1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Savior of Souls Lightning (Final Fantasy LR XIII)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Boom Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: NV Tifa
    There hasn't been a review in a month.
    A bunch of things happened.

For one, I had to write exams. I still have one left but that's in late march or early april, depending on which date they'll assign me to, therefore I can take a breather.
    On the other hand three slighter factors played a role in all of this. I've had a decent dent in my productivity due to university in general, lacked the motivation to write reviews and even as I'm writing this, it's a bit of a chore to sit through. I'll have to get back into it, don't think it's FFBE specific as that's not the only thing affected by the lack of motivation.

On top of the lack of motivation aside from working out caused by the exams, I've also experienced health issues.
    During trying to perform more advanced exercises I badly injured both of my feet and wasn't able to walk with supports for the first week, afterwards were able to walk a bit with supports and for the past week haven't been using supports, though there's still some pain left. It'll still take time until my feet are back in shape.
    And then recently our flatsharing apartment has been exposed to the Rona, luckily we all tested negative.
    There's also something I'm keeping private as of for now that happened today as I'm writing, therefore you'll see this on monday and not as originally thought on sunday. Need to take a breather :P.

That's it for me, long story, time to get back into reviewing after a month. I'm currently working on each bit as I go.

Disclaimer: I don't have the Lassgen and ... Cleomstar (?) numbers yet, Cleomstar seems to be close to Sora whereas Lassgen has higher average damage than anybody and the highest burst from the chainer department.

Unit Review: Savior of Souls Lightning by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG][NM]
    [​IMG][BS]

TMR: Night Lotus (Heavy Shield) - 50 ATK, 140 DEF, 50 MAG, 95 SPR, 50% ATK/MAG TDH w/ Shields

STMR: Indestructible Light - Increase chain modifier cap (100%)

Vision Card: The Savio'rs Descent:
    Lvl 1-10: 40~80 ATK/MAG
    Lvl 4: 50% ATK/MAG w/ Shields
    Lvl 7: 50% ATK/MAG w/ Shields
    Lvl 10: 50% ATK/MAG TDH w/ Shields

Overview:
    Savior of Souls Lightning or simply SoS Lightning... or just Lightning? Too many lightnings despite a clear sky.

Lightning got another form and once again jumps into the meta! Just a look at her base stats is delicious, amazing base HP, DEF and SPR with monstrous ATK. To be fair, her offensive passives aren't that high with only 200% TDH and 100% ATK, but in return you get 100% HP, DEF and SPR, too! Even 50% physical evasion.
    She has the unique TDH with shields, 200% ATK and DEF if you wear a shield or not. For pure damage, you're mostly just getting 200% ATK TDH as the flat DEF provided by her BiS build is almost non-existent and if you were to use a shield, you couldn't get the Two-Handed weapon variance. More interestingly, Lightning has a 5x chain cap naturally with any build. I'll talk more about it later once I mention her STMR.
    Aside from that, Lightning has awesome 50% resistances against fire, ice, lightning and wind. Her 50% all status resistances aren't that impressive. You're most likely either going to equip a ribbon on her anyway or nothing as there are almost no materias that give exactly 50% status ailment resistances while being actually great overall. She also has stop and charm resistance, which is great if you were to use her as provoker.

If you do equip her own TMR shield (or STMR), she will gain 50% auto provoke, making her extremely easy to get both provoke and evasion up to 100% while possibly having amazing natural bulk and still high ATK to provide actually not bad side damage. I left a build suggestion in the build section.

Lightning can T-Cast everything but ATB Charge, which we will use many times. It not only provides an on-demand 300% ATK/MAG buff and 150% LB damage buff that lasts 6 turns, but also fills our LB by half. This is definitely worth using up a turn for.
    Aside from that, you can always use a break gauge specific ability as long as a sword is equipped to her, though in our case we're going to use a gun due to the high TDH variance.

For easy provoking, in case you're lacking the gear, she got you covered with a 5 turn active provoke. Aside from that, it also buffs your fire, ice, lightning and wind resistance by another 90% for an easy 140% total on all four without having done any gearing. So, you know, even if you're auto-provoke ready, there's still a good chance you might want to use it.

Her imbue is mostly beneficial but only on the rarest of occasions you might not want to use it since it's an AoE lightning imbue that also boosts all lightning damage dealt.

You can follow it up either with her Bolting Strike AoE lightning chain with a 7000% modifier that also provides the much needed 120% imperil or with a non-elemental ST 7200% chain and AMoE frames that has a self 75% mitigation similar to Cecil. This is huge for attacks that bypass evasion or for magic attacks in general that are ging to hit her.

