1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Veritas of the Dark (Final Fantasy Brave Exvius)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Unil0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Nyx | JP: Akstar
    A member of the Sworn Six of Paladia who suddenly appeared before Rain and his friends to destroy the crystals. Claiming that humanity has committed grievous sins, Veritas of the Dark is determined to shatter all of the crystals found across the land. This ultimately leads Rain and his friends to set off on a journey to halt his plans.
    Anyway, Dank Veritas truly is a good unit with a lot stuff to offer as a DPS unit.
    Let's get riiiiight into the darn review.

Veritas of the Dark Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]
    In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Pride of the Sworn Six - Dark (Materia) - +30% ATK with Large Swords, +30% ATK with Heavy Armor

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3650 (+450) Mag: 125 (+30)
    MP: 158 (+75) Def: 132 (+30)
    Atk: 150 (+30) Spr: 121 (+30)

5*: Lvl 12 - HP + 20%
    5*: Lvl 12 - MP + 20%
    5*: Lvl 41 - DEF + 20%
    5*: Lvl 41 - SPR + 20%
    5*: Lvl 66 Auto-Refresh - Recover MP (5%) per turn
    5*: Lvl 80 Large Sword Mastery - Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with a great sword
    5*: Lvl 80 Immobility - Increase resistance to blind, paralyze, and petrify (100%)
    6*: Lvl 1 Darkness - Absorb dark damage & increase ATK/DEF (100%) when HP drops below 30%
    6*: Lvl 38 [闇の報復] - 20% Chance Counter with ST 3 Turn -100% Dark Resist
    6*: Lvl 78 - ATK + 20%
    6*: Lvl 78 - MAG + 20%
    5*: Lvl 1 Double Slash (27 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage combo (2 times, 1.6x each, 3.2x total ) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 32 Osmose Blade (27 MP / 2-Hit) - Hybrid damage (1.4x) to one enemy
    Hybrid damage (0.3x) as MP drain (30%) to one enemy

5*: Lvl 72 Defensive Barrier (24 MP) - Decrease damage taken (20%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: lvl 54 [深闇の加護] (35 MP) - 3 Turn Self +100% Poison/Sleep/Silence/Confuse/Virus Resist & AoE except Self 3 Turn +70% Dark Resist

6*: Lvl 100 Dark Punishment (45 MP / 7-Hit) - Physical damage (2x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    Decrease dark resistance (50%) for 3 turns to one enemy

6*: Lvl 100 Dark Edge (45 MP / 1-Hit) - Dark physical damage (2x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    Add dark element to physical attacks for 5 turns to caster
    5*: Lvl 1 Gravity (12 MP / 1-Hit) - HP damage (50%) to one enemy
    6*: Lvl 24 Graviga (20 MP / 1-Hit) - HP damage (75%) to all enemies
    6*: Lvl 90 Impact (80 MP / 1-Hit) - Dark magical damage (2.1x) to all enemies
    Decrease ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR (45%) for 3 turns to all enemies

6* Limit Burst:
    ??? (Base / 16 LB-Crysts) - 20-Hit Dark physical damage (2.7x) to all enemies
    Decrease DEF (40%) for 3 turns to all enemies
    ??? (Max / 16 LB-Crysts) - 20-Hit Dark physical damage (3.9x) to all enemies
    Decrease DEF (64%) for 3 turns to all enemies

Pros:
    Absolute best sprite in the game. Are we done? No.

Dark Veritas (DV) hits GL with a lot of stuff. He offers a lot, way more you would ask for when thinking of a DPS unit.
    Dark Veritas starts of with really good allround base stats. He has good HP, decent MP, good ATK, pretty good DEF and decent SPR. Not only that, but he gets 20% boosts to every stat from his passives, which basically increases everything he does. Higher survivability, higher DPS, higher sustainability, etc. DV also gets a MP-Refresh by 5%. Awesome to see. But not only that, once you are equipping a Large Sword to him, you will gain another 50% ATK for a total of 70% ATK passives, which is pretty much the amount of a DPS unit you want to see. Really good stats.

