1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Wilhelm (Final Fantasy Brave Exvius)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, May 25, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Warrior of Light Bartz
    A general of the Zoldaad Empire. He wears extremely heavy armor, and once boasted of the title of Imperial Shield for his efforts on the field. Although he was in charge of the empire's Magitek squadron, everything changed when Zoldaad began implementing dictatorial practices into their government. Following this, his superiors saw to his removal from any crucial missions, and expelled him to a remote location. On top of that, he really likes beard grooming since he's the new mustache guy. Today's review will be about Wilhelm, the best provoke tank.

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG]5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Imperial Shield (Heavy Shield) - +65 DEF / SPR

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3784 (+390) Mag: 113 (+26)
    MP: 153 (+65) Def: 148 (+34)
    Atk: 135 (+26) Spr: 135 (+26)

5*: Lvl 21 Draw Attacks - Increase chance of being targeted (50%)
    5*: Lvl 32 Counter - Chance to counter physical attacks (30%)
    5*: Lvl 42 - SPR + 20%
    5*: Lvl 58 Eye for an Eye - Increase chance to counter (2x)
    6*: Lvl 1 Insatiable Heart - Increase DEF/SPR (75%) when HP drops below 30%
    6*: Lvl 39 - HP + 30%
    6*: Lvl 67 - DEF + 30%
    6*: Lvl 75 Guardian - Increase DEF (25%) when equipped with a heavy shield ; Increase DEF (25%) when equipped with heavy armor
    6*: Lvl 89 Fortress - Heal (340 HP, 8x) when guarding
    6*: Global Exclusive Lvl 95 Loyal Guardian - Increase LB gauge (3) per turn ; Increase resistance to all status ailments (50%)
    5*: Lvl 3 Guard Smite (12 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (1.4x) to one enemy ; Decrease damage taken (50%) for 1 turn to caster
    5*: Lvl 10 Shield Bash (8 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (1.2x) to one enemy ; Inflict confuse (30%) to one enemy
    5*: Lvl 80 General's Command (57 MP) - Increase DEF/SPR (45%) for 5 turns to all allies
    6*: Lvl 25 Imperial Lance (18 MP / 1-Hit) - Physical damage (1.8x) to one enemy
    6*: Global Exclusive Lvl 84 General Battlecry (52 MP) - Increase ATK/MAG (50%) for 3 turns to all allies ; Increase LB gauge fill rate (50%) for 3 turns to all allies
    6*: Lvl 100 Impregnable (32 MP) - Increase chance of being targeted (100%) for 3 turns to caster ; Decrease damage taken (30%) for 3 turn to caster

6* Limit Burst:
    Great Wall (Base): Decrease damage taken (30%) for 1 turn to all allies ; Increase DEF (50%) for 3 turns to caster
    Great Wall (Max): Decrease damage taken (54%) for 1 turn to all allies
    Increase DEF (74%) for 3 turns to caster

Pros:
    Wilhelm has a Mustache.

Just fooling around, sorry. Starting off with his base stats. They are amazing. A pretty high HP base with another HP + 30%, HUGE DEF stats with +80% DEF and something pretty surprising: A good SPR Base + 20% SPR. Making him overall a really good tank by his stats already, since most tanks lack on SPR stats. Wilhelm also has innate Draw Attacks, which is always useful when he cannot use his Provoke.

The first time I will talk about a unit's LB this early. Wilhelm's LB at max can decrease the incomming damage by 54%, that's INSANE. It only costs 16 crysts + his GE grants him 3 LB crysts every turn and his 60% physical counter chance & 100% provoke make him a really strong LB cryst collector. Meaning you can use his LB really often. This is a HUGE pro, almost spammable -54% aoe damage reduction. Really strong.

Wilhelm even has innate heals on his guard with an 8x SPR mod, that's a pretty huge heal on guarding. Always useful. He also gains +50% resistance to all status ailments, making him similar to Ramza. It's good, but not 100% reliable, keep that in mind.

