1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Mystea (Final Fantasy Brave Exvius)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Dragonl0rd returns Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Nalu | JP: Hyou
    A mage from the Dragon's Village of Paladia. Mystea comes from a long line of barrier mages, a type of magic outside the realm of black and white magic that only a few people are able to wield. Currently she hides her identity under a visor, and rumor has it that only a handful of the villagers have ever seen her true identity.
    MISTAIR WOOO, wait, it's Mystea? Why? Dammit japanese translations :p
    Yes, Mystea was actually Mistair in JP, so a slight difference.

Mystea Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 4*
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Barrier Master (Materia) - Increase DEF/SPR (15%)
    Increase resistance to all elements (15%)

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3324 (+390) Mag: 117 (+26)
    MP: 201 (+85) Def: 122 (+26)
    Atk: 105 (+26) Spr: 150 (+26)

6* Limit Burst:
    Field of Resistance (Base / 20 LB-Crysts): Decrease damage taken (30%) for 3 turns to all allies
    Increase SPR (70%) for 3 turns to all allies
    Field of Resistance (Max / 20 LB-Crysts): Decrease damage taken (42%) for 3 turns to all allies
    Increase SPR (94%) for 3 turns to all allies

4*: Lvl 60 Mind Fortress (24 MP) - Increase SPR (80%) for 2 turns to all allies except caster

5*: Lvl 80 Reinstate (28 MP) - Recover HP (100%) to caster
    Remove ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR breaks from caster

6*: Lvl 33 Clear Veil (36 MP) - Increase resistance to all status ailments (100%) for 3 turns to all allies
    Increase resistance to stop (100%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 40 Reinforce (20 MP) - Remove ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR break from caster
    Increase DEF/SPR (50%) for 3 turns to caster

6*: Lvl 66 Destination (32 MP) - Increase SPR (100%) for 3 turns to caster
    Mitigate damage taken (20%) for 2 turns to caster

6*: Lvl 88 Dualcast (0 MP) - Use magic twice in one turn

6*: Lvl 100 Triteleia Wall (20 MP) - Chance to protect all allies from magic damage (50%) with damage mitigation (50% physical, 50% magic) for 3 turns to caster
    4*: Lvl 7 Magic Barrier - Chance to protect one ally from magic damage (30%) with damage mitigation (50% physical, 50% magic)
    4*: Lvl 34 Physical Barrier - Increase DEF (30%)
    Auto-buffs SPR (20%)
    5*: Lvl 11 - MP + 30%
    5*: Lvl 22 Camouflage - Decrease chance of being targeted (50%)
    6*: Lvl 1 Spiritual Barrier - Increase SPR (30%)
    Auto-heal (120 HP, 0.6x) per turn
    4*: Lvl 7 Dispel (7 MP) - Remove all status effects from one enemy
    5*: Lvl 24 Protectga (24 MP) - Increase DEF (40%) for 3 turns to all allies
    5*: Lvl 24 Shellga (24 MP) - Increase SPR (40%) for 3 turns to all allies

Pros:
    Mystea
    is such a blessing currently.
    She starts off with decent base stats. Very high MP, decent enough HP, ok-ish DEF and high SPR. This will help you later on, but Mystea also has 30% MP/DEF/SPR, so she really won't run into many MP problems. Boosting her defensive stats is something you are going to look forward to!

Mystea has Auto-Shell and Auto-Regen, both aren't really the best traits but honestly, it's for free. So if she dies and gets back up, she still has a SPR boost. And gets minor healing after every turn.
    Besides that, she has a 50% camouflage, which is a really sneaky addition in her kit. I will explain that later on to you!

A really good trait that Mystea has, is Magic barrier. It's basically the opposite of all the Cover passives, since it's a 30% chance to cover a random ally from all magic damage with 50% damage mitigation. With camouflage, the chances will be higher that she is not the one that gets hit, so higher chance to proc it overall. For fights with magic ambushs, this can be a gamechanger. We will get a trial soon, where you are going to rely on this...

Mind Fortress is a surprisingly strong buff. It's a 2 Turn AoE except caster 80% SPR buff. This is great for emergency occasions. Generally we have better buffs, but sometimes something bad happens to your buffer and you really need to reapply a buff, this could be the buff that makes you survive. But overall outdated.

You know that moment when your healer is busy raising other units or wanting to use something else , like Ayaka's Reraise? I'm sure everybody ran into that moment. Mystea luckily can recover her whole HP fully and also remove all debuffs from herself, this is a great tool to make her self-sustainable!

An AoE 3 turn Ribbon AND stop resistance? You can have that! Mystea's Clear Veil does all this and it just works amazingly against situations where you need it. And it's on a 4* as well, so you don't have to look after Ayaka to get stop resistance! Great tool for niche fights.