Burst is good, buffs are better and useful buffs for your entire team? That's a win win win.
    Army of One once again makes a return as a 11000% AoE lightning chain that afterwards boosts her own lightning damage by 30% and continues to provide an AoE 2 mirage stack for your entire team.
    As it's by far her highest form of damage due to rather lacking on-demand modifiers, any form of LB support can amp up her average damage heavily while also giving your team much more longevity in fights.

Brave Shift:
    SoS Lightning's
    BS is available at Turn 1 with no cooldown to go back to her normal form while having a 1 turn cooldown after shifting back to go to her BS. The BS duration itself is infinite.

In her BS form, she has a big decrease in ATK but a big increase in MAG. Nicely phrased, aye?
    Her ATK/DEF TDH swap to MAG/SPR, which can be interesting in terms of tanking. You can prepare both forms for incoming turns to tank them better than you did prior. Though I'll gladly say that her MAG damage potential is muuuch lower than her physical due to lacking Quad-Cast, lacking modifiers and her LB having four different elements at once.... you know I love that stuff. /s
    Jokes aside, her 50% physical evasion shifts to a 30% magical evasion. If you have amazing provoke / evasion gear, it's a massive boost to her tank performance if you stay in her BS form, though imo rather over the top and you can't deal nearly as much damage.

Lightning keeps her active provoke ability and her ATB Charge, while her break gauge one swaps from a sword requirement to rods.

Aside from her wind and lightning magic chain, both having a 7200% / 8000% modifier with Bolting Strike frames and 120% respective imperils, she gains a plethera of breaks. Her Grandis ability I'm not necessarily sold on as it's a 18000% non-elemental chain and we know how well that works for most mages.

For one, she has two on-demand AoE breaks: a 85% MAG and SPR one. They can build up chains, too, but are dependant on spark chains since they're non-elemental.
    On top of that, she has a ST 85% fullbreak. Sadly on a 5 turn cooldown. It has perfect uptime in terms of turns, but once one dispel is included, boom. Units that have buff dispels are a big help or simply having decent ATK backup breaks.

For her LB, I'm somewhat sad to say that at least I'm absolutely not a fan of it. Two thirds of it anyway.
    Let's look at the good third first. A ST effectively 3 turn 90% SPR break. Absolutely monstrous and a big damage increase for mages compared to a 85% break. If that's all you want to use Lightning for, tanking and breaking, we're good.
    But the rest of the Limit Burst feels like a weird wet slap in your face. It has a base 10000% modifier and could be useful, but it has fire, ice, lightning and wind damage attached to it. So you'd need 120% imperils for all these abilities to just have it on par with a singular elemental LB.
    Afterwards you imbue yourself with these four elements for 5 turns. Yeah... no.

How does she fare in the meta?
    Lightning
    does well overall.

She has too many different ways to use her but she does super well in two, technically three, of them.

For one, you can use her as a regular damage dealer. As a physical chainer, she has really high lightning damage with great burst coming from her Limit Burst. Despite it being expensive, she can get it somewhat reliably due to her ATB Charge.
    With additional LB support, Lightning has a lot more potential to pop off as her buffs all have high duration and she could possibly burst back to back to back.

She also makes for an excellent dodge provoke tank with breaks. Though it's faulty.
    As long as you proc her TMR ability, through her TMR or STMR, you can get to 100% provoke and evasion extremely easily due to high innate stats. You will lose out on the 2-Handed variance for damage, but her ATK can still get above 4000 easily while having good bulk and the necessary stat requirements. Her side damage is actually quite impressive as such.
    She has support chains in both forms for Boltring Strike + AMoE and technically, just for tankiness, it'd be better to stay in her Brave Shift. Harder to maintain the 100% evasion, but she gets 200% SPR TDH as well as 30% magic evasion.
    The only issue are her breaks, which, while 100% uptime on them, can be interfered by a mere dispel. You can only use them every 5 turns. To be fair, you can re-apply a 85% MAG / SPR break easily, but the ATK portion might be tricky. If you plan out everything properly, it shouldn't be a huge issue as long as you got a decently strong ATK break as a backup.
    Depending on which form you're in, she also has a 100% chance to counter ANY damage with an AoE 250% SPR or DEF buff. If you swap between her forms a lot, you can easily take advantage of that.

For Dark Vision she also makes for a very role compressive lightning damage support, imbuing all allies with Lightning while boosting their damage just like that, providing good damage through ST chains or LB and provoking / breaking. Her innate 50% demon killer will come in handy more often while her more specific 150% fairy killer will be a huge help in gearing once you do face them.

