1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Papalymo (Final Fantasy XIV)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Error 404: Long beard not found Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Auron | JP: Akstar
    A Lalafell man appearing in tales from Eorzea, a region in the faraway land of Hydaelyn. As one of the Scions of the Seventh Dawn, he is in charge of surveying the forest capital Gridania with his colleague Yda. Hailing from Sharlayan, a city of scholars, he is highly intelligent, particularly so in aetherial studies. More sharp-tongued and critical than he would appear, he often speaks harshly to his partner Yda. And Yda won't respond to him since Papalymo needs to git gud. Today we're talking about one of the 2 free units from the FF14 Raid, Papalymo.

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG]4*
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Sage's Prajna (Materia) - HP + 10% ; MAG + 20%
    Exclusive Equipment:
    Scion Thaumaturge's Monocle
    Golden Eye
    Scion Thaumaturge's Robe

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 2832 (+390) Mag: 144 (+34)
    MP: 171 (+65) Def: 110 (+26)
    Atk: 108 (+26) Spr: 116 (+26)

6*: Lvl 18 - MP + 20%
    6*: Lvl 53 - MAG + 30%
    4*: Lvl 60 Convert (10 MP) - Recover MP (9999) to caster ; Decrease HP to 1 to caster
    5*: Lvl 40 Apocatastasis (6 MP) - Increase SPR (50%) for 3 turns to one ally except caster
    5*: Lvl 58 Manawall (24 MP) - Damage mitigation (20%) for 5 turn to caster
    6*: Lvl 100 Swiftcast - Use black magic twice in one turn
    4*: Lvl 10 Sleep (3 MP) - Inflict sleep (40%) to one enemy
    4*: Lvl 22 Blizzara (9 MP / 1-Hit) - Ice magic damage (1.4x) to all enemies
    4*: Lvl 36 Scathe (5 MP / 1-Hit) - Magic damage (1x) to one enemy
    4*: Lvl 43 Fira (9 MP / 1-Hit) - Fire magic damage (1.4x) to all enemies
    4*: Lvl 51 Thundara (9 MP / 1-Hit) - Lightning magic damage (1.4x) to all enemies
    5*: Lvl 21 Firaga (20 MP / 1-Hit) - Fire magic damage (1.8x) to all enemies
    5*: Lvl 33 Blizzaga (20 MP / 1-Hit) - Ice magic damage (1.8x) to all enemies
    5*: Lvl 80 Thunderga (20 MP / 1-Hit) - Lightning magic damage (1.8x) to all enemies
    6*: Lvl 1 Astral Fire (10 MP / 1-Hit) -Fire magic damage (0.8x) to one enemy ; Increase MAG (50%) for 3 turns to caster
    6*: Lvl 39 Astral Blizzard (10 MP / 1-Hit) - Ice magic damage (0.8x) to one enemy ; Refresh MP (60) split over 3 turns to caster
    6*: Lvl 74 Flare (23 MP / 1-Hit) - Fire magic damage (2.3x) to one enemy ; Decrease water resistance (30%) for 3 turns to one enemy

Limit Burst:
    Enochian Thunder (Base): 1-Hit Thunder magic damage (5x) to all enemies
    Enochian Thunder (Max): 1-Hit Thunder magic damage (7.4x) to all enemies

Pros:
    Papalymo is a free unit with innate black magic dual cast. This is amazing for any new player joining the game having access to a semi-decent mage with innate DC.

Papalymo has a decent enough MAG stat with good enough MP for his magic spells. He even supports that further with his MP and MAG passives, which are surprisingly good for a free to have unit. His other stats are ok-ish tho, but let's not forget that he is a free unit.

Papalymo also has access to a self 5-turn 20% damage mitigation, which can get quite handy for him, since mages don't tend to take a lot of hits. Pretty good duration with a pretty cheap mana cost. Nice to have for a free unit.

Papalymo has something really good for beginners. He can buff his own MAG by 50%, gain access to 20 MP per turn for 3 turns and these buffs are applied while dealing some damage. For newer players who don't have access to any MP regens and buffs, this is really really good. Again Astral Fire / Blizzard really amplify his free unit design, which I think is pretty cool.

He also has good enough elemental coverage with the 3 main -ga spells (fire, ice and thunder). Papalymo also can use Flare, which is basically a stronger Firaga but Single Target. So against single bosses, this is a good enough step up from Firaga and can even be used somewhat frequently with the constant usage of Astral Fire / Blizzard. You can even just DC Astral Fire into Flare, so he will deal way more damage compared to Astral Fire into Astral Blizzard.

