1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Rasler (Final Fantasy XII)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Unil0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Nyx | JP: Akstar
    he prince of Nabradia who appears in tales of Ivalice, a world foreign to this one. The kingdom of Nabradia boasts of exuberant nature and bountiful resources, but it is still subject to the pressure and threats of larger sovereign states. Despite this, Rasler marries Ashe, the princess of Dalmasca, in a grand and elaborate ceremony that engulfs their nations in joyous celebration. Unfortunately, the festivities are cut short when the Archadian Empire attacks Nabudis, the capital of Nabradia.
    I apologize for the delay of the review, I will write Vaan immediately after Rasler. But let's not distract ourselves, here we go!

Rasler Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 4*
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Patriotic Recall (Materia) - HP+30%, DEF+20%, Light resistance+30%

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3631 (+390) Mag: 112 (+26)
    MP: 148 (+65) Def: 140 (+34)
    Atk: 133 (+26) Spr: 135 (+26)

4*: Lvl 2 Sentinel - Chance to protect one ally from physical damage (30%) with damage mitigation (50% physical, 50% magic)
    4*: Lvl 15 - SPR + 20%
    5*: Lvl 32 Resist Light - Increase light resistance (50%)
    5*: Lvl 70 - HP + 20%
    6*: Lvl 1 Heir to the Throne - Increase light resistance (50%)
    Increase resistance to blind (100%)
    6*: Lvl 50 Vanguard Slasher - Increase DEF (50%) when equipped with heavy armor
    6*: Lvl 65 - DEF + 20%
    6*: Lvl 90 Sword Mastery - Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a sword
    4*: Lvl 60 All Resist Light (12 MP) - Increase light resistance (50%) for 3 turns to all allies

5*: Lvl 10 Bladeblitz (14 MP / 2-Hit) - Physical damage (1.4x) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 80 Royal Obligation (15 MP) - Chance to protect all allies (20%) with damage mitigation (30% physical, 30% magic) for 1 turn to caster

6*: Lvl 100 Patriotic (45 MP / 7-Hit) - Light physical damage (3x) to one enemy
    4*: Lvl 2 Cure (3 MP) - Heal (150 HP, 3x) to one ally
    5*: Lvl 42 Cura (7 MP) - Heal (400 HP, 3x) to all allies
    6*: Lvl 72 Curaja (15 MP) - Heal (1000 HP, 3.4x) to all allies
    6*: Lvl 72 Esunaga (21 MP) - Cure poison, blind, sleep, silence, paralyze and confuse to all allies

6* Limit Burst:
    Pride of Nabradia (Base / 16 LB Crysts): Increase DEF/SPR (50%) for 5 turns to all allies
    Pride of Nabradia (Max / 16 LB Crysts): Increase DEF/SPR (74%) for 5 turns to all allies

Pros:
    Rasler starts of with beautiful base stats. He has pretty high HP, really high DEF and also very very good SPR for a tank. He also has a decent ATK stat. But luckily, he is not one of these units that have good base stats but poor passives. Actually, it's reversed.
    Rasler has innate 70% DEF passives, 20% SPR passives, 20% HP passives. All of these just look great, he has great base stats and gets huge DEF passives as well as a significant SPR boost and HP boost. Beautiful. But he also gets a 50% ATK passive, which I cannot complain about. This will become important later on. You want him to be equipped with a heavy armor as well as a sword though, so keep that in mind.

Rasler also, just like WoL and Cecil, has a 100% light resistance, which is always nice for overall survivability. His usage against light elemental bosses definitely goes up with that one. Also, a 100% blind resistance, not the best but since he will have Grand Helm equipped most likely, it still serves its purpose so he won't miss his Patriotic Slash.

Rasler has a nice light resistance buff for a tank. It's basically a bar-xy-ra version with an AoE 50% light resistance, which is especially useful if your Minfilia is busy with other elemental buffs or you are running Marie (Marie does not have a spell against light magic, only Love You All).

He also has Bladeblitz, which for experienced players is pretty underwhelming, but for beginners this is really good for the story. I myself had Warrior of Light back then, who also has Bladeblitz, and I remember it being very useful at the start of my game. So I highly recommend beginners to use this. Against regular mobs.

Rasler has both a ST cover as well as an AoE Cover. His ST cover has a 30% chance to proc with 50% hidden damage mitigation, while his AoE Cover has a 20% chance to proc with 30% damage mitigation. It's nice to see another tank that can AoE cover your team.

