1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Ray Jack (King's Knight)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Nyx frens pls Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Nyx | JP: Hyou
    A warrior from another world blessed by Khalam, the deity worshipped by the people of Olthea. Ray Jack was originally the son of a farmer in the countryside, but rose to legendary status after receiving the blessing of Khalam to rescue Princess Claire of Olthea, who had been kidnapped by a foul beast. After rescuing the princess, he founded a guild and began taking odd jobs around town.
    Honestly I'm not hyped at all, this banner is really meh and thus don't expect the usual hype.

Ray Jack Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]
    In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: White Knight's Soul (Materia) - Increase ATK (40%) when equipped with a helm
    Increase DEF (40%) when equipped with a heavy armor

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3594 (+450) Mag: 116 (+30)
    MP: 160 (+75) Def: 130 (+30)
    Atk: 159 (+30) Spr: 124 (+30)

6* Limit Burst:
    Hero of Legend (Base / 20 LB-Crysts): 1-Hit Light physical damage (3x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies
    Add light element to physical attacks for 1 turn to all allies
    Increase ATK/DEF (100%) for 3 turns to caster

Hero of Legend (Max / 20 LB-Crysts): 1-Hit Light physical damage (4.2x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies
    Add light element to physical attacks for 1 turn to all allies
    Increase ATK/DEF (100%) for 3 turns to caster

5*: Lvl 5 Weapon Break (12 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (1.8x) to one enemy
    Decrease ATK (40%) for 5 turns to one enemy

5*: Lvl 12 Shield Break (12 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (1.8x) to one enemy
    Decrease DEF (40%) for 5 turns to one enemy

5*: Lvl 66 Brave Presence (14 MP) - Increase chance of being targeted (100%) for 1 turn to caster

5*: Lvl 76 Lightning Strike (45 MP / 6-Hit) - Light physical damage (4x) to one enemy
    Negate 2 physical damage taken for 3 turns to caster

6*: Lvl 1 The Stuff of Legend (35 MP) - Increase light resistance (50%) for 3 turns to all allies
    Increase ATK/DEF (40%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 5 Lance (10 MP / 1-Hit / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (0.8x) as HP drain (20%) to one enemy
    Physical damage (0.3x) as MP drain (10%) to one enemy

6*: Lvl 32 Rally (30 MP) - Increase ATK/DEF break resistance (100%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 45 Holy Affliction (45 MP / 6-Hit) - Light physical damage (4x) to all enemies

6*: Lvl 62 Luminous Strike (45 MP / 6-Hit) - Light physical damage (4.5x) to one enemy
    Inflict blind, silence, and paralyze (30%) to one enemy

6*: Lvl 100 Sacred Strike (50 MP / 6-Hit) - Physical damage (2.2x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    Decrease light resistance (50%) for 3 turns to one enemy
    5*: Lvl 28 Khalam's Chosen - Increase resistance to blind, paralyze, and petrify (100%)
    Auto-heal (30 HP, 3.6x) per turn
    Recover MP (5%) per turn

5*: Lvl 48 Helping Hand - Chance to counter physical attacks (20%) with Helping Hand (max 1/turn)
    Helping Hand - Restore HP (10%) and MP (5%) to all allies

5*: Lvl 80 Khalam's Blessing - Increase HP/ATK (30%)
    Increase physical damage against dragons (50%)
    Increase light resistance (50%)

6*: Lvl 16 - DEF + 30%

6*: Lvl 80 Sword Mastery - Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a sword

6*: Lvl 92 Order of the Blue Wing - Chance to protect one ally from physical damage (50%) with damage mitigation (50%)

Pros:
    Ray Jack
    has amazing base stats! Very high HP, very high ATK, high DEF and decent SPR. He also gets a total 80% ATK with Swords and 30% HP/DEF to amplify it even further. Ray Jack is a very tanky unit while remaining high ATK, which, for now, is a huge plus. Blind, paralyze and petrify immunity paired up with an Auto-Regen and MP refresh is also included, rounding it up overall. There also is a 50% light resistance and 50% dragon killer, pretty obvious.

