1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Raegen (Final Fantasy Brave Exvius)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd MHWl0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Nalu | JP: Randi
    Father to Rain and Lasswell, and one of the Sworn Eight of Paladia. Following his arrival from Paladia, Raegen became a knight of the Kingdom of Grandshelt and served to protect its people from danger. His favorite dish is the cream stew that his late wife Sofia used to make, so he is quite happy that recently Lasswell has been doing his best to recreate the dish's flavor.
    The one people relate to as daddy.
    First up, my apologies the review is coming so late and while a lot of people probably won't care anymore, I still hope that this'll be helpful for a few people.
    This will also be a bit shorter than usual, I really want to get as much rest as I can since I am sick. I hope you understand.

Raegen Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG]5*
    [​IMG]6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Hero's Vow - Dark (Materia) - Increase LB gauge fill rate (50%)
    Increase ATK (30%) when equipped with a katana
    Increase ATK (30%) when equipped with a sword
    Increase ATK (30%) when equipped with a dagger
    Increase ATK (30%) when equipped with a great sword

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3802 (+450) Mag: 128 (+30)
    MP: 166 (+75) Def: 128 (+30)
    Atk: 156 (+30) Spr: 134 (+30)

6* Limit Burst:
    Darkness Purging Blades of Azure Crimson (Base / 36 LB-Crysts): 7-Hit Physical damage (9.6x) to all enemies
    Decrease fire and ice resistance (76%) for 3 turns to all enemies

Darkness Purging Blades of Azure Crimson (Max / 36 LB-Crysts): 7-Hit Physical damage (12x) to all enemies
    Decrease fire and ice resistance (100%) for 3 turns to all enemies

5*: Lvl 25 Blue Blade Ruin (28 MP / 3-Hit) - Physical damage* (1.8x) to one enemy
    View info on one enemy
    Decrease ATK/MAG (40%) for 2 turns to one enemy

5*: Lvl 58 Instant Flash (15 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (1x) to all enemies
    Restore MP (18) to all allies

5*: Lvl 80 Soul Blazer (64 MP / 3-Hit) - Physical damage (1.8x) to one enemy
    Increase fire, water, wind, earth, light, and dark resistance (50%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 30 Mountain Dive (45 MP / 3-Hit) - Physical damage (1.8x) to one enemy
    Decrease ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR (40%) for 3 turns to one enemy

6*: Lvl 66 Hero's Edge (80 MP / 3-Hit) - Physical damage (2.4x) to all enemies
    Increase ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR (60%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 90 Burning Blood (36 MP / 3-Hit) - Fire physical damage (1.8x) to one enemy
    Increase LB gauge (6) to caster

6*: Lvl 100 Blades of Azure Crimson (45 MP / 7-Hit) - Physical damage (4.8x) to one enemy
    Decrease fire and ice resistance (60%) for 3 turns to one enemy

6*: Lvl 100 Complete Awakening (36 LB Cryst) - Increase ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR (200%) for 3 turns to caster
    Mitigate damage taken (30%) for 3 turns to caster
    Heal (6000 HP, 15x) split over 3 turns to caster
    Refresh (20 MP, 0.2x) split over 3 turns to caster
    5*: Lvl 1 Dual Wield - Enables dual wielding of one-handed weapons

5*: Lvl 44 - MAG + 20%

5*: Lvl 71 - HP + 30%

5*: Lvl 80 Sword Mastery - Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a sword

5*: Lvl 80 Dagger Mastery - Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a dagger

6*: Lvl 1 Clear Will - Auto-heal (1800 HP, 1x) per turn
    Recover MP (10%) per turn
    Increase LB gauge (2) per turn

6*: Lvl 20 Katana Mastery - Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a katana

6*: Lvl 20 Large Sword Mastery - Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a great sword
    5*: Lvl 1 Firaga (20 MP / 1-Hit) - Fire magic damage (1.8x) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 1 Blizzaga (20 MP / 1-Hit) - Ice magic damage (1.8x) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 1 Raise (12 MP) - Revive one KO'd ally (30% HP)

5*:
    Lvl 12 Curaga (15 MP) - Heal (1000 HP, 3.4x) to all allies

6*: Lvl 1 Barblizzaga (22 MP) - Increase ice resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 1 Barfiraga (22 MP) - Increase fire resistance (70%) for 3 turns to all allies

Pros:
    "Do you want to be my daddy?" ~ Every Girl.

