1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Veritas of the Flame (Final Fantasy Brave Exvius

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Unil0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Nyx | JP: Hyou
    An undogmatic man and one of the Six Sworn of Paladia who interfered with Rainand company's journey in Zoldaad. Not only is Veritas of the Flame extremely skilled in battle, but he is also a masterful blacksmith with a great curiosity for ancient weaponry. It would seem he shares strong ties with Lasswell's blade, Purple Lightning.
    The Man swinging a.... properly sized axe in the most badass and .... realistic way. Another really cool unit and I think for all those people who want a versatile finisher, he'd be something to look at. I melt away at his looks, literally.
    Also, I will try to play around with the colors a little.

Veritas of the Flame Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Sworn Six's Pride - Fire (Materia) - Increase ATK (30%) when equipped with a axe ; Increase ATK (30%) when equipped with heavy armor

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3702 (+390) Mag: 113 (+26)
    MP: 148 (+65) Def: 132 (+26)
    Atk: 155 (+34) Spr: 130 (+26)

5*: Lvl 21 - MP + 10%
    5*: Lvl 40 - ATK + 20%
    5*: Lvl 51 Auto-Refresh - Recover MP (5%) per turn
    5*: Lvl 63 - DEF + 20%
    5*: Lvl 80 Axe mastery - Increase ATK (50%) when equipped with an axe
    5*: Lvl 80 Unmoving - Increase resistance to blind, paralyze, and petrify (100%)
    6*: Lvl 1 Flamelord - Absorb fire damage taken ; Increase ATK (150%) when HP drops below 30%
    6*: Lvl 45 Fiery Retribution - Chance to counter magic attacks (20%) with: Decrease fire resistance (100%) for 3 turns to one enemy
    6*: Lvl 70 - HP + 30%
    6*: Lvl 100 Uplift - Chance to counter physical/magic attacks (30%) by enabling Full Charge
    Full Charge Stomp - Physical damage (5x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    5*: Lvl 1 Flaming Axe (35 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (1.5x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    Decrease fire resistance (50%) for 5 turns to one enemy
    Add fire element to physical attacks for 5 turns to caster

5*: Lvl 72 Defensive Barrier (24 MP) - Decrease damage taken (20%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 31 Earthen Axe (35 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (1.5x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    Decrease earth resistance (50%) for 5 turns to one enemy
    Add earth element to physical attacks for 5 turns to caster

6*: Lvl 60 Aero Axe (35 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (1.5x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    Decrease wind resistance (50%) for 5 turns to one enemy
    Add wind element to physical attacks for 5 turns to caster

6*: Lvl 90 Inspire (80 MP) - Increase ATK/MAG (80%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 95 Darksteel Axe (35 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (1.5x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    Decrease dark resistance (50%) for 5 turns to one enemy
    Add dark element to physical attacks for 5 turns to caster

6*: Lvl 100 Heavy Stomp (45 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (2.5x) with ignore DEF (50%) to one enemy
    5*: Lvl 1 Firaga (20 MP / 1-Hit) - Fire magic damage (1.8x) to all enemies
    6*: Lvl 12 Firaja (28 MP / 1-Hit) - Fire magic damage (2x) with consecutive damage increase (1x, max: 4, total 6x) to all enemies

Pros:
    Fire Veritas (FV) starts of with amazing base stats. He has high HP, very high ATK, high DEF and high SPR. That alone is beautiful, a DPS units with these base stats already looks very promising. And he is. Fire Veritas not only gets a 10% MP boost and 5% MP Refresh, but also 30% HP and 20% DEF. This makes him pretty sustainable and with his already high DEF and HP he will have a promising survivability. But that's not all, he also as 20% ATK and another 50% ATK with an Axe for a total of 70% ATK passives. Just the right amount, good stats, good passives. But on top of that, he has an amazing equipment selection which makes up for a very large set of possible builds.

But Fire Veritas has an incredible amount of attack which is very easy to reach. With Flamelord, he not only absorbs fire damage, which is a common element, but also gains a whopping 150% ATK boost that, just like Dark Veritas, stays forever (unless he dies or gets dispelled). And he "only" has to lose 70% HP, this happens almost in every fight at least a numerous amount of times. One of my favourite passives since the ATK boost even in JP is pretty much in no other buffer included.

That being said, Unmoving is the same passive again as Dark Veritas, which makes him immune to blind, paralyze and petrify. Awesome protection against very common and pesky status ailments.

Other than that, Fire Veritas has awesome counters.
    His first counter is a 20% magic counter with a 100% fire imperil. The strongest fire imperil and he is the only potential source to carry this. This will be important for later, so stay tuned.

The second one is a 30% physical / magic counter, that enables Fire Veritas a 1000% modifier for one turn. Even though the duration seems small, the ramp up in damage is massive. This move is force wrecking, but again, I will talk about this later on.

Getting to his active abilities, Fire Veritas has two really good buffs. With Defensive Barrier he can decrease all incomming damage by 20% for all allies for 3 turns. Even today, a really good buff and adds some versatility to his kit.
    But with Inspire, he can buff the ATK and MAG by 80% for all allies for 3 turns. In the current meta, this is a very very strong buff, especially for hybrid units and for mixed team compositions. Two really good buffs.

In the following, I will take Flaming Axe, Aero Axe, Earthen Axe and Darksteel Axe as the same since the only difference between them is their elemental.
    These moves are a 300% modifier, which is not bad but not the best. The important part is, he not only imperils the corresponding element by 50%, which is great, but also adds this element to his attacks.
    Let's say there are two bosses, the first one is weak to fire. Use Flaming Axe, make your physical attacks fire elemental while imperilling the enemy's fire resistance. But the second boss is completely immune to fire, so you will use Earthen Axe and do the same.
    This is a versatility no other finisher has so far and the only one in JP who shares this theme with other elementals is Balthier. This is awesome to have as a finisher. I also will talk about this later.

Now, his last ability is Heavy Stomp. This is an effective 5x modifier, which already is really really high. But keep in mind, this move will also gain the elemental Axe you have chosen before. So a flaming Axe into this move will make it an effective 7.5 modifier with the imperil and also is a fire attack. So he basically has 4 different elements naturally in his kit which he can imperil as well.

But why is this important? There is a TMR I recommend to everyone when using Fire Veritas (except for a Tidus Team):
    Fixed Dice. This TMR is a godsend for every finisher but almost nobody can equip or utilize it.
    But Fire Veritas can. He can infuse elements to himself (4 different ones), which are very good ones as well. Fire, Earth, Wind and Dark. So he fits in almost any team and also in Water teams due to Viking Axe.

Fixed Dice is random, that is right. BUT Fire Veritas has the potential to be the absolute strongest finisher you have ever imagined with everything in line:
    150% ATK buff : check
    100% fire imperil: check
    Fire elemental: check
    10x Modifier: check
    High Roll with Fixed Dice: check

Besides that, Fixed Dice is non-elemental and thus making his different elementals very good to use. He is truly an awesome finisher.

Cons:
    Sadly, his highest potential is his absolute biggest con.
    All these requirements are heavy RNG based. Let me show you what I mean by this:
    You have only a 20% chance to get that 100% fire imperil upon being hit by a magic attack. So already a pretty low chance and you usually don't get hit with like 6 magic attacks per turn.
    Then, he has a 30% chance upon physical or magic damage to get access to his 10x modifier. This is reasonably easy to get, but consider having both counters. This is actually the easiest part about Fire Veritas currently.

Fixed Dice comes with 2 very big cons.
    The first one being it killing his ATK stat. This might seem very unappealing for most people since your Fire Veritas will now have like 600-700 ATK only, but in average he deals higher damage than his Dual Wield build.
    The main problem with it is though, the RNG part. Yet again, you have to rely on a high roll to deal massive damage. Try to consistently combine it with your 10x modifier and the imperil. That will not happen too often.

Other than that, just like Dark Veritas, he does not have a lot of cons. The real con about him is his randomness, besides that, Fire Veritas is a completely fine finisher.

His Inspire is really hard to sustain due to Fire Veritas' relatively low MP stats and the high cost of 80 MP. The MP stats could also be a problem in a longer fight, but that is somewhat easy to handle. Just like his ... small axe ::ink::

Side-Notes:
    The RNG effect dramatically reduces once you use Fire Veritas as a Water Finisher with Viking Axe in a Tidus chain.
    He loses to rely on his 100% Fire Imperil for maximum power.
    He doesn't have to rely on a Fixed Dice Roll anymore, which makes his Attack Stat go INSANELY high.
    Viking Axe
    Aigaion Arm
    Rider's Helm
    Grand Armor / Crimson Slayer
    Champion Belt
    Champion Belt
    Dual Wield
    Sworn Six's Pride - Fire
    Sworn Six's Pride - Earth
    Martial Arts Mastery

Attack with Odin + Grand Armor: 1101
    Attack with Odin + Crimson Slayer: 1158 (!!!!!!)
    @Parade this ATK, hooooly

Alternative Build:
    Viking Axe
    Save The Queen
    Rider's Helm
    Grand Armor
    Genji Glove
    Bracer
    Sworn Six's Pride - Fire
    Sworn Six's Pride - Dark
    Large Sword Mastery

Attack with Odin: 1095
    He also does not need to use one of his elemental Axes anymore, making his modifiers /turn a lot higher. So yes, I do recommend using him as a water finisher a lot.