Being able to counter physical attacks with Helping Hand is a good thing for Ray Jack. Helping Hand is an AoE 10% HP and 5% MP AoE recover counter, making it an useful counter. We will go back to this later on.

As I said earlier, he is quite tanky. Now, with Brave Presence, he might be able to actually use that as an advantage for him. Ray Jack is able to 100% provoke for one turn, which might be really good as an emergency tank. Most likely, you will go the DPS route, so see it more as an emergency tool.

More and more niche will be the next ability. The stuff of Legend is a Cheer + an AoE 50% light resistance buff. Honestly, the AoE 40% ATK/DEF buff is only good for beginners or in early content, but the light resistance buff might be really good in certain situations!

Oddly enough, Rally isn't an AoE stat debuff resistance buff, but only a AoE ATK/DEF debuff resistance buff. Still, this can serve well enough in case the enemy is not focusing on fullbreaks but only specific breaks. So Ray Jack might be able to help out? Hm?

Before I go to Ray Jack's last abilities, let's talk about his Limit Burst. It's an AoE (max) 820% 1-Hit mod that also grants ALL ALLIES holy attacks for 1 turn. While the buff duration is pretty low, this can still be used for 10 man trials that are weak to holy to completely skip the phase. I will talk later about this as well.

Now, Ray Jack has various 6-hit 6-frame moves. I'll quickly break it down:
    Lightning Strike - No.
    Holy Affliction - 400% AoE + innate holy
    Luminous Strike - 450% ST + innate holy
    Sacred Strike - 440% ST + 50% holy imperil
    Basically you want to use Sacred Strike first and then either transition into Luminous Strike or simply use Holy Affliction for AoE chains. Funny enough, Ray Jack's AoE modifiers are really high compared to many other physical chainers. Overall, his mods are decent and he also is able to perfectly chain with a dupe.

Cons:
    Finally I can show my disappointment in Ray Jack.

His first two abilities already are tremendously outdated. I mean, 40% breaks already aren't really what you call a good break, but Ray Jack has a 40% 5 turn ATK break OR a 40% 5 turn DEF break, which means they are seperated. And awfully enough, who wants a single ATK break in the current meta? Yeah.

Brave Presence might be good as emergency provoking, but if you want to make him a tank, it's so bad. The provoke does not offer any mitigation, it is way too short and it's his only tanking capability. WELL, outside of his trade Order of the Blue Wing.
    That's right, Ray Jack is a suicidal damage dealer! He has a 50% chance to cover an ally from physical damage. While it does come with 50% mitigation, there are too many things wrong with that.
    1. If the enemy uses physical attacks first, but unleashes a strong magic move later on, you have a very high chance that Ray Jack might cover a unit and thus completely disable for instance Mystea. If he actually covers your AoE cover unit, you are screwed. In that scenario, you'd kill your whole party or put it into a big risk.
    EDIT: AoE covers have higher priorities than ST covers, meaning Ray Jack would only jump in front of the AoE tank! If Mystea got attacked and Ray Jack covered her before her own AoE cover procs, you won't be able to AoE cover. But he can still jump in front of other units without limiting you, because ST and AoE covers can be up at the same time.
    2. Ray Jack kills himself because the enemy uses many different physical attacks, he jumps in front of the unit and as a DPS, while having good defensive stats, he's not so tanky that he can eat all of them without guarding etc.
    I really dislike this ability and the chance to proc it is really high as well.

The Stuff of Legend, just why. A good old Cheer buff? AoE 40% ATK/DEF? Could you do any better please? This is just a veeeery outdated value for buffs, some even consider Zargabaath rather outdated and he has an AoE 60% all stat buff. Enough said.

Rally is another very questionable choice. We have several units than can protect you from status debuffs, such as Veritas of the Earth, Tilith, Ilias, etc... And it's really a great tool. But why exactly does Ray Jack not have an all status debuff resistance, but only ATK and DEF? So much wasted potential, it hurts.