SoS Lightning's STMR is incredibly specific as of right now. It allows any unit to increase their chain cap by 100%.... though it's a bit misleading.
    The chain cap can be increased either through this STMR or through TDW specific passives units have. Not every unit with TDW has the 6x chain cap. But you can't increase a unit, who has the 6x chain cap already, even further to 7x. It's capped at 6x.
    Therefore, for these units, this STMR is mostly useless unless it's better going the TDH route.
    For TDH units this is a big deal as it offers a hefty amount of damage with no conditions. Mages, that lack the 6x chain cap, will also benefit from this. Lightning herself does, too, as it allows her to get the 6x cap with a TDH build due to her innate 5x cap. Definitely worth moogling if you do end up getting her.

Build + Maths:

[NM] ATK post 300% buff: 4976
    Assuming spark chains

Rotation:
    [NM] Turn 1: ATB Charge
    [NM] Turn 2: Sparkboost + Electric Blitz + Fatal Sweep
    [NM] Turn 3: Limit Burst
    [NM] Turn 4: ATB Charge
    [NM] Turn 5: Fatal Sweep x3
    [NM] Turn 6: Limit Burst

[NM] Turn 1: 0
    [NM] Turn 2: [ 4976^2 x 70 x 3.6115 x 1.6 + 4976^2 x 72 x 5 x 2.2 ] x 1.5 x 1.15 = 51104387798
    [NM] Turn 3: 4976^2 x ( 110 x 5.4 ) x 4.81 x 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.15 = 268475119867
    [NM] Turn 4: 0
    [NM] Turn 5: [ 4976^2 x 72 x 3.445 + 4976^2 x 72 x 5 ] x 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.3 = 64587754507
    [NM] Turn 6: 4976^2 x ( 110 x 5.4 ) x 4.81 x 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.3 = 303493613763

Average Turn 1-6: 114,610,145,989
    -> 136% of Riku's Damage ( 84,199,496,578 )
    -> 104% of Rain & Fina's Damage ( 109,539,303,735 )
    -> 103% of Locke -Neo Vision-'s Damage ( 110,809,779,499 )
    -> 102% of Onion Knight -Neo Vision-'s Damage ( 112,264,942,635 )
    -> 98% of Sora's Damage ( 115,905,303,716 )

Character Design: 9/10
    Sprite: 7.5/10
    Chainer: 8.5/10
    Provoker: 9/10
    Trust Master Reward: Uh.../10
    STMR: 9.5/10
    Vision Card: 7.5/10
    Arena: 4/10
    Limit Burst: 9/10
    Future Proof: 8.5/10
    Dark Visions: 8.5/10
    Free 2 Play: 9.5/10
    Pay 2 Play: 9/10
    Personal Rating: 9/10
    Optimal Rating: 9/10

Conclusion:
    Savior of Souls Lightning
    is a beastly unit, as all Lightnings are. Or were.
    She's not the highest in terms of pure damage but brings a lot to the table. Especially versatility.
    Her current burst damage is great, locked to lightning damage, but still high. It's around Sora's burst without STMRs.
    But, as I'm a sucker for these kind of units, I appreciate her a lot more as a provoker. Especially in the long run. SoS Lightning has amazing bulk while being able to focus on a lot of ATK, has AMoE as T-Cast, which is an easily accessable type of chain, and even if flawed has strong breaks. Other breakers such as Locke and OK do have a slight niche because of that but it can be worked around for sure.
    The gimmick of having TDH available despite equipping shields is a tad weird, but could work much better on units that scale with DEF. Since our DEF weapons are shit.
    Perhaps I'm looking at it from a wrong angle but I do think that she is a tad overrated. Her damage isn't the highest while also being locked and her breaks are flawed. The latter can be fixed for sure without too much trouble.
    Despite that I still think she's worth picking up if you're not specifically saving up for anything in the near-ish future. Even if it's only for her STMR.

[​IMG]

One month break and I feel a tad out of the loop, gotta get back in it. Please don't mind sharing your thoughts on Lightning as a rather overloaded unit as her will have different point of views.

If you want to support me,
    check out my profil for my

Patreon and PayPal

::rudecat2:: Thanks! ::rudecat2::

Memel0rd out

2. Bartleby

Bartleby Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    NV Terra, NV Physalis, Eldyrn, Riku
    Thanks, Meme!

Memel0rd likes this.
  3. Frosty Toast

Frosty Toast Polyhedral VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    511 684 224
    Leads:
    Gone, reduced to
    atoms
    Big Guy is back.
    Hope you're doing better and I wish you a speedy recovery! :D

Memel0rd likes this.
  4. hotaru251

hotaru251 "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    he kept soemthign secret...is he getting engaged secretly?

also glad for review and glad you avoided the rona! (it hit my home months ago and i found out i am asymptomatic.)

Wdiggums likes this.
  5. fletcha

fletcha ฅʕ•̫͡•ʔฅ . ʕʘˑ̫ʘʔ . ʕʘ‿ʘʔ . (´ᴥ`) VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    XWQL, O Zyrus, Esther, WOL Bartz
    Every time I see lightning bolting strike chains I think if Esther. ::sick:: Sigh. What a team they'd made if they gave the bunny a boost!
    For now, Kryla will be SS Lightning's BFF with that all-element imperil.

Otherwise, welcome back Meme! Dang that was some extreme workout. I wish you full recovery.

I was trying to find ways to make SS Lightning's magic form seem useful, but couldn't really. Here's a list of chain partners for her magic wind/lightning/non-element.

Cylian likes this.
  6. MikePro

MikePro Elly la besto waifu Spooky VIP

A review from meme!~ those are super-rare nowadays quickly ::snap::::snap::

Thanks for the review and hope you are ok. Now my thoughts on 2 things..

First her bs lb can be used as sealing in trials like asura ext we had recently...
    Give her holy magic, earth + dark weapon, kokoryu or leviathan for flood and boom she can seal everything.
    Wait for gilga ext ::ink::

Second thing, we geting in the era of bosses without passive stats again...so for upcoming dark visions and some trials let me just say 90% spirit breaks is cheating.

7. illy

illy i'll make a cup of coffee for your head VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    beautiful

8. BigNBald5

BigNBald5 NV Caius Ballad, please! VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    open
    Well, so far ive seen a build with 4700+ atk, with 1400 def to go with that 6X cap while equipping her shield. even without the 2H variance, that is pretty damn sick.

My build currently has over 4k atk, 1700+ def, 100% auto provoke, 100% evasion. She is one tough unit if handled properly to kill.

I cant wait to use her on something other than DV or this King Mog event. SMH

Build: (this lightning is fully stat pot limit broken except in HP)
    Durandal (Vaan STMR)
    Night Lotus
    Rider's Helm (just for def boost plus flat atk, can change this if you want)
    Darklord's Armor (Veritas of the Dark STMR) (can change as needed, alt is Flamelord's armor for me)
    Protective Pendant+
    Moonshade Earring (Lilisette STMR)
    Courage to move on (AC Cloud TMR)
    So cute it's Criminal (20% draw attack)
    Battle Intelligence (Regina STMR)
    The Astrals Protection (Crown Prince Noctis TMR)

Edit: I used her as provoker on last boss rush, she was key to making Tiamat a LOT easier if you arent using super burst units.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    frithsblessing and Memel0rd like this.
  9. Cylian

Cylian "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    XWQL main.
    208ish
    Hoping that you are fine now. Sounded serious to me ... ::rudecat17::

I pulled for Lightning (and wasted more lapis in the rainbow banner, luckily I finally got a Rem) because I literally got bored. But, the STMR is really something interesting. The unit as well. The newest Provoke/Evader, indeed ...
    My thoughts are similar. And, thank you for the list of chaining partners too. ::up::

fletcha likes this.
  10. iBuko

iBuko “Common sense is not that common” VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    868 418 572
    Welcome back!
    Thanks for your review.

Memel0rd likes this.
  11. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Boom Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I am, don't worry :) I'm not someone who gets emotionally pulled down for more than a few hours.

Cylian likes this.
  12. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    you call me beautiful? ::rudecat2::

illy and Frosty Toast like this.
  13. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I am, don't worry ::rudecat1::

Frosty Toast likes this.
  14. Lukahn

Lukahn VIP VIP

I love that one of the builds use Irvine’s TMR!

15. Pristan

Pristan What It Says On The Tin VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    OK, my guess. It was scuba diving lessons and that's why breathing is such a deal...
    Wait...
    I'm being informed this this not part of a Clod game and there are no points awarded for guessing the private thing.

Glad there's no Rona for you though.
    Sad Pris.
    This was what I was actually hoping for. I was hoping that she was an NV dodge/provoke tank with AMOE/BStrike chains and breaks. I guess she's just a simple STMR holder for me after all.

16. KylarHaern

KylarHaern "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    BB Rem, WHR, ACC, Sol
    Glad to see you back! I hope you continue to recover quickly and get back to feeling good with a good schedule - not for FFBE stuff - but for life stuff!

17. bwnyc

bwnyc "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    NV Terra, NVA Tifa, Event...
    Definitely happy to see another review from @Memel0rd! Not the same without you doing reviews.

18. Azor

Azor Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandu, Rem, Mystea, Christine
    Is there any new materia with ATK and MAG TDH with shield in near future? I can't max her ATK and MAG TDH with shield right now :(

19. Obstkeks

Obstkeks "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lassgen|NV Terra|Bonus
    Do you want to use her as a pure DPS? If so, skip her TMR entirely.

20. Jianto

Jianto Ascended Member Supporter

Good to see you again, the other 2 lightnings NV are also good and useful i'm using radiant lightning and original lightning and they both perform well even at 2/1 star NV.