1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Sol (Final Fantasy Brave Exvius)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Warrior of Light Bartz
    One of Hess' Eight Sages, who was sealed in a crystal on Lapis for 700 years. During that time, he was tainted by the evil will of humans, causing him to hate all forms of life. Convinced that death is the only solution, he tried to destroy Lapis using Chaotic Darkness. He says that Rain's hypocrisy burns brighter than the sun, while he is the truth-illuminating moon.

Greetings! Hope you've been doing well.

This time around we have a very cool story character, Sol! Unfortunately with no CG animation but that's fine, his LB animation still kicks arse!
    He got some nice global buffs which do put him in a better position and we will discuss how he compares to the other meta mages as well as his kit. Since he is a damage dealer I will keep this within the same style of the banner reviews.

Hope you enjoy the read!

I'm also putting in more effort into the ranking system at the end from now on and will make some harsher rankings. Therefore it won't be only 9s and 9.5s, so if you see perhaps a 7.5 now, it won't have the same meaning as before.
    Just to clarify, the range in Top-Tier units will be 8.5-9.5, Mid-Tier around 8-6 and below that simply... not good. This is a powercreep game afterall.

And lastly: For those who don't know, the rankings will be updated within tomorrow and thursday's work.

Sol Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprite:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

TMR: Astral Robe (Robe) - 15 DEF, 65 MAG, 42 SPR, 10% MP
    STMR: Heliolite (Accessory) - 70 MAG, -30% MP consumption

Overview:
    Sol
    just looks so godly. The true power of a mage.

His basestats except for DEF are really good for a mage. Decent HP with great MP/MAG and SPR. With his own TMR he has a total of 40% HP, 70% MP, 20% DEF/SPR as well as 150% MAG with a rod and most importantly: Dualwield with 100% innate MAG TDW. You can reach up to 200% MTDW but that's not as easy as MTDH. Still, 100% MTDW is really good.
    While lacking in defensive passives, due to TDW it's quite easy to reach higher ones without too much effort by either enhancing your rods for HP/DEF/SPR or hitting the cap so easily that he can equip more tanky TMRs. Unlike MTDH builds he doesn't lose as MAG when swapping e.g. an accessory for extra tankiness. Sol even has a permanent 10% phys and magic mitigation buff, which can be helpful if you don't bring those yourself or if the enemy likes to dispel your units.
    On top of it he has a 100% guts passive when equipped with his TMR / STMR, which grants him a welcomed boost of survivability.
    Sol has innate resistances against paralyze, confusion, petrification, stop and charm, which makes him a lot easier to use in many fights as well as a great mage for Arena against all those pesky Liliths and Healers with Frozen Hurricane.

It is important to note that Sol has permanent W-Cast at 6*, permanent T-Cast at 7 star and high access to Quad-Cast as well as occasional access to Penta-Cast on ALL of his abilities.

As always, here is a brief list of abilities that are either not worth mentioning or unnecessary to his kit and should be avoided. If they have a niche use, I will mention it:
    Extra Charge, Mangled Mind, Path to Destruction, Ultima, Holy.

Before we dive into his offensive abilities, Sol has a few but neat abilities that are actually useful.

First up Sol has access to Dualcast as well as Reflect and Dispelga. If you equip any Esper onto him with a bar-ga spell you can even grant him the ability to use that alongside Dispelga or Reflect. While the bar-ga spell on a mage is likely to never see the light, it might come in handy just this once and you'll be thankful. Probably not.

Sol has two abilities that are quite remarkable if you are lacking these two things: A SPR breaker and a reliable MP battery.
    With Soul Suction he can chain for very weak damage (can be used to ramp up the chains though) and also recovers 100 MP on each cast. Now the issue is: it costs 64 MP, so you're actually just recovering 36 MP, but who knows, it might help.
    Other than that his Offering ability can easily make your breaker focus on ATK/MAG break (such as Machina or Beowulf). Similar to what Emperor has, this one is an AoE 3 turn 70% SPR break. Be careful though, it also breaks your entire party except for Sol. Now this shouldn't be an issue since most meta healers (Lenna, Myra, Folka, Aerith) have break immunities in their kit or can cure them. If you do not have break resistance buffs on your team, you probably shouldn't use this.

