1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: King (Final Fantasy Type-0)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, May 17, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd oofers Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Kurasame | JP: Akstar
    A young man who appears in the tales of a world divided into four nations that individually control their own unique Crystals. He was taken in at an early age, and has since been raised as a cadet to become Agito, the legendary savior or saviors. Silent and somewhat frightening, he unintentionally gives off an air of intimidation that masks his thoughtful and considerate nature. An outstanding cadet who is always levelheaded and determined, he wields the dual handguns on the battlefield without hesitation.
    That's right, the most disappointing unit in FFBE finally joined our summon-pool. Sorry, I forgot his name... King? Not my king at least...
    This one will be a rather quick review...

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG]4*
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Resolve (Passive Ability) - Recover MP (7%) per turn during battle

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3621 (+450) Mag: 118 (+30)
    MP: 148 (+75) Def: 126 (+30)
    Atk: 141 (+30) Spr: 120 (+30)

4*: Lvl 12 Trigger Finger - Chance to counter physical attacks (45%)
    4*: Lvl 32 - ATK + 20%
    4*: Lvl 60 Hi-Cap Magazine - ATK +20% and Increase critical rate (40%)
    5*: Lvl 71 - DEF + 20%
    6*: Lvl 1 Hi-Cap Magazine II - ATK +30% and normal attack hits thrice
    6*: Lvl 91 - HP + 20%
    Global Exclusive: X*: Lvl (?) Two Guns - Enable unit to wield two guns
    5*: Lvl 25 Point-Blank Shot (18 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (2.1x) to one enemy
    5*: Lvl 45 Rapid Fire (16 MP / X-Hits) - One to six physical damage (1x each) to random enemies
    5*: Lvl 80 Hawkeye (28 MP) - Increase ATK (100%) and decrease DEF (50%) for 5 turns to caster
    6*: Lvl 68 Magazine Blast (23 MP / 1-Hit) - Fire physical damage (1.9x) and decrease DEF (40%) to one enemy
    6*: Lvl 100 Indomitable (18 MP) - Auto-revive (50% HP) for 1 turn to caster

6* Limit Burst:
    Endless Waltz (Base): 1-Hit Physical damage (2.9x) to one enemy

Endless Waltz (Max): 1-Hit Physical damage (4.1x) to one enemy

Pros:
    King starts off with a decent HP, DEF and SPR base. Nothing too shabby to have as a DPS unit. He also gets +70% ATK in total, which actually is really nice for a 4* unit. He also gets +20% HP / DEF, making his base stats even more valuable. King as a 4* unit has pretty good stats allround, making him having more survivability in a longer fight.

Moving on, King has some interesting passives to work with. Not only that he gets +40% crit chance (making it a 50% chance it total), his normal attack also hits thrice. AND through having a Global Exclusive buff, he can also dual wield guns. Having a basically free DW Guns is always not a bad thing, especially for newer players. That makes his normal attack hitting 6 time if you equipped him with 2 guns. And those attack also have a 50% crit chance, that's "some" power. (I'll talk later about that one)

King also has access to an elemental Damaging Ability "Magazine Blast", which also reduces the enemies DEF by 40%, making him a somewhat valuable debuffer if you don't have any better. King can also revive him self with 50% HP. Auto-revive is always a good thing, right? Right....

Cons:
    As you saw just a moment ago, there aren't a lot of pros. And I do apologize in advance, there will be a lot cons. Let's get started.

His ATK base is bad for the current meta. 141 Base ATK is just.... bad. Units like Firion have a bad ATK Base too, but they do their job great. King does not.

First things first, we are not in a barrage / auto-attack meta, we weren't for a long time and we will probably never be again. And his most damaging moves are either a gambling barrage or his 6 auto-attacks. This alone makes him really bad.
    On top of this, he only has 2 (not barrage-like) damaging abilities. And their modifiers straight up suck. He has a 2.1x modifier and a 1.9x modifier, both are really really bad. I do not recommend using them, unless you want to break the enemy's def by 40%.
    Also his auto-attack animation is just... long. Not a real con, it's just wasted time.

"Hawkeye" also is another really bad ability. Yes, it grants +100% attack, but debuffing his own defense... by 50%. Why do you ever want to use that? That's basically suicide at that point. King's auto-revive won't help you with that one. The auto-revive only lasts for 1-Turn. That means either the enemy kills you immediately after that or you wasted a turn.
    Hawkeye doesn't even synergyze well with the Auto-Revive. Dying resets your buffs, using auto-revive after your buff leads to wasting time to deal more potential "damage".