Raegen, I gotta be honest, the armor looked cooler on you. You also lost 4 base def, smh.
    Raegen's base stats are great. High HP and ATK, good DEF/SPR. Without equipping anything he also has a 20% MAG boost, a 30% HP boost and innate 10% MP refresh with a ~2k HP regen and 2 auto LB.
    Regarding his ATK passives it's important to note out that Raegen has innate dualwield. Which perfectly fits his style of ATK passives: 50% each for equipping him with a sword, dagger, katana or large sword for a total of 100% ATK.

Before we talk about his actual abilities, it's also worth mentioning that Raegen does have some emergency spells or even supportive ones. With Raise and Curaga he isn't quite on the same level as a healer as Sephiroth is, but Raegen does have innate access to Barblizzaga and Barfiraga, which against fights like Shiva or Ifrit might prove to be really handy.

One of his first abilities, Instant Flash, is great for Story Events. It deals damage equal to a regular attack but AoE while also restoring 18 MP to everyone. Since it works with Dualwield and the MP recover proc is instant, you will always gain back 36 MP total from it while killing many lower stage mobs. For explorations this can also be used quite effectively and if needed as an emergency tool in trials.

Raegen does have two more decent support tools to use. Soul Blazer and Mountain Dew--- Dive.
    Soul Blazer being a weak ST attack that also increases every elemental resistance except for thunder and ice by 50% to your entire party. If you don't feel like bringing a green mage, but still struggle to keep your elemental resistance high, you can easily use this. Though for fire attacks you should preferably use Barfiraga and ice attacks are still covered by Barblizzaga. So you only really lack thunder protection.
    Mountain Dive on the other hand is a ST 40% fullbreak. While this certainly isn't the most amazing break anymore, especially for newer players or weaker content this can be more than enough and might even save a slot that you'd normally use for HT Lid. If your team allows it even in 10 man trials or story events, making Raegen possibly more slot efficient.

Raegen's main chaining ability is Blades of Azure Crimson. A ST 480% 7-Hit mod that also decreases the enemy's fire and ice resistance by 60%. Its frames are the same as Divine Ruination, means his current chaining partners are Orlandeau, Veritas of the Dark (aka. himself), Sephiroth, Mario, enhanced Agrias and enhanced Fryevia. Quite a large roster.

More importantly though is how Raegen can utilise his LB gauge. With Burning Blood he fills up his own gauge by 6, with dualwield 12, which is 1/3 of his total gauge. Yes, Raegen does need 36 LB crysts to fully fill it up, but he has two options once its full:
    The first one being using Complete Awakening, which might be interesting to use if you have entrust units and prepare him for an OTKO. It's a self 200% all stat buff with 30% mitigation and strong regens attached to it for 3 turns. In comparison to his LB this is totally a pass, but if you really want to push every slight potential out of him you can entrust to use both without any problems.

So, what's his LB? Before I go on, if you want to use Raegen, level up his LB!
    At max it is an AoE 7-Hit 1200% modifier that does perfectly chain. But that's not exciting yet. Attached to its damage portion there is a 3 turn AoE 100% fire and ice imperil.
    This can be very useful for many different reasons:
    If you pair him up with anyone, you can increase your burst damage potential. Especially Fryevia appreciates this.
    Its real potential lies in the finisher game. Many of our current finishers can work really well with Raegen:
    Dragonlord, Ang and Emperor can innately utilise his massive fire imperil to become obnoxiously strong. TDH finishers like Ex.Aileen and Noctis can also utilise the new trial's materia from bomb family to imbue fire if needed.
    Mediena and Rem can be used as powerful ice finishers. While Rem can also be a fire finisher, the option to go for ice is a lot more ideal as she doesn't lose any MAG for it compared to fire.
    Even Kunshira can be used if you want a hybrid finisher. Or Shiva / Ifrit 3* with a summoner. Raegen really does well matching the current finisher's elements.

Cons:
    Raegen
    doesn't have too many cons. His kit is completely fine.

Two minor things I'd like to criticise though...

Firstly, Raegen does not have any status ailment resistances, making it harder to gear him for trials / sacrificing more stats. However, this can be fixed quite easily nowadays.

The other thing that might hinder him from using his LB quickly is the lack of any hightide passives. He does have his 2 auto LB, but when having a 36 cryst cost, gaining 1/18 of it every turn doesn't make a huge difference. If you have access to Eccentrick or Nichol's 150% fillrate buff you should use them.

That's about it. In terms of damage we are going to check him in a second, but while some abilities like Hero's Edge aren't particularly amazing, they might still see some usage.