Lastly in terms of utility, Sol has an AoE 3 turn 75% light / dark resistance buff that can be used at any time. This is likely to be the best out of all the previously mentioned abilities as light as well as dark damage is quite common and it's arguably a pretty high and low-demand resistance buff on top of it.

Regarding his chaining capabilities: All of Sol's chains have Chaos Wave frames. They aren't too hard to chain in my opinion and his strongest chains focus on the good old stacking mechanic. So you better make Sol survive the enemy attacks.

His first set of chains include Dark, Light and Fire Chaos Wave chains that all have a 420% modifier as well as an AoE 3 turn 75% imperil to their respective elements. These will only be used if you have to dispel the enemy or they self-dispel themselves. We will get to that later on.

His second set is also split up in Dark, Light and Fire chains. They all start out as 450% chains, gaining 200% modifiers for each use up to 6 times. Which means after only 2 turns you will have a 1650% modifier that can be casted 4 times without any real issues, which is hefty by itself. If he dies and you have his LB or his CD abilites up it's quite easy for him to come back.

His Limit Burst isn't amazing therefore I'll cover it before the CDs. It's a 15-hit 3000% non-elemental chain that costs 36 crysts and enables Quad-Cast for the following 4 turns. It sounds good but his own CD is better. This LB will be used if you died and want your Quad-Cast back.

His two CD abilities play a big role.

Sage's Wisdom is available at Turn 1 with a 5 turn cooldown and imperils Dark, Light and Fire by 100% for 4 turns. Which effectively counts as 5 turns, therefore a 100% uptime on these imperils. It also boosts his own MAG by 200% for 5 turns and grants him Quad-Cast for the following 4 turns. So unless Sol dies or dispels are being used, this CD will always have a 100% uptime on its effects and will be used every time it's up.

Chaotic Nova on the other hand is focusing on a single but strong burst turn. It's available at Turn 7 and by itself has an effective backloaded 3600% non-elemental modifier that also fills up your LB gauge by 20.
    It also grants the ability Power of Chaos for ONE USE, which means you can use it whenever you want to.

Power of Chaos itself restores 50% HP/MP and grants him Penta-Cast on the next turn. It also auto-casts a 1 turn 250% MAG buff and a 1750% modifier boost on Devastation on the following turn.
    Devastation itself is a useless ability. A non-elemental chain with a 250% modifier and 50% SPR ignore.
    However... with the 1750% modifier boost it goes up to a 2000% modifier. Once we take the 50% SPR ignore into account it goes up to a 4000% modifier. So... With Penta-cast we're looking at a 20000% modifier at that turn. Sadly it's non-elemental but it's still a lot of damage!

How does he fare in the meta?
    How does Sol hold up? Well.. Due to his GL buffs he actually got up to the #2 position in damage.
    Who's the #1? It's actually not Tsukiko. It's the globally buffed Kimono Fina. Sadly I didn't review her however I've included her damage in the math section. She deals absurd amounts of damage and from what I've seen her buff in GL was so significant in terms of damage that she even outdamages the future CG Dark Fina. Pretty wild stuff.

Mages' most important appearance is on the currently added trial Scorn of the Wicked Moon. There Tsukiko performs better than Sol due to her massive demon killers as well as double guts passive. Outside of that Sol is definitely better than her since he doesn't lose as much MAG when building for survivability and he also deals overall higher damage as long as you aren't facing demon or fairy types.

Sol has 3 different elements to use as well as non-elemental (but significantly weaker), which is the same as Tsukiko but Kimono Fina only has access to Ice, Light and non-elemental in-case this matters for you, overall I wouldn't use this information to judge these units.

If you lack a good MP battery or don't want to use items like Elixir it can be hard to maintain Sol's MP consumption as one turn of his stacking chains eats up 320+ MP. Even with almost 1k MP it'll run out REALLY quickly.