He doesn't have any real supportive aspects, no status ailment protection, nothing. A pure DPS unit with... really bad DPS overall.

Ironically his counters are not only 45% , but are limited to being hit by physical damage. You have a 100% atk buff, which is already really bad because of the -50% def, but then you also make his counters only proc when being hit by a physical move. This doesn't add up for me, I'm sorry. The whole idea he revolves around is somewhat cool, but it's just so badly translated.

His LB is really bad, too. He cannot spam it, since he doesn't have any LB fill-rate ups, it has a pretty bad modifier too and no utility at all. Pure and bad damage.
    The TMR is... ok-ish. Nothing too crazy you should go for.

Arena:
    The only usable tactic I can see working out for you might be stacking HP up to the oblivion and fill your LB's and esper gauge with his counters. But be warned: It's only 45% chance on physical hits, so snow still does this job a lot better.

Comparison: Chizuru (enhanced) ( http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Chizuru )
    [​IMG]
    - King has worse ATK-Base stats but 25% more ATK Passives
    - Chizuru has useful damaging abilities
    - Chizuru can chain great with a clone
    - King has way higher HP while Chizuru has an innate dodge chance
    - Both have the chance for countering
    - Both LB's are really bad
    - Chizuru's enhancements make her Phantom Shadow pretty strong
    - Chizuru has better equipment selections
    - Chizuru has barrage, which you will never use, but for the sake of the review

King can't win. Being restricted to his awful moveset, King can't deal any great damage. He can't chain, he can't finish, he can't support. There is just no point in using King over Chizuru, to be honest.

Comparison: Medius (enhanced) ( http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Medius )
    [​IMG]
    - Both have awful ATK Bases, but Medius has only 30% ATK Passives...
    - Medius has +50% chance of being targeted, while King debuffs his own DEF by 50%
    - Both have a 50% chance of critting
    - Medius has actual "somewhat" usable damaging abilities and an pretty ok chain capability
    - Both have innate DW Guns
    - Medius can almost frequently use his LB, which is a 13-Hitter making it somewhat usable for chaining purposes
    - Both have awful equipment selection

I'd give this one... to Medius. Medius can AT LEAST SOMEWHAT chain. King is just THAT bad. You know a unit is really bad if compared to Medius and still loses.

Comparison: Cloud of Darkness ( http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Cloud_of_darkness )
    [​IMG]
    - CoD has higher ATK-Base stats but worse passives
    - CoD has innate +Man-Killer
    - Both are barrage-type users
    - CoD has really good elemental resistances and at least a bit of status ailment protection
    - Both LB's are pretty bad
    - Both TMR's are pretty bad
    - CoD has supportive aspects and can almost Esuna your team or increase your elemental resistances
    - CoD has a pretty ok-ish damaging ability
    - CoD has slightly better equipment selection

I'd give this one to CoD. She can still be a cheap support and somewhat good against human type enemies. Especially with her free mace that grants man-killer.
    She at least can support your team a bit, King just can't do anything. But CoD is getting outdated pretty quickly this time around.

Trust Master Reward:

Like I said earlier, nothing too crazy. Go for it, if you want to. But it's not necessary. Especially after getting "Vestment of Mind", Kefka's robe, the Soluna Ring etc etc. Sozhe's TMR is better in my opinion, but only grants 3% MP refresh. King grants 7%, so if you are really keen on having 4% more MP regen and don't need the ATK passive, this one is better.
    It's also a tad better than the MP-Regen materia you can buy with 200 Star quartz

My Conclusion:
    Only pull him for his bonus in the upcomming event. He is one of the worst units we have ever seen lately. King is just a trash-tier unit and by any means should not be in any real team unless you only have 5 units or you want to restrict yourself. "The King Challenge", am I right?
    Please, don't waste anything if you desire to pull him.

Character Design: 5/10
    Sprite: 7/10
    Chainer: 2/10
    Finisher: 2/10
    Personal Rating: 1/10
    Optimal Rating: 1.5/10

Sorry, I apologize if I was a bit too harsh or biased at this one. There is just really no reason to ever use him.

Anyway, hope you still enjoyed this.

Have a nice day!

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    JMR, JoeyCastellon, Natxo and 10 others like this.
  2. Parade

Parade I'm So Proud of You, Children VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    His TMR is a 7% Auto-Refresh, even stronger than the 200 Star Quartz version (5%). Sure, Soze's has HP and ATK too, but what if all you're looking for is the MP Refresh? Soze's 3% isn't that great lol. Vestment of Mind is only 3% as well BTW.