Mystea has Dual Cast. Her own spells aren't the absolute best, Protectga and Shellga are outdated, so why is this important?
    You can equip many bar-xy-ra spells on her and Curaga if you have it. Or the esper's Cura. For emergency healing, this works out well enough because Mystea wants to stack as much SPR as possible anyway. So you don't lose out on that! Makes her a bit more versatile, but there are better options.

Mystea's Limit Burst on the max level can be quite good. It's a 3 Turn AoE 42% damage mitigation AND 94% SPR buff. I actually suggest you maxing it because it will decrease the damage over the whole fight a lot. Just run somebody with Rikku's Pouch and you should get that within three turns.

"But M-M-Meme, why is Mystea so good?"
    Shh, I will tell you.
    AoE 50% Magic Cover. Yes, you heard right! Mystea is our very first AoE Magic Tank! This makes her instantly one of the best units in the game right now since a lot of content will focus on heavy magic attacks from now on.
    To be more precised, Triteleia Wall is a 3 Turn 50% Chance AoE magic cover for each ally with a 50% hidden damage mtigation, Camouflage can help a lot since it will also proc on ST magic attacks on different allies. This is such a great ability, I can not tell you how much Mystea will make your life easier.

Cons:
    Though Mystea won't be spared from the cons section just because she has great abilities!

Her base HP is low-ish, but not in a critical range. However, Mystea has absolutely no HP passives, which is a big bummer as a tank. You really have to focus on that to get it high up or she will most likely soak up the magic nuke and instantly die, which isn't the worst if you have Ayaka's Reraise, but not everybody does. So focus hard on HP and SPR!

Mystea sadly doesn't have any innate Hightide or Auto-LB passives, not the worst since it's still very easy to get with some set up, but could have been better.

Her ability Destination is more of a bait. It increases your own SPR by 100% and grants a 20% damage mitigation buff. But a simple guard will have the same effect basically and better, since it will stack with other mitigation buffs (e.g. from Mystea's LB) and other SPR buffs. So Guard is almost always better.

Reinforce is the same. It removes all debuffs from her and increases DEF/SPR for... 50%.... You won't use that really, just skip it.

There is not much to criticise Mystea for since she is our very first Magic Tank and can do her job quite well. Outside of the lack of great traits, she doesn't bring innate status ailment protection, but she has that AoE Ribbon + Stop resistance buff to make up for it. Her LB has no hightides but is still relatively easy to get in a 3 turn rotation and has a great effect. The real con about her is the lack of high HP, which can be fixed once you grab some TMRs. I feel like everything from now on would be complete Nitpicking.

Nitpicking:
    No. Don't convince me to! YOU CAN'T FORCE IT.

Side-Notes:
    There have been no enhancements for Mistair in JP yet and with the current 6* meta and other Magic Tanks like Basch and Awakened Rain and the new Mercenary Ramza 7*, Mistair still does her job if needed.
    About her future proofness..... Yes, she will remain great for a very very long time. I still see people using her with a lot of success in the current meta, for 3* esper battles you just have to heavily focus on elemental resistance and be completely fine.
    Mystea will stay relevant for a long time, which makes her an even more worthwhile unit to pull for. And she is still only a 4* unit!

Arena:
    As usual, tanks in the arena don't do much besides wasting a unit slot. However, if you want the status ailment resistance + stop resistance for your whole team, Mystea might be the unit to go with that. So she is more niche than good, but still has something to offer!

Best in Slot:
    Good mix of HP and SPR, NOT including Pirate Jake's TMR
    Holy Wand (120 SPR)
    Gladio TMR (70 DEF, 35 SPR, 15% HP)
    Aria's Ribbon (15 DEF, 45 SPR, 15% MP)
    Rainbow Robe (45 DEF/MAG/SPR , 30% all element resistance but dark)
    Arsha's Talisman 2x (40% HP, 20% DEF/SPR)
    Thirst of Survival (30% HP/SPR)
    Wicked Moon Staff Mastery (50% SPR)
    Rasler TMR (30% HP, 20% DEF)
    Equip L Shields

Stats with Bahamut:
    8049 HP
    445 DEF
    714 SPR

Mystea [​IMG] VS Nobody

There is no unit comparable to Mystea currently as she is our only Magic AoE Tank! Sorry.

Trust Master Reward:
    This is.... rather bad. If you are going to aim for elemental resistance, Garnet will serve you a lot better with 20% all resistance per materia. Thus, if you aim for these resistances, you are aiming to nullify the damage. And even if they would still deal some, I doubt that Mystea's TMR would change it much. So it's an ok TMR, nothing too good.

Conclusion:
    Mystea
    is a must pull. Why?
    Because she is our only magic tank and that for a longer time.
    There isn't much to say besides that, she isn't the tankiest, she doesn't have the absolute best supportive aspects, BUT they work out like they are intended to. Especially her Limit Burst grants quite a bit survivability over different limit bursts to your Limit Burst.
    Go for her, even if the rest of the banner is absolute trash.