His LB is also really strong for free units. His base LB is amazing for a free unit, since it's a 5x mod. His max MAG mod he can acquire through dual casting is 4.6x, so even if his LB is not lvl'd up, it still will be the highest damage dealing option he can use. Amazing for beginners.

His exclusive equipment also is pretty good for newish players, since he gains way more HP, a decent +88 MAG rod (compared to the free wizard rod, it has 16 more MAG).

Cons:
    Sadly, Papalymo is a free unit. So if you are reading this review as a experienced player, you already know Papalymo is pretty bad in comparison to actual mages. If you are reading this as a beginner, I really hope I don't destroy your picture of him, for starter purposes he is really good.

The cons will only apply if seen as an actual unit in the current meta.

In the current meta, Papalymo's HP is awful, his def stats are bad and his MAG is average. He doesn't get any HP passives or really strong MAG passives, but 30% is still ok.

Papalymo has no really strong abilities or magic spells. His strongest spell is Flare, which is in the current meta not strong anymore. Since GL already has many mages that have access to high damage dealing abilities and many mages who can DC Meteor or Ultima, Flare is just below average and should not be considered a good spell. Papalymo cannot even support the Flare theme, since he has no water damage in his kit involved, so the water imperil from Flare is useless to him.

His Manawall also is somewhat awful since it's ST to the caster (/ himself). If it was AoE, the ability would be somewhat decent actually, but sadly it's ST and thus making it pretty bad.

His elemental coverage also is not good anymore. Just like lightning, having only the 3 main elementals (fire, ice and thunder) is just not good anymore and there are way stronger spells than the elemental -ga spells.

He also has no status ailment protection, making him vulnerable to them with Silence, Stone, paralyze and confusion as his main "dangers".

Arena:
    Papalymo can be OK in arena because of his DC Black magic and damage being capped at 999. Feel free to add him to your Arena squad if you lack mages.

Comparison: Sakura (Free)
    [​IMG]

- Sakura is a 5* max
    - Both have innate DC Black Magic
    - Sakura has really good supportive aspects (50% ele res to fire, thunder, ice // 20% AoE damage mitigation // -40% thunder imperil)
    - Sakura has way higher mods with DC Thundaja (6x Mod at max -> 12x Mod with DC)
    - Papalymo has way higher MAG
    - Papalymo with his exclusive equipment has way higher HP and MP
    - Sakura's main Damage is thunder while Papalymo has 3 different elemental spells to offer

It just comes down to the question: Do you want damage or survivability?
    In terms of survivability, I'd give this one to Sakura. AoE 20% damage mitigation, AoE 50% Ele res to 3 elementals and AoE confuse / blind resist is really good for a free to have unit.
    Also, her Mods are way higher but need 3 turns to be maxed out.
    In terms of damage, I think Papalymo wins. His exclusive equipment and way higher MAG stat should make him deal more damage. If not, correct me please.

Comparison: Mages
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sadly, Papalymo will lose to all of them. All current meta mages have higher MAG stats, higher mods, way better survivability, niche tools to use, etc. That is understandable tho, since they are not free to have and you need to summon for them in order to get a mage like e.g. Trance Terra.

Trust Master Reward:
    Since this one is a free TMR, grab as many Papalymo TMR's as you can. Those TMR's are beatiful f2p TMR's and with the "upcomming" TMR enhancement of the FFXIV TMR's, it gets up to +15% HP , +25% MAG, which is just great for a free to have trust master.

My Conclusion: (Free)
    As a free unit, Papalymo serves his purpose. He is good enough to get players into the game without using up much recources while doing so. I really like him for that and I recommend any player, who is just joined, use him if you don't have a real mage.

My Conclusion:
    Compared to every other mage he generally is bad. So if you are at least a bit more experienced and have somebody like Exdeath, stop using him unless you still need to fill up a unit slot with a mage.

Character Design: 5/10
    Sprite: 8/10
    Chainer: 1/10
    Finisher: 3/10
    Personal Rating: 7/10 , appreciate him being a beginner unit
    Optimal Rating: 3/10 , in real team comps, he is bad

As I said earlier, I like GUMI / ALIM for putting up units to help new players. Please use him if you don't have better.