But if we are talking about his stats, once DV drops below 30% HP, he will gain an endless buff (unless he dies or gets dispelled) that grants 100% boosts to ATK and DEF. Amazing buff as long as we don't have any strong Bards or something like that and quite a significant boost in ATK.
    DV ALSO absorbs any incomming dark damage. You won't have to worry about any dark damage at all, this is basically the best version of resistance that will ever exist. Even if you have e.g. 30000% dark weakness, he will still absorb any incomming dark damage. Awesome passive, you will see that with the Veritas theme a lot.

DV is resistant to blind, paralyze and petrify, good enough. It's pretty common to see on many DPS units but still makes it a lot easier to use him in general content without having the need of giving him a Ribbon or whatnot. But he can also increase the resistance to many status ailments to OTHER allies WHILE buffing the allies dark resistance by 70%. Again, awesome ability.

Before we are talking about his Abilities, let's have a quick glance at his MAGIC.
    Dark Veritas has a spell (for a whopping 80 MP....) that not only deals damage, but AoE Fullbreaks for 45%! That is just amazing. I might sound biased, but this move is overall the best ability break we got right now and even in JP can be really useful just because of the high amount in the break percentages. Really strong move.

So we have seen that Dark Veritas has really good stats, really good passives, an awesome magic move, what else does he have? Let me tell you.

Dark Veritas, as a DPS unit, has the ability to use an AoE 20% damage reduction. While it might sound a little bit weak, keep in mind that he also has a 45% full break. That means, even if you use Rikku, he can keep your team a lot more safe with either one of these moves. And if you are running e.g. 2 Dark Veritas, one can AoE Fullbreak and the other one can decrease the incomming damage. Awesome move as well.

Dark Edge is a 1-hit move and is basically a dark version of Tidus' Jecht Shot. It has a 400% modifier and thus is a pretty decent finishing move. But the real deal about this one is that it adds dark elemental to all your physical attacks, which can be quite important for the next ability.

And that next ability is Dark Punishment. It's a 400% mod, 7-hit with 50% dark imperil to one enemy.
    It's a very nice chaining move because of various reasons. You can imbuse dark elemental to him innately, which means if you lack Dark Weapons, no problem really. It also does not break, it chains perfectly and it's really easy to chain as well. Not only that, Dark Veritas does not move for his chaining move which means his positioning is not important at all.
    But that's not the reason why this move is getting hyped a lot.
    It perfectly chains with Orlandeau's Divine Ruination. Dark Punishment has the exact same frames as Orlandeau, everything is the same. And since both moves are innately non-elemental, you can just equip Dark Veritas with Excalibur and use him as a "Orlandeau", or equip Orlandeau with a Dark Weapon and use him as Dark Veritas. Awesome combination from these two which also makes it easier to use since many chainers right now require a dupe version of them.

But don't forget, he also has a 20% chance to counter with a 100% dark imperil, the same as DKC. With that, he easily becomes one of the strongest chainers in GL. Amazing counter.

Cons:
    Dark Veritas in the current meta has not really many cons.

His Limit Burst is really bad compared to some others we got. It provides a 40% -> 64% DEF break, but it's not really worth to level it since already many trials are completely immune to def breaks and he also loses out on a lot of DPS in that turn as long as you have DW. It's base modifier is also quite low with 270% compared to his Dark Punishment.

His Impact is also very hard to sustain because of the whopping 80 MP cost which is huge, especially for non-mages who do not stack a lot of MP. So be aware of handling MP when using this move because simply spamming it will make DV very hard to sustain.

It would also be appreciated if DV had innate confusion and sleep resistance since these two can be quite pesky from time to time.

Other than that, currently there are not many problems with him. He will have a little bit lower ATK than other DPS due to "only" 180 ATK passives.

Side-Notes:
    Dark Veritas will receive Enhancements in the JP version soon and I really hope he does not get the same treatment as Orlandeau.
    Other than that, he will also be able to chain with enhanced Agrias in the near future, which makes Agrias even more appealing since she has yet another partner to chain with.
    This might seem a little irritating to many people who do whale and could easily grab 2 Dark Veritas, but the issue is once we get 10-Man Trials, you cannot bring Dupe units. That means a chainer either has a unit as partner, that has the same frames (e.g. Tidus + Camille 6* // Agrias + Orlandeau + Dark Veritas) or your chainer becomes way less effective. So for that, Dark Veritas is quite strong as well.