Rasler has also options that remind one of Cecil. He has access to Cura and Curaja, which is great since he can provide side healing. Overall, really good, and everybody knows of e.g. a DC Cecil. It can be really useful in some cases. Also, he has a similar LB. Though it does not provide an ATK buff, its DEF/SPR buff lasts for 5 turns. Which is a considerably long time.
    But that's not all, Rasler also has Esunaga, which is very useful when your Healer either can't heal status ailments, but also very useful when your Healer does not have time to use this. So Rasler can support your Healer very good with either Curaja or Esunaga.

Now, his final ability, Patriotic Slash. This move has a 300% modifier with innate light elemental and 7-hits. This move is amazing for any beginner. They can have a pretty easy to get chainer with innate elemental and 50% ATK passives. The mod is also decent enough, so if you just started your game, you can achieve pretty good damage easily.
    It can also be very very useful for more experienced players who run Rasler since he can be used as chain bridger while still being a beefy boy that has a ST cover chance.

Because of this, Rasler looks very promising as a secondary tank. If you want to be very defensive and need a chain bridger or side-healer, he can fulfill that role. Since Warrior of Light wants to AoE cover, he can proc his ST cover more easily since there can't be two units AoE covering at the same time. I like it and I think he can be quite interesting.

But the most important part about him for most of us is his Trust Master Reward, which I will talk about later.
    SPOILER: It's very good.

Cons:
    I said I like Rasler as a secondary tank, and that has a reason.

First, he can't be your main DPS in the most cases. 50% ATK are low, but still usable. The problem is, his base ATK is really bad for a primary DPS unit. That being said, he does not have any killers or insane mods to make up for it. So his potential as DPS is not as promising.

And even though he has very very good stats, he has huge flaws as a tank.
    Look at his chances to proc the covers.
    His ST cover has a 30% proc chance with decent enough mitigation, I can get over that. Though 30% is still a pretty high gamble.

But his AoE Cover not only lasts a single turn (you'd have to reapply it every turn), but has 3 big cons. Because of its only short duration of 1 turn, you cannot guard in between the turns to mitigate even more damage, but that's not as important.

The cover also only has a 30% hidden damage mitigation. This is horrible, if he is about to AoE cover, he will most likely die easily because of this. Even with huge stats, such a low damage mitigation will make him way more squishy than he needs to be.

And the worst about this cover... It's a 20% chance to proc. This is just not reliable, you cannot rely on Rasler to cover your team which is the most important part about a tank: to be reliable.

Rasler also lacks innate draw attacks or a provoke, so he still is bound to the Golem Esper to direct the attacks to him, which limits him in some way. Also, a golem provoke is not really reliable anymore with only a 30% chance to cover allies.

Other than that, I will show these cons in the unit comparison to make you understand how much these hurt him.

Side-Notes:
    Rasler just received his enhancements the very moment in JP and I don't have any numbers yet, but it says that his cover chance from the AoE cover highly increases, so he might be a usable tank over there for people who do not own warrior of light. But I still don't think Rasler is future proof, since these enhancements are so far away.

Arena:
    Rasler does not provide much in the Arena. His cover chances are pretty low, he does not have really useful tools like status ailment protection, status ailment infliction, instant death, magic chain moves. He can only semi-tank some stuff and heal, and that's not outstanding anymore.
    I do not recommend using Rasler in the Arena.

Comparison: Cecil
    [​IMG]

- Cecil has slightly higher HP and DEF base stats, but has 20% less DEF passives
    - Rasler has way higher SPR with 20% SPR passives
    - Rasler has way higher ATK, ATK passives and actually attacking abilities
    - Cecil's LB is better
    - Rasler's Curaja is stronger
    - Rasler can support your healer with Esunaga
    - Cecil can use Focus
    - Rasler can chain
    - Cecil has a way higher chance to proc a ST cover (45% more)
    - Rasler has a tiny chance for one turn to AoE cover your team

So, in terms of stats, Rasler easily wins. But he actually loses.
    Both main roles are to tank, and we want reliable tanks. Cecil and Rasler also both need Golem, but Cecil does this job still way better. Yes, he can't AoE cover, but his ST cover has a way higher chance to proc while Rasler's AoE cover often doesn't even proc. I prefer Cecil over Rasler because of this.
    Besides that, Cecil's LB seems way better since it also boosts ATK and Cecil has 100% Hightide passives which makes it being used more often.
    Rasler can chain though, that's a niche over Cecil. But as primary tank, I don't see Rasler winning.