To Sol's defence: Kimono Fina's BiS build has laughably low defensive stats with 7500 HP, <300 DEF and 430 SPR. Of course it can be optimised, but she also focuses on MTDH.

Sol is the easiest out of the top three to build for defensive stats without losing a lot of HP and while he doesn't have Tsukiko's amazing double guts passive, he has a reliable 100% guts passive.

He's generally a strong mage that lasts for a good amount of time and can be used in many scenarios due to stop / charm resistance, MTDW and his good elemental versatility.

His TMR isn't too amazing since Lordly Robes from the parameter rewards exists, but his STMR can be very beneficial not even due to the huge boost of 70 MAG but also -30% MP consumption. Mages that use Quad-Cast a lot tend to run out of MP very quickly. This will help.

Build + Maths:
    Stardust Rod (FFBE) (167 MAG)
    Laevateinn (130 MAG)
    Shiva's Tiara (3 DEF, 51 MAG)
    Astral Robe (15 DEF, 65 MAG, 42 SPR, 10% MP) + 50% MTDW
    2x Facade of Balance (90 MAG, 40% MP, 60% MAG)
    Adventurer V (40% DEF/MAG/SPR)
    Light's Vengeance (40% HP, 30% MAG/SPR)
    Untrue Saint (60% MAG)
    Scepter of Justice (60% MAG)

Stats with Shiva 3*:
    9506 HP
    927 MP
    2531 MAG
    353 DEF
    596 SPR

MAG post 200% buff: 3093
    MAG post 250% buff: 3236
    Assuming spark chains

Rotation:
    Turn 1: Sage's Wisdom (CD) + Solar Divinity x 2
    Turn 2: Solar Divinity x 4
    Turn 3: Solar Divinity x 4
    Turn 4: Solar Divinity x 4
    Turn 5: Solar Divinity x 4
    Turn 6: Sage's Wisdom (CD) + Solar Divinity x 2
    Turn 7: Solar Divinity x 3 + Chaotic Nova (CD)
    Turn 8: Solar Divinity x 4
    Turn 9: Solar Divinity x 4
    Turn 10: Power of Chaos + Solar Divinity x 3
    Turn 11: Devastation x 5

Turn 1: [ 3093^2 x 4.5 x 3.7225 + 3093^2 x 6.5 x 4 ] x 2 = 817972406
    Turn 2: [ 3093^2 x 8.5 x 3.7225 + 3093^2 x ( 10.5 + 12.5 + 14.5 ) x 4 ] x 2 = 3475396165
    Turn 3: [ 3093^2 x 16.5 x 3.7225 + 3093^2 x 16.5 x 3 x 4 ] x 2 = 4963584083
    Turn 4: [ 3093^2 x 16.5 x 3.7225 + 3093^2 x 16.5 x 3 x 4 ] x 2 = 4963584083
    Turn 5: [ 3093^2 x 16.5 x 3.7225 + 3093^2 x 16.5 x 3 x 4 ] x 2 = 4963584083
    Turn 6: [ 3093^2 x 16.5 x 3.7225 + 3093^2 x 16.5 x 4 ] x 2 = 2437988747
    Turn 7: [ 3093^2 x 16.5 x 3.7225 + 3093^2 x 16.5 x 2 x 4 ] x 2 + 3093^2 x 36 x 4 = 5078383871
    Turn 8: [ 3093^2 x 16.5 x 3.7225 + 3093^2 x 16.5 x 3 x 4 ] x 2 = 4963584083
    Turn 9: [ 3093^2 x 16.5 x 3.7225 + 3093^2 x 16.5 x 3 x 4 ] x 2 = 4963584083
    Turn 10: [ 3093^2 x 16.5 x 3.7225 + 3093^2 x 16.5 x 2 x 4 ] x 2 = 1850393207
    Turn 11: 3236^2 x 40 x 3.245 + 3236^2 x 40 x 4 x 4 = 8061111580

