1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Loren (Final Fantasy Brave Exvius)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Dragonl0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager Arena Runner-Up VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Tidus | JP: Dark Veritas
    A knight captain, once known in Grandshelt as the twin blade general. Being already retired, outside of being strict on her successive knights, she seems to be acquainted with Rain's father Raegen. After the attack of the Veritas, she became curious about their movements, only to appear as her youthful self.
    The former EX Point unit now gets available to all players! She has some very cool tools to play around with, so stick around! :)

QUICK UPDATE:
    Greased Lightning can not perfect chain with Dark Veritas, Orlandeau and e.Agrias!

Loren Review by Memel0rd
    dude.png
    In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Awesome Swordsman (Materia) - Allow use of weapons in both hands, except two-handed weapons
    Increase ATK (15%) when equipped with a katana
    Increase ATK (15%) when equipped with a sword
    Increase ATK (15%) when equipped with a dagger
    Increase ATK (15%) when equipped with a great sword

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3661 (+450) Mag: 125 (+30)
    MP: 155 (+75) Def: 120 (+30)
    Atk: 156 (+30) Spr: 125 (+30)

6* Limit Burst:
    Kingdom's Order (Base / 16 LB-Crysts): 15-Hit Physical damage (3x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies
    Decrease lightning and wind resistance (50%) for 3 turns to all enemies
    Enables access to following abilities for 3 turns:
    Swiftwind Blade (45 MP / 10-Hit) - Wind physical damage (4.5x) to one enemy
    Quickbolt Blade (45 MP / 1-Hit) - Lightning physical damage (2.25x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    Greased Lightning (50 MP / 8-Hit) - Physical damage (2.5x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    Kingdom's Order (Max / 16 LB-Crysts): 15-Hit Physical damage (4.2x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies
    Decrease lightning and wind resistance (74%) for 3 turns to all enemies
    Enables access to following abilities for 3 turns:
    Quickbolt Blade (45 MP / 1-Hit) - Lightning physical damage (2.25x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    Greased Lightning (50 MP / 8-Hit) - Physical damage (2.5x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy

5*: Lvl 20 Unhesitating Will (16 MP) - Increase resistance to ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR breaks (100%) for 3 turns to caster

5*: Lvl 44 Pressure (18 MP) - Remove all status effects from all enemies

5*: Lvl 60 Armor Eraser (48 MP) - Decrease DEF/SPR (45%) for 3 turns to all enemies

5*: Lvl 60 Arms Eraser (48 MP) - Decrease ATK/MAG (45%) for 3 turns to all enemies

5*: Lvl 75 Barrage (16 MP / D-Hit) - Physical damage combo (4 times, 0.8x each, 3.2x total) to random enemies

5*: Lvl 80 Full Break+ (45 MP / D-Hit) - Physical damage (1.5x) to one enemy
    Decrease ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR (45%) for 3 turns to one enemy

6*: Lvl 91 Blade Prison (45 MP / 10-Hit) - Physical damage (4x) to one enemy

6*: Lvl 100 Model of Ares (25 MP) - Increase ATK/DEF (50%) for 4 turns to caster
    Gain access to following abilities for 3 turns:
    5*: Lvl 1 Twin Blade General - Increase ATK/DEF/SPR (30%)
    Allow use of weapons in both hands, except two-handed weapons
    5*: Lvl 18 - HP + 30%
    5*: Lvl 30 Auto-Refresh - Recover MP (5%) per turn
    6*: Lvl 1 Leader of Knights - Increase resistance to blind, paralyze, and petrify (100%)
    6*: Lvl 12 Gap Closer - Chance to counter physical attacks (20%) with Full Break+
    6*: Lvl 24 Unbreakable Heart - Increase DEF (100%) when HP drops below 30%
    Increase SPR (100%) when HP drops below 30%
    6*: Lvl 53 Sword Mastery - Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a sword
    6*: Lvl 57 Auto-Regen - Auto-heal (120 HP, 0.6x) per turn
    6*: Lvl 78 High Tide - Increase LB gauge fill rate (100%)

Pros:
    Breaking and chaining
    , we've seen this before, right? Veritas of the Dark was an excellent example for this.
    But we have a new contender amongst the units, Loren!

Loren's base stats are overall great. Good HP/MP/DEF/SPR and high ATK, basically the allrounder split.
    Her passives contribute to this as well. Loren gains another 30% HP/DEF/SPR, 5% MP Refresh and 80% ATK with swords, which is really good. That makes her quite tanky, especially for a DPS. She also gets a small Auto-Regen, but that's nothing too wild.

The equipment selection will not be a problem for her since she wants to equip a sword anyway and afterwards ideally a great sword. But if you want to use something else, she can also equip Katanas, Daggers and Lances while being able to basically equip all armors she wants. You definitely can play around with that.

Loren also gets a blind, paralyze and petrify immunity, good enough. Not many armor pieces grant Paralyze or Petrify immunity, so there's that.

But as the fight continues and Loren receives damage, she not only has a 20% phys counter chance to 45% fullbreak the enemy, but also gets a 100% DEF/SPR buff once she drops below 30% HP. The self buff doesn't expire, so unless you have somebody like Soleil, this is a really good self buff currently. Also a free 45% fullbreak never hurts in most occasions.

The real deal with her passives is the innate Dual Wield all weapons. This opens up either a materia slot or an accessory slot, depending on your current gear, or as a beginner to make her really strong right off the bet. For beginners, her DW is accessable at lvl 1, so you can just go into the game, pull her and instantly equip her with two weapons.
    For veterans, it boosts her ATK a lot as you will see this later in the Best in Slot section.

Moving on to the active abilities, Loren is able to Dispel all enemies with Pressure, which is great. You rarely see this on a DPS unit and personally I really don't like using the AoE Dispel with Tilith since it basically wastes a turn for her where she could heal, so Loren can help you out a lot with this. Also besides Ayaka, AoE Dispel on healers is a rarity.

Then Warrior of Light.... wait, no, it's still Loren. Then Loren has either a 45% AoE DEF/SPR or ATK/MAG break, making her already a really good supportive unit AS DPS with an AoE Dispel and AoE Breaks, definitely handy tools that everybody can use.

But she takes a step further:
    Full Break+. This is an excellent ability, it's a ST 3 Turn 45% Fullbreak with small damage attached. But why is that small damage portion relevant?
    It means that Full Break+ will be used twice and there are some enemies, even if they aren't the most common ones, that have like 50% break resistance. So she gets to use this break twice, increasing your chances to hit the break. Great ability.

Blade Prison is a non elemental 10-Hit 400% chaining move, good enough. But that will not be the main point of her.
    You will use this ability maybe once or twice in a regular fight, because....

Loren has 100% hightide and her LB takes only 16 crysts to fill up. Which also means, that you can spam it.
    And your Limit Burst at the max level deals decent damage, decreases the enemy's Lightning AND wind resistance by 74% and also grants three different abilities for three turns.
    Swiftwind Blade is a 450% 10-Hit wind elemental chain, which is perfect for her since there are basically no wind weapons thus innate wind elemental is just good.
    Quickbolt Blade is a 450% finisher with innate lightning elemental, good enough if you need a finisher, but not the most important ability.
    Greased Lightning is a 500% 8-Hit non-elemental chaining move, which is great if you either want to make her a lightning chainer with the future Grom TMR or just any other elemental like fire.
    Her Limit Burst is a huge deal in her kit and I recommend you leveling it up.

Cons:
    Loren
    has a few problems and some useless or just bad abilities, which I will talk about in a second.

First up is her MP. While Loren has decent MP base stats and 5% MP refresh, she does not have any MP passives. And all her relevant moves cost a lot of MP, her breaks 45-48 MP, her chain moves 45-50 MP. You HAVE TO use some sort of MP regen with her on the team or you will run out of MP very fast.
    With her exclusive Accessory, that grants 15% HP/ATK and 5% MP regen, that makes her able to somewhat counteract her issue. It's good for beginners but I don't recommend that accessory for veterans.

Gap Closer
    does sound very nice, but now with Illusionist Nichol and other AoE Phys tanks I doubt you will proc it too often, which is my only complain about it.

Unhesitating Will is just bad, if it was an AoE version it'd be really good. But it's only for Loren , so a very selfish buff which makes it bad.

Model of Ares has a lot of issues in my eyes.
    It grants the same abilities as her Limit Burst, but I don't see any reason why you should use this.
    It only buffs your own ATK/DEF for 50% and grants these abilities. That's it.
    You could just use her chain move once or twice and from there on spam her Limit Burst, which grants these abilities as well WHILE dealing good damage AND imperilling.
    So I honestly don't think you should use that ability ever.

Quickbolt Blade in the current meta also has a pretty weak finisher mod, so be aware of that.

Side-Notes:
    Loren
    did not receive any enhancements yet, maybe because she was only obtainable with EX points in JP.
    Besides that, I highly recommend running somebody who has Rikku's Pouch equipped to make her Limit Burst more reliable.
    I also do not know about her chaining frames and if she moves since she's unobtainable for me in JP and basically nobody has her or has her as lead.

Arena:
    Loren
    is useless here because she doesn't have any AoE attacks besides her LB, which is capped at 999 damage. Don't use her.

Best in Slot:
    The build is non elemental since the options for wind or thunder damage currently are awful. In the future you can add Grom's TMR (3* base unit with 120 ATK thunder large sword).
    Onion Sword
    Save the Queen
    Prishe's Hat
    Demon Mail
    2x Desch's Earring
    Dark Knight's Soul
    SSP - Dark
    Large Sword Mastery
    Adventurer 5 / Proud Fencer

ATK with Bahamut:

Loren [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Veritas of the Dark
    • Loren has higher base ATK and 10% higher passives
    • Loren has better allround stats (besides MP)
    • Loren has innate Dual Wield
    • Loren has higher base modifiers and higher hits
    • Veritas of the Dark has innate dark imperil (50%)
    • Veritas of the Dark has chaining partners
    • Loren has a ST Fullbreak, Veritas of the Dark AoE (but costs more MP)
    • Veritas of the Dark has useful AoE buffs
    • Veritas of the Dark absorbs dark damage
    • Loren's LB imperils Wind/Lightning by 74%
    • Both have good status ailment protection
    I will assume that she can perfectly chain with a dupe of hers.
    Once you get into her Limit Burst rotation, Loren will outdamage Veritas of the Dark quite easily. And she also utilises better elements with either Lightning (in the future) or wind, which both are way better than the dark element.
    Besides that, she has overall better stats, she has a spammable LB that is really strong, she has innate Dual Wield.
    The only things she is lacking are chain partners and the AoE buffs. If you don't need either of both, Loren wins.
    If you need it, Veritas of the Dark wins.

Loren [​IMG]VS [​IMG] Tidus
    • Loren has slightly higher base ATK and 30% higher ATK passives
    • Loren has better allround stats
    • Loren has innate DW
    • Tidus has less base modifiers but higher hits
    • Tidus' LB can be spammed a lot more than Loren's
    • Tidus has a 100% water imperil
    • Both have great supportive aspects
    • Tidus has three innate killers
    Tidus with his awesome damage split, higher modifiers post LB and faster LB should be slightly better than Loren, but she comes pretty close. Like I said, I don't know about her frames and such, so I'm assuming she perfectly chains.
    Besides that, Loren has better allround stats, both have their respective support aspects and such.
    Since I don't know about the frames and am too busy currently running, I will put Tidus slightly above due to his overall higher modifiers, but I might be wrong.

Trust Master Reward:
    This TMR is amazing
    . Not for herself, but for others. Currently the choice will always be between Genji Glove and Amazing Swordsman with this.
    If you get it, farm it. It's also really really good if your ATK caps easily.

Conclusion:
    Loren
    is quite surprisingly a good unit.
    Having these really good breaks, good chaining abilities and the pretty high dual imperil makes her definitely a good unit at the moment.
    About her future proofness we can't know due to her JP side not having any enhancements.
    Though she isn't really a high priority unit. Many people have Tidus already and I don't know about her frames yet, so she might just be a horrible unit depending on it. Also the banner she is on is horrible as well, so even if she is not in the EX point anymore, she's still currently only for lucky persons or people who are willing to spend a lot of money on her.

@TLA 's: Should you Pull?

Character Design: 9/10
    Sprite: 9/10
    Chainer: 8.5-9/10
    Trust Master Reward: 9.5/10
    Arena: 1/10
    Limit Burst: 8.5/10
    Free 2 Play: 9.5/10
    Pay 2 Play: 9/10
    Personal Rating: 9/10
    Optimal Rating: 9/10

I wanna apologise quickly for the delays currently. Last weeks have been busy due to birthday stuff and school and now I have to write a bigger essay. Things will go back to normal next week once I handed the essay over.
    Again, I'm not going to quit the game or anything, am just a little busy in life currently :).
    I hope you enjoyed it, I did at least!

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Hero 英雄, Ilesh, danacol and 40 others like this.
  2. Zolin

Zolin Well-Known Member

Hi memelord, understand that he is ex pt exchange at jpn side. Would it be the same for global? I was waiting for him to be ex pt exchange but seem like dream shattered..

3. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Dragonl0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager Arena Runner-Up VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    No, you won't get her from EX points from what we know

4. Bryyce

Bryyce Ascended Member

Leads:
    2B
    She looks really good on paper but as you said it all depends on her chains and potential chaining partners. She will be pretty rare in the friend list so if she can only chain with herself it's bad.

JP players who have her, your thoughts? Thx

5. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    FFBE-Chains says she perfect chains with a dupe

6. theJanne

theJanne GIF Maker VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fry, OK, BSS, Yun, Tidus, Christine
    Great review mate. She seems interesting unit and pretty dope tmr, might do one 5k pull for her

Memel0rd likes this.
  7. Arnatuile

Arnatuile Wolf of Lapis Street Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Just a quick, not-necessarily-going-somewhere comment on Loren's TMR. It is, of course, better than DW, but there are a few things I would like to point out about it:

1) Some of the top and mid-to-high tier physical chainers already have innate DW: A2, 2B, OK, Loren, Nyx. Among physical finishers, Luneth has DW and Nyx and FV want FD anyway.
    2) The best magic or hybrid chainers (or finishers for what it matters) get either none or not that much of an advantage from Loren's TMR over a single DW and would still prefer Genji Gloves. Fryevia will get a bit more of ATK from Loren's TMR if you don't have GG to give her, but that's essentially irrelevant. Veritas of Light may or may not get a bit of ATK depending on how you equip her (that is, depending on whether you use L&A or not) and, again, the added 15% ATK is irrelevant. eTT of course does not need Loren's TMR.

So the mid-to-high tier chainers that I can see using Loren's TMR effectively over DW (again, assuming you don't have GG) are basically Orlandeau, DV and Tidus. Loren's TMR can be really good for them since, at least until they get their enhancements, it is not that easy to have them reach ATK cap with DW.

So, I guess that, if you really want me to make a point, Lorens TMR is certainly better than a plain DW, but in many scenario's it is actually not really (that much) better and not necessarily worth chasing at all.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Halcón Negro, Ariph, pdark and 4 others like this.
  8. Ashlag

Ashlag Lapislessl0rd Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    eTidus DW, eFry, or other cool stuff
    And if you are talking about far future, in those units Tidus will get TDH passive (I think DV too..? Anyway, this is 7* so 10 months from now :) )

This is a very, very, very, very good materia, but not that much of an improvement if you consider uber whale dimension, meta units and true BiS. Just like said right before me.
    I'm not trying to make it worse than it is, that's a crazy great TMR. But... be careful before sending in all your resources just for this TMR, banner is pretty much trash except her and her TMR::ink::

9. TheRunawayGirl

TheRunawayGirl HONK HONK VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Anything you might desire
    Someone was lying...
    Good review. Shame I won't pull. Unless she somehow comes before Ayaka, though.
    But I've got OK, so what do I knoe?

10. Lumina

Lumina Ascended Member Supporter

Great review. Was hoping you would say something about her lack of AoE attacks. Saw someone on reddit complaining about it, and it didnt make sense to me since we got other ST chainers like Fryevia, Orlandeau, Etc. I guess lack of AoE is just a niche, besides for Arena.

11. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Currently I don't care about AoE and ST damage anymore. That's a niche everybody has. E.g. Gilgamesh as best AoE finisher but thats mostly irrelevant.

AoE chains aren't always needed, pretty rare actually.

Lumina likes this.
  12. Absolem

Absolem Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    737 567 686
    Leads:
    Fry mostly, bonus units otherwise.
    Wouldn't she make a good partner for I.Nichol because of it ?

13. LinzoReborn

LinzoReborn Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau
    Well,glad to see Loren isn't a paid unit anymore.

I'm probably gonna have to skip this banner thou

Memel0rd likes this.
  14. nahuy87

nahuy87 Well-Known Member

Great review as always. But can you give some opinion about their future when 7* characters come to GL ?
    I heard that DV before 7* sucks post enhancement because of his doublehand. But now it makes him shine, isn't it? How about loren?

15. spada

spada Arena Runner-Up Arena Runner-Up Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fryevia DV LMSakura Emperor DWTidus
    Nice review as always, meme. Only thing i would point out is that along with Grom, there's Aura on the same banner, whose TMR is a 125 ATK Wind Lance. So, that coupled with VoH's TMR, would make for a good Wind build

Memel0rd likes this.
  16. Rem/Ais

Rem/Ais Well-Known Member

Interesting, but then you are wasting her potential as a damage unit because of all the gear to get her to 100% evade. If her only purpose on your team is to evade tank, counter with her Fullbreak, and apply her LB imperil, then she can potentially have a use as i.Nichol's redirect partner. And at this capacity, her MP problems are no longer an issue since ideally she will not have to use any MP abilities as long as you have other sources of damage and LB crystal generation within your team. The other cool thing about pairing Loren with i.Nichol is that she has the chance to slap her counter Fullbreak on all enemies if they are all using physical attacks.

So a 5 man team built around this idea would look like Loren, i.Nichol, healer, damage, damage. On harder 5 man content (like Halloween Nightmare), your damage units will have to bring AoE support/survival abilities (damage mitigation, high DEF/SPR buffs, elemental resistance, break resistance, MP regen, etc.) in order to ensure that you can survive magic/hybrid attack thresholds or not run out of MP, because your healer will most likely be locked into full time healing. This obviously gets more lenient on encounters without the "5 units only" missions or if you don't care for them, and should not be an issue for 10 man encounters.

Something to definitely consider and while its probably not the best way to use her, it is an interesting way to use Loren for people with i.Nichol and Onion Knight (provides a few great elemental resistance buffs and has a wind attack). Grim Lord Sakura and Ashe are also good choices for damage since they can cast Thundaja, but will have trouble keeping stacks up if they also need to cast support abilities. There may be others, but these are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

17. Klaus

Klaus "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Any top tier magical chainer. Really.
    SOLD.

I mean, the unit is not even here but oh boy, does she sound like a good add to my thunder team in-the-making.

Good review Memeboy.

18. Arnatuile

Arnatuile Wolf of Lapis Street Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Damn @Memel0rd, you are making people willing to pull even on horrible banners! At Gumi's headquarter they should really start thinking about hiring you for their PR team...

Ariph and Khidir like this.
  19. Klaus

Klaus "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Any top tier magical chainer. Really.
    That DW materia though...

20. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Dark Veritas doesn't suck post enhancements. They weren't just the best, but he's still overall really good, shines in 10 man trials as the best companion with Sephiroth or CG Reagan (before 7*).

His 7* is in my opinion one of the best. His LB with his own TMR becomes a 1300% 20 hit modifier with a sick AoE 74% ATK/DEF break and this LB is fairly easy to get. Also (have to test if its true but most likely) his Dark Punishment+2 has a 720% modifier without imperils now.
    And besides that, he has really strong overall stats. My DV does not have any pots besides 37/50 ATK pots and already has 10k HP, 400 def and 300 SPR. Dark Veritas still is one of my favorite units overall because he's just so god damn useful.
    Also he has a self buff (that has 4 turns cooldown) which grants him huge HP / MP regen, 220% all stat buff and 30% damage mitigation AND 7/18 LB Crysts. So yes, I love him.

GillyTheKid, Scheich and nahuy87 like this.