1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Kelsus (Final Fantasy Brave Exvius)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Warrior of Light Bartz
    He is the chosen one. People in the streets fear him. Men are trying to protect their women but fearing the death makes them run away. The women can't be helped anymore. Today we're talking about the first GL Double Fister.... What?
    Ok, no, the little picture for today won't be included. I tried to come up with something but either way I edit the images, it's still way too inappropriate. THERE ARE KIDS WATCHING, god dammit.

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG]5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate Resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Predigy's Goggles (Accessory) - +15 DEF/SPR ; Increase LB gauge (2) per turn ; Enables usage of Analyze

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3323(+390) Mag: 128 (+26)
    MP: 175 (+65) Def: 120 (+26)
    Atk: 148 (+34) Spr: 122 (+26)

5*: Lvl 49 - DEF +20%
    6*: Lvl 15 - HP +20%
    6*: Lvl 33 Double Fist (lmao) - Enable to equip two fists
    6*: Lvl 76 - ATK +30%
    6*: Lvl 100 Limiter Cut - Increase LB gauge (6) per turn
    5*: Lvl 28 Thunder Plasma - Lightning physical damage (1.8x) to all enemies
    5*: Lvl 64 Dark Plasma - Dark physical damage (1.8x) to all enemies
    5*: Lvl 80 Missile Shelter - Physical damage (2x) with delay (1 turn) to all enemies ; Physical damage mitigation (30%) for 1 turn to caster
    6*: Lvl 1 Metal Territory - Increase DEF/SPR (80%) for 3 turns to caster; Heal (3000 HP, 9x) split over 3 turns to caster ; Increase LB gauge fill rate (200%) for 3 turns to caster
    6*: Lvl 20 Fire Plasma - Fire physical damage (1.8x) to all enemies
    6*: Lvl 51 Ice Plasma - Ice physical damage (1.8x) to all enemies)
    5*: Lvl 12 Fira - Fire magic damage (1.4x) to all enemies
    5*: Lvl 40 Blizzara - Ice magic damage (1.4x) to all enemies
    6*: Lvl 45 Thundaga - Lightning magic damage (1.8x) to all enemies
    6*: Lvl 89 Darkga - Dark magic damage (1.8x) to all enemies

6* Limit Burst:
    Overload (Base): Increase ATK/DEF/SPR (130%) for 3 turns to caster
    Enables access to the following ability for 3 turns: Crushing Vice

Overload (Max): Increase ATK/DEF/SPR (154%) for 3 turns to caster
    Enables access to the following ability for 3 turns: Crushing Vice

Crushing Vice: Physical damage (5x) to one enemy

Pros:

Kelsus' base stats are really good for him being a free unit (here we go again v2). His ATK stat even tops the one from older top tier DPS units like Elza. That's really not shabby. He also gets more durability because of his pretty good HP and DEF for a DPS and HP/DEF passives. Thumbs up.

While he has a pretty good innate elemental coverage, his main theme is revolving around his LB which is his main aspect of playstyle in this one. First off, his max LB has insane ATK/DEF/SPR buffs, which doesn't only help solely him surviving better but amplifying his attack power like crazy. And he can somewhat abuse this quite hard because of his decent ATK stat. His LB also grants him a 5x 1-Hit Mod, which basically makes him a really really strong DPS unit after the LB.

Kelsus also gets a free DW for knuckles. Really really good especially for beginners (but I'll talk about that later on). If you have 2 Kaiser knuckles, he has no use for a DW since his equipment selection does not have any weapon masteries (besides knuckles with Champion Belt and Yun TMR), so Genji Glove / DW are not necessary at all for him right now. In fact, abusing knuckles in GL is really strong right now.

Kelsus also has a buff amplifying his already strong innate LB fillrate. He can buff himself 80% DEF/SPR with a semi-strong regen and 200% LB Fillrate up for 3 turns. Sadly it's ST to the caster, but still pretty good for him solely since he really needs the LB Fillrate to be useful.

His Crushing Vice is actually one of the highest mods we currently have. And since it is a 1-Hitter, I highly recommend using him as a finisher. Kelsus is a good free to have finisher.

Cons:
    Kelsus has poor ATK Passives. 30% ATK for the current meta is just bad. Even 50% ATK is overall pretty bad compared to the average ATK passives the low to high meta units have. His maxed LB kinda makes up for it for a total of 184% ATK, but again, nobody really will max his LB making him "only" having 160% ATK and this can be easily topped. E.G. Mercedes AoE Warcry +2 with innate 70% ATK passives on unit XY. So 30% ATK stays 30% ATK, which is bad.

His Crushing Vice also uses up 45 MP and Kelsus not having any MP passives or refreshs makes this quite limited.

Why does Kelsus have magic? He can equip rods, but that won't help him. He cannot abuse Letters and Arms, he has no MAG passives and a really bad MAG base stat. His LB also does not increase his MAG. Kelsus also has no innate DC , so there is literally no point in giving him usage of magic.

Kelsus has pretty good innate elemental coverage, but there are two problems.
    1. Their mods are horrible. 1.8x Mods in the current meta are simply unusable for difficult content. It's really bad.
    2. The elemental coverage is completely useless basically if you equip Kaiser Knuckles on him since the elements will be double elemental then which is for at least 95% of the cases just bad.

Another problem for beginners is that his DW knuckles is pretty underwhelming if you do not have 2 kaiser knuckles. Because all free to have knuckles are really bad. The strongest (not-limited) free to have knuckle has 47 ATK and the highest elemental has only 51 with wind elemental. In comparison to Enhancer, Genji Blade, Holy Lance, the recent Gungnirs, Blood sword (all unlimited) it's really not good.