Arena:
    Dark Veritas is in fact pretty strong in Arena. We are getting out of the evasion meta slowly because of units like Ashe and Lunera that will just magic chain thus making evasion useless, and that means hitting with physical moves will happen more often.
    And Dark Veritas either can AoE 45% break every stat or he can use his Double Slash for a 4x 999 damage with DW (same ability basically as Lasswell or Leon). So very high damage potential from DV while he also has very good stats and innate status ailment protection.

Deathbringer / Excalibur
    Moonblade / Mana Blade
    Rider's Helm
    Grand Armor
    Genji Glove
    Bracer
    Pride of the Sworn Six - Dark
    Dark Knight's Soul
    Large Sword Mastery
    Quick Assault / Wisdom

ATK with Odin: 1024,5 -> 1025 ATK

Comparison: Fryevia
    [​IMG]

- Fryevia vs DV is pretty much the same damage wise like Orlandeau vs Fryevia
    - Fryevia has almost the same MAG as DV ATK
    - Hybrid formula allows way higher damage output
    - DW mechanics with MAG and hybrid allow way higher damage output
    - Fryevia is restricted to one elemental
    - Fryevia is really hard to build
    - Dark Veritas provides a lot more supportive aspects than Fryevia
    - Dark Veritas can counter with 100% imperil

If you want DPS: Fryevia wins. Without even trying to debate that, Fryevia wins by a lot.
    DW will not take your left and right hand but will just take your whole MAG twice, which is already a big step up compared to physical DPS units. Also, Hybrid Formula cuts her 800% in 400% MAG and 400% ATK, which would make her outdamage DV only with her MAG, but she also has quite a lot of ATK to offer, so even more damage.
    But Dark Veritas has the advantage of using different elementals, having currently one chain partner, having a lot of supportive aspects that are really useful.
    So personally, I'd go with DV because I really like his kit. But it's completely reasonable to take Fryevia over him.

Comparison: Orlandeau
    [​IMG]

- Orlandeau has slightly higher ATK stats
    - DV has way stronger allround stats but has lower HP passives (10%)
    - Both have the same status ailment protection
    - DV's breaks provide not only higher numbers, but also being a fullbreak compared to a ATK/MAG break
    - Both have the same mods, the same frames, the same imperil
    - Dark Veritas can apply Dark elemental to his own attacks
    - Dark Veritas absorbs any dark damage

While Orlandeau is slightly (really not much) higher in pure damage, Dark Veritas offers a lot more.
    Dark Veritas has higher SPR/DEF stats and also 20% DEF/SPR passives for 10% HP loss, which should overall be worse than the def/spr stats. He can AoE 45% fullbreak, he can AoE mitigate all damage for 20%, he can be used as decent finisher, he doesn't need excalibur to elemental chain.
    Overall, in any scenario, I'd take Dark Veritas over Orlandeau because the damage increase you'll get from Orlandeau is really just a minor one. So DV overall in my eyes wins.
    After the counter Dark Veritas easily wins against Orlandeau.

Comparison: Aileen
    [​IMG]

- Aileen has slightly higher ATK stats but less passives (10%)
    - Dark Veritas can utilize weapon masteries currently a lot better
    - Both can add their corresponding element to themselves
    - Dark Veritas has a way higher survivability
    - Dark Veritas has way better supportive aspects
    - Dark Veritas has a higher hit count
    - Dark Veritas doesn't move
    - Dark Veritas has a chaining partner

In the very current moment, there is no way Aileen can beat Dark Veritas as a chainer. Besides her pretty mediocre AoE MP Regen, Dark Veritas does literally everything better.
    The only problem I might see is, that Earth Resistance is basically never resisted while Dark Resistance is commonly seen. Though DV has the chance to counter with 100% dark resistance which often enough makes it either weak to darkness again or neutral.