Comparison: Warrior of Light
    [​IMG]

- Rasler has higher base stats and way higher passives
    - Both have the same chance for a ST cover
    - Warrior of Light is self-sustainable with Hope and Warriors Pride
    - Warrior of Light has lots of utility to offer
    - WoL can either 45% AoE 3 Turn break DEF/SPR or ATK/MAG, which is amazing
    - WoL has Embolden to be a buffer
    - WoL also has a 30% Fullbreak
    - WoL can 100% provoke
    - WoL's AoE cover has way higher damage mitigation while also a way higher chance to proc

The last basically puts WoL way above Rasler. His AoE cover is somewhat reliable at the current moment while providing more damage mitigation. Also, WoL can be sustained way easier since he has a 30% chance to proc a 25% max HP/MP heal after a magic attack.
    Not only that, WoL has really strong breaks at the current moment, a strong buff as well as a 100% provoke.
    Rasler in terms of tanking has no niche over Warrior of Light. The only thing Rasler does better in terms of tanking is his LB, which is not reliable.

Comparison: Wilhelm
    [​IMG]

- Wilhelm has way higher stats and passives (10% higher DEF, 10% higher HP)
    - Wilhelm has innate 50% draw attacks
    - Wilhelm has a 100% 3 turn provoke with 30% damage mitigation
    - Wilhelm has a 60% counter chance against physical attacks
    - Wilhelm heals himself a lot upon guarding as well as boosting his DEF/SPR by 75% once he drops below 30% HP
    - Wilhelm has a really spammable LB because of Loyal Guardian and his high counter chance paired up with his 100% provokes
    - Wilhelm has awesome buffs
    - Rasler has a small chance to AoE cover

Let's put it like this: It is not worth a single penny to use Rasler as a tank over Wilhelm because of a 20% chance to AoE cover. It just isn't.
    In terms of ST tanking, Wilhelm is still the best around and will forever be probably. His LB is awesome, which provides a lot of damage mitigation for your whole team, he has a lot of damage mitigation with very strong stat buffs, has a very high counter chance etc.
    Wilhelm wins easily.

Trust Master Reward:
    Before we had Rasler, we got HP +30% Materias like amarant, guy and Rem. And all of these did not increase the survivability besides the HP. And now we have Rasler with 30% HP and 20% def, this TMR is awesome for any support, healer or tank. Grab it, it is 100% worth it.

Conclusion:
    Rasler is not a good primary tank. His usage as a secondary tank is limited, but he certainly can be used in this department with Warrior of Light.
    His chaine bridging can provide a good support when you have e.g. Aileen and Orlandeau which naturally can't chain well.
    Besides that, I don't see much usage for Rasler besides his TMR.
    For beginners he can still provide a solid tank with Golem, so if you don't have better, I recommend using him. He has very strong stats.

@TLA 's: Should you Pull?

Character Design: 6.5/10

Sprite: 8.5/10
    Chainer: 6-7/10
    Finisher: 0/10
    ST Tank: 5/10
    AoE Tank: 4.5/10
    Free 2 Play: 7.5-8/10
    Pay 2 Play: 5.5/10
    Personal Rating: 6/10
    Optimal Rating: 7/10

He is interesting, I'd be pleased to get a Rasler. His TMR is awesome and he can be useful in a "right" team composition.

Memel0rd out

JMR, Chibi Noctis, bwompX2 and 21 others like this.
  2. BNANA

BNANA "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Leads:
    Tongue Punch Mc Fart Box
    Smells like a good review.
    9/10
    would read again.
    Best review of the year
    - IGN.

Errmgherd nothing is finer than a review from a memer
    - Rolling Stoner Magazine.

Its ok.
    - Bnana the Hater.

Exdeath-chan, MrTORGUE, dbr11 and 6 others like this.
  3. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Unil0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Sounds legit

Exdeath-chan, Redtide and BNANA like this.
  4. BNANA

BNANA "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Leads:
    Tongue Punch Mc Fart Box
    legit
    quit

5. TLA

TLA ActivelyDepressedParrot VIP

Leads:
    Whatever your heart desires bb
    For anyone wondering about his very, very recent (hasnt even come out yet), enhancements:

先陣を切る者 <- Vanguard Slasher
    +50% DEF when equipped with Heavy Armor

1. SPR Up when equipped with Heavy Armor <- (Probably be around 30%)
    2. HP Up when equipped with Heavy Armor <- (Probably be around 20-30%)
    王族の義務 <- Royal Obligation
    1 Turn 20% Chance to Defend Allies from Phys Damage (Reduce +30% Phys./Mag. Damage)

1. Cover Chance Up (XL) <- (Probably be around 75%)
    2. Damage Reduced Up (M) <- (Probably be around 50%)
    レジストライトオール <- All resist
    AoE 3 Turn +50% Light Resist

1. Duration Up (M) <- (Probably be around 5 turns)
    2. Light Res Up (M) <- (Probably be around 70% {bar-ga level}
    Currently he's meh at best, but a decent replacement for those without WoL. Hope his enhancements come sooner than later though in GL

Hillgigas209, Fenix808, Exeon and 2 others like this.
  6. ejx220

ejx220 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra/A2
    Thanks for another great review! His TM is good, but I'm glad I pulled Ashe instead of him.