A somewhat big con in my opinion is directed to Knuckles overall. The only strong knuckles we got are wind elemental. Which is basically fine for units like Yun because he wants to chain anyway. But Kelsus being a finisher, this is really bad. He cannot decide what elementals he wants to equip really. If you include Axes, he could use Mercedes TMR for water elemental, but Kelsus still will have Kaiser Knuckles equipped and thus making his attacks double elemental again, which I personally hate. Another really important thing to point out regarding Kaiser Knuckles: We currently have no really good wind imperil to amplify it's damage. This is a semi-strong drawback in terms of finishing.

Side-Notes:
    Kelsus basically is really bad without his LB but after LB he becomes really strong for 3 Turns. It's just problematic that his Crushing Vice is limited to 3 Turns after the LB and if you're really unlucky with the LB Cryst drops, you might not get his LB back in 3 Turns.

Comparison:
    Kelsus is a solely LB reliant unit, which makes him currently not comparable to others in general. We don't have a DPS unit (e.g. Cloud), who's main damage comes from his LB. I will add in comparisons once we get actual units to compare him with.

Trust Master Reward:
    Pretty strong for future Units like Rikku and current Units like Wilhelm to make their LB's even more spammable then they already are. Do not hesitate to farm it if you want it.

Conclusion:
    Fine enough free unit. One of my major drawbacks liking him is that his LB takes 30 Crysts to fully fill up. If it was about 16 or 20, no problem. But 30 is still really slow compared to other DPS units, making him unappealing for my regards. As a beginner still pretty nice to have still. Especially the DW part.

Character Design: 5/10
    Chainer: 1/10
    Finisher: 7/10
    Personal Rating: 7/10
    Free To Play Rating (new): 7-8/10
    Pay to Play Rating (new): 4/10
    Optimal Rating: 5.5/10

Kelsus is weird and interesting at the same time. I hope you enjoyed it and as always:

Have a nice day! You filthy people.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    JMR, Garuda1984, Jewizard and 13 others like this.
  2. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
    Too ugly for me to use....

Khidir and Memel0rd like this.
  3. Khidir

Khidir Ascended Member

I know you said you didn't include any offensive images due to the kids here but I notice the sprites are still included in your review.

Cherub and Goddess Nyx like this.
  4. Ultimate Dragoon

Ultimate Dragoon Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Tidus Mostly, Christine, BONUS
    Im surprised, a bunch of ppl doesnt like Kelsus sprites but he are one of the most originals I ever seen, is not a badass or a waifu (hate those) but is pretty cool, a dark mage-like human with two f*cking mecha fists floating around him... Idk, I just like him... Is better than some little girl with the insane power of a god or a few really darky badass units who are really useless xD

Crostar and Manzazuu like this.
  5. Felon

Felon Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    855 922 165
    Japan ID:
    601 809 570
    Leads:
    Orlandeau
    If your gonna use him and you have no strong non element knucklesuse the FF XIV raid Gats Knuckles 88atk knuckles id recommend to get

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  6. Revenge

Revenge Very Cute Member VIP Supporter

Leads:
    A2
    I still only have 120 shards.
    How many do you guys have?

7. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    They are Yda exclusive

Felon likes this.
  8. Felon

Global ID:
    855 922 165
    Japan ID:
    601 809 570
    Leads:
    Orlandeau
    K i didnt see that

9. Felon

Global ID:
    855 922 165
    Japan ID:
    601 809 570
    Leads:
    Orlandeau
    We should all have the same like 70 from raidbir something n 5 a day from quest

10. Revenge

Revenge Very Cute Member VIP Supporter

Leads:
    A2
    We still have 19 days to summon him. So in theory we can only reach 215 shards and we need 300.
    I guess they will give us more shards in the new Story Event.

11. Emeiru

Emeiru Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orly
    LOL I'm beginning to get worried if I missed a shard bonus.

Anyways, I'm cheering for the new guys to successfully get him!

12. Jasper

Jasper Lilith is love. Lilith is life. VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    With Fohlen coming out there should be some good synergy between these two. Foh's -75% wind debuff counter and Kelsus spamming his LB attack sounds like fun.

Too bad I probably won't get Fohlen.

13. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Struggler VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2 Olive OK Tidus
    All I want from him is his TMR. I dislike that sprite - poor black mage with ripped arms (those aren't hands, only pieces of flesh) and huge "finger" pointed at you. Double Fist is no joke, either!

He could be compared to another mage - Zyrus, who also needs his LB active to deal good damage.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  14. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Why to a mage? He is a physical dps, not a mage :)

15. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Struggler VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2 Olive OK Tidus
    "A young genius from Mysidia" - he is a MAGE! He can cast a variety of black magic spells. Of course, his strongest attack is physical :rolleyes: But still, he relies on his LB, just like Zyrus.

Scheich likes this.
  16. JoeyCastellon

JoeyCastellon Active Member

Cool, now I don't feel I need this unit, but it is still nice to have. I think the sprites are pretty cool
    I'm really liking these reviews. I hate not having come here sooner

Memel0rd likes this.
  17. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
  18. Elrond

Elrond Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh
    The wiki is showing that he needs 100000 shards to awaken to 6*? Surely that's a typo considering the current rate of shards?

Looks like there are 90 shards available in King Mog event, but I guess they shouldn't be required to summon him even if only getting 5/day based on worst case quests. Really prefer not to waste 9k crimson ore since there are other items I'd prefer from King Mog.

19. Consarn

Consarn certified non-furry VIP Supporter

Leads:
    ultraviolent, windswept
    He can't be black mage if he's a physical damage unit.

20. Keregrin

Keregrin Member

How about teaming him with awakened Snow?