His counter, Helping Hand, sadly is restricted to once at max. Also, since Ray Jack doesn't really act as a tank but more as a DPS and most likely doesn't get hit, it often might not even trigger. On a real tank, this counter would have been amazing.

Now, we come to his Limit Burst. It's 20 LB Cryst, that's relatively affordable. Sadly, Ray Jack does not have any innate hightide passives. To this point, it's still somewhat alright. But his Limit Burst is, again, wasted potential. The modifier is alright, but the AoE holy infuse only lasts one turn. He can't even use it HIMSELF. Quite a let down, makes it way harder to really utilise. However, it grants him a 100% ATK/DEF buff. It'd be a loooot better if this was AoE and not his selfish buff.

Overal I am really disappointed in Ray Jack's kit, but we'll get to that later.

Side-Notes:
    We don't know anything about his future, JP has a 7* Ray Jack, but their Ray Jack has a completely different kit.
    While his ATK stats and modifiers are fine, and he can perfectly chain with a copy, it's sad to see that he does not have any chain partners. Many chainers don't have that, but most of us will not get a Ray Jack or will never ever put him up as a permanent lead, making it even harder for you to chain with friends. This isn't really a real con, but adds more to the wasted potential department.
    As his kit is right now, he will slowly fall off more and more.

Best In Slot:
    Basic build, nothing too special to see here!
    Onion Sword (135 ATK)
    Excalibur (120 ATK)
    Prishe's Hairpin (45 ATK)
    Demon Mail (10 ATK)
    Desch's Earring (45 ATK)
    Genji Glove (DW, 10% ATK)
    SSP-Dark (60% ATK)
    Large Sword Mastery (50% ATK)
    Dark Knight's Soul (50% ATK)
    ADV 5 (40% ATK)

ATK with Bahamut:
    1156 ATK

Arena:
    Ray Jack
    is good and bad at the same time. He has very high HP, he has tanking capabilities, he has strong AoE chains and status ailment protection. But, he deals physical damage and his damage is holy based, so it really depends. He could be really good against non-evasive enemies or holy resistant enemies, or be completely useless. So I'd say give him a shot.

Ray Jack [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Enhanced Orlandeau
    • Ray Jack has higher defensive base stats
    • Orlandeau has 30% higher ATK (110% totally) and 20% higher HP passives
    • Both have good status ailment protection
    • Both have holy imperils build into their chain
    • Orlandeau has many different chain partners
    • Orlandeau has a 5 turn 45% ATK/MAG break
    • Orlandeau has way higher base mods and higher hits
    • Ray Jack's supportive methods are outdated
    • Ray Jack can kill himself
    While Ray Jack has a lot higher DEF, Orlandeau will most likely still have higher HP, way higher ATK and more options. While Ray Jack can only chain with a copy, Orlandeau has the choice to chain with a dupe, Veritas of the Dark or enhanced Agrias, which are pretty common leads and really handy for 10 man trials.
    Not only does Orlandeau have higher ATK, but he also has 80% higher modifiers on his Divine Ruination +2 and his breaks are a lot better. Both's breaks last 5 turns, but Orlandeau's are combined and are ATK/MAG breaks instead of ATK or DEF breaks.
    Orlandeau easily wins.

Ray Jack [​IMG] VS [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Chainers

All those chainers you can see deal a lot higher damage than Ray Jack. Why? They either have the option of True Doublehand and Fixed Dice or in A2's case her insane 250% self ATK buff. While Tidus and Onion Knight have very unique supportive aspects that can always come in handy, A2 and 2B mostly focus on pure damage but all of those 4 are insane damage dealers with the right gear.
    Chainers win.