Comparison: Tidus
    [​IMG]

- Tidus has slightly higher base ATK but less ATK passives (20%)
    - Both have the same status ailment protection
    - Dark Veritas has way higher survivability
    - Both have awesome supportive aspects
    - Tidus has a way higher hit count
    - Both can be used as semi-finisher as well as add their corresponding element to their attacks
    - Tidus has a 50% higher imperil that needs a little bit of setup

Honestly, since both have awesome supportive aspects, I'd go all out and say Tidus should be better regarding everything. The problem I have with that though is, that Tidus buffs stats, buffs water resistance, has a huge imperil and can regen MP while DV can mitigate damage and break the enemy for a lot. So it comes down to what your team needs.
    But in pure DPS, Tidus wins. Especially after the addition of Dark Veritas TMR on Tidus.
    Though if both hit their 100% imperil, I do think that DV will be stronger, but I don't know for sure.

Trust Master Reward:
    One of the absolute best DPS TMR's you will ever see with a whopping 60% ATK increase which make global units a lot stronger. E.G. Tidus will gain another 30% ATK compared to Quick Assault, which pushes Tidus into over 1k ATK. Awesome TMR and it's almost worth pulling for DV in GL only because of his TMR and the impact it will have on the meta since we cannot stack materias and this is basically another 30% ATK increase to almost all BiS builds. So yes, I HIGHLY recommend grabbing this awesome tmr.

Conclusion:

Dark Veritas is an awesome chainer and will stay relevant for a very long time. He is still used in JP even when other chainers already got enhanced.
    He provides a lot of synergy with units like Dark Knight Cecil, Orlandeau, Agrias etc. thus making him a very viable choice for many teams.
    He also is very valuable in 10-Man trials due to the chain partners.
    So yes, I'd say go for him if you need a chainer, but be aware. The other 5* is an awesome unit, but he's a finisher....

@TLA 's: Should you Pull?

(rankings update: X/10 -> X/100)
    Character Design: 97/100
    Sprite: 100/100
    Chainer: 97-98/100
    Finisher: 94/100
    Limit Break: 55/100
    Trust Master Reward: 98/100
    Free 2 Play: 96/100
    Pay 2 Play: 98/100
    Personal Rating: 97-98/100
    Optimal Rating: 98/100

I don't know, I feel too much like Altema with the new ratings. Let me know what you think about them, though :).

Have a nice day!

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. Arnatuile

Arnatuile Wolf of Lapis Street. Proud Evade user. Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

You should probably mention that he is supposed to have a 20% chance of countering attacks (I believe this means physical attacks) with a ST 3 Turn 100% Dark Imperil. That's not that juicy as it may look in my opinion, but still worth mentioning probably.

Also, (yeah, I know we already talked about this, but) no comment on his synergy with eDKC? You used to love DKC, Meme ::rudecat4::

Anyway, nice job for the rest. I really love how DV is the second great chainer/support hybrid unit we get (the first being Tidus) and, in fact, he complements Tidus very well, since the former buffs and gives MP refresh and the latter breaks and offers damage mitigation.

Selezar, Parade and Exeon like this.
  3. Ashlag

Ashlag GLS is love, GLS is life Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A fairly okay Hyoh, other cool stuff
    Only F2P prob : 2 5* base in the same banner.... wanting really bad to go all out there, but quite the risk when I know Gumi's marketing rats will put Nier banner right after hit to fuck up all the guys that did save theirs tickets and make them give some cash.
    I love this unit, though. Sad I'll probably never get him.... ::rudecat6::

Khidir, Abudaman, Vayhn and 1 other person like this.
  4. Pavan

Pavan Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Tidus, E.DFina ,E.TT,Loren,Fryevia
    If u have Tidus and DV then u are set for long way one can break other can buff apart from damage. Both can even chain and finish. Bring either of the friend to chain and other can finish.