Wilhelm also has pretty good buffs in his kit. AoE +45% DEF/SPR or AoE + 50% ATK/MAG with 50% LB fillrate. Really strong overall buffs for the current meta. Especially the LB fillrate isn't the most insane one but still really good if you have a team with really good LB's to use (E.G. wilhelm himself). But that's not his main Pro.

The most outstanding thing about Wilhelm is, that he has access to a 100% 3-Turn Provoke. And it also grants him -30% Damage reduction, beeeaaautiful. Wilhelm himself is a pure fortress with this. Because damage reduction stacks with guarding, he can heal himself while 100% provoking and having huge damage mitigations on top of it. Simply amazing. Delicious.

And do not forget: He has the mustache bonus.

Cons:
    Wilhelm has poor MP stats with no Auto-Refresh to support him. He has a total of ~210 MP (potted). This makes his AoE Buffs pretty bad, since both of them cost over 50 MP. So you see where this is going. If you want to rotate between his buffs and his provoke, only one 3-turn rotation would cost 141 MP. That's already about 64% of his MP gone for good. So choose wisely when to use his AoE Buffs, because it's really draining his MP which he cannot gain back by himself (except with using Items, but that I do not include).

A minor con is, that his innate Status Ailment resistances are "only" 50%, making him unreliable if you really want him to eat up all those status ailments thrown out to you. But this con can be dealt with easily by simply equpping him with the Red helmet from the 2-headed-dragon trial. That's the main status ailments he needs to resist.

Wilhelm also gets no ATK passives, making his Counters beside their LB Cryst collecting pretty useless in terms of pure dmg. But that's also just a side con.

A pretty huge con for most of the future players will be:
    He has no AoE Cover. We will get WoL 6* pretty soon and he has a 50% chance to AoE Tank all damage (proc'd by physical damage) and soon Mistair with AoE Magic tank capabilities.

Side-Notes:
    Most players will switch to WoL then, but @Jose told me that Wilhelm + Mistair is one of the best tank combinations one can have. Way better than WoL + Mistair, so I will trust him on this one and say as long as you will pull for Mistair, Wilhelm is still an AWESOME pull.

Arena:
    Wilhelm seems rather OK-ish here. He cannot guard any of your units, provoke does not work in arena (at least I think it doesn't, correct me if I'm wrong). He has a mustache, so big plus. Beside actual buffs, I think wilhelm should not be put in your Arena teams.

Comparison: Cecil ( http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Cecil )
    [​IMG]
    - Cecil has no mustache
    - Cecil has a high chance to guard allies
    - But guarding is useless if you can just 100% provoke (cecil = roasted)
    - Wilhelm has way higher stats with better passives
    - Both have awesome LB's though I think Wilhelm's a lot better
    - Cecil can buff and heal your team while Wilhelm has access to better buffs
    - Cecil has innate 100% Light Resistance while Wilhelm has 50% status ailment resistances to all status ailments
    - Wilhelm can heal himself while guarding
    - Wilhelm can spam his LB way more often than Cecil and still collect way more LB Crysts for your team

Wilhelm wins this one. Both have similar damage mitigation, tho Wilhelm can heal himself while guarding. And chances are a DC Curaja from Refia / Ysh already fully heals your party except for your tank. Wilhelm also has way better stats, a 100% provoke > 70% provoke making him 100% reliable in what he should do since the 70% provoke from cecil can't guarantee him to tank if you are unlucky. And Cecil has no mustache, sorry bro.

Comparison: White Knight Noel ( http://exvius.gamepedia.com/White_Knight_Noel )

[​IMG]
    - WKN has a huge sprite
    - WKN cannot 100% provoke, only 80% + 30%, but with a higher damage mitigation
    - Steel from WKN has a huge damage mitigation but it will overwrite the one from his provoke, making it worse than actual guarding, since it's the same mitigation but costs MP
    - WKN's counters proc less often, have a random chance to do 4 seperate counters and both are elemental on top of it, making them pretty good / useless regarding who you're fightning
    - Wilhelm has way better stats and really good buffs
    - WKN tries to be a mage and tank at the same time
    - Both have good LB's, though I like Wilhelm's more
    - Wilhelm has way higher SPR

Once again, Wilhelm wins this one. Pretty similar reasons to above and will be the same for the following comparison. WKN has way worse SPR stats, even when equipped with a staff. He also has slightly less HP, no self-recovering while guarding, no 100% guaranteed provoke and no buffs. So WKN only has tanking with pretty ok damage, nothing really supportive besides small debuffs almost nobody can abuse, really.

