1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Terra (Final Fantasy VI)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Error 404: Long beard not found Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Auron | JP: Akstar
    A woman who appears in tales from another world, where she played a role in the great conflict between humankind and espers. She was born possessing magic, a thing thought to be impossible in her world. The Gestahlian Empire seized control of her mind and made her ... a Magitek soldier, yeah. Sounds about right. Today we will be talking about the half-esper, half-human woman from FF6 and her 6* awakening.

[​IMG]
    In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG]3*
    [​IMG] 4*
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Ultima - Magic damage (2.8x) with ignore SPR (25%) to all enemies

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 2765 (+390) Mag: 141 (+34)
    MP: 156 (+65) Def: 118 (+26)
    Atk: 122 (+26) Spr: 123 (+26)

4* : Lvl 45 - Mag +10%
    4*
    : Lvl 57 Guardian Mog - Remove all status ailments after battle
    6* : Lvl 1 Lifesaver - Increase LB gauge fill rate (100%) ; Increase MAG (20%)
    6* : Lvl 19 - MP +20%
    6* : Lvl 62 - Mag +20%
    6* : Lvl 47 Ray of Hope (25 MP) - Cure all status ailments to all allies
    6* : Lvl 100 Unlock Magic (21 MP) - Increase MAG (50%) to caster ; Enables the following abilities for 3 turns: Dualcast, Meteor, Chaos Wave
    4* : Lvl 33 Cura (7 MP) - Heal (400 HP, 3x) to all allies
    5* : Lvl 43 Firaga (18 MP / 1-Hit) - Fire magic damage (1.8x) to all enemies
    6* : Lvl 27 Dispelga (18 MP) - Remove all status effects from all enemies
    6* : Lvl 82 Flare (35 MP / 1-Hit) - Fire magic damage (2.3x) to one enemy ; Decrease water resistance (30%) for 3 turns to one enemy
    6* : Lvl 93 Full-Life (20 MP) - Revive one KO'd ally (100% HP)

6* Limit Burst:
    Apocalyptic Blade (Base) : 11-Hit Physical damage (2.7x) to all enemies
    Apocalyptic Blade (Max) : 11-Hit Physical damage (3.9x) to all enemies

Pros:
    First off, she has an average MAG-Base but for a 3* unit really good MAG-Passives. Along with those passives, Terra also gets a MP+20%, which is also nice too have especially for a mage unit. Her MP Cost on the support side is not too bad, Full-Life 20 MP, Ray of Hope 25 MP, definitely manageable.
    Her versatility is very good in the current meta. She has an AoE cure all status ailments, she can fully revive someone. She is the first 6* unit we get which has dispelga, again, really come in handy for her. Terra now has access to Flare too, good overall damage step-up but that's not all.
    With her ability "Unlock Magic" she has access for a 3-turn dualcast. This is absolutely fantastic. But she also gains access to Meteor. Just to point out, you are able to dualcast all magic. So you can either fully revive someone and dispel all enemies, you can deal some side-damage on top of that or go for a double cura as side healer. Her versatility really got a nice step-up from her 5* and I like it. Chaos Wave should only be usable if you are silenced, but then there is Ray of Hope. But...

Cons:
    Her pro is Terra's con too. Not only that you technically waste a turn gaining access to Meteor and DC, but it's just there for 3 turns. You can't use it the entire fight long. Longer fights tend to make this really annoying and actually not really good on paper. It's still just better to give her the DC TMR, because you are not wasting any turns and still have Full-Life.
    As we move on, one might see: her HP is horrible. 2700 base HP with no innate HP passives again, is not good. She has low defenses, ok, she certainly is a mage. But 2700 HP without any defensive passives or HP-passives just is a huge minus.
    On top of that, she is a versatile redmage basically. What is your biggest fear for your support / healer unit? Getting status ailments. She can cure that, but does she have any protection against them? No. If she gets petrified, paralyzed or so on, her Ray of Hope will be useless since she can't use it. Another big minus in my opinion.
    Her LB also is not really usable, since it's physical damage. There are ways to make it usable, but I don't see a point to bother making it happen while you can just use chainers (which you will have, if you plan to use the fryevia's needle + Letters and Arms combination).

Arena:
    No status ailment protection, no innate DC, no innate Meteor (needs to be set up and that takes a turn), no high HP. Dispelga won't be great either in arena, just as flare or full-life really, since it comes down to either getting status ailments on or dishing out huge damage in one turn. You can use her, but she takes her time which you don't want in Arena. So not too great.