Fire Veritas can also be used as a niche Thunder Finisher with Sparky and Doublehand, though I do not recommend that. But you see, he has a veeery high versatility in his kit for the sake of a finisher.

Arena:
    There is no usage in Fire Veritas in the Arena without dumping him with different materias. He only has ST attacks, has no instant death moves, nothing to offer really. The only thing which might be funny is his absorb Fire Damage.

I will take the Fixed Dice build to compare him. I already know that he is the absolute best consistent Finisher right now with his Water Build, but it's a lot of Set Up and difficult TMR's.
    Fixed Dice
    Rider's Helm
    Demon Mail
    Bracer
    Bracer
    Quick Assault
    Quick Assault
    Quick Assault

Attack with Odin: 634

Fire Veritas[​IMG] VS [​IMG] Dark Knight Cecil

- Both have the same base ATK
    - DKC has way higher ATK due to not wearing Fixed Dice (50% higher ATK passives)
    - DKC can utilize weapon TMR's
    - DKC with a DH build loses out on a lot of DPS
    - DKC with a DW build kills himself
    - Fire Veritas is very RNG heavy
    - Fire Veritas has good supportive aspects
    - DKC provides a consistent insane DPS
    - Fire Veritas has a higher survivability
    - Fire Veritas has 4 different elements and can stay non-elemental
    - DKC has higher modifiers pre-counter + attached 100% imperil
    - DKC has no status ailment protection

This is a tricky one. I currently have no maths with me, but I do know from several sources that an ideal / somewhat ideal Fire Veritas with Fixed Dice can outdamage DKC. The problem is: you have to rely on your luck quite a bit.
    Even if you get the perfect setup, Fixed Dice can troll you hard and give you a lot of really bad rolls. But it can be the other way around as well. You can have insane rolls all the time.
    But also, DKC only provides Dark Damage, pure Dark Imperils and kills himself with a DW build.
    So in this case, it is personal preference.
    With a water setup, Fire Veritas easily wins.

Fire Veritas [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Luneth

- Fire Veritas has way higher base ATK
    - Luneth has way higher total ATK due to not having Fixed Dice (110% higher ATK passives)
    - Luneth can utilize weapon passives
    - Luneth has innate DW
    - Luneth has higher modifiers pre-counter
    - Luneth has no imperils
    - Fire Veritas can change his element mid-fight
    - Luneth is consistent
    - Luneth has slightly better status ailment protection
    - Fire Veritas is heavily RNG based
    - Fire Veritas has higher survivability

In this case, Fire Veritas is still RNG based but doesn't need as much RNG to outdamage Luneth while also having innate imperils.
    There is still a possibility that Luneth will outdamage, but it's not guaranteed. SOOO I'd call that personal preference as well, but there are still some things to consider.
    Fire Veritas has AoE Damage Mitigation, has a very good offensive Team Buff and 4 different imperils to support your team in many ways.
    Also, Luneth as a water finisher will not outdamage Fire Veritas since you can still run Water Fire Veritas then, who is a wrecking force.
    So Fire Veritas wins.

Trust Master Reward:
    His Trust Master Reward imo is only really good for his own Water Build. Besides that, it's pretty bad compared to other 30% ATK TMR's. So if you want to run a Water build, instant farm it. If not, leave it alone.

Conclusion:
    Fire Veritas is a fantastic unit. A very large amount of equipment choices, a very large amount of elementals + imperils.
    High DPS. Really good survivability. Good Buffs, awesome sprite.... small axe.
    I really like Fire Veritas and he is on a Banner with another awesome 5* unit, Dark Veritas. So yes, I recommend going for him.
    BTW: Gambling for life.

@TLA 's: Should you Pull?

(going back to the old ratings already)
    Character Design: 8/10
    Sprite: 11/10
    Chainer: 0/10
    Finisher: 9.5/10
    Limit Burst: 6/10
    Trust Master Reward: 6/10 (only good for his Water Build, but then it's amazing)
    Free 2 Play: 7.5-8/10
    Pay 2 Play: 9.5/10
    Personal Rating: 9/10
    Optimal Rating: 9.5/10 (including his ideal form)

THIS WAS SOME SERIOUS WORK, phew. I might tone it down a little, for now, enjoy it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. HazardSephiroth

HazardSephiroth "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL:Tidus/2b/Reagen JP:Auron/Akstar
    121/97
    Very good job man, i wish to take him with DV because i dont have a finisher

Parade and Memel0rd like this.
  3. Parade

Parade I'm So Proud of You, Children VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    GDI Memel0rd, at first I was like "It would be cool if I pulled Flame Veritas while going for Dark" and now I'm like "MUST HAVE FLAME FOR MY 2x MAX LB TIDUS".

Scheich, Rage, Memel0rd and 1 other person like this.
  4. Exeon

Exeon Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive, Orlandeau or Event Unit
    I think you meant "unit" and not "units". =P

Otherwise, fantastic job! I still want DV more than him, but I wouldn't mind it anymore getting FV on the way. xD
    The usage of colors and how you put the units against each other in the comparison section is beautiful. You're really upping your game!

Parade and Memel0rd like this.
  5. Mercy

Mercy Barbariccia's fanboy. VIP Supporter Monthly Arena Champ S1

Don't you judge him! It's not about the size it's about how you use it!

...which was basically to chop Rain and his team in half but hey whatever makes him happy.

Fenix808, vjhawk, Parade and 2 others like this.
  6. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Unil0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I will tone it down a little, that was a lot of work. I think 2 hours and about 15 minutes, I can't afford that usually. But most of the stuff will stay.

7. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    What does GDI mean? :^)
    Well, the ATK stat is sexy.... and he has a 10x modifier.... And good allround stats + 2 decent buffs + 150% atk buff + absorb fire damage.
    BUT I dont want to hype you, no :rolleyes:

Exdeath-chan, Parade and Exeon like this.
  8. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    Internet slang for "God damnit!"

Too late!! I'm hyped! lol

9. Deiser

Deiser Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Zargabaath
    Awesome job with the review. I like the fact that he has such elemental variety despite being an elemental lord. WTF at being the best with a water build as a flamelord, lol.

Kosiciel and Parade like this.
  10. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Kinda ironic, pretty much a meme.
    Memel0rd confirmed?

Exdeath-chan, Parade and Exeon like this.
  11. spada

spada "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fryevia DV LMSakura Emperor DWTidus
    Nice review meme, though i'm gunning more for DV, need a chainer more than a finisher. Still, good to know he's OP as long as you build him right

12. Emeiru

Emeiru Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orly
    I assume that Fixed Dice isn't a must for him, given with the proper equipment I'm more inclined to use him as a multi-element DPS unit.

13. project 86

project 86 VIP VIP

well good thing i have 2x tidus and farmed viking axe way back when to try to seal water from gilgamesh trial::kefka::

Parade likes this.
  14. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    The only issue is that without an Axe or the Fixed Dice, you lose SO MUCH damage, but Axes have very little options.

Viking Axe: ATK+125, Water element (bad for his element choosing mechanic)
    Gigas Axe: ATK+85, SPR+15 (EVENT ONLY: Secret of Mana event)
    Gigantaxe: ATK+76, HP+15% (EVENT ONLY: FFII event)
    Demon Axe: ATK+65, HP+5%, Dark element (bad for his element choosing mechanic)
    Golden Axe: ATK+55 (Storyline and a few other places)

So if you want to use his element choosing mechanic... you get either the Gigas/Gigantaxe (40+ points weaker), or if you missed those events/items, the Golden Axe (70 points weaker).

ejx220 and Exeon like this.
  15. Rataftup

Rataftup Ascended Member

Just an idea...

If you attack yourself with Setzer having a fire sword, could you enable the big hitter counter move without damaging yourself?

That way, you hit yourself first turn, and got the nuke attack ready.
    Same for the 150% attack buff: you could use graviga on yourself, heal and profit.

That way, no RNG for two of the buffs. Only the imperil one stay RNG based.

Of course if it's possible.

Edit: better way to get this...
    You use graviga, so you proc the atk buff.
    Then you use a big fire chain (blood card for instance with veynard) to proc the big attack AND heal by absorbing fire....

Looks fun if possible...

(Sorry for my english, I'm exhausted and can't tipe clearly....)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  16. Consarn

Consarn Chantin' VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Alice, Sakuya and Yukarin
    NONO
    DONT

17. Exeon

Exeon Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive, Orlandeau or Event Unit
    I can see this actually work, lol!

18. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    If he's being healed and not taking damage, I doubt he will proc counterattacks.

19. TheRunawayGirl

TheRunawayGirl GIMU driving me insane~ VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Anything you might desire
    @Memel0rd you know now he'll pull hard ;)

Also, great review like usual. Although I'll say that I'll stick with my Luneth for the time being. Right now, I don't see too much use in FV in my team, but I can still see his great potential.
    Care if I ask for a Victoria review? That's the only unit I consider going for as F2P

20. Rataftup

Rataftup Ascended Member

Are you sure?
    If so, a small atk setzer with second knife should proc the counter, without doing any significant damage? No? Or any other chainer with many hits.

And... What about ashe hitting him? Should do minor damage AND heal him the same time, no...?

I'm starting to want him just to try this...

Edit: and what about the 2 materia from the event? Could you make it proc by hitting yourself? And if you proc it wirh ashe by hitting AND healing at the same time?

Same goes with all ability wich proc as a counter: Ashe could proc them without killing anybody, having a 10 hit spell...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Exeon likes this.