1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Rico Rodriguez (Just Cause 3)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Back from Vacation Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Tidus | JP: Randi
    A rebel from another world who sets out to save his country from a ruthless dictator. Unstoppable, fearless, and determined, taking action is all that matters to him. Where others reach their limits, Rico just begins.
    That's a short intro text. Anyway, this time we'll take a look at the new Just Cause 3 collab unit: Rico. Personally I've never played JC3 so I can't really say I love him so much or that I'm excited.
    But don't worry, you will not see a single "... just cause" joke in here because on day 1 I already couldn't stand them anymore.

Rico Rodriguez Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Protec Grappler G3 (Accessory) - ATK+40, 25% Evasion, 20% ATK (Rico, Mario, Annika and Teo only)

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3621 (+390) Mag: 110 (+26)
    MP: 153 (+65) Def: 136 (+26)
    Atk: 157 (+34) Spr: 121 (+26)

6* Limit Burst:
    Death From Above (Base / 20 LB-Crysts): 11-Hit Physical damage (4.5x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies
    Death From Above (Max / 20 LB-Crysts): 11-Hit Physical damage (5.7x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 27 Glass Grenade (48 MP / 1-Hit) - Decrease ATK/MAG (45%) for 3 turns to all enemies
    Physical damage (2.5x) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 40 Homing Grenades (48 MP / 1-Hit) - Decrease DEF/SPR (45%) for 3 turns to all enemies
    Physical damage (2.5x) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 70 Slingshot Boost (30 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (2.5x) to one enemy
    Increase physical damage against humans (75%) for 2 turns to caster

5*: Lvl 80 Tether (24 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (2.4x) to one enemy
    Inflict stop (60%) for 3 turns to one enemy

6*: Lvl 17 Reel-In Kick (14 MP / 1-Hit) - Negate 2 physical damage taken for 3 turns to caster
    Physical damage (3x) with jump delay (1 turn) to one enemy

6*: Lvl 82 Take Cover (0 MP) - Recover HP/MP (100%) to caster
    Remove caster from battle for 2 turns

6*: Lvl 95 Triple Spray (45 MP / 7-Hit) - 3x Physical damage (1.5x) to a random enemy

6*: Lvl 100 Chaos Object Homing (52 MP / 8-Hit) - Physical damage (2.1x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies
    5*: Lvl 1 Man-Eater - Increase physical damage against humans (50%)

5*: Lvl 33 - ATK + 30%

5*: Lvl 58 - DEF + 30%

5*: Lvl 75 Impact Resistance - Chance to ignore fatal damage (80%) when HP is above 10% (max 1 time)

6*: Lvl 1 Dual Wield - Enables dual wielding of one-handed weapons

6*: Lvl 1 Machine Killer - Increase physical damage against mechanical monsters (50%)

6*: Lvl 35 Steady Hand - Increase ATK (30%) when equipped with a gun
    Increase ATK (30%) when equipped with a fist

6*: Lvl 47 Master Saboteur - Increase physical evasion (20%)
    Increase resistance to blind, sleep, and confuse (100%)

6*: Lvl 63 - MP + 30%

6*: Lvl 78 Weapon Restock - Recover MP (5%) per turn

Pros:
    Rico Rodriguez (I'll just call him Rico)
    has good base stats for a damage dealer. Good HP, quite high DEF and a strong base ATK of 191. His passives depending on the weapons you equip grant him more ATK. 30% innate, 30% for guns and 30% for fists, so if you equip both a gun and a knuckle you will have a total of 90% ATK.
    Though his survivability also isn't too shabby. With innate 30% DEF, quite high base DEF and an innate 20% physical evasion combined with an 80% chance to ignore one fatal attack above 10% HP he's very likely to survive most physical attacks. Especially once we equip his own TMR on him, but we'll get to that later on.
    Rico also has innate 30% MP and 5% MP refresh and is resistant against blind, sleep and confusion. Which is always nice to have. Makes it easier to sustain / build him.

Two 50% killers against humans and machines increase his 10 man trial potential. The machine killer is more niche, however a 50% human killer in 10 man trials currently is something many want. Why? Because 8 out of 13 10 man trials are partially human, which means innately Rico does have a 25% damage increase against them (50% against Elnath). Though many later 10 man trials are in the 7* meta.

Rico has quite a few things going for him that are useful equally for beginners as for veterans. His innate dual wield makes it able to gear him a lot easier for events or 10 man trials while beginners also immediately have access to dualwield. Fair enough, but there's more to that.
    He has two types of Grenade abilities. Glass / Homing Grenades, both are quite similar. AoE 250% 1-Hit modifier with either an AoE 45% ATK/MAG break or an AoE 45% DEF/SPR break. This is handy for almost any type of event, it can be useful for 10 man trials if you need some time to get your breakers going or maybe to ditch your breakers entirely while new players would be able to apply decent AoE breaks early on.

For OTKO / burst strategies against human enemies, Rico can buff his own damage against them for 2 turns by 75% with Slingshot Boost. I can see this being useful to prepare him for the last phase in a 10 man trial, but it's rather niche. Especially because you can't bring dupes in 10 man trials.

If you are running low on HP / MP or generally need to hide Rico from a threshhold that is likely to kill him, you can always use Take Cover. He literally hides from the battle for 2 turns but in return heals him up fully in HP and MP. Probably more useful if you are running really low on MP, but then again you could guard and recover with someone else.
    The goold ol' spoony bard method.

Triple Spray's best aspect is that it's super annoy---- it generates a lot of LB crystals. Rico looked at King and thought himself that if King could do it, he can do it, too!
    Jokes aside, Triple Spray is a 3x random target 150% modifier with 7 hits and it's actually not a typcial barrage type move. It doesn't move, it's just casting a 7 hit chain three times in a row (6x with Dualwield) and it seems that it can perfectly chain against one enemy quite easily. Which would make it a 450% 21-Hit move technically. And a 21 hitter is ... really really long. Especially with Dualwield. This one will have a big chain modifier due to very high hitcount and backloaded damage.

Lastly Chaos Object Homing (COH) is his second chaining move. An AoE 420% 8-hit move. Yes, Rico is one of the few chainers who have a good AoE chaining move that can actually perfect chain, thus for events or story content with multiple enemies, two Ricos will do quite well.
    COH can perfectly chain with Prompto, Octoslash from Sephiroth and so on, making it a decent option if you lack chaining partners. For 10 man trials it's also not too bad due to Rico's innate 50% human killer.

Cons:
    Rico's
    kit itself is fine, there are only a few things I'd want to discuss.

Most notably his numbers. They are... mediocre. Nothing he does really stands out. Well, to be fair, he doesn't have many abilities in his kit either.

It's important to take a look at Triple Spray and COH for this one. Triple Spray against a single enemy will have a huge chain modifier with backloaded damage but has a base 450% modifier, making it mediocre.
    COH doesn't really fix this issue as it has a base 420% modifier. The worst thing about the two chaining abilities are the lack of imperils though. It either means you need external setup, which can sometimes be hard to get, or you use chaining partners. And when you use chaining partners, Triple Spray can't be used anymore because it requires two Ricos.

Another con is his LB in another way. More because its actually quite powerful with an AoE 1400% mod and 11-Hits, but Rico focuses way more on DW than he does on TDH / DH. Rico does not have any TDH passives nor imbues nor W ability. His mods are mediocre on the off turns and the lack of W Ability means that he can't deal a lot of damage with TDH. Using a dupe of Rico also means no innate imperils at all, decreasing the amount of damage again. The LB itself is great, but his kit really doesn't do a lot to make it actually worth using. Using chain partners also means that they won't be able to take advantage of his LB.

Rico is focusing pretty much only on damage outside of his breaks and his numbers aren't too high as you will see later on. There aren't really any other cons.

Side-Notes:
    We don't know anything about his future
    For now, he isn't a meta unit and unless he gets his 7* version quickly, he won't be for quite a while for sure.
    The issue is we are about to hit the 7* meta in probably a few weeks or max. one month. Being a collaboration unit means you are limited and probably will have to wait for a re-banner to get your upgrades. I'm not sure what they are planning and they did say Rico will get one, but that doesn't mean we will get him in the first / second batch.
    Thus we don't know his potential in the future, we only know that he will drop off super hard until he gets his.

Best In Slot:
    A simple dualwield build using Sparky for Prompto chaining partner or even external support. I will only use one copy of his own TMR for the BiS as its guaranteed once you have him. Using two of his TMRs would lead to 10 higher ATK and more evasion. No other limited TMRs included.
    Sparky (120 ATK, Thunder)
    Aigaion Arm (145 ATK)
    Prishe's Hairpin (45 ATK, 10% HP/MP)
    Training Clothes (20 ATK, 32 DEF, 20% MP)
    Protec Grappler G3 (40 ATK, 20% ATK, 25% Evasion)
    Champion's Belt (30 ATK/DEF, 20% ATK/DEF)
    Martial Arts Mastery (50% ATK)
    ADV 5 (40% ATK/DEF/SPR)
    2x Yang's TMR (80% ATK, 40% DEF)

Stats with Bahamut:
    4476 HP
    412 MP
    1198 ATK
    497 DEF
    269 SPR

55% Evasion

Arena:
    Rico can be a very good Arena unit
    . He can equip Bows who have a really high innate accuracy, he can AoE chain perfectly, he has innate 20% Evasion and can reach 100% evasion builds quite easily while he already has 3 status ailment protections and 50% human killer so you won't have to use too much ATK materias and focus more on his HP. He can definitely work here.

Rico Rodriguez [​IMG] Damage Output
    - Damage Comparisons -

I'll calculate his two different abilities, Triply Spray and Chaos Object Homing. Afterwards you can find a few damage comparisons in the maths followed up by a small conclusion regarding his damage output.
    Assuming 100% ATK buff
    ATK post 100% buff: 1215 LH | 1239 RH
    Assuming spark chains
    Assuming 50% Imperil

Average Chain Modifier: 3.7225

Turn X: (1244^2 * 1.5 * 3.7225 * 1.5 + 1244^2 * 3 * 4 * 1.5) + (1268^2 * 4.5 * 4 * 1.5) = 84228477

-> 13% lower than DW Orlandeau (95,302,125)
    -> 21% lower than DW Sephiroth's Octaslash (106,602,675)
    -> 37% lower than DH Prompto (132,404,448)
    -> 37% lower than DW Tidus (Turn 1-3 + Rotation: 132,576,415)
    -> 44% lower than DW Tidus (Only Rotation: 148,023,313)
    Assuming 100% ATK buff
    ATK post 100% buff: 1215 LH | 1239 RH
    Assuming spark chains
    Assuming 50% & 60% Imperil

Turn X: (1244^2 x 4.2 x 3.8335 + 1268^2 x 4.2 x 4 ) x Y
    Y = 50% Imperil -> 77891784
    Y = 60% Imperil -> 83084569

-> 9% lower than Triple Spray (50% Imperil)
    -> 2% lower than Triple Spray (60% Imperil)
    If you are using two Ricos and there aren't multiple enemies you battle, always go for Triple Spray. When using a chain partner such as Prompto or Sephiroth, definitely go for COH because the damage difference between COH and Triple Spray isn't big while the other chaining partners definitely deal more damage than him.
    Generally though his damage output is quite low.

Trust Master Reward:
    Did they try to meme us? Protec Grappler G3 doesn't only protec with evasion but it also increase attac with 40 ATK and 20% ATK (Rico only). All of the just cause 3 units gain an extra 20% ATK from this, but Rico will be the unit you want to equip it on.
    This TMR isn't bad. 40 flat ATK with 25% Evasion is really nice on TDH Evasion units. There aren't many, but there are some. For instance FD Noctis can utilise this or Demon Rain. However, while it is an increase, it isn't insane for them and definitely not essential. And for 100% evasion tanks that don't use TDH it's strictly worse than RoL. It also doesn't have the holy counters that recover your own MP.
    Unless you run someone like FD Evasion Noctis or Demon Rain, I wouldn't say it's worth it at all. It's more of a niche TMR, though since it's a raid, you are likely to get it either way. It's also BiS for Rico.
    If you lack RoL and want an evasion build, definitely grab it if you can.

Conclusion:
    Rico is mediocre
    If you don't have great gear or just started playing this game, Rico is really good. Innate DW, high base ATK with high innate ATK passives, access to a very common chain partner (Sephiroth), AoE chaining, decent MP and AoE breaks. He is basically one of the units you actually want to start with because of these.
    For more experienced players who have some gear / units already, I'd say he is a straight pass unless you are a fan or want to take the gamble that he becomes a great 7* unit. As of right now, his damage isn't even on Orlandeau's level who has been around for a long time. The lack of innate imperils and imbues makes him significantly worse in performance and relies on chain partners. His breaks can be really helpful and for Pod 153 shenanigans he's really good.
    In 10 man trials Rico does a lot better compared to regular trials due to his human killer and easy build options through innate DW, but we got Sephiroth recently who is strictly better. Higher human killer and way higher damage output. The breaks can definitely help you out a lot if you have trouble surviving or lack a breaker. If you need them, Rico will get a great boost in performance.
    The only main reason you want to get him is either his TMR, your lack of chaining partners or for collection purposes. I do not recommend going for him unless you lack any of these. He can do his job just fine, he will perform quite well in 10 man trials but in comparison to our current meta units he doesn't do too well.
    Especially with the current Nichol banner, I'd suggest to use your savings on him.
    Why? Just.... No. Stop this joke.