Side-Notes:
    Raegen
    has a 7* in JP but no enhancements yet.
    With his upgrades, Raegen's old moves become decently stronger while he also gets allround higher stats as well as 40% True Dualwield once you equip his own TMR onto him.
    Raegen becomes part of a new chaining family that hasn't been introduced yet, the AT chaining family (8-hits, 6 frames).
    Important for him however are his two new CD moves. He has both a fire and an ice one. The fire one is a chaining move with a 1450% modifier and 7 hits, sharing the same frames as the DR family. It imperils fire by 100% for 2 turns while also adding fire element onto his attacks for 2 turns.
    The ice move is basically its counterpart: 1450% mod, 8 hits (AT frames) and an ice imperil + imbue. Both are first available at turn 4 and have a 3 turn cooldown. With a dupe friend you can rotate between them to keep up a high damage output. Generally his CD moves are a massive damage upgrade with having more than double the modifiers he usually has.
    His main problem is that Raegen got released during the last batch where TDH chainers slowly were taking over, making TDW a less prefered choice. Fear not though, TDW is still more than viable and Raegen is one of the better TDW chainers.

Best In Slot:
    I'll leave an ice and a fire build in here.
    No IW enhancements included yet.
    Flaming Blade Agni (125 ATK, fire)
    Masamune (150 ATK)
    Prishe's Hairpin (45 ATK, 10% HP/MP)
    Training Clothes (20 ATK, 32 DEF, 20% MP)
    Desch's Earring x2 (90 ATK)
    Hero's Vow - Dark (60% ATK)
    Large Sword Mastery (50% ATK)
    Katana Mastery (50% ATK)
    ADV V (40% ATK/DEF/SPR)

Stats with Bahamut:
    6016 HP
    376 MP
    1242 ATK
    321 DEF
    293 SPR
    Save the Queen (FFIX) (135 ATK)
    Hyomonto (110 ATK, Ice)
    Prishe's Hairpin (45 ATK, 10% HP/MP)
    Training Clothes (20 ATK, 32 DEF, 20% MP)
    Desch's Earring x2 (90 ATK)
    Hero's Vow - Dark (60% ATK)
    Large Sword Mastery (50% ATK)
    Katana Mastery (50% ATK)
    ADV V (40% ATK/DEF/SPR)

Stats with Bahamut:
    6016 HP
    376 MP
    1212 ATK
    321 DEF
    293 SPR

Arena:
    Raegen
    can work out in the arena. He has AoE attacks and innate dualwield, that's about it though. Raegen has no innate evasion, no status ailment protection / infliction, no added accuracy, no death.

Raegen [​IMG]Damage Comparison

Let's look at his damage potential first. I'll calculate his fire damage as it has higher attack, but will also do some small calculations on his damage with Fryevia. I will not assume that you are using a dupe to chain his LB with however.
    Assuming 100% ATK buff
    ATK post buff: 1278 LH | 1303 RH
    Assuming spark chains

Rotation until LB
    Turn 1: 1278^2 x 4.8 x 3.21 + 1303^2 x 4.8 x 4 x 1.6 = 77,322,332
    Turn 2: ( 1278^2 x 4.8 x 3.21 + 1303^2 x 4.8 x 4 ) x 1.6 = 92,421,716
    Turn 3: ( 1278^2 x 4.8 x 3.21 + 1303^2 x 4.8 x 4 ) x 1.6 = 92,421,716

LB Rotation
    Turn 4: 1278^2 x 12 x 1.6 = 31,359,052
    Turn 5: ( 1278^2 x 4.8 x 3.21 + 1303^2 x 4.8 x 4 ) x 2 = 115,527,145
    Turn 6: ( 1278^2 x 4.8 x 3.21 + 1303^2 x 4.8 x 4 ) x 2 = 115,527,145
    Turn 7: ( 1278^2 x 4.8 x 3.21 + 1303^2 x 4.8 x 4 ) x 2 = 115,527,145

Average Damage (Turn 1-7): 89,162,721
    ~ 12% weaker than Light Sephiroth (99,999,619)
    ~ 34% weaker than DH Prompto (132,404,448)
    ~ 34% weaker than DW Tidus (132,576,415)

-> ~ 43% weaker than TDH FD Tidus First Rotation (155,397,327)
    -> ~ 50% weaker than TDH FD Tidus First + Second Rotation (178,257,025)
    -> ~ 56% weaker than TDH FD Tidus Second Rotation (201,116,721)