Memel0rd likes this.
  7. Tiamant

Tiamant Well-Known Member

What would this community do without MemeLord ::rudecat5::
    Excelent, review 10/10 would smash

Parade and Memel0rd like this.
  8. bheday

bheday Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    2B/OK/BonusUnit
    got 3 of him and 0 ashe....at least nice tmr. .

Khidir and Memel0rd like this.
  9. TheRunawayGirl

TheRunawayGirl GIMU driving me insane~ VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Anything you might desire
    Can I point out something?
    To anyone who's not played FFXII, let me point out my reasoning as for why I don't get why they didn't make Fran 5-6* and yet added this guy in the mix: Rasler is dead throughtout the entire story. Dies in the beggining, and is only in the game as a vision of sorts, which isn't even his ghost, but an illusion made by the Occurias (character from the story). And yet we have Fran waiting at 4* MAX when she had more action than this guy, who only died in a battle at the beggining of the game.
    It pisses me off... SO DAMN MUCH cuz Fran is one of the three characters who's ACTUALLY good in the plot. The other two are Ashe and Balthier, who we didn't get in this banner, but instead Zargabaath (I won't deny, tho, he's pretty cool when you get to know him in the story). Haa... There ya go
    This has nothing to do with the review, btw, but I had to take the chance to. Great review as always, Memelord.

Nine, Kien_Tolkien, Khidir and 4 others like this.
  10. Amiricle

Amiricle Ascended Member Supporter

Great review for sure.

Memel0rd likes this.
  11. Amiricle

Amiricle Ascended Member Supporter

Fran in this game aggravates me a lot as well..... she should be sooooo much better, and totally should have gotten an awakening NOW. Balthier, while desired now, will eventually come around. At least Ashe was done decent. Weird choices for sure...

I don't think I will find a use for Rasler as a unit since I have Wilhem, WoL & Cecil already, but I muchly want to farm his TMR one day.

Memel0rd likes this.
  12. Cedric_Seawind

Cedric_Seawind Ascended Member

He is going to end up being the tank for my mini. At least for now. Only other candidates for tank the mini has are Snow and Cecil. However, seeing as I kept the mini because I finished the first isle, got my 5k lapis, and pulled 2 Orlandeaus, he can be of assistance.

P.S. Totally agreed with Runaway. He is in very, very little of the story, while Fran is a major supporting character to the main protagonist of the game, Balthier. She should at the very least be 5*.

Memel0rd likes this.
  13. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Thank Y'all! ::rudecat5::

Exdeath-chan and Redtide like this.
  14. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Sadly, I don't really know the story of FFXII anymore, I kinda fall asleep during the let's play I watched. Need to re-watch it :)

Exdeath-chan, Fenix808 and Redtide like this.
  15. Fenix808

Fenix808 Mr. Aloha (^o^)/ VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    252 911 038
    Leads:
    Olive for Omega
    As usual, great review! I pulled Rasler and I'm using him as my lead for the bonus, and then that's it, sadly. It's a shame because I really like his sprite and victory pose. And his attack animation makes me think of something from King of Fighters or some '90s fighting game. Oh well, haha.

Memel0rd likes this.
  16. Parade

Parade I'm So Proud of You, Children VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    I'm so salty... ::salt:: I pulled so much on this banner... I spent a big chunk of lapis, got 4 Rainbows... and ONE RASLER.

I want 4 :( I need 4x that TMR.

Oh, uh, and fine review as always, Memey!

17. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Wait, really? That's some serious bad luck

Exdeath-chan and Parade like this.
  18. TLA

TLA ActivelyDepressedParrot VIP

Leads:
    Whatever your heart desires bb
    I also only have one Rasler. What's odd is that i have less banner 4* bases compared to my obtained 5* bases pulling on this banner. Let the salt flow ::salt::::salt::. We all @salto now.

Parade likes this.
  19. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I mean, he is usable, he is certainly not pure trash.
    Him as a secondary tank + chain bridger can work out.

Exdeath-chan and Fenix808 like this.
  20. fffan

fffan Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Mostly chainers
    nice review.
    now, just give me one Rasler..... for his TMR::blind::