[​IMG]
    (PS: You can't prevent me from using memes, dear EU)

Character Design: 7/10
    Sprite: 6/10
    Chainer: 7/10
    Trust Master Reward: 9/10
    Arena: 8.5/10
    Limit Burst: 6/10 (due to the bad synergy with his kit)
    Future Proof: ?/10
    Free 2 Play: 8.5~9/10
    Pay 2 Play: 6.5/10
    Personal Rating: 7/10
    Optimal Rating: 7.5/10

[On-Banner Reviews]
    No banner reviews

Wanna support me?
    I put a lot of work into this!
    Everything helps
    My Patreon

I won't go for him and I won't daily on this banner. However, I will enjoy more raids without... the reload... button... PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN.
    Also, my apologies. The review was shorter than usual. Rico doesn't have a lot to talk about in his kit sadly. I hope you understand. Have a great day if you're reading this!

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Caliber, Phinny, Kaer and 50 others like this.
  2. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Back from Vacation Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
  3. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
    Thanks meme for your Hard work.

About this Rico guy, he doesn't have much appealing fro me, maybe because i haven't played the Serie yet.

4. Neoexdeath2020

Neoexdeath2020 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    GLS/FD Tidus/Fry/TT/Barb/etc
    I liked it for the jab at EU internet censorship.

Halcón Negro and Goddess Nyx like this.
  5. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    The change to Art.13 is just stupid.

Caliber and Nine like this.
  6. RenShin

RenShin Ascended Member Supporter

Leads:
    TTerra/OK/Noct/kmevent
    tmr is not for TDH units... "There aren't many, but there are some."

im going to wait for people who use this thing on units with innate evasion (like as you said, noctis)...

and im going to wait for gimu to create a unit that can be better at TDH than noctis...

anyways, like because review is great. not hyped for the unit.... and i better wait for another noctis than get that unit....

7. Talien

Talien Element resistl0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    110 all resist/200 fire resist Basch
    Should've been named "Reject Rodrigues" for his FFBE appearance. And to think we all made jokes about Rayjack being bad.....this guy is a new level of "meh".

Halcón Negro likes this.
  8. Arnatuile

Arnatuile Wolf of Lapis Street Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Question: is the back-loaded damage on Triple Spray more like GLS's backloaded damage on one of her chaining skills (can't remember which one now) or more like Hyou's? Do you have this info already @Memel0rd?

9. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    More like Sakura's. The first 6 hits have each 10% and the 7th hit has a 40% mod.

Sephiroth's Octoslash and Rico's COH both have a Hyou type backload damage. The first 7 hits are each at 6% while the eighth hit has 58% of the total damage.

10. Arnatuile

Arnatuile Wolf of Lapis Street Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. This doesn't indeed save him then.

11. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I already featured them in the Seph calcs for this review and for his own. DefiantHermit showed me how to easily have access to the chain modifiers for backloaded chains.

Caliber likes this.
  12. Neoexdeath2020

Neoexdeath2020 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    GLS/FD Tidus/Fry/TT/Barb/etc
    But it saves us from having to pull on this troll banner ::ink::

Niji likes this.
  13. Mcleod

Mcleod Immortal0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TDH Chuck Norris
    [​IMG]

Good job memeboi!

Sarutobi, Halcón Negro and Khidir like this.
  14. HalfFlaccidCelery

HalfFlaccidCelery Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ang / TT / TDH FD Tidus
  15. Donpru

Donpru Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2, Christine, Barbie
    Can he be fun to use? I'm quite enjoying my Laras in SE's except maybe the c7rrent one because of too easy enemies unlike the past ones

16. TheRunawayGirl

TheRunawayGirl Smug Baku VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Anything you might desire
    Wow, you really don't like people saying "first" in your threads...

17. TheRunawayGirl

TheRunawayGirl Smug Baku VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Anything you might desire
    Well, time to tell my brother how bad of a unit he is compared with what I've got.
    ...He's still gonna ask me to pull, though. Tbh, I wouldn't mind that TMR, since I don't have much Evade/ATK equipment in accessory.

18. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    :cool:

Fahri99, Caliber and Mcleod like this.
  19. Khidir

Khidir Ascended Member

Yay ticket savings this week! Thanks Gumi!

Memel0rd likes this.
  20. Consarn

Consarn Grounded for life... NOT! VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Alice, Sakuya and Yukarin
    i deadass thought he was some world cup dude