Average Turn 1-11: 4,230,833,308
    -> 112% of Grim Lord Sakura's damage ( 3,770,147,808 )
    -> 110% of Circe's damage ( 3,858,277,843 )
    -> 103% of Tsukiko's damage ( 4,103,554,715 )
    -> 64% of Kimono Fina's damage ( 6,591,978,437 )

Character Design: 8/10
    Sprite: Epic/10
    Chainer: 9/10
    Trust Master Reward: 7.5/10
    STMR: 8.5~9/10
    Arena: 9.5/10
    Limit Burst: 7/10
    Future Proof: 8/10
    Free 2 Play: 9/10
    Pay 2 Play: 8.5/10
    Personal Rating: 9/10
    Optimal Rating: 8.5/10

Conclusion:
    Sol, main antagonist to loved by many despite his weird personality.
    Focusing on the traditional mage stacking mechanic as well as having a ton of multi-casts, Sol's rotation is straight forward and easy to use, though also very MP demanding. Make sure to cover his weakness regarding MP and ideally gear him for the fight so he doesn't lose his stacks upon death.
    With access to 3 different elements and non-elemental chains as well as an occasional high burst, Sol does very well in the meta and as previously mentioned sits at the #2 spot in terms of pure damage output. He's the easiest out of Tsukiko and Kimono Fina to gear for survivability as he focuses on MTDW, meaning he doesn't lose a lot of MAG when swapping out an accessory and hits the MAG cap more easily.
    He has a few self-sufficient as well as even supportive abilities, most notably his AoE 75% light and dark resistance buff as well as access to Dispelga.
    Overall he's easy to use, deals a lot of damage and lasts for a good amount of time. And even then he can be used as a chain partner as Chaos Wave is by far the most common chain family for mages.
    Both his TMR and STMR aren't worth chasing for but if you get his STMR I guarantee you it will come in handy for many mages, including himself.
    Overall a great mage to pick up as both a starter and even a dolphin or whale that'll do the job and also has a single banner and doesn't share it with anyone else! His step up is okay.

[​IMG]
    PRAISE THE SOL.... wait no, that's not how it goes.

I've been having a ton of fun with MHW:Iceborne so far and I'm making the last preparations for speedrunning as well as setting up a few things for my YT channel.
    I've also decided to swap my major to Philosophy + German Studies and Literature since I'm interested in focusing more on writing in the future and most likely even focus on journalism. Even if I've been inconsistent, the past (almost) 3 years (soon) have been a ton of fun and I'm grateful for having this opportunity.

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Zbra!, Rezination, Flintzer0 and 57 others like this.
  2. Frosty Toast

Frosty Toast Arashi's Clone VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    511 684 224
    Leads:
    Event, 2B, Raegen
    First :D
    Nice review, thanks Meme! ::rudecat5::

CloakedTempest, Tamamo05 and Memel0rd like this.
  3. Raelf

Raelf "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Zeno, Regina
    Not late!

Great review, should I still pull if I already have Malphasie 7*?

Also, how's Olberic against future tanks?

Tamamo05 likes this.
  4. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Warrior of Light Bartz
    Malphasie can't really be classified as a mage, so if you're lacking a mage you probably should. :D

Similar as Sieghard, both are very much alike in terms of tankiness etc. Both will get outperformed by CG WoL and Galuf, though are great additions for the Tower Event where you have to bring 3 teams.

Raelf and CloakedTempest like this.
  5. Tonberry's Knife

Tonberry's Knife Ascended Member

Thank you for this review! I was waiting for it before deciding if I should pull and... I still don't know \o/

I am a F2P player with a nice amount of saved lapis (>30000). At this moment my best mage is Circe 7*, I also have Morgana 7* and HSU 7*. No Tsukiko and only 1 Kimono Fina 6*.

Could it be worth pulling for Sol to chain with my Circe? I don't have many mages in my friend list. I have a UoC Ticket ready, so I could also save my lapis and grab Kimono Fina at 7* immediately?

(I can mention that I am quite good right now with all other roles: 2 Esther, Elena, Charlotte, Yuraisha, MS Nichol, Folka, Myra, Fid, Wilhelm, Auron, Akstar... all at 7*.)

Thanks!

6. Act Chill

Act Chill Well-Known Member

Meme,

Are you going do a mini review for all the recent upgrades? They were very extensive and it would be awesome for your opinion!

Raelf and Tamamo05 like this.
  7. bwnyc

bwnyc "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Leads:
    Esther, Circe, 2B, Lilith, Sieghard
    I'm in a similar boat. Was happy to see that Sol isn't bad. I am tempted to pull for him now. Like you, Circe is my main mage (with HSU, DF, Barb, Rinoa rounding out my 7* mage roster...)

8. partydoc

partydoc Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    AKRain/Elena/Shadow Lord/Sol/WOL Bartz
    Hi Meme, good to have you back, hope you fully recovered from being sick! Great review, as always! Just wanted to mention that Christine's STMR, Winter Child, is a massive boost for his MAG... I know, you never use STMR for your builds, but still good to know! Even if mages are not really meta, I'm glad to have him. Besides Bloody Moon trial, in the Arena he is chaining everything to death together with my HS Ultima, but also TT is a good partner of course.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  9. Jatabo

Jatabo Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther, Mediena, Zargabaath
    "As stated by developers, Sol was intended to have a CG-animated Limit Burst, but this was scrapped because his visage was deemed too grotesque to be fully displayed".

Sol and Tamamo05 like this.
  10. Sefiros

Sefiros You can add me VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Rain/Bonus/Esther/Charlotte/Bartz
    Nope, Devastation has Absolute Zero chaining frames :rolleyes:

11. Jianto

Jianto Well-Known Member Supporter

Praise the Sol ::up::

Frosty Toast likes this.
  12. b3l14l

b3l14l Senior Noob VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Thanks for the review. Awesome stuff ::up::
    I was beyond stoked when I pulled a 2nd Sol (only got the guaranteed on the step-up). Without buffs and killers, his turn pentacast hit the dummy for a little over 200M. With Diabolos, Man Eater+ and Myra's Main Verse his turn 9 damage was 486M, no chain. I'm very happy with Sol :D

13. Sol

Sol Member

Global ID:
    ..Too true, amazing guide though I wish his TMRs would have included a large MP buff Sol is MP Hungry and I don’t really have a decent MP battery..

14. Tonberry's Knife

Tonberry's Knife Ascended Member

Bloody hell just got my second Kimono Fina from the last 40M ticket ::vplaugh::

So now I guess I can skip Sol.

15. Hillgigas209

Hillgigas209 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Bonus unit/tmrs/Xon farm
    I borrowed a guest Sol in story...
    ate lots of mp but fun to chain with Christines x2
    had wol Lenna just mp battery whole time and watch as I AZ and CW chain the whole place apart..
    l good for 3x LB mission cuz it filled fast!

That LB Tho... even if a low multiplier I love it!!
    , I can hardly watch as the skellington vomits up eww but pretty cool...

16. Sir_Renan

Sir_Renan Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Nice review Meme.

I got one of him, but I'm using a 7* tsukiko.
    Even knowing Sol is the best in questions of survivability, Tsukiko is performing better in my team because of the breaks.
    Buuut, I really hope I get another one because I liked his kit and LB a lot.

17. Tyro

Tyro Ascended Member

I pulled a Sol from the daily half draw. When it turned into a rainbow crystal I was hoping for my fourth Beatrix so I could finally have her STMR to replace Tomb Raider on my Esther. Now I do not know how to feel since I only have one Sol.

18. M!to

M!to ▀█▀ █ █▄ ▀█▀ VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Zeno
    I've pulled one Sol with tickets and probably will use an UoC at the end of event, my current best mage is Elly and Sol deals more than double Elly's damage

19. SamSTB

SamSTB Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    984 028 414
    Wanted Sol but bad resources planning so no Sol for me.

Thanks Meme for the review

20. Armando

Armando Active Member

Global ID:
    350 092 443