1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Tidus (Final Fantasy X)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Error 404: Long beard not found Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Auron | JP: Akstar
    A young man who appears in the tales of another world where its people are trapped in a spiral of death. Tidus is a talented player of blitzball, a beloved aquatic sport played in the sleepless city of Zanarkand. During a tournament match, a calamitous being known as Sin attacked the city, sending him to the unfamiliar world of Spira in the process. Puzzled and worried about the circumstances he will surely have to face, he washes ashore at Besaid Island. There he meets a man named Wakka, and takes up his proposition of going on a pilgrimage with the summoner Yuna in order to find his way back home.
    HE FINALLY IS HERE BOI. I am SUPER pumped about him, I hope you are as well! LET'S GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD!

Tidus Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG]5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | Innate 100% Water Resistance
    Trust Master Reward: Brotherhood (Sword) - ATK+135 ; Water Elemental [​IMG] (it's so beautiful)

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3656 (+450) Mag: 121 (+30)
    MP: 159 (+75) Def: 126 (+30)
    Atk: 154 (+30) Spr: 124 (+30)

5*: Lvl 21 - MP + 20%
    5*: Lvl 35 Tackle Slip - Chance to evade physical damage taken (30%)
    5*: Lvl 72 Auto-Refresh - Recover MP (5%) per turn
    6*: Lvl 1 Top Athlete - Increase LB gauge fill rate (200%) ; Increase resistance to blind, sleep, and paralyze (100%)
    6*: Lvl 43 Sun Crest - Increase ATK (20%) ; Increase physical damage against beast, birds, and demon monsters (50%)
    6*: Lvl 78 - ATK + 30%
    6*: Lvl 86 - HP + 30%
    5*: Lvl 3 Spiral Cut (18 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (2.1x) to one enemy

5*: Lvl 51 Energy Rain (17 MP / 4-Hit) - Physical damage (1.8x) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 60 Entrust (18 MP) - Use own LB gauge to fill ally's gauge

5*: Lvl 80 Get Pumped! (62 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (1.4x) to one enemy
    Increase ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR (40%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 31 Blitz Mania (30 MP) - Refresh (10 MP, 0.3x) split over 3 turns to all allies
    Increase water resistance (100%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 92 Jecht Shot (45 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical water damage (2x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    Add water element to physical attacks for 5 turns to caster

6*: Lvl 100 Quick Hit (45 MP / 12-Hit) - Physical damage (4x) to one enemy

6* Limit Burst:
    Blitz Ace (Base / 16 LB Crysts): 16-Hit Physical damage (2.9x) to one enemy
    Decrease water resistance (75%) for 5 turns to one enemy

Blitz Ace (Max / 16 LB Crysts): 16-Hit Physical damage (4.1x) to one enemy
    Decrease water resistance (100%) for 5 turns to one enemy

Pros:
    Oh my. Where should we begin? Oh, right.

Damn you, Goers, you ruined my game :^).

Jokes aside, Tidus starts of with really strong base stats. Not only does he have a high ATK base, his HP, DEF and SPR also looks very promising. Really high HP base for a DPS unit with about 4200 base (after pots). This high HP stat gets a 30% boost which is really high. Also his ATK goes up by another 50% and he also receives 20% MP boosts with innate 5% MP Refresh, which makes him overall really sustainable.

His high HP is not the only reason for him to be really sustainable. Tidus has an innate 30% dodge chance against physical attacks. AND Status ailment protection on top of it, really really nice. His equipment selection even makes this more appealing, he can equip any armor besides robes, which he won't need. He can equip basically all important weapons. Swords, Large Swords, Katanas and even Throwing Weapons. Tidus therefor can utilize many current weapon masteries like Blade Mastery, Large Sword Mastery and Dark Knight's Soul and will be able to utilize Dark Veritas TMR in the future, too!

Moving on, he has 3 innate and very common 50% killers, which is really good since it's free damage basically so he can provide even more DPS against beasts, birds and demons. Overall, really nice to have and rarely seen on chainers.

I will talk about Entrust, Top Athlete and his LB at the end. Stay tuned.

Spiral Cut and Energy Rain aren't necessarily the most useful abilities, but both are non-elemental and pretty cheap to use. Also, Energy Rain is an AoE 4-Hitter so maybe you want to do a little AoE chain against weak enemies so you won't waste a lot of MP.

Get Pumped! (sorry, that's the ability name, lmao) really starts making him an incredible support DPS. Not only does it deal damage, but also comes with an AoE 40% buff to ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR, which is huge. Increases your survivability as well as your DPS. This essentially is Rain's Leadership paired up with some damage. Simply beautiful right now.

