1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Warrior of Light (Final Fantasy I)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd On Vacation [7/9 - 7/19] Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Tidus | JP: Randi
    A great hero sung of in tales from a distant world. One of the warriors of light whose coming was foretold in the prophecies of old. The four warriors of light arrived in the land of Cornelia each bearing a crystal that has lost its light, and with no memories to speak of. In time, they realized that the crystals they held were inextricably linked to the four elements that sustained their world, and set off on a journey to instill them with light anew.
    The long awaited, long delayed and long speculated Warrior of Light 6 FiveStarawakening is finally in Global!

Warrior of Light Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 4*
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | Innate 100% Holy Resistance
    Trust Master Reward: Light's Blessing (Materia) - Grants Auto-Bravery, Auto-Faith and Auto-Regen

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3722 (+450) Mag: 126 (+30)
    MP: 155 (+75) Def: 124 (+30)
    Atk: 130 (+30) Spr: 125 (+30)

4*: Lvl 4 - DEF + 30%
    4*: Lvl 17 Undead Killer - Increase physical damage against undead monsters (50%)
    4*: Lvl 48 Sentinel - Chance to protect one ally (30%) with damage mitigation (50%)
    5*: Lvl 56 - HP + 20%
    6*: Lvl 1 Hope - Increase DEF (100%) when HP drops below 30%
    6*: Lvl 1 Warrior's Pride - Chance to counter magical attacks (30%) with Recover HP/MP (25%) to caster
    4*: Lvl 1 Store (2 MP) - Increase ATK (80%, max 160%) for the next normal attack to caster ; Increase damage taken (50%) to caster

4*: Lvl 25 Breath of Life (6 MP) - Heal (400 HP, 3x) to caster

4*: Lvl 33 Bladeblitz (14 MP / 3-Hit) - Physical damage (1.4x) to all enemies

5*: Lvl 69 Full Break (14 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (1.6x) to one enemy ; Decrease ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR (30%) for 3 turns to one enemy

5*: Lvl 78 Shining Wave (30 MP / 1-Hit) - Light magic damage (2.1x) to all enemies

6*: Lvl 30 Embolden (57 MP) - Increase ATK/DEF (45%) for 5 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 40 Brave Presence (14 MP) - Increase chance of being targeted (100%) for 1 turn to caster

6*: Lvl 62 Armor Eraser (48 MP) - Decrease DEF/SPR (45%) for 3 turns to all enemies

6*: Lvl 85 Arms Eraser (48 MP) - Decrease ATK/MAG (45%) for 3 turns to all enemies

6*: Lvl 100 Light is with us! (25 MP) - Chance to protect all allies (50%) with damage mitigation (50%)
    6*: Lvl 23 Raise (12 MP) - Revive one KO'd ally (30% HP)

6* Limit Burst:
    Crystal Saber (Base / 16 LB Crysts): 7-Hit Light physical damage (2.7x) to all enemies
    Increase DEF (50%) for 3 turns to all allies
    Crystal Saber (Base / 16 LB Crysts): 7-Hit Light physical damage (3.9x) to all enemies
    Increase DEF (74%) for 3 turns to all allies

Pros:
    WoL has a really good HP stat paired up with a 20% HP boost, decent SPR and DEF with 30% DEF passives. That makes him overall pretty tanky already. Something which can easily put him really high up currently in terms of DEF, is "Hope".
    WoL is most likely going to fall under 30% HP in some way, and after that, he gains another +100% DEF, which is a really high buff. Good enough.

WoL's equipment selection is crazy. He can basically equip anything you want him to equip, making him very adaptive. As well as he has innate 100% holy resistance which is generally really good if the enemy uses a lot of holy attacks.

Moving on, his Warrior's Pride can make WoL quite self-sufficient. He can counter magic attacks with 25% max HP/MP heals, which honestly is a very easy way to heal him up and also might even make it easier for your MP batteries / healers to can get a free turn for something.

WoL's awakening adds a lot of huge supportive aspects. Not only had WoL a fullbreak before he got awakened, but now he gains an AoE 3 Turn 45% ATK/MAG or DEF/SPR break. Both are handy, very strong and definitely recommended to use. He can either make yourself way more survivable, or increase your DPS by a large amount.

He cannot only break the enemy. With Embolden, he can buff your team's DEF and ATK by 45% for 5 turns! 5 turns are a lot of turns and WoL has a lot of time, so he can easily use an Embolden from time to time. Currently still a strong buff and nice to have on him.

So, he can break and buff, but that's not really what a tank is considered to be. So, what makes him a top tier tank?

His Brave Presence is one of the two aspects that make him the best tank right now. It's a 1-Turn 100% provoke, which is definitely inferior to Wilhelm's, but still really good. You should not underestimate the usefulness of 100% provokes, essential for snorts, instant death moves, etc.

But his main aspect, which makes him a whole other level of tanks, is his Light is with us!.
    Warrior of Light has a 50% chance to protect
    your whole team with innate 50% damage mitigation. All physical AoE attacks will simply hit only WoL and not your team. Which makes his Hope very good, since he easily drops below 30% HP to proc it.
    Also, do notice, that Light is with us! consists hidden damage mitigation, that means guards and damage mitigation buffs like Rikku's Ultra Null-All will reduce the taken damage
    even further.

WoL also gets access to Raise, which can come in handy in sticky situations where your support died but you can't affort your healer to use a turn for raising the unit.

Cons:
    WoL's base DEF seems really low compared to somebody like Wilhelm. And he "only" gets 30% DEF and 20% HP, even Sozhe has better stat passives. Also, WoL's MP is horrible.

WoL, even with his Hope (which is random), has huge MP problems if you're unlucky. His breaks cost 48 MP, his Embolden costs 57 MP and he does not have a high MP stat neither has he any MP passives or refreshs besides his Hope. So, if you're unlucky, you will run out of MP very fast. In my eyes this is a huge con.

The randomness of Hope is not the only one. His Light is with us! is very strong, yes, but it's only a 50% chance to proc. That means, you are still very likely to get hit by an AoE attack at least once, which might be a problem since WoL won't cover ST attacks afterwards. Only the AoE ones. So if an enemy deals half of your HP to your whole team and he doesn't cover it, it's very likely that a ST attack can kill them unless you used some sort of provoke with WoL before.

Also, WoL's LB sounds nice at the first glance, but it only buffs your DEF. Nothing else. There are several LB's that can do way better than that.

WoL also (again) has no status ailment protection, which can be crucial on anybody. Especially if you stack a lot of HP on him, poison can deal a lot of damage in advance since it deals 10% max HP every turn. Also, if he gets stoned, or in before put in sleep / paralysis, he cannot cover your team. So make sure that he is protected adjusted to the enemy.

WoL is also very vulnerable to MAG attacks, since he has very low SPR. His Light is with us doesn't really help, yes, it's 50% damage mitigation, but he is still rather squishy against MAG and his Hope only increases DEF.

Side-Notes:
    WoL's enhancements fix a lot of stuff:
    His 100% provoke lasts 3 turns (almost Wilhelm level)
    His Light is with us! has a 75% chance to proc as well as granting more damage mitigation against magic, which makes him more survivable against that
    Hope will become very good. Not only does the DEF buff go up to 150% , but he also gains innate 20% SPR as well as a 150% SPR buff when dropping below 30% HP.
    So that means, if he is really strong right now, his future enhancements will make him a tank monster. I highly recommend saving your Tech crysts and Guard crysts for either him or Wilhelm.

Arena:
    Tanks in general are .... really annoying as enemy. If you stack up lots of HP, he can protect your team with Light is with us! pretty good. I tested him already a bit in Arena since status ailments are banned this week and I must say, he eats up a lot of things which might potentially killed my team. So he is definitely not useless. I recommend at least trying him once.

Comparison: Wilhelm
    [​IMG]

- Both have huge MP problems when supportive aspects are used, but WoL can regen MP with his counter
    - WoL has 100% provoke with no mitigations and only 1-Turn
    - WoL has a 50% chance upon a physical hit to cover your whole team
    - Wilhelm has way higher stats, way better passives
    - Wilhelm has really good HP recovery when guarding
    - WoL has embolden, armor and arms eraser + raise, making him a really good side support
    - WoL gets +100% def/spr boosts when below 30%, Wilhelm "only" 75%
    - WoL has no status ailment resistances, but way larger equipment selection

This comparison is really difficult to make, since they have different roles. Wilhelm is a provoke tank while WoL is a cover tank. So I will only compare them by everything else, comparing AoE 50% to ST 100% is not really.... it doesn't make real sense.
    By just stats, Wilhelm destroys WoL. Wilhelm is a pure Fortress with 80% Def, 30% HP and 20% SPR, WoL only has 20% HP and 30% Def. Also Wilhelm's LB is awesome as heck, WoL's LB is really useless.
    WoL though can heal himself (percentage based) with a 30% chance upon being hit by a magic attack, this "can" lead himself to be almost fully healed after a strong attack. Also he gets around 60 MP (potted) regen'd when countering, making it somewhat a sustainable MP regen.
    Nobody wins in this one since they have different tank roles. Wilhelm is the best provoke tank, definitely better than Cecil while WoL is an AoE cover tank.
    I definitely recommend trying both and use the one who is better against a certain enemy. WoL will most likely be better against enemies with lots of AoE attacks, while Wilhelm will shine against ST damage enemies.

Comparison: Other tanks besides Wilhelm
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

All these showed tanks are already inferior to Wilhelm. I don't want to sound lazy, but there is almost no reason to compare them after the in-depth comparison with Wilhelm.
    But I will write some unique things these 3 have over WoL:
    - Cecil has innate Curaja and Focus
    - Snow has Draw Attacks, which is very useful against Dispel Enemies
    - WKN has very high mitigation with decent side DPS

Trust Master Reward:
    WoL's TMR is really bad. It's basically Auto-Shell, Auto-Protect and Auto-Regen. Since Shell and protect are only 20% buffs, they are easily overwritten. So his TMR is basically Auto-Regen, which is awful as it is. The regular Auto-Regen heal is very underwhelming.
    Please don't go for his TMR at all, one of the worsts.

Conclusion:
    Warrior of Light is an excellent unit right now and even stronger in the future. If you don't have WoL yet and no Wilhelm, I highly recommend going for a WoL. He will be needed in the future and offers lots of supportive aspects.

Character Design: 8.5/10
    Sprite: 9/10
    Single Target Tank: 8/10
    AoE Tank: 9/10
    Free 2 Play: 9/10
    Pay 2 Play: 8.5/10
    Personal Rating: 8.5/10
    Optimal Rating: 9/10​

I have already played a lot with WoL and used strong Wilhelm friends before, both certainly have their charme. WoL is really good, use him if you have him!
    Bye bye cecil ::rudecat2::

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Fahri99, Faeth, Gwailoh13 and 16 others like this.
  2. kestalkayden

kestalkayden Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    efryevia
    WoL has Eluded me. One day. He'll be mine.

Great review!

3. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
    As captain of the WoL Hype Squad, i fee honored for this review, i hope the Wilhelm faction understand how awesome this Hero of Heroes Is.

Parade and Memel0rd like this.
  4. Consarn

Consarn Grounded for life... NOT! VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Alice, Sakuya and Yukarin
    So now he's the new breaker guy?

Memel0rd likes this.
  5. Zerberuz

Zerberuz Ascended Member

Very good Review Meme ! Can you do one for Garland too ? pls :D

Memel0rd likes this.
  6. Consarn

Leads:
    DON'T DO IT!

7. Zerberuz

Zerberuz Ascended Member

Why not ?

8. Hatsumomo

Hatsumomo Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Yes garland please

Zerberuz likes this.
  9. Consarn

Leads:
    You'll see.

10. Memel0rd

Memel0rd On Vacation [7/9 - 7/19] Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Gonna write it RN!

:3

11. Wolfen

Wolfen Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Aileen
    Nice review, was waiting for it ! WoL is really nice tank, I used it for a while (even if 5* only and I had other better options) and now that he is 6* it's like a dream with Tilith, only have to level up Rikku for the whole team !!
    I'd like to get a Wilhem just for covering the 2 tanking types (and because I really like tanks), but WoL is clearly my buddy !

Hillgigas209 and Memel0rd like this.
  12. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I'd appreciate Wilhelm as well, especially since most of the times you will use Mistair in the far future and Mistair + Wilhelm is a really strong tank combination. :)

Parade likes this.
  13. ejx220

ejx220 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra/A2
    Thanks for this review! I have both WoL and Wilhelm so I'm super happy, especially after reading your review.

Parade likes this.
  14. Parade

Parade I'm So Proud of You, Children VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    The word you're looking for here is "inferior". "Superior" means better.

It's been shoved down our throats so far that "the Wilhelm faction" feared that WoL is going to render him obsolete. Those of us that know better are trying to recover from the damage now that the hype has died down and we can REASONABLY assess both tanks. Memel0rd's excellent WoL vs. Wilhelm comparison is exactly what both sides needed to keep things in perspective.

Much like Rem and Tilith, who are friends and not competitors (especially on the same team!), WoL and Wilhelm should not be considered competition but both conditional depending on content and team composition.

Yep, Tank + Breaker is a pretty nice combination.

15. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ask on Chat
    Indeed Sire!

The good this about the Game so far, is that every Tank is different to another, so depending the circumstances, you can use any of the choices, Even Cecil was good against Maxwell thanks to his innate 100% light resist.

Parade likes this.
  16. Consarn

Leads:
    *COUGH WHEEZE* rain *CHOKE DIE*

17. Kien_Tolkien

Kien_Tolkien Well-Known Member

When it becomes too hard to choose which one to use, I bring both. It's like having a pair of handsome & manly brothers to "carry" the rest of your team.
    Btw, is Wol evasive build okay in future trials?

Parade likes this.
  18. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Already fixed it yesterday :). Just didn't have the time to reply to all comments (it gets harder and harder with all the replies).

19. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Well, Snow still has a nice niche as a F2P tank with his draw attacks. It was really useful against Maxwell because of her Rune.
    Also, I am about to put Snow over Cecil in the Tank Section since I've seen him being used way more often than Cecil because of the reliable 100% provoke.

Parade likes this.
  20. Parade

Parade I'm So Proud of You, Children VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    I didn't realize how much I needed 100% Provoke until Wilhelm. It's SO MUCH BETTER than 75% Provoke.