Comparison: Kefka (Mage)
    [​IMG]

- Kefka has higher MAG-Base but lower innate passives
    - Both have horrible HP
    - Terra can support her team way better with Full-Life, Dispellga and AoE cure all ailments
    - Terra has temporary access to dual cast and meteor
    - Terra can slightly heal with Cura
    - Kefka will outdamage Terra in Turn 1 and Turn 2, but in Turn 3 Terra will deal more damage in total (because of "Unlock Magic")
    - Kefka has one innate magic killer

I would still prefer Terra over Kefka. If his killers don't proc and she only focusses on damaging, she will still outdamage him in the long run. But besides that, she can also dual cast Full Life if she survived the enemies turn. On top of that, Terra is the only 6* unit CURRENTLY who has access to Dispellga.

Comparison: Y'shtola (Red Mage)
    [​IMG]

- Terra has MAG-Passives, Y'shtola has no innate passives
    - Y'shtola has - 50% Chance being targeted + 5% innate MP-Refresh
    - Terra has access to Full-Life, while Y'shtola only has Raise
    - Terra only has access to Cura while Y'shtola has Curaja
    - Y'shtola has innate DC which needs no setup
    - Terra has Dispelga while Y'shtola only has Dispel
    - Y'shtola's LB is amazing, Terra's mostly useless
    - Terra has more damage output than Y'shtola

When it comes down to the Red Mage role, you need to ask yourself for specific fights "what do I need?". If it comes down to a pure Red mage, I'd give this one to Terra. Hear me out, if you want a RED MAGE. Y'shtola is 10x better off as a healer than Terra, because her exclusive equipment has great stats and gives her +20% HP and MP. She has innate -50% target chance and MP-Refresh. But her damage output is horrible and she offers not too much supportive aspects. She has shellga, protectga and a incredible LB, but as a standalone not too great.
    Terra on the other hand has dispelga, has Full-Life, Meteor and +50% Mag, she actually can deal damage. But Terra is limited to her very low HP and that is her main problem. I would pick Y'shtola over Terra, but since there aren't a lot red mages around and Terra kinda is one, I decided to compare her to Y'shtola even if it's not the best decision to make. But as a healer she would miserably lose (Terra).

Trust Master Reward:
    Most of the times not useful since most mages have either really high damage abilities or innate meteor / ultima. Would not recommend going for that.

My Conclusion:
    Well... I don't think she is bad. For now, she is alright. Dispelga can come in handy, if you protect her good enough she can support you through Full-Life, AoE status ailment cure and so on. The main thing which makes her unattractive to me is her low HP. 2700 HP is nothing to start with. Many bosses deal 1300-1900 with one attack against mages (unless you have many TMR's). With no innate dodge chance, no - target chance and so on, she will die easily. Trust me, AoE attacks will hit her hard. But if I do recommend her, I would build her more around the supportive side with a bit more HP, since she has nice tools to work with for now.

Character Design: 7/10
    Sprite: 7.5/10
    Chainer: 4/10 (her LB is ok)
    Finisher: 4/10
    Personal Rating: 6.5-7/10
    Optimal Rating: 7-7.5/10

Thanks, hope you enjoyed it! Have a nice day!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    JMR, Lysander, Sparkle and 6 others like this.
  2. Parade

Parade I'm So Proud of You, Children VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    "Fryevia + LiA combination"? What does this mean? I'm guessing you mean Fyevia's Needle and Letters and Arms (not "in" Arms... don't worry, I used to say "for" Arms, it's actually "and"), but even then I'm not sure what you're trying to say in the context. Are you trying to say that if you have a Fryevia's Needle, that means you have Fryevia and therefore have a chaining unit?

Other than that, spot on analysis. I like it!

Memel0rd likes this.
  3. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Error 404: Long beard not found Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    First off: thanks! Always giving me feedback, I like it.
    I'll change it up to Letters and Arms and give more information about what I meant so say. I tried to say, that if you have two maxed Terras you could give both of them a Fryevia's Needle (for no huge MAG loss) and chain her LB's with each other from time to time. But again, you're way better off equipping it to Fryevia.

Redtide and Parade like this.
  4. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    You're doing a lot of work, least I can do is make sure to comment little fixes and observations to help. :3

Redtide, Exeon and Memel0rd like this.
  5. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I'm getting really fast at it, my writing / english improves through that process too (since I'm not a native english speaker, just a crappy 18-year-old german) and I certainly do like it to get positive feedback in any sort of way. So there's that.
    I'll probably do more of these reviews, since I appreciate theoratical research on video games I like and telling other people. Of course I'm open-minded so any mistakes I made or what so ever can be pointed out (unless it's a feedback with many insults which are not by any mean sarcastic or so).

Parade likes this.
  6. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    You're 18 years-old and not a native English speaker? Dude... you're doing great. You type in better English than 95% of the rest of the internet population lol.

Has anybody done Trance Terra yet? >.>

Redtide likes this.
  7. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Thanks. My pronounciation still has some flaws (because I mix up like the texan and british accent and that sometimes... sounds weird, but I'm pretty good at talking with friends and so. School always gets me to the point of frustration, one's pronounciation goes down tremendously when you need to get in front of your class, but working on that too!)

here: http://brave-exvius.com/threads/pezmergas-waifu-review-1-esper-terra-ffvi.12146/page-2#post-285198 . It's Pez's, Pezs' ? No idea

Parade likes this.
  8. Exeon

Exeon Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive, Orlandeau or Event Unit
    Like Parade said great review, keep it up! Terra is one of my favorite units, maybe I'll max her next when I'm ready with Setzer.~

By the way, I'm german too (21) and your english is a lot better than mine.::rudecat4::

Memel0rd likes this.
  9. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Glad to hear! :D

Ach man, mein englisch war auch mal der letzte Scheiß :). Habe früher tatsächlich englisch über alles gehasst x.x

10. Ashlag

Ashlag FF VI this week. Suplex is stronk with this one. Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Great shit, I swear
    Great review, thanks for that. It really is great, though and detailed, I like it. And your english is more than good, as I'm not a native speaker either I can tell that much.
    And I'd go for Pez's, as it is Pez"m"erga.

Memel0rd likes this.
  11. Exeon

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Geht mir ähnlich. In der Schule war ich ganz okay, hauptsächlich weil ich gut mit Vokabeln und Auswendiglernen klar komme, aber wirklich interessiert hat's mich erst vor wenigen Jahren, aufgrund von YouTube, Serien (weil deutsche Synchro immer mieser wird) und dem Forum hier. ^^

Memel0rd likes this.
  12. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Sorry for anyone reading this, I probably won't reply in german after that anymore :)! (don't wanna piss off anybody by accident)

Die deutsche YouTube-Szene wird allgemein immer schlimmer. Mochte die schon vor Jahren nicht. Die englische ist halt so groß, dass man dort auf ähnliche Kacke nicht so schnell trifft.
    Von manchen Serien finde ich aber die deutsche Synchronstimme teils richtig gut (GoT ist sehr gut gemacht und gewählt + nicht die typisch-deutschen Synchronsprecher).

Ich glaube es ist aber generell verboten auf groß anderen Sprachen zu reden, bin mir da aber nicht ganz sicher :D.

Exeon likes this.
  13. Exeon

Global ID:
    Leads:
    This is my last one aswell! (Getting off-topic anyways, lol)

Kann ich so unterschreiben. Verfolge kaum noch jemanden im deutschen Raum, englisch bietet da einfach seeehr viel mehr.
    Bei GoT kann ich nicht mitreden, Serie als auch Buch haben mich nie sonderlich gepackt. Aber ja, natürlich ist nicht alles Mist, die meisten Filme und Serien sind noch qualitativ gut synchronisiert. Am schlimmsten ist da eher der Anime-/Gamingbereich.

Memel0rd likes this.
  14. Redtide

Redtide YoRHa No.2 Type E VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Shadow
    Awesomeb. I was waiting for this review. Once again great review. Thank you for your efforts

Memel0rd likes this.
  15. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    My review waited for you reading it. I'll do immediate reviews for the future banner too. And thanks! getting feedback means alot to me

Redtide, Parade and Exeon like this.
  16. Khidir

Khidir Ascended Member

Question: how effective would x 5 Terra be for elemental magic chaining on physical resist enemies via Chaos Wave?

17. Sparkle

Sparkle VIP VIP

I'm wondering if I'll end up liking my 6* Terras enough to get the limit-1 Curaja from a future fat chocobo so she can really step up her white magic game.

-----------

How do you give Chaos wave an element?

My 2nd 6* Terra is in the 80's. Soon, I'll be able to see what triple CW does to Ultima. Double CW with my other attacks already melts him. The hard part for me would be MAG gearing multiple units strongly enough for trial-level content.

Khidir and Memel0rd like this.
  18. Khidir

Khidir Ascended Member

That's a good question I had actually thought since it is ability based it would take weapon elemental properties into consideration.

19. Exeon

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Sadly, magical abilites don't seem to take weapon properties (such as elements, killers, status ailments) as far as I know.

Khidir likes this.
  20. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    Nope. Only Physical abilities adapt weapon elements.