Damage with Fryevia
    Turn X: 1263^2 x 4.8 x 3.21 x 1.75 + 1287^2 x 4.8 x 4 x 1.75 = 98,666,135
    ~ 2% stronger than Ice Sephiroth (96,687,299)

With LB imperil: 1263^2 x 4.8 x 3.21 x 2 + 1287^2 x 4.8 x 4 x 2 = 112,761,297

The LB imperil doesn't seem to be beneficial with Fryevia. The jump from a 60% imperil to 100% imperil makes it worth using. The jump from a 75% imperil to a 100% imperil is not unless you do not care about average damage.
    Damage wise, Raegen is the better chaining partner for Fryevia unless the enemy is a human type, which often occurs in 10 man trials, while Sephiroth has many other chaining options as well.

Trust Master Reward:
    Raegen's
    TMR is suited best for Dualwield units. 30% ATK with daggers, swords, large swords and katanas means you can go up to 60% ATK while still having 50% LB Fillrate on top of it. It'll be part of many current DW unit's BiS build and also working well with the new obtainable Sasuke's Katana.

Conclusion:
    Raegen is a great chainer even if he doesn't have the highest damage
    This unit is suited for every player alike. With innate dualwield, good allround stats, easy gear options that can be improved a lot and the ability to chain with many other units such as Sephiroth and Fryevia makes him currently a valuable asset to any team. His dual fire and ice imperil work almost perfectly with our current finisher roster and even some older folks such as Nyx.
    Against Sephiroth and above he pretty much loses in performance, making him not the best for the ones who want to maximise their damage output, but his versatility such as a 40% fullbreak, AoE elemental resistance buffs or AoE MP recover as well as his high dual imperils with common elements that, as previously said, set up many current meta finishers, makes him a unit everybody can utilise somehow. Either as a support chainer or an actual chainer. His damage output is still good, even if it's not the best.
    His future 7* upgrade falls off in comparison as the TDH W ability meta will take over the damage charts quickly and he likely comes in the last batch. But as a TDW unit he's still amongst the best TDW chainers and you really don't need TDH to clear content.
    I do have to say though, you can easily skip him. He's no must have unit nor will he have a massive impact in the future.

[​IMG]

Character Design: 9.5/10
    Sprite: 8/10
    Chainer: 8.5~9/10
    Trust Master Reward: 9/10
    Arena: 3/10
    Limit Burst: 9/10
    Future Proof: 7/10
    Free 2 Play: 9.5/10
    Pay 2 Play: 8.5/10
    Personal Rating: 8.5/10
    Optimal Rating: 9/10

[On-Banner Reviews]
    No Banner Reviews

I actually pulled for him because I like support chainers and units that set up my sweet Dragonlord.
    Again, my apologies for the rather short review. I really wanna go back to bed and just rest, but the moment I'm writing this I'll still have to edit the review, convert it to reddit etc etc.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Wanna support me?
    I put a lot of effort into it!
    Everything helps
    My Patreon

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  2. Dino

Dino Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    hehe

Memel0rd likes this.
  3. Bartleby

Bartleby Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Christine, OK, Olive, Sephiroth, PG L
    Thanks, @Memel0rd. Now go back to sleep.

Memel0rd likes this.
  4. Fahri99

Fahri99 Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    ???
    ???
    Yay! Thanks for the review!

Blaze13541 and Memel0rd like this.
  5. Etzel009

Etzel009 Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    eLunera, Raegen, Olive
    I love the review, and also was waiting for it.

And btw, I started playing JP a little, when the akstar banner was up, the UoC tics I have I use it on Raegen.

Why? For starters, Raegen even 5 stars, makes Story mode easy peasy, those 36 MP per skills he can AoE recover is HUGE, also you only need 1 sword and 1 dagger to max his damage right at the beginning.

Also I pulled for him here, and is basically my in and out unit with Camille (I don't have Tidus), when my FL is starting to flood with Landus and Freys.

Can't ask for more, he's an amazing unit for me.

Alucardsoma, Memel0rd and Fahri99 like this.
  6. HazardSephiroth

HazardSephiroth "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL:Tidus/2b/Reagen JP:Auron/Akstar
    121/97
    Thanks for the review, I'm happy to have pulled him :)

Alucardsoma likes this.
  7. Mokujin22

Mokujin22 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    BS Sak, DV, eTT, exAil, eFry
    Thanks for the great review Meme!