Trust Master Reward:
    This TMR is, for many, disappointing. You'll gain 40% ATK with a helm and 40% DEF with a heavy armor. Honestly, that's pretty good and makes your DPS a lot tankier. However, we have access to Adventurer V, which is a unrestricted 40% all stat boost. So against that, it looks really lackluster. For future units like Gabranth, this TMR will be amazing. But for now, the TMR fits the best on Ray Jack himself, even if it's not best in slot.

Conclusion:
    I don't have any other words, so I'll just say it out loud:
    Ray Jack is a big let down.
    Yes, he is not absolute trash, he's still on a decent damage dealing level. But he has so many outdated tools, so many relatively bad tools and has a high chance to kill himself and even block your team.
    And as a completely new unit not even contributing to the meta is just meh.
    If you get him, can't change it and might as well try to find a usage. But I definitely do not recommend you going for him.

Character Design: 8.5/10
    Sprite: 8.5/10
    Chainer: 8/10
    Trust Master Reward: 8.5/10
    Arena: 7.5/10
    Limit Burst: 6/10
    Free 2 Play: 8.5/10
    Pay 2 Play: 7/10
    Personal Rating: 7.5/10
    Optimal Rating: 8/10

Siiiiiiiiiigh, sorry for that but I am everything but motivated regarding this banner. I bashed on him a lot and already feel like apologising to you.

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Gwailoh13, HolicX, S!D and 44 others like this.
  2. -Mavrick-

-Mavrick- Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Any upon request
    So is he worth awakening?

GenPrism likes this.
  3. Demiluna

Demiluna Ascended Member

how would you compare his chaining to fryevia? i'm guessing he'd even lose to her.

GenPrism likes this.
  4. Consarn

Consarn Chantin' VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Alice, Sakuya and Yukarin
    wow
    a guy from another game isnt good
    where have i seen that before

GenPrism likes this.
  5. GenPrism

GenPrism Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TT
    HYPE added

Memel0rd likes this.
  6. Solitas

Solitas Ascended Member

*hypes it up*

GenPrism and Memel0rd like this.
  7. Mr. Manco

Mr. Manco VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Dkc now has more competition in the Suicide department. But Dkc is fun to use :D

8. Kuuro

Kuuro "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Raegan/Fry/2B/eTT
    This banner is a pretty big let down, not sure if I’ll even do dailies. Nice review!

Jubilate, GenPrism and Memel0rd like this.
  9. Sotoy_yuk

Sotoy_yuk Ascended Member

Thank's for your review sir
    I am glad i emptied my 10+1 tickets in the christmas banner and not this one

Quattro, GenPrism and Memel0rd like this.
  10. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Nyx frens pls Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Nah with TDH / DH DKC can't really kill himself. Heal before -> -60% -> +100%

Redtide and GenPrism like this.
  11. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Good choice.

12. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Will have to do that tomorrow if I do, but he might be slightly below her. MIGHT

13. GenPrism

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TT
    Hyped up still for the MemeLord

14. Khidir

Khidir Ascended Member

@Memel0rd you didn't come back to Helping Hands later on in the review.

Kind of surprised he got high ratings for having many problems

15. Hero King Gilgamesh

Hero King Gilgamesh "Hall of Fame" Member

yes, ray jack is extremely disappointing for a 5* limited unit.

fucking joke.

16. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Oh, woops, will add that.

His damage is still decent, 8/10 for a chainer in the current meta isn't really a high rating though.

17. GenPrism

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TT
    If it isn’t 9.5/10 or close then not worth the time. :) he’s a TM fodder to me

18. Blyzk

Blyzk Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Event unit time.
    Pray for GL enhancements that are Randi tier is what I'm hearing.

19. Hero King Gilgamesh

Hero King Gilgamesh "Hall of Fame" Member

also the sprite isnt even close to the pic memelord provided . what a joke.

pedro1231916 likes this.
  20. moonlights

moonlights Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    VoL, Charming Kitty, Dark Veritas, TT.
    Let's hope GL enhancements save his ass. I'm gonna throw my account into the next dimension for pulling him instead of Christine. ::rudecat6::

pedro1231916 likes this.