Staying in the support DPS theme, Blitz Mania is really useful. AoE MP Regens are really rare and really good, but it also grants an AoE 100% (!!!) water resistance. This buff is basically better than any green mage right now with MP regen on top of it. So if you are fighting against water type enemies, simply use Blitz Mania and be completely immune to all incomming water attacks while supporting your team with high DPS and MP regen. Amazing.

Jecht Shot makes Tidus a pretty strong finisher as well. It has an innate water elemental, a 4x mod and adds water elemental on Tidus' attacks. It can deal really high damage while granting Tidus water elemental attacks.

Finally, his Quick Hit. 4x ST damage 12-Hit. This can deal so much damage with possible really really high chain numbers. Freaking awesome. But it starts to get bloody damn good, let's talk about his main aspect.

His Limit burst (max) can imperil the enemy's water resistance by 100%. That's double the damage basically. 100%!!! And it only costs 16 LB crysts.
    And guess what, not only is it really cheap and can chain with itself easily. Tidus also gets 200% LB Fillrate up. This is crazy! He needs 6 LB crysts to get a full LB gauge. And as a chainer you can drop so many LB crysts as long as the enemy is able to drop them. That's why I highly recommend maxing his LB as soon as possible.
    His finisher move Jecht Shot as well as his Quick hit both become an 8x mod with this, whopping 800% mods on either a chain or a finisher. AMAZING.

Tidus also becomes the best entrust support since his LB is really really easy to fill up and he has entrust. So if you pair him up with Rikku, have her LB almost every turn.

Cons:
    Tidus currently has three major cons that hold him back from being ridiculous. But without these, he would be way too strong.

Tidus is VERY HARD to chain with. It's literally insanely hard to chain two of him. And from what I know, there is no other chainer he can really chain with well. Many people did a lot of practice with him and they get his chain perfectly done by about 1/10 times. But I will talk about that in the side notes.

His main damage is very restricted to water elemental. Like Orlandeau, he can do some serious fire chains as well, but depends on your team to imperil the enemies fire resistance then.

Also, his LB can't be used in the first turn. While Orlandeau chains can pretty much ramp up their damage in the first turn, Tidus needs a turn to build up his LB and then needs to use it and loses some damage on that, too.

And his last real con right now is that he only has 50% ATK passives. It's still very enough in his kit, but it's definitely below average and should be pointed out. As well as him not having the highest atk base stat, he certainly will have a lot less ATK than Orlandeau or other top dogs.

Some minor stuff is, that his Get Pumped! is really MP costly and he is not protected against Confusion or petrify.

But in all honesty, that's it. He has a really good kit with not too much flaws honestly.

Side-Notes:
    Like I said earlier, his chains are very hard to pull off. And the only way to really make them any usable (regarding perfect chains), is to use Macro, which is a No-Go for most players and even in the forum. Yet, I will still talk about this.
    If you consider using Macro solely for him chaining and not "abusing" it to farm ES, go for it. Please. His damage potential gets way higher if you can pull off perfect chains. His positioning does not matter, like Orlandeau, he stands still while using Quick Hit.
    Another important thing, his future Enhancements are making him the best chainer in terms of pure DPS if you can chain him. His Quick Hit gets a 720% modifier (without imperils), he gets 120% (!!!) ATK passives and also slightly higher evasions etc.

Arena:
    Tidus has AoE chainable moves, he has status ailment protection, he has high HP, he has innate physical dodge chance and also AoE MP recovery. If you got units with awesome LB's for arena, he can support them heavily as well.
    I recommend using him since you can build him up to 100% evasion fairly easily, you can buff your team as well as have a nice MP Regen and also him having some status ailment protection is really nice.

Comparison: Orlandeau
    [​IMG]
    - Orlandeau has higher ATK and higher ATK passives (20%)
    - Both have high HP , good DEF/SPR stats and nice equipment selection
    - Both are really strong chainers
    - Tidus is LB reliant
    - Tidus after his LB is way stronger than Orlandeau
    - Both have the same status ailment protection
    - Tidus has insane supportive aspects
    - Orlandeau has high ATK/MAG breaks
    - Tidus has a decent finisher
    - Tidus has innate killers

It depends on two things who would be the winner or not. If you have Tidus' TMR and you have his LB up, he definitely wins. His damage output after his LB is very high.
    And second, if you perfectly chain him after his LB, Orlandeau cannot win against his DPS.
    THE PROBLEM with that is, most of the people can't chain him perfectly. So in terms of pure DPS and being consistent, Orlandeau wins , since Tidus is very unreliable if you do not Macro.
    BUT if you can chain him perfectly his DPS will be higher than Orlandeau's. Slightly at least.
    Both have interesting support aspects. While Landu has high breaks, Tidus has a good variety of supportive abilities that can help out a lot. So it's your decision what you think is more useful.
    Tidus also can be used as quite a powerful finisher with Jecht Shot after his LB.

Comparison: Fryevia
    [​IMG]

- Fryevia is hybrid
    - Tidus' HP is way higher and Fryevia's build does not boost her HP at all
    - Tidus' equipment selection is 10x better
    - Tidus is not restricted on the elemental while Fryevia's chains are ice elemental everytime
    - Both have innate physical dodge chances
    - Fryevia also has magical dodge chances
    - Tidus' supportive aspects are way better than Fryevia's
    - Fryevia compared to Tidus is really easy to chain
    - Both have status ailment protection
    - Tidus after LB has higher DPS than Fryevia
    - Tidus' has higher survivability even though Fryevia survives one attack guaranteed
    - Tidus' finisher move after his LB is way stronger than Fryevia's Second Intention

The scenario from Orlandeau will repeat in every comparison. Tidus needs perfect chains and his LB to outdamage all top tier chainers. Without them, he is slightly worse.
    The problem is, both are really hard to chain though Tidus is still way harder than Fryevia. So if you can't pull off Fryevia chains, you should not be able to do Tidus chains. Both somewhat require Macro for most of the players.

Comparison: Aileen
    [​IMG]

- Aileen has higher ATK and higher ATK passives (10%)
    - Aileen's equipment selection is the best
    - Both have supportive aspects though Tidus' are way better
    - Aileen is way easier to chain
    - Both are not restricted to an elemental
    - Tidus' has higher survivability
    - Aileen has 2 innate killers that are very rare to proc
    - Tidus has status ailment protection

I really don't like to repeat myself but it's literally the exact same thing with everybody. I apologize, really. I don't want to be a lazy ass or something like that.
    Tidus main advantages compared to Aileen are that he has 3 very common killers while Aileen has two, Aileen's TMR currently drops her ATK quite heavily since we do not have a spear mastery yet.
    Also, his supportive aspects yet again are way better while him being way more survivable.

Comparison: Fohlen
    [​IMG]

- Tidus can only ride a chocobo in the actual game
    - Tidus ATK is higher while Fohlen has way higher ATK passives (30%)
    - Fohlen is elemental restricted
    - Fohlen needs time to setup like Tidus
    - Fohlen's innate survivability is way beyond Tidus' even though Tidus is really survivable
    - Tidus' supportive aspects are tremendously better
    - Fohlen's weapon selection sucks

Tidus even without perfect chains should win this one since Fohlen needs a turn setup to unleash his full power. But, both have different themes.
    While Fohlen is like a super tanky chainer, Tidus is a really really strong chainer with huge supportive aspects. Both have quite a variety in their own form.
    In terms of pure DPS, Tidus should win easily.

Trust Master Reward:
    Best sword for Tidus as well as everybody who is paired up with Tidus. Really really strong TMR with high ATK and innate water elemental. I highly recommend grabbing it as soon as you get Tidus.

Conclusion:
    Tidus is a really strong unit with huge variety, insane supportive aspects and possibly the highest DPS in the game.
    I highly recommend going for him and I want to let you know: I will, too. You know a unit is good when the good ol' Memel0rd is going ham on the banner which never happens really. Also, Rikku is on the same banner, too.
    If you are considering to use macro or already use it: 100% go for it. He is very future proof since he already can be the highest DPS unit and in the future his Enhancements will make him go nuts.

@TLA 's: Should you Pull?

Character Design: 9.5/10
    Sprite: 10/10 (though his 5* sprite is still way better)
    Chainer: 9/10
    Finisher: 8.5/10
    Free 2 Play (without Macro): 8-9/10
    Pay 2 Play (without Macro): 9-9.5/10
    Personal Rating: 10/10 (it finally happened :eek: )
    Optimal Rating (with Macro): 10/10

BLOODY GOERS, DAMN YOU!
    [​IMG]

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  2. Reign

Reign Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Rem Lv 97
    First like ::ink:: hope I can pull this amazing unit

Yugoichi and Memel0rd like this.
  3. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Error 404: Long beard not found Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    same, man.

LAFORGUS and Parade like this.
  4. salo1419

salo1419 Ascended Member Supporter

Biased review, i didn't like it.
    #Leave a like.

Memel0rd likes this.
  5. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    #who?

Terry Trowbridge and LAFORGUS like this.
  6. Rampy

Rampy Well-Known Member

Cant wait to spend my vacation moneys on pulling atleast 2

Mcleod and Memel0rd like this.
  7. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Tidus > any vacation. He can be your vacation ::rudecat5::

Master Red, Scheich, chee808 and 3 others like this.
  8. Rampy

Rampy Well-Known Member

Damn sure ill take a rikku while
    Im at it gonna be a good day at the beach

Memel0rd likes this.
  9. Bryyce

Bryyce Ascended Member

Leads:
    2B
    Nothing about the respective pros and cons of the DW build and DH build?
    I think I've read somewhere that going DH makes him a reliable chainer, while with DW it's indeed almost impossible not to break the chain.