Comparison: Snow (enhanced) ( http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Snow )
    [​IMG]

- Snow has higher HP but waaay worse stats
    - Snow can counter waaay more often and magic attacks making him collect more crysts
    - Snow's equipment selection is trash
    - Snow's LB is trash
    - Snow's buff kill him
    - Snow has no damage mitigation at all
    - Snow has no utility / supportive aspects

Wilhelm clearly wins, way higher damage mitigation, buffs, similar HP stats, way higher stats, really strong LB and similar LB cryst collecting.

Comparison: WoL 6* ( https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/wiki/units/222 )
    [​IMG]

- Both have huge MP problems when supportive aspects are used, but WoL can regen MP with his counter
    - WoL has 100% provoke with no mitigations and only 1-Turn
    - WoL has a 50% chance upon a physical hit to cover your whole team

- Wilhelm has way higher stats, way better passives
    - Wilhelm has really good HP recovery when guarding
    - WoL has embolden, armor and arms eraser + raise, making him a really good side support
    - WoL gets +100% def/spr boosts when below 30%, Wilhelm "only" 75%
    - WoL has no status ailment resistances, but way larger equipment selection

This comparison is really difficult to make, since they have different roles. Wilhelm is a provoke tank while WoL is a cover tank. So I will only compare them by everything else, comparing AoE 50% to ST 100% is not really.... it doesn't make real sense.
    By just stats, Wilhelm destroys WoL. Wilhelm is a pure Fortress with 80% Def, 30% HP and 20% SPR, WoL only has 20% HP and 30% Def. Also Wilhelm's LB is awesome as heck, WoL's LB is really useless.
    WoL though can heal himself (percentage based) with a 30% chance upon being hit by a magic attack, this "can" lead himself to be almost fully healed after a strong attack. Also he gets around 60 MP (potted) regen'd when countering, making it somewhat a sustainable MP regen.
    Nobody wins in this one, both have other niches that could make them "XY > XX", I just wanted to clarify that for you. I don't want to see any comments "WoL is way better than Wilhelm", because it's a dumb comparison.

Trust Master Reward:
    Wilhelm's TMR is awesome, this is probably the best heavy shield for ages. Grab it if you want tank TMR's, 65 DEF / SPR is just huuuuge.

My Conclusion:
    One of the best tanks for a looong time. Even his enhanced version is just badass and Altema's Ratings are not accurate. Wilhelm is a fortress and will ever be a fortress. If you want him, pull for him.
    @TLA "Should you pull?"

Character Design: 9/10
    Sprite: 11/10 (Mustache boi)
    Chainer: 0/10
    Finisher: 3/10
    Personal Rating: 9/10
    Optimal Rating: 9.5/10

EMBRACE THE MUSTACHE. The first GL Husbando @Parade

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    JMR, Lachesis, soomon and 17 others like this.
  2. Jose

Jose Purple lord VIP Supporter

Leads:
    GL: MAH BOI CECIL JP: Bronion Knight
    Told you already that you can ask me for sprites as i can datamine them. Here's WoL 6*

[​IMG]

Anyways, Wilhelm is the best provoke tank, and the only downside about him is that he doesn't have any AoE cover, but besides that, he's WoL with steroids and one of the only 2 units who can tank Aigaion's & Typhoons ohko move. He works very well with Mistair because he can 100% provoke everything and eat up physical damage while Mistair can aoe magic cover. 2 AoE covers can't be active at the same time.

Another good combo is Wilhelm + Rikku as Wilhelm can counter a shit ton. If you give him black belt, you'd need to wait an eternity to see him finish countering. But, the main focus of this is that counter generates a very big amount of LB crystals, which Rikku so much needs.

3. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Forum-Crash-L0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Edited it! Thanks, and btw: answer me on discord, dammit

Parade likes this.
  4. Parade

Parade I'm So Proud of You, Children VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    Hmm... Husbando Wilhelm and Waifu Rem... I'll take it!

Redtide and Memel0rd like this.
  5. Scheich

Scheich "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Leads:
    Event / Trial Units
    I think i'm getting weak. That mustache.. xD He seems awesome, especially as i want rikku in the Future. Think ill try At least.

6. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    Plus Wilhelm himself can use :3

7. Bryyce

Bryyce Ascended Member

Leads:
    2B
    Can you elaborate on the difference between a provoke tank and a cover tank?
    My understanding is that a provoke tank attracts the attacks on himself, while a cover tank will move to protect another unit being attacked. But... i don't really grasp the implications of this during a fight.
    In which situations one is better than the other?
    Thanks

8. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    The provoke tank, as you said, directs the attacks to himself. A cover tank (e.g. WoL / Mistair) covers the whole team from taking damage. WoL tanks magic as well as physical damage, tho it can only be proc'd by physical damage. Mistair tanks all magic damage and all physical hits bypass her. So a cover tank protects the whole team

Bryyce likes this.
  9. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    Let me elaborate a bit in case of confusion of "Cover" (like Cecil) vs. the Covers being discussed here.

CURRENT GL "Cover" abilities only Cover one member. Since it's kinda random which one it picks, it's not super great. Cecil is the best Cover unit right now.

In the future, WoL and Mistair gain AoE Covers that allow them to take hits for the ENTIRE party. That's what Memey and Jose discussing here. It's not currently a feature in GL.

Bryyce likes this.
  10. Jman1115

Jman1115 The bewbsologist VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    338 898 279
    Leads:
    A2
    [​IMG]

That stache only gets sexier with age. Tom Selleck is my idol.

Khidir, Scheich and Memel0rd like this.
  11. Scheich

Leads:
    Event / Trial Units
    So from a F2P perspective. Should one Go After Wilhelm now or wait for WoL? I use like Most Cecil and WoL is ready to awaken. Wilhelm Sounds awesome But If i pull i want an Unit i use a Bit before replacing. Its not likely I use both WoL and Wilhelm at the same time. But with Rikku hopefully soon Wilhelm seems like the better option. To bad the rest of the banner isn't really good. Any advice from the expert or jp players?

12. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    If you want to save up your stuff, just do a few dailies or so. I wouldn't go all out unless you reaaally want him. But its never guaranteed you get him

Parade likes this.
  13. Scheich

Leads:
    Event / Trial Units
    Thanks. Dailys i Never have luck with. Mostly just 3* crap. So if I don't get him, WoL is an good substitute for future trials and so on?

Parade likes this.
  14. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    WoL is really strong for future trials.

Valmanway, Parade and Scheich like this.
  15. Redtide

Redtide YoRHa No.2 Type E VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Shadow
    sold

Vayhn, Khidir, Parade and 2 others like this.
  16. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Facts are facts :]

Vayhn, Parade and Jman1115 like this.
  17. Tryma

Tryma Ascended Member

I've been battling myself all week about if I want to use my resources to try and get Wilhelm. If it wasn't for the anniversary coming up, I would but I'm just worried I will miss out on something great if I spend what I have now. I've been playing 6 months and this is the first time I am really tempted to go all out for a character.

18. Apple Idea

Apple Idea Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Aileen 879
    I will still vote for Wol

19. Parade

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dicelord
    Sounds to me like it's not really a matter of pick-and-choose between Wilhelm and WoL... it's more like "what type of defense do you need?"... or do you need both? XD

.. Also, WoL still isn't here yet, so... NO CONTEST ;)

Jman1115 likes this.
  20. Veritas of the Wine

Veritas of the Wine Miss Vanjie VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Seph/Fry. JP: 7 star e.Seph
    Out of interest, is Mistair also a 5* base?