has a mustache.
    For real though. Wilhelm is probably the unit with the highest defensive stats.
    Wilhelm also has innate Draw Attacks, one of the absolute best Limit Bursts that he can massively spam. He also has a very high counter rate and his attacks are able to generate lots of LB crysts compared to others.
    But not only his LB grants really good supportive aspects, he also has decent buffs that can be clutch.
    Overall Wilhelm is probably the best choice because... he's just THAT tanky.

Illusionist Nichol [​IMG] WITH [​IMG] Enhanced Demon Rain

Demon Rain
    is probably the worst choice because Demon Rain only brings tanking capabilities and damage. Loooots of damage.
    100% counter rate, 300% counter mods, 150% True Doublehand, 120% self ATK buff.
    But if you go for a 100% evasion build with Demon Rain, he goes into AoE cover mode and the enemy uses two AoE attacks.... that'll be 12 counters guaranteed, which also means that you'll get a 3600% mod for free as damage. Not factoring in any imperils or killers.
    That means if you want just tanking + damage, Demon Rain is a very good choice.

Trust Master Reward:
    This is great for any support unit that highly appreciates getting their LB a lot but doesn't need to focus too much on defensive stats because of either innate defensive stats or just massive gear overall.
    It grants 45 MP, which already looks quite decent but also a 5% MP refresh, so it covers that issue as well.
    On top of that, 25 MAG and 1 LB cryst per turn. No defensive stats.
    It's not a high priority TMR, but it can be a gamechanger depending on what unit you are using it on.

Conclusion:
    I.Nichol
    is NOT a must pull by any means. But his insane potential as a 4* unit reminds me of Rikku back then, only that Rikku seems more broken.
    But the ability to make everyone a decent tank is something remarkable thus he becomes a force that should be reckoned with. But breaking in the same turn and acting as MP battery? That's nice for sure.
    If you did not pull him yet, I do suggest you to go for him because the rest of his banner is decent as well. And he is limited, which means, if you read this in the future and you didn't get him, sorry mate.
    For now, I'd highly suggest you to go for him, he is a 4* and you can get trolled, but it SHOULD not be too hard. And he's really good.

Character Design: 9.5/10
    Sprite: 8/10
    Chainer: 4-5/10
    Trust Master Reward: 7.5/10
    Arena: 1/10
    Limit Burst: 8/10
    Free 2 Play: 8.5/10
    Pay 2 Play: 9.5/10
    Personal Rating: 9/10
    Optimal Rating: 9-9.5/10 (depending on your units)

I hope you enjoyed me trying out something new and I bet lots of you wanted something like this for a longer time now. But I don't know if I will make this a permanent thing, maybe everytime the comparisons aren't really there I could make it as a "compensation"

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  2. syren555

syren555 "Hall of Fame" Member

Leads:
    A2, tidus, Olive,
    nice review Meme
    I think for hat 5% MP reg is very good. One of the best Hats
    For me TM is 8.5

3. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Unil0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    It is good indeed, the question is just who would effectively use it? If we compare BiS builds and you go Auto lb you are going to use ayaka tmr which already grants 10% mp per turn.
    And if you only want the 5% mp refresh portion, you could use arias tmr to try to compensate that with 15% mp but huge spr

But i will Try to Come up with possible builds that include this tmr over others

syren555 likes this.
  4. Shinobi_SAC

Shinobi_SAC "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    959 392 578
    Leads:
    Acc1: 7 Lucius Acc2: 7 Wilhelm
    159/45
    From experience of using I.Nichol on halloween nightmare, he absorbs the mp cost of magic spells used against him, regardless of damage actually done (being hit for 1 dmg, but recovering hundreds of mp)

Memel0rd likes this.
  5. hereiam

hereiam Well-Known Member

Add enhanced Grace PLZ!!!
    She can buff herself with +200% stat for 5 turns at any time, got quite good gear selection, monster HP and an innate +30% all stats resist.
    Plus she is a 4*
    Grace is my secret love, please make her great again Mem!

6. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    That's useful Information, thanks!:)

7. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    But she doesnt have any supportive aspects nor insane counters. She's just a meatball, youd be better off using another tank instead most likely

8. Nemeko

Nemeko Ascended Member

Leads:
    6 star Nine
    Noctis is a good partner.
    Not like great, but good if we get the full benefit of the jp version of Noctis

Memel0rd likes this.
  9. Nemeko

Nemeko Ascended Member

Leads:
    6 star Nine
    Doomsday, Alucardsoma and Bsbush84 like this.
  10. fletcha

fletcha ฅʕ•̫͡•ʔฅ . ʕʘˑ̫ʘʔ . ʕʘ‿ʘʔ . (´ᴥ`) VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Tidus, Barb, BSS, Lila
    Thanks for the review! I'm excited to try to use him. I'm farming 20-sided dice right now and will go after skeleton king nightmare with a full evade Tidus along with iNichol.

However, the Wiki ranking of 14 seems too high considering so many bosses use aoe magic rather than physical damage. What do you all think?

11. Nemeko

Nemeko Ascended Member

Leads:
    6 star Nine
    He also has a 45% atk/mag break with confuse so that basically lets him replace a wol for the most part. He also has a unique "counter" for a short time that lets him do heavy physical damage based on his mag plus his LB is very powerful with hp,mp, and adds dodge to all units. So even say if you are using Wilhelm as a massive solid wall and suddenly give him physical evade and lets him negate some damage as well as the odd non aoe physical.

Gorz, ejx220 and Memel0rd like this.
  12. Demiluna

Demiluna Ascended Member

One thing I'd like to add as a synergy is enhanced soleil, if you give her a full dodge build you can make her a tank, making it basically a tank and ramza with 2 4* bases, imo a very worthwhile setup because a tank can be dropped with this, and soleil +inichol is basically ramza + tank that way, with better stat buffs.

13. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I knew about that but forgot it, might add it later :)

14. Ashlag

Ashlag Ice GS community now live. Fear us, you heretics. Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Great shit, I swear
    I confirm the synergy with e.Soleil, even if I'm not using Soleil but Zarg. Anyway, great review, thanks for reminding me I still don't have him nor Jake ::ink::

Memel0rd likes this.
  15. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    No Problem Man. Dont know if it helps you, but just wanna let you know....

Memel0rd (Main): 1x Nichol, 3x Jake
    Meme64 (alt): 1x Nichol, 2x Jake

::rudecat10::

Annunaki likes this.
  16. Bryyce

Bryyce Ascended Member

Leads:
    2B
    Do the damage mitigation from Redirect stack with other sources of mitigation, or does only the highest rate apply?
    If it stacks, does it simply add up or it a kind of "diminishing returns"? Like, say I use Redirect on WoL with LIWU on. Mitigation is :
    50% (from LIWU) ?
    80% (50% from LIWU + 30% from Redirect) ?
    65% (50% from LIWU + 50%*30% from Redirect) ?
    other ?

17. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Its hidden mitigation, Covers are always hidden mitigation.

How does it work?
    Lets say you have a 30% damage reduction buff and proc this cover + guard :

100%*0.7*0.7*0.5 = 24,5% remaining damage.
    0.7 because you take 30% away.

Flashdrive, Arkadi and Bryyce like this.
  18. Ashlag

Ashlag Ice GS community now live. Fear us, you heretics. Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Great shit, I swear
    Well, I do have GL Sakura though ::rudecat10::

19. Bryyce

Bryyce Ascended Member

Leads:
    2B
    OK, this is what I called "diminishing returns" with my own words then. Thanks!

Memel0rd likes this.
  20. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    3x Jake tmr + a broken Support > gl sakura ::rudecat10::

Alucardsoma and NightsX like this.