1. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

2. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Review: Maxwell (Brave Frontier)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Tidus Midi Staff Member Administrator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Tidus | JP: Tidus
    One of the Fallen Gods from another world where humans and gods share a history. According to legend, the Fallen Gods were divine beings who terrorized the world of Grand Gaia with their incredible power. As a Fallen God, Maxwell sought to take over the whole of Grand Gaia from her palace in St. Lamia. Having been tasked with the burden of resurrection, her ultimate goal was to destroy her world in order to rebuild it anew as its creator and mistress. The GL people are getting yet another chance of obtaining Maxwell as well as enhancing her to her 6* form. But is she any promising? Let's find out together, shall we?

Maxwell Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:

[​IMG]5*
    [​IMG]6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | Innate 50% Light resistance
    Trust Master Reward: Power of Creation (Materia) - ATK/MAG + 30%

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3655 (+390) Mag: 113 (+26)
    MP: 164 (+65) Def: 130 (+26)
    Atk: 154 (+34) Spr: 114 (+26)

5*: Lvl 32 - ATK + 30%
    5*: Lvl 73 Resurrection - Auto-Heal (1800 HP, 1x) per turn
    6*: Lvl 1 Bearer of Resurrection - Recover MP (5%) per turn ; Increase LB gauge fill rate (150%)
    6*: Lvl 50 Man-Eater - Increase physical damage against humans (50%)
    6*: Lvl 62 God's Authority - Increase light resistance (50%)
    6*: Lvl 75 - HP + 30%
    5*: Lvl 11 Nemesis (17 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (1.8x) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 41 Genesis (24 MP / 1-Hit) - Light physical damage (1.8x) to all enemies ; Inflict blind and disease (30%) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 80 Sacred Song (45 MP) - Increase ATK/DEF (80%) for 3 turns to caster ; Auto-revive (80% HP) for 3 turns to caster

6*: Lvl 21 Rune (24 MP / 1-Hit) - Light physical damage (2.1x) to all enemies ; Remove all status effects from all enemies

6*: Lvl 94 Creator's Breath (35 MP) - Cure all status ailments to all allies ; Increase resistance to all status ailments for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 100 Destiny (45 MP / 1-Hit) - Light physical damage (2x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy

6* Limit Burst:
    Endless (Base): 33-Hit Light magic damage (2.7x) to all enemies
    Endless (Max): 33-Hit Light magic damage (3.9x) to all enemies

Pros:
    Maxwell starts of with very high base stats. Her HP stat is really high for a DPS, her ATK is really high for a free unit. Also her DEF is a bit higher than the average DPS units. Really beautiful base stats. Maxwell's high HP also gets boosted by another 30% to amplify her survivability even more. Also she gets another ATK + 30%.

Quick note: For free to plays she is very appealing since we just recently got many Gungnirs for free and since she only can equip spears this is a really easy way to gear her up quite decently.

Her survivability even gets further increased. She does not only have a ~2000 heal per turn as regen, she also gets 5% innate MP refresh. Very good, since most battles tend to get longer and longer. Also innate MP refreshs always help your units if you do not have access to easy MP batteries. Also, Maxwell has a total of 100% Light resistance, not oftenly useful but when it's useful, it really helps since all light elemental attacks won't deal any damage. I cannot complain about that at all.

In the trait section there are also 2 things to point out. Maxwell gets an innate 50% Man-Killer, rather niche but still nice to have. On top of that, she gets a 150% LB gauge fillrate. That being said, yes, we can only get one Maxwell per account but if you can set up a friend Maxwell, they can spam their LB's like crazy. Her LB has innate light elemental and 33-Hit, this will lead to a HUGE chain (I think something around 60-70). The chain also has an insane time window to put finishers in, really easy chainers right here.

Moving on to the Abilities. Nemesis and Genesis are not the best anymore, but in case you need a non-elemental AoE Ability, Nemesis can do the job, since it's her only non-elemental ability.
    Rune is quite interesting, too. The mod of Rune is semi-decent, but it stands out becausse of its AoE Dispel. And since it's a damage ability I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it can also be used on your on allies. So it's basically Bushido Freedom with less MP costs, worse mod and innate Light Elemental.

Before I will talk about Destiny, I'd like to take a closer look at Sacred Song and Creator's Breath.

In the current Meta, an ATK/DEF 80% buff is still really good compared to the usual buffs (Attack Order / Embolden). But the more interesting part about Sacred Song is the self 80% Auto-Revive. Auto-Revives are generally really useful. I mean, yes, it's "only" to the caster, but if you want to apply as many auto-revives on your team with Vanille / Bartz / Rem, you won't need to "waste" a turn on Maxwell. It is niche right now, but I can see it come in usage in the near future.

Creator's Breath is very interesting, too. And unexpected to see on her. It's basically an AoE Esuna + Cure Petrification AND 3 turns 100% status ailment resistance AoE. This is really strong against all pesky status ailment trials / bosses e.g. Echidna. As long as you do not forget to keep applying the buff, you won't need to worry about your units being e.g. petrified.

Now it is time to talk about Destiny. It is basically a 4.x Mod with innate Light elemental. This really shows its power in light elemental teams most likely 2 Orlandeau chains. Maxwell can be a really decent finisher in Orlandeau comps. With the 50% light imperil from orlandeau it effectively has a 6x mod as finisher, not shabby at all. So if you lack a finisher and feel like doing some chains + finisher stuff, Maxwell is very easy to get for the most players and can really pack a punch.

Cons:
    The first thing standing out and mostly is the biggest con of her: She only has 30% ATK passives. If only she had higher ATK passives. Don't underestimate this.

Maxwell's innate ATK passives are her absolute biggest drawback. And even worse is that her equipment selection straight up sucks in addition to her ATK passives. She currently can't abuse any weapon masteries because of her only being able to wield Spears. Ugh, and the really strong spears are limited to Reberta and Elza (but elza is dark elemental).

Also, her LB sadly is magic based. I really want to know who thought that making her LB magic based is a good idea ?? Yes, her chain is still really huge, but the chain itself.... it will not really deal any damage, so do not expect crazy damage like Orlandeau's chains.

Maxwell is not only limited in her equipment selection, she also cannot really choose between elementals. Her only real elemental is Light, making her basically useless against every light resistance enemy. So unless you can run a strong light team, she will drop off really quickly.

Something to point out is, that her MP costs are quite high. Her Auto-Revive as well as her Destiny takes up 45 MP, Creator's Breath costs 35 MP. In the long run this might become a problem. Even with her innate MP refresh. So I recommend having something to refresh MP (e.g. Sozhe TMR or a MP battery).

Also, the usual suspect:
    No status ailment protection. This will only be a major problem though if the enemy ambushes you and can proc his / her status ailments on your team since Maxwell has an AoE resistance buff against these.

Side-Notes:
    Because of her really bad ATK passives Maxwell will drop off very fast in the Meta. Yes, we are getting Spear Mastery in the future, but since we cannot stack materias in GL, this will be another huge drop off.

Arena:
    She can be quite good in the Arena. She has AoE moves, Man-Eater and Status ailment heals / buffs. Also 100% innate light resistance to be immune to all those pesky Excalibur users. Her high Auto-Regen also helps her alot. Overall, not a bad Arena unit at all, especially her Auto-Revive can be really annoying. So feel free to use her alongside her high HP.

Comparison: Sozhe (Finisher)
    [​IMG]

- Maxwell has higher ATK base stats while Sozhe has 20% higher passives
    - Sozhe has a way better equipment selection
    - Sozhe is way bulkier than Maxwell
    - Sozhe has 2 killers instead of 1
    - Sozhe's mods are worse but can also decrease the enemies fire resistance by himself
    - Both are restricted to one elemental
    - Maxwell has way higher supportive aspects and AoE dispel instead of ST

Overall, for a 1v1 scenario I'd give this one to Sozhe. He has higher ATK passives, can abuse weapon masteries, can reduce the enemies fire resistance by himself thus making him not reliant on somebody like Orlandeau and also has 2 different Killers that are way more useful in general. Also he has way higher HP and also 50% def on top of that.

Comparison: Cupid Artemios (Finisher / Limited)

[​IMG]

- C.Artemios' Atk base is horrible
    - Both have similar tankyness tho Maxwell has WAY higher HP
    - C.Artemios can suicide cover for a female unit
    - C.Artemios has 100% ATK passives with a bow or 80% ATK passives with DW
    - C.Artemios has a way larger variety of Killers and also more useful ones (especially with Killer Bow)
    - Maxwell has higher mods as well as better supportive aspects
    - C.Artemios' imperil debuffs the enemies dark resistance....

I'd still give this one to C.Artemios. It's not a really high diference, but Artemios will just have way higher ATK overall and also his killers just proc way more often than Man-Eater. Though Maxwell can easily win the unit slot if you want an Auto-Revive or the AoE Dispel OR the AoE Status ailment resistance. So in this case it depends wether you want a bit more DPS or overall more usefulness. In terms of pure finishing, Artemios wins.

Comparison: Kelsus (Finisher / Free)
    [​IMG]

- Both have similar tankyness
    - Both have the same ATK passives tho Maxwell's base ATK is higher
    - Kelsus can't do shit without his LB
    - After Kelsus' LB he becomes really strong even better than the previous comparisons
    - Kelsus has innate DW
    - Kelsus can abuse knuckles with Champion Belts
    - Kelsus overall has a larger variety of equipment selection

I'd give this one to Kelsus. Not because of his innate DW, but since after his LB he has a total of 184% ATK "passives", making his ATK overall somewhat comparable to Meta DPS units as well as his 5x Mod is really strong as a finisher. His only huge problem is, that he is limited to his LB to be useful. That being said, he will at least take 2-3 turns to get it, so it's very slow. Also he has no supportive aspects really, so....

Comparison: Yda (DPS / Free / + exclusive Equipment)
    [​IMG]

- Both have the same ATK passives tho Yda's base atk is way worse
    - Yda has similar HP passives but has a way worse HP base
    - Yda has innate dodge chances increasing her survivability
    - Yda has very strong debuffs while Maxwell has Auto-Revive, AoE Dispel and AoE Status Ailment Resistance buff
    - Yda needs a lot of time to become powerful
    - Yda can abuse Knuckles

I'd give this one actually to Maxwell. Yda cannot DW her strongest abilities as well as it takes a lot of time to get there. Though Yda can be a very solid breaker. It kind of depends what you need in your team. Do you need a breaker with side DPS? Go for Yda. Do you need a tanky DPS with good supportive aspects? Go for Maxwell.

Trust Master Reward:
    Really good TMR, go for it! 30% ATK is always useful as well as MAG+30% make it quite versatile to either equip on a mage or a physical attacker as well as hybrid units.

Conclusion:
    Maxwell is really really interesting as a free unit. I will be definitely pleased to finally get her. She has a very interesting kit as well as some easy to get niche uses. Her DPS is also quite neat for a free unit. And her TMR, yes, definitely worth grabbing. But Maxwell has obvious flaws that draw her back quite strong, so keep that in mind.

Character Design: 8/10
    Sprite: 8/10
    Chainer: 7.5-8/10 (with her LB)
    Finisher: 6.5-7.5/10
    Free 2 Play: 8/10
    Pay 2 Play: 5.5-6/10
    Personal Rating: 7/10
    Optimal Rating: 6.5/10

Maxwell can be useful, don't think she's just another trash F2P unit that nobody needs. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed and as always, leave a like if you did as well as if you want to support me, feel free to follow. Have a nice day!

Memel0rd out

JMR, Frankii, ejx220 and 31 others like this.
  2. Griffith

Griffith Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Dis gud gud gg [​IMG]
    ::rudecat5::

Parade and Memel0rd like this.
  3. Barroth

Barroth Excessivlipoor VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Take your pick
    I remember her being horrible in the arena with the 2k auto regen.

sadaharu, Parade and Memel0rd like this.
  4. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Can be quite annoying, yes :D

LAFORGUS and Griffith like this.
  5. Ashlag

Ashlag Lost wanderer in his own psyche.. VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2, 1k atk ligh or fire element mostly
    I'll give her some love.... It was the only mission I failed back then, and god I spent soooo much NRG on her trying again and again. This time, I'll get her, and I'll put her at use. I start to have a whole bunch of useful weird dispel, between twist of fate, dispelga, bushido, rune, all the little dispel and fingersnap. That is getting interesting in term of composition modulation.
    And I think she can take an interesting spot in my arena team, in weeks without black magic or DC.

6. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I could not clear Maxwell Trial at all back then, I always fainted on like turn 3-4. + I was pretty bad tbh.

Now I need to prepare something to fill up my esper gauge easily without killing her if they did not buff the trial.

Fenix808, Rrazza, LAFORGUS and 2 others like this.
  7. TheRunawayGirl

TheRunawayGirl Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    OK, eMarie, Luneth
    Interesting unit despite the light elemental restriccion. I wasn't able to get her the first time, so I hope they do the same thing they did before (Trial), although it will be more difficult, I believe.
    Nontheless, it's a strong DPS for F2P, and it's definitely a good unit until you get someone like Landu, Aileen or Fryevia (becuz they're not limited XP)

Memel0rd likes this.
  8. Farron

Farron Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    083 439 625
    Leads:
    Dank Veritas
    Like many have said before, I too failed that trial. I don't even think 5 star base units were a thing back then. Now that I have a much stronger team, getting her shouldn't be an issue. Also, I REALLY need a chainer of some sort as all my DPS units are finishers (Luneth and Gilgamesh).

Your reviews are as always extremely insightful and helpful. You're doing God's work!

Parade and Memel0rd like this.
  9. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Thank you very much, farron!

I really hope you can get her this time around, Welp, if they didnt buff it I'm sure. :)

LAFORGUS, Parade and Griffith like this.
  10. Farron

Farron Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    083 439 625
    Leads:
    Dank Veritas
    I get this feeling they might not buff it. Just looking at the reoccurring events (Crystal Tower and Tower of Babel), Gumi left the difficulty untouched. This event seems to be the same as it originally appeared way back then.

But then again...

Memel0rd likes this.
  11. Arnatuile

Arnatuile Romancing Sage Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Thanks for the review. I was wondering, do you think Maxwell's LB can chain with DW Orlandeau decently (getting something like two 14-hit chains)?

12. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I do not know currently, sorry. I will try once I can grab her. :) maybe @Jose might be able to help you out (+like my review Jose <.< ::rudecat5::)

Griffith, LAFORGUS and Arnatuile like this.
  13. roger_muahhh

roger_muahhh Active Member

Does the 100% Status Ailments protect your party from Charm? Like even if they come from other units, like Ilias too?

Memel0rd likes this.
  14. TheRunawayGirl

TheRunawayGirl Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    OK, eMarie, Luneth
    Stop and Charm are two ailments that cannot be cured nor resisted. Until Ayaka comes to GL, I don't believe that is possible

Memel0rd likes this.
  15. Ashlag

Ashlag Lost wanderer in his own psyche.. VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2, 1k atk ligh or fire element mostly
    Just like was said right before me. The "ailment" status of stop and charm can be quite controversial, as they more look like buffs/debuffs and not really ailments. Just like you can protect yourself from breaks, you need specific skills to protect from charm/stop, as they are not in the ailment display either.

Memel0rd likes this.
  16. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Event/Olive/2B 1.1K ATK
    Good but i don't have her, if i get her i will come back to discuss.

I can say one thing, after DW, Power of Creation is the best Shit to have.

Memel0rd likes this.
  17. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Struggler VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2 Olive OK Tidus
    Isn't Yda now much better DPS, tho? She only needs 3 turns, then she becomes a monster with DW Perfect Unbalance.

Memel0rd likes this.
  18. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    It's fixed from what I've heard

Griffith and Parade like this.
  19. Kosiciel

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2 Olive OK Tidus
    Only for Hybrids ;)

20. Kosiciel

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2 Olive OK Tidus
    I will have to test it somewhere, then. Mats wasted on awakening :confused: Thx for info!

Memel0rd likes this.