Hope you enjoyed and have a nice day!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Gwailoh13, JMR, Redtide and 15 others like this.
  2. Tiamant

Tiamant Well-Known Member

Excellent job as always memel0rd ::rudecat5::

Redtide and Memel0rd like this.
  3. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Error 404: Long beard not found Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Merci, Danke, Gracias ::rudecat5::

4. Resnesky

Resnesky Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Nalu, Lilith, Malphie, Barbie, TT
    A bit too much of "Free unit" for my taste. We got it.
    Yshtola is also free though one of the best healer of GL version. :P
    Sadly, since there is no TMR moogle in this raid, his TMR isn't "that" free.

Anyway, thanks for reviewing this guy. Let's hope I pull a hundred of him.

Memel0rd likes this.
  5. Somno

Somno Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Esther
    No TMR moogle for the raid?! Disappointed....::ink::

6. Zenakh

Zenakh Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Emperor
    His Astral spells actually look pretty fun. Shame they arn't on a useable unit.

7. Exeon

Exeon Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive, Orlandeau or Event Unit
    Something that's worth pointing out in my opinion is that Papalymo is perfectly accurated to his original game where he is a Thaumaturge/Black Mage.

In XIV Thaumaturges/Black Mages revolve one main mechanic: Astral Fire and Umbral Ice. You use Firaga to gain Astral Fire stacks that boost your next Fire spell (similar to his skill here) but also use a shit ton of MP. So to get back your MP you switch to Blizzaga giving you Umbral Ice stacks (that the only thing that they've got wrong). Your magic becomes weaker but the MP flows back like a waterfall, which is very good represented with his Astral Ice Spell. And his damage mitigation skill, while not being that great, is original to the game to. To a point.

Even his Limit is a combination of two spells - Thundaga and Enochian.
    First gives your enemy a DoT (Damage over Time) which can trigger that your next Thundaga spell is MP free and absurdly strong. Enochian is a buff you let's you trigger this effect on command. So it's even accurate that his Limit is his strongest attack.

So from a Accuracy to the original game, Papalymo gets a 9.5/10 (minus points for Astral Ice).

Other than that: Great Review, very detailed, but I have to agree, it's a bit too much "free unit".

ejx220, Fenix808 and Memel0rd like this.
  8. Grimj

Grimj Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning
    Slight correction:

Just after your equipment selection summary you have his TM labelled as giving 10% MP.

9. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Wtf, I thought that I stated 10% HP. My bad, sorry.

Grimj likes this.
  10. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Struggler VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2 Olive OK Tidus
    Falafel man!

Like in the Tenacious D song...
    Ooh la la la, oo Papalymo, he's my papasass!
    Ooh la la la, oo Papalymo, he's my sassafrass!

A pity his HP is horribru for a 6* unit, and no REAL damage spells. If a new player needs a mage, he is an option... but awakening is quite pricey.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Memel0rd likes this.
  11. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I don't understand why especially HIS awakening costs are like the same as e.g. Orlandeaus from the total needed ones. Bs

Redtide likes this.
  12. toooskies

toooskies Ascended Member

Global ID:
    If you have a Ring of Lucii and 410MP, Papalymo can dual-cast Alterna two out of every three turns.

13. ejx220

ejx220 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra/A2
    Interesting read. I'm not a super new player anymore, so now I am unsure if I will max him out. Was gonna do it for fun but.... maybe I'll never use him.

14. Kaiser_Decimation

Kaiser_Decimation "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    295 801 115
    Leads:
    2B / Loren
    As a player who has access to maxed Exdeath and Dark Fina, I have no use for the unit, but im infusing him like mad with every pull for that materia as its great :)

So as said I think he has scope for everyone in one form or another

15. crazyturkey

crazyturkey Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: KM Bonus JP: Rinoa
    158 99
    This dude is more rare than a rainbow. Every time I hit the slots I pull 2-3 Y'sh but only 1 of him if I am lucky. I think getting his TM is way harder than most people make it out to be.

This is probably because the 4* crystals are diluted with Minfilia and Yda.

16. Exeon

Exeon Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive, Orlandeau or Event Unit
    Ever heard of bad RNG? Because it's likely that you're currently suffering from it.
    As for me, I pulled Papalymo the most followed by Yda, then Minfilia, then Thancred and lastly one Y'shtola.

17. Redtide

Redtide YoRHa No.2 Type E VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Shadow
    Yeah this imho is really dumb of Gumi.

18. JoeyCastellon

JoeyCastellon Active Member

I really hate having to ask this (newbie) question, what do ST, GL and DC stand for?

19. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    DC = Dual Cast
    ST = Single Target
    GL = Global

Exeon and JoeyCastellon like this.
  20. JoeyCastellon

JoeyCastellon Active Member

Thanks!!!

Memel0rd likes this.