Character Design: 8/10
    Sprite: 7.5/10
    Tank: 9/10
    Trust Master Reward: 5/10
    Arena: 6/10
    Limit Burst: 8/10
    Free 2 Play: 8.5/10
    Pay 2 Play: 9/10
    Personal Rating: 9/10
    Optimal Rating: 9/10

[On-Banner Reviews]
    new

[​IMG] Duke Review (5*)

This unit, I want her! Give me her! Actually I don't need her currently, but she'd help. And for the future, she is for many a must have unit unless you have beastly set ups. And I'm sure almost everybody will try to get her, so I wish you good luck!
    And tell me what you think about the On-Banner review links!

Have a nice day!

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. Forza971sbh

Forza971sbh Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fire Hyoh / eDragonlord
    nice one....

had hard time pulling her (really hard time) but... finally... now i have to figure out how to gear her...
    isn't there a problem w/ her bis?.. she can't equip shields without the appropriate TMR :)

3. Carnefix

Carnefix Newsl0rd Staff Member Moderator Arena Runner Up S2 VIP Supporter German Moderator Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    416 022 660
    Leads:
    TDH Hyoh, Nyx, Tidus
    She can't equip Shields:

4. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Dragonl0rd returns Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Woops, forgot the Equip L shields materia.

5. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    fixed

Carnefix likes this.
  6. Pandaranda

Pandaranda VIP VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fry, DV, BSS, Yun, TT
    140ish
    Yaaaay so glad I got her without too much hassle! :)
    So does this mean I should finally moogle up Marie’s tmr XD?

Fenix808 and Goddess Nyx like this.
  7. Cherub

Cherub Fact: CKA is #3 Healer VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    dwTidus, eFry, A2, Charming Kitty Ari
    I'm in same boat as you lol. Have no idea really how to gear her but I've had Rainbow Robe sitting forever.

Goddess Nyx likes this.
  8. Jeany1234

Jeany1234 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth 1077 ATK
    Does iNichole change some of those things? Or is his skill only AoE physical damage? Sorry to ask but the wiki is not working right now... D:
    For example running Wilhelm with iNichole would make Mystea not needed? Of course takes another unit slot but I just love Wilhelm :( (and his moustache is kind of ok too... :D)

Otherwise great review again :)

9. theJanne

theJanne GIF Maker VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fry, OK, Yun, Tidus, Olive
    Okay, this made me laugh too much :D

I just hope I can get her asap without using lapis

Theuteks likes this.
  10. Pandaranda

Pandaranda VIP VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fry, DV, BSS, Yun, TT
    140ish
    Yeah I keep finding other tmrs to focus on even though I know rainbow robe is one of the best robes ^^;;

Really wish Crowe would show up though, she still evades me... basically Shine 2.0 for me XD (took 6 months of playing before I landed a single Shine)

11. Galadraw

Galadraw Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Pulled 2 so far, but I'm out of goddamn LB pots so that is slowing me down...

12. architect

architect Fairy Member VIP Supporter

Her sprite with those barrier is just good enough for me to try to pull her ::=3::
    And I got her within 5 tix and one 10+1tix pulls :D

Goddess Nyx likes this.
  13. Ashlag

Ashlag FFVII Machinabrigded. Go watch it. It's amazing. Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A fairly okay Hyoh, other cool stuff
    Still a little weird, ain't it ? ::ink::
    GReat job though.

14. Forza971sbh

Forza971sbh Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fire Hyoh / eDragonlord
    minerva bustier is a good second choice imho ;)

Poots and frithsblessing like this.
  15. Ferax

Ferax Be excellent to each other & party on dudes! VIP Supporter

Hey Meme, do you think Aria’s ribbon would be slightly better on her than trick hat for BIS?

frithsblessing likes this.
  16. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    wooops

17. victor sant

victor sant "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    437 540 226
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Olive
    Finally I can do bahamut without some stupid pre-battle preparation. Just AoE cover turn 1 and unleash DC Chaos Wave with Draco Spike.

18. syren555

syren555 "Hall of Fame" Member

Leads:
    A2, tidus, Olive,
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  19. Koubo

Koubo Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Chritine|A2|GLS|Barbie
    Heyo (again) Mr @Memel0rd :)
    Cool to see that review, even if it's a "no surprises" (i read a lot about her on reddit)

~20 Tixx to get her, first banner where i pull all the unit featured (and a barbie with them) :)
    I can't wait to see how she will change my life :D (and i have to grabe some TMR for her) she is instant in my Lvling team! wut i can't wait...

20. Eredar

Eredar Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TDH Lid
    Yay. Got her after 2 Tickets, i'm really glad cause i heard so much good about her. Now i only need to get a few more TMs and have the BiS Setup ready.
    Thx for the review Meme, had all the Infos i needed ::rudecat11::

Jamal likes this.