My only complaint is that I think his TMR is a bit better than you stated, other than that, very solid.

3. Memel0rd

Memel0rd oofers Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    limme change it up then real quick, so you'll be satisfied ::rudecat5::

Redtide and Parade like this.
  4. Kaladin Stormblessed

Kaladin Stormblessed Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Con:
    He also makes out with Nine...so there's that.

5. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    [​IMG]

santafee, Natxo, SvAsp and 2 others like this.
  6. PlusKun

PlusKun Ascended Member

Leads:
    Zargabaath
    Oh my. ::rudecat5::

Eynskaet, Malik, Redtide and 2 others like this.
  7. darkefreet

darkefreet Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeu, Noctis, or Ace
    If I put Lightning TMR on him and put two guns on him, would he attack 12 times?

If yes, I might pull him and put him on arena to piss people off xD

8. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    I missed this part in the game. Looks like I need to re-play it lol

Not a con for everyone, bb ::rudecat3::

ejx220 likes this.
  9. Veritas of the Wine

Veritas of the Wine Miss Vanjie VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Seph/Fry. JP: 7 star e.Seph
    Can we ever get a Mog event with useable (non 5* base) bonus units? I seriously hate having to pull for trash. Unless there is something mind-blowingly amazing in King Mog's inventory, I'll be skipping this event (apart from the summon tickets) in favour of TM farming.

Redtide likes this.
  10. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    Ah... I just thought of something.

Since my team is usually one of the 5* base plus four of the 4* base, I have to sit through so many long King animations ::rudecat6::

11. darkefreet

darkefreet Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeu, Noctis, or Ace
    Just slide down and repeat :p.
    That's what I do to Lightning friend everytime xD

Parade likes this.
  12. crazyturkey

crazyturkey Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: KM Bonus JP: Rinoa
    158 99
    Great for arena! Slot him with DW, equip spear, twin lance, barrage, aura scarf, ribbon, and HP+ items. Bet you nobody will attack you again after the first fight :D

YannC, Valmanway and Redtide like this.
  13. nodice05

nodice05 Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth, DF, Emp, OK or Bonus
    i suppose I may end up with one for the event, the only saving grace is I am planning on following Sustainer's strat for Gilgamesh and since this jackwagon has innate DW i would just need to find some elemental guns to make that work then he's a low damage non tmr having sealer. overall I don't like anything about FF0 and since I am not whaling out for Rem i guess i'm just wasting pulls for bonus units again :/ the TMR would be okay though I am close to a vestment already.

Once again good review though, i like your style of reviewing and while this one is harsh it appears justified.

Redtide and Memel0rd like this.
  14. liberlibri

liberlibri Arena Runner-Up S1 Arena Runner-Up S1

Leads:
    Glauca
    Is King the new Arena troll? Can you imagine a team of five of him auto-attacking SIX TIMES? I might just concede when it starts than sit through it.

Redtide likes this.
  15. spada

spada "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fryevia DV LMSakura Emperor DWTidus
    Sucks he'll only be useful for bonus during event. Oh well... here's me hoping i get enough of him and rem to finish farming in a week

16. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
    I already have an Useless Dual Wield Gun character.... MEDIUS.

I wont pull for another, if i get him on Dailies will be ok, but wont upgrade...

Memel0rd likes this.
  17. Asf

Asf Dead ace VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau
    He might not be that bad with fixed dice build (the highest dmging weapon ever). With that 3x normal attack passive, he will deal decent dmg.. not to mention he also have a critical rate +40% passive.
    70% atk passive is also 5 base worth of passive.
    His defensive stat isnt half bad either.
    Not dual wielding also meens he will be less annoying with his atk length.
    And If you also add killers with him, those multipliers could stack up real high when he does every one of his 3 attacks..
    A decent counter tank can be made with him.. or an evasion counter tank with added 20sided dice for more crit rates.. if you have the tm resource.

18. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    But I don't include many tmr's into my reviews unless that's game changing. Like aileen with her own tmr or Orlandeau with excalibur. But if you want me to, I can leave some "Side Notes" in and include the things you've said :) interesting at least to look at him this way, but be honest

A finisher with Fixed Dice would be better than King and you wouldn't use him either

Redtide likes this.
  19. LinzoReborn

LinzoReborn Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau
    ANOTHER twin gun using unit that's a piece of shit?

Square was is it with you and making units with dual pistols suck?

20. Calendor

Calendor Ascended Member

Use King together with Nine. PRO: both will get 500x multiplier. CON:eek:ne of them die, the other will die also.

YannC likes this.