Parade likes this.
  10. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Well, yes, but that's not an option on GL yet. We have a 50% DH, you need 2x Elfriede TMR and 2x Cloud TMR to get to 300% DH in JP. A 50% DH build on Tidus would not be optimal at all even if he doesn't break.

Takumi Kuzuryu, LAFORGUS and Bryyce like this.
  11. salo1419

salo1419 Ascended Member Supporter

DH units on GL suxs, except for Olive and her own tmr because it adds another DH boost.
    You can't stack DH materias unlike JP so... DW will be a way better even if he breaks the chains after 14-15 hits.

Well at the end of the days, GL allows you to use macros so most of the times you'll do a perfect chain with Tidus with the proper macro.

Bryyce likes this.
  12. Shinobi_SAC

Shinobi_SAC VIP VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    959 392 578
    Leads:
    Acc1: 7 Lucius Acc2: 7 Wilhelm
    159/45
    Glad to see a bit more information on him, doubt I'll pull him, but good to know just in case lol

btw, should be road instead of roll :p

oqievibritannia likes this.
  13. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    oh wait, fuck. Sorry, some quotes I can't remember very well. The fareman asks a high prize ::cactaur::

LAFORGUS and Parade like this.
  14. Mcleod

Mcleod Der Langrisserlord - Retired VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TDW Chuck Norris
    German kids get free vacations! biased again! :)

Nah good work Meme@ keep it up.

15. Parade

Parade I'm So Proud of You, Children VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    What's a "Goer"? o_O;

I'd like to point out a few minor details:
    • Tidus' LB Fill Rate is +200%, highest we've ever seen. Yes, you mention him being a good Entrust user, and yes, this number is located in the details behind Spoilers, but I just find it really worth mentioning :)
    • Tidus' LB does indeed do 100% Water Imperil but that's at max LB level. I'd recommend including something about definitely considering him for LB farming/Burst pots because of just how influential Water Resistance -100% can be.
    • I find Tidus' support aspects rather underwhelming - Orlandeau has ATK/MAG-40% breaks, which I honestly find much more useful than Tidus' low-grade buffs or tiny MP Regen. I think I would like that at least mentioned in Orlandeau's favor, please (although it does not really change the overall aspect of Tidus dealing more damage if you can chain him).
    Other than that, another great review Memey <3

Lachesis, Goddess Nyx, Khidir and 3 others like this.
  16. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
    Meme, i know you like Tidus, but you have to get off the hype train to do an Objective review.

When you compare Tidus to Onlando, everyone knows Tidus loses, there are not Buts like:

That's what makes Landu and everyone else the best, how easy they perform their chain!

Now now now! i am not criticizing the review, its just that meme likes to challenge the top Dogs every new release, but some characters have to learn who is the king of the Hood.

I WANT TIDUS! Tidus is Great, Tidus is versatile! that's is the right word there, on many screenshot of ppl. who play Japan version currently, have featured Tidus, not only one but two in many occasion. So if you ask for a future proff character... Tidus is One!

ps: in the end you couldn't contain yourself and bullied Folhem... didn't you? ::kefka::

Khidir, Parade and Mcleod like this.
  17. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Tidus LB Fillrate is not the highest. Landu and Olive have the same LB fillrates :).

Yes, ATK/MAG breaks are great, but see:
    AoE MP Regen that heals ~28 MP per turn
    40% stat buffs AoE
    200% LB Fillrate Entrust support (in some teamcomps useless, in some bloody strong)
    100% AoE Water Resistance

I value that higher than breaks. I also consider breaks always losing something because of immunities, yes, ATK/MAG breaks are not as often resisted, but they still are. And honestly, I value MP regens very high since we do not have a lot of MP ressources yet that have a very good spot on the team (e.g. Ramza).

LAFORGUS likes this.
  18. Parade

Parade I'm So Proud of You, Children VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    So you're gonna argue with me rather than even mentioning Orlandeau's breaks? Silly stubborn Memey :P

19. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    "Problem with that is, most of the people can't chain him perfectly. So in terms of pure DPS and being consistent, Orlandeau wins."
    *is confused*

I know that it was biased, but it's true. I stated the circumstances he needs to outdamage Orlandeau. And right after that I also stated that nearly nobody can do it while Orlandeau is consistent :). There might be a "biased"-y in the writing style, but in terms of misinformations I should not have made any mistakes.

20. Jose

Jose Purple lord VIP Supporter

Leads:
    GL: MAH BOI CECIL JP: Bronion Knight
    I'd bring math to the table but i'm very lazy and am just gonna say that Tidus does damage more if we're talking about a perfect chain.

Who needs landu breaks with WoL coming? ::ink::

MrBenny3D likes this.