I have a monster TDH Sephoroth and a monster TDH FD Tidus, but pulled for him anyway. Got two of him (can't resist step-ups) and am really enjoying running him the last couple of weeks on story/item world as I'm a big imperil fan and like you said, utility chainers. Plus, his character is one of the cooler ones in the story imo.

Cheers!

Kaer and Alucardsoma like this.
  8. Caliber

Caliber "Hall of Fame" Member

So answer me this, I have 6 star Raegan , 7 star pg laswell ready, both lbs sitting at lvl 1, but have like 160 pots in inventory

Which ones lb do I max?

9. Memel0rd

Memel0rd MHWl0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Nalu | JP: Randi
    You only need to max lasswell's if you want to use him as a finisher. If you will use him as a chainer at 7*, just ignore it.

10. Caliber

Caliber "Hall of Fame" Member

Yep ignoring them both then
    60% imperils are fine, if I wanna finish I’ll just use ang

11. Cylian

Cylian Active Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    KMs usually
    152ish
    Take care. Health is most important. ::up::

12. Carnefix

Carnefix Newsl0rd Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter German Moderator Arena Runner-Up S1

Leads:
    TDH FD Tidus, Barb, Fry, Yun, Lila
    The reason I wanted him. His LB is the perfect nuke preparation for my fire team and Fry.

I was about to mention him but then I saw this:
    good job Meme but why old? :-P:D

Edit: Looks like we are all kinda knocked out these days. Rest well.

13. Milarion

Milarion Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    1.2k ATK DH Prompto or Firion
    I'm just gonna leave this here ::ink::

14. Consarn

Consarn Grounded for life... NOT! VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Alice, Sakuya and Yukarin
    Was it the different weather or something?

15. Donpru

Donpru Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2, Christine, Barbie
    Excellent review! Manage to pull 2 of him from a daily and a 4* ticket :)

Alucardsoma likes this.
  16. Spathotan

Spathotan Well-Known Member

One of my favorite units. I've got his TM and have a dupe on standby for 7*.

As mentioned in the review, one of the best things about him IMO is the versatility he has in his AoE stat/resistance buff and full break which saves me a slot on my team (plus I have Basch, who has slightly better breaks if its that important). Yea the 40% stat break isnt the best anymore and neither is the 60% buff but its still good enough for 99% of the content that im capable of completing anyways. This way my 5th slot can be used for my K.Delita if i need harder breaks or damage, Ramza for heroes rime if I need bigger buffs, Kunshira if I want to work with Raegan's fire debuff or hell even PGWorm.

17. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/eOlive
    Thanks for the review. I really like his skill set. I am considering investing on getting this chain family up and running for my team now.

Alucardsoma likes this.
  18. Katt

Katt Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    For the record...
    I care! I have been waiting patiently for the review. While I have him it is still nice to see other input on him I may have missed or don't quite grasp. Thank you for yet another fantastic review and hope you had a great VaCa. Sorry you got sick during it though :(

Alucardsoma likes this.
  19. Klaus

Klaus Polll0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Any top tier magical chainer. Really.
    My Sephiroth with Hyomonto works really well with Fryevia, I'd naver bench th-~2% stronger than Sephiroth-aaaaand... benched!

20. toooskies

toooskies Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Sorry you aren't feeling well, Meme. I'm just getting over a cold, too.

I mentioned this in the reddit post as well-- unlike Sephiroth, CG Raegen's LB will chain nicely with itself. It's a 7-hit attack that ends up with a 2.70 modifier, according to ffbe-chain. There isn't a chain mod in the damage calculations, but that should bring his average damage per turn up to around Sephiroth's level, as long as you're chaining two Raegens. If you're paired with, say, Sephiroth, his LB chains with Octoslash pretty well.

Also, if you're going to rotate multiple DR chainers, you might be able to squeeze three of them to utilize support kit. Most of the DR units that aren't Raegen have finishing moves to increase the damage when all three are free to let loose, and Raegen's LB can usually fit inside a manual DR chain.

Finally: I'm not sure on the demographics of who plays this game, but the iOS contingent can't spark chain any more (and probably won't ever again, given JP). This isn't as relevant within the DR-frame crowd whose numbers will all shift together (unless you chain w/ dual element), but the spark chaining assumption makes the numbers less clear-cut. But manual chaining expectations are hard to realistically generate, too. Any thoughts on changing from spark chaining moving forward? Or is it just another variable along with STMRs, Item World enhancements, and other things that'll just need to be highly variable depending on the user?