Natxo likes this.
  5. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Unil0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    OH FUCK I missed the 100% dark imperil as counter, damn you wiki. Completely overlooked that, instant Edit inc

6. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    About the synergy with DKC, anybody can do that.
    Equip Tidus with deathbringer
    Equip Orlandeau with deathbringer
    Equip aileen with deathbringer

Lmao

Exdeath-chan and Parade like this.
  7. Exeon

Exeon Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive, Orlandeau or Event Unit
    Aaaand this is the point where I press like on your thread.

So he keeps the buff even if his HP raises above 30%? Damn it, I already want him, you don't have to sell him to me. xD

I liked the X/10 style better.~

Awesome review. If I wouldn't have been sold on DV for several weeks by now - this would've.

Don't make me want Tidus. :<

Parade likes this.
  8. Arnatuile

Arnatuile Wolf of Lapis Street. Proud Evade user. Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Yeah, except DV does not need to be equipped with a Dark element weapon, because he can self-add Dark to his attacks. And DV has built-in innate GS mastery, which makes him possibly a better choice for Deathbringer (best dark weapon in the game) than Tidus or Aileen.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Kien_Tolkien likes this.
  9. Parade

Parade I'm So Proud of You, Children VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    Stick to your own ranking system I think. There was nothing wrong with it. Just feel free to use numbers other than 9, 9.5, 10 etc (it's okay to use 9.6, 8.2, etc)

No major objections here except that I really don't understand why you hate Orlandeau's Enhancements so much. But let's not beat a dead horse XD

Goddess Nyx, Exeon and Arnatuile like this.
  10. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    I hate self-imbuing abilties that aren't the unit's primary attack. It's fine if the chaining move itself has the self-imbuing, but for a chainer to have to self-imbue with a non-chaining attack is a waste of DPS in my eyes. Especially since we're getting a free Dark Greatsword in the upcoming event. Also Dark Veritas can use Axes and therefore can use the free story Demon Axe. THERE ARE NO EXCUSES. lol

I honestly hate self-imbuing so much that I am considering Equip L Sword and Hunter Rain's TMR on Nyx rather than using his 5-turn Fire self-imbue :P That's desperation. lol

Exeon and Arnatuile like this.
  11. PlusKun

PlusKun Ascended Member

Leads:
    Zargabaath
    6*: Lvl 1 Darkness - Absorb dark damage & increase ATK/DEF (100%) when HP drops below 30%

Aw. I guess that means we'll never see having resistances over 100% = Absorb, if they're going to make it passive abilities.

12. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Edited the post:
    Added the following abilities which the wiki did not have

Passive [闇の報復] - 20% Chance Counter w/ "闇の報復" "闇の報復ST 3 Turn -100% Dark Resist
    Buff [深闇の加護] - 3 Turn Self +100% Poison/Sleep/Silence/Confuse/Virus Resist & AoE except Self 3 Turn +70% Dark Resist

13. Arnatuile

Yeah, I am not saying it is optimal, but just that it is an added option which others don't have. Also, if you want to have a self-imbuing move, having it on the chaining move is not that different from the chaining move being elemental itself, which is something I don't like too much to be honest (unless we are talking about Fryevia, because Fryevia is Fryevia).

fffan, Parade and Exeon like this.
  14. Nina

Nina Eyes on Me Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter Account Trade Moderator

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    CG Nina
    Thanks for the review. I pulled two dv in jp. Never really used them because of Onion Knight. Reading this makes it more clear in what way I could use them. I hope his enhancements will be nice :)

Memel0rd likes this.
  15. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I hope every Veritas enhancements will rock. I got Light Veritas but dont use her atm since I still lack a lot of gear and yeah... without gear she is pretty bad.

16. Barroth

Barroth Excessivlipoor VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Take your pick
    I don't know how to do the excited/dancing cat gif but imagine that. But massive

Exeon and Arnatuile like this.
  17. Exeon

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive, Orlandeau or Event Unit
    You mean this one? ::rudecat12::

18. Barroth

Barroth Excessivlipoor VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Take your pick
    The one on tippie toes. But like I said REALLY BIG....

That is how excited i am :)

19. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    ::rudecat1::

Khidir and Exeon like this.
  20. Exeon

Global ID:
    Leads: