1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Yan (Final Fantasy Brave Exvius)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Sieghard ✓ Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Kurasame | JP: Akstar
    The young daughter of a famous swordsman from a certain village. Yan is a kind young lady who despite the graceful way in which she carries herself, will not hesitate to propose to her lover that they elope together. Although originally a sickly girl during her youth, she began venturing outside on her own as soon as her physical state improved. Nowadays many people often see her walking around with her favorite parasol in hand.
    The last of the chinese new year's batch, so far the banner has been amazing. Will she be able to keep it that way?

Yan Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG] 4*
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Lunar Parasol (Light Shield) - DEF+24, SPR+58
    Silence (Null), Confuse(Null), Petrify (Null)
    MP +30% (Yan Only), Auto-Regen (Yan only)

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3458 (+450) Mag: 132 (+30)
    MP: 188 (+75) Def: 127 (+30)
    Atk: 107 (+30) Spr: 146 (+30)

6* Limit Burst:
    Ritual of Longevity (Base / 20 LB-Crysts): Auto-revive (80% HP) for 3 turns to all allies
    Increase resistance to all elements (40%) for 3 turns to all allies
    Ritual of Longevity (Max / 20 LB-Crysts): Auto-revive (80% HP) for 3 turns to all allies
    Increase resistance to all elements (64%) for 3 turns to all allies

4*: Lvl 10 Chi - Kindness Rain (18 MP) - Recover HP (2000) to all allies

4*: Lvl 36 Chi - Golden Pearl Tenacity (21 MP) - Increase LB gauge fill rate (100%) for 3 turns to all allies

5*: Lvl 32 Chi - Gentle Winds (12 MP) - Recover MP (20) to all allies except caster

5*: Lvl 72 Eternal Blossoms (24 MP) - Mitigate damage taken (30%) for 3 turns to all allies

5*: Lvl 80 Jade Resilience (38 MP) - Increase ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR break resistance (100%) for 3 turns to all allies

6*: Lvl 28 Invoke Fire (30 MP) - Decrease fire resistance (50%) for 3 turns to one enemy
    Decrease DEF (50%) for 3 turns to one enemy

6*: Lvl 58 Invoke Wind (30 MP) - Decrease wind resistance (50%) for 3 turns to one enemy
    Decrease DEF (50%) for 3 turns to one enemy

6*: Lvl 94 Flaming Ashes (70 MP) - Revive all KO'd allies (100% HP)

6*: Lvl 100 Power of Chi (0 MP) - Use Chi skills twice in one turn
    4*: Lvl 1 Unspoken Affection - Use Unspoken Affection when Ang is alive
    Unspoken Affection - Increase SPR (20%) for 1 turn to caster

4*: Lvl 52 - SPR + 20%

5*: Lvl 1 Loving Warmth - Use Loving Warmth when Ang is alive
    Loving Warmth - Increase LB gauge (2) to caster

5*: Lvl 16 Safety Amulet - Increase HP (20%)
    Decrease chance of being targeted (30%)

6*: Lvl 1 Caring Embrace - Use Caring Embrace when Ang is alive
    Caring Embrace - Mitigate damage taken (10%) for 1 turn to caster

6*: Lvl 10 Refreshing Vigor - Increase MP (20%)
    Recover MP (5%) per turn

6*: Lvl 80 Spiritual Virtue - Increase SPR (50%) when equipped with a light shield
    Increase resistance to all elements (20%)

Pros:
    Yan's sprite kinda made me think about Mulan. Hm...

Jumping right into it: Yan for a 4* has amazing base stats. High HP, high MP, decent DEF and high SPR. Topping that off, she gets a total of 20% HP/MP, 70% SPR (with a light shield), 5% MP refresh and 30% camouflage. These stat passives perfectly fit to her as a unit since she is a support healer type of unit. I am pretty surprised at her high stats. Really not too shabby. But she still has that all 20% elemental resistance. For a 4*, these stats are very solid.

Just like her lover Ang, she has a couple of passives that include him. Three to be precised, as long as Ang and Yan are alive and together, Yan will get Auto-Shell, 10% Auto Mitigation and 2 Auto LB. The latter being the most important one as the other two are likely to get overwritten by other buffs. Why the 2 auto LB is really nice on her is something you'll see later on when I'm talking about her Limit Burst.

Havin all the traits and stats covered, it's time to move on to her abilities. I'll cover the ones without "Chi-" in their name firstly.

Yan has access to an AoE 30% 3 turn damage mitigation buff. Eternal Blossoms is basically the same version of the abilities 9S and Crowe have and this ability alone is a great tool for 4* units. It can be used in 10 man trials where you just swap Yan in to use that or to help your team survival various attacks. Great ability.

Jade Resilience is an ability I'd love to see on many many units. It's an AoE 3 turn break resistance buff and yes. Always yes, it's a blessing to have it. I love running Tilith simply because she has that same buff. It helps against all trials that break your stats, especially Wicked Moon, it helps people that use Emperor so they don't break their own SPR. It's just an amazing move to have combined with Eternal Blossoms and adds to the versatility in many ways. Thumbs up once again.

Regarding her versatility, Yan gets even more interesting. Since she is designed to function together with Ang, she has Invoke Fire / Wind, respectively breaking ST DEF by 50% and imperiling 50% Fire or Wind. It's just great to have all these three different types of abilities combined into one unit. Often enough people lack external imperils for e.g. chainers like Onion Knight or A2. Sometimes even are unable to fit units with external imperils into their party, while the most common choice is Ace. Yan however can be their imperil unit while having all these different abilities.

The same goes for Flaming Ashes. Something for instance Tilith and Rikku have, an AoE 100% HP raise. This is just amazing in every situation you are facing and are lacking a good raiser or don't have the time to do so.

Three abilities to go, but something we have to point out first: Yan can dualcast all of these FOLLOWING abilities. Since they have "Chi-" in their name of course.

First, we have an AoE 2000 HP heal. Fair enough, Chi - Kindness Rain can be pretty good since it can recover a fixed amount of 4k HP. While it's not an amazing heal, sometimes I have many occasions where I don't actually need a massive healer. And since she has amazing support abilities, maybe you'd use her sometimes instead of a healer.

Second being Chi - Golden Pearl Tenacity. An AoE 100% LB Fillrate for three turns. Very handy for herself as you will see in juuuust a second and very helpful for others. If you run units like Ang and Chow for instance, both of them highly appreciate quicker LBs and Yan does, too. This can be very useful if you only need 1~2k HP on your team but want to make it more worthwhile, which might put it above Eccentrick in certain situations simply because you can do healing or MP recovering in the same turn.

Wait, what? MP recovering? Ok, it's not that much I have to say. Yan can recover AoE 20 MP except herself with Chi - Gentle Winds. Of course it can go up to 40 MP once you dualcast it, I don't see Yan as straight MP battery but especially for story events or something similar helpful. Or if you just have a shorter fight and don't feel like bringing a dedicated MP battery. More versatility as usual.

For her last "ability" I want to talk about is Yan's Limit Burst. It costs 20 LB Crysts but applies an AoE 80% Reraise, pretty much Rikku's Limit Burst, but instead of an AoE 50%~74% DEF/SPR buff, it grants an AoE 40%~64% ALL ELEMENTAL resistance buff. This limit burst, if you can spam it like Rikku's, is just a lot lot better. Great Limit Burst in all means, also pssht, but with that you can cheese your way through some fights if you can't handle them naturally.

Cons:
    Frankly I'm not really sure what to talk about here.

Yan feels like a jack of all trades, which might make it hard to use her. Since she has all of these different buffs but not being a really strong unit in that category, she might be outclassed.
    For instance, as a healer + status break resistance buffer, Tilith will be the better option. Or as an imperil unit that's acting as a MP battery, Ace will be better. Of course you can do many many MANY different things with Yan, but I feel like many players will prefer a different unit over her in many cases.

Something that's more important than the previous thing I've mentioned is that Yan can't equip any weapons. This simply means less potential survivability or for instance LB fillrate. Rikku can innately equip knuckles, giving her a higher LB fillrate with Overdrive / Aigaion Arm. Generally Yan's equipment selection is pretty limited, but it shouldn't hurt her much.

If you have any cons revolving Yan, please let me know. I mean, yes, her heals and MP recover moves are not the best, but that's not what she's supposed to be. Yan is not a MP battery nor a main healer, but more of a support healer as I said earlier.

Yan might be a little too slow for some players to be truly worth it simply because she can't DC every ability she has or rather only three of them. But if she could DC the mitigation and break resistance buff too.... damn.

Side-Notes:
    For players with strong tanks or generally good setup that doesn't require a whole lot of heals, running a bard paired up with Yan might be a good idea. Bards already provide a good amount of side healing and recently I've ran into many fights where I didn't really need the healer that much. This is where Yan can shine because she has so much to play with and still provides 2-4k fixed heals if needed.
    Besides that, I've already covered everything she can do and for the future I don't know many 4* units that are on the same level as hers.

Best In Slot:
    This time, there isn't a real best in slot. There are tons of different builds you can focus her on. For instance an auto LB set that makes it super easy to spam her LB to simply cheese fights. Pirate Jake Ring for instance is the perfect accessory for her:
    Great defensive stats, LB fillrate and Auto LB. Everything she can use very well and I'm sure you'll be able to get something good out of it.
    Besides that, if you don't want to use her LB, you should just focus on status ailment resistance and/or survivability.

Arena:
    Yan is only good in the arena if you feel like using reraise a lot and be THAT GUY once again. I'm looking at you --. But for real, Yan doesn't do much here outside of healing, auto reraise and maybe aoe raise. She has no natural status ailment protection, she doesn't inflict status ailments, no stop, no damage. I'd not recommend her in the arena.

Yan [​IMG] VS [​IMG] Rikku
    • Rikku has slightly higher HP, but less DEF/SPR
    • Rikku has a far better equipment selection
    • Yan has innate 5% MP refresh
    • Yan has innate 20% all element resistance
    • Rikku has innate 100% LB fillrate and only 16 LB cost
    • Yan has a better limit burst
    • Rikku has innate 20% phys dodge
    • Both have an AoE 100% HP raise
    • Rikku's mitigation skill is delayed
    • Yan has many various buffs and debuffs
    • Yan can DC some of her moves
    The only thing Rikku really does better than Yan is the limit burst, but this feels like being only a on-paper issue. Rikku can easily spam her LB with her innate 100% lb fillrate, some Auto LB gear, Overdrive and Eccentrick. Easily every turn thus you can cheese a lot of content. But Yan, while not providing the same qualities, can still spam her LB, too. It just takes a bit more gear / setup to pull it off while her entire kit basically outclasses Rikku. Unless you really need that petrify cure from Rikku and can't equip Rikku's Pouch onto Yan...
    Yan wins.

Trust Master Reward:
    This is a great light shield, no doubts. Especially on Yan herself as it's granting her a massive 30% MP boost when equipped with her. Combined with really high SPR and status ailment protection, this might be a slot saver for a Ribbon and help you out at fights like Malboro / Echidna. We are going to get a insane light shield from the next scheduled trial, so maybe you want to pass, but generally this is a really strong light shield.

Conclusion:
    I must say, Yan is probably the best 4* unit we have gotten in a long time.
    Yan has many surprisingly strong aspects about her. Mainly her sheer versatility is astonoshing, she has so many different tools that every team can utilise. Damage mitigation, reraise + ele resistance, break resistance, side healing, imperils, aoe raise. It's just beautiful to see her being a valuable unit.
    Not even Yan's stats pull her off the stage, her survivability is pretty decent. With her maxed LB she can already reach 84% all element resistance. Previous limited gear also is great on her, for instance Kryla's , Pirate Jake's or even Illusionist Nichol's TMRs.
    Yan is a great unit and I think most of you should go and get her. You never know when such a versatile unit might come in handy.

Character Design: 9.5/10
    Sprite: 8.5/10
    Support: 9/10
    Trust Master Reward: 7.5/10
    Arena: 2/10
    Limit Burst: 9.5/10
    Future Proof: 7/10
    Free 2 Play: 9/10
    Pay 2 Play: 8.5/10
    Personal Rating: 9/10
    Optimal Rating: 9/10

[On-Banner Reviews]
    [​IMG] Chow (5*)
    [​IMG] Ang (5*)

Yan is definitely quite an eye sight, don't you think? For real, I should probably re-watch Mulan, it's a great movie. I'm sure I'll use Yan more in the future, let me know which experiences you've already made with her :).

Wanna support me?
    I put a lot of effort into it!
    Everything helps

My Patreon

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    LMoS, Redtide, Macska and 60 others like this.
  2. House of Anchors

House of Anchors Ascended Member Supporter

Yay, it's a character who wasn't built around being an annoying sidekick who does AoE Life 3! <3 Thanks for the review~

<edit>I gotta say I do not see the Mulan resemblance though, lol

Redtide, Fraggs and Memel0rd like this.
  3. nocturn

nocturn Ascended Member

Great review meme!!
    It's a shame i have to skip ( hording lapis 4 cg fina )
    In the meantime, looking forward to lunera's enhancements review!!!

Furuichi and Memel0rd like this.
  4. Milarion

Milarion Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    1.2k ATK DH Prompto or Firion
    Noooo, not another unit I really have to max! I'm struggling with Chow already, this is gonna take a while...

5. Cygnes

Cygnes Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD Tidus/e.Yun/Event
    I've been running Yan with e. Lunera and the healing is pretty impressive split between them. Throwing in a tank with Mechanical Heart and it should be possible to run without a dedicated healer. The fixed heal definitely shouldn't be underestimated.

First Ling and now Yan. The 4* CNY units never disappoint. Great summary Meme

Hillgigas209 and ejx220 like this.
  6. Jman1115

Jman1115 The bewbsologist VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    338 898 279
    Leads:
    A2
    @Memel0rd
    Instrumental Flair gives her 25% HP and lets her equip a harp

Donpru, KMad, sadaharu and 3 others like this.
  7. Trekiguy

Trekiguy Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fryevia, OK, T. Terra
    Maxed LB and Garnet TMR makes her immune to elemental Damage....... Golem and Moogle Plush shield could make for some fun lol

8. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Sieghard ✓ Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Limited ::up::

9. Synsilliusarian

Synsilliusarian Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh
    I pulled her on a ticket earlier today so I'm trying her out a bit right now. She's quite cool. I'm a huge Rikku fan and I've used her a lot (I love how helpful her elemental chains can be at times), but I think I might try Yan for a little while. I might switch out Tilith for another damage dealer or something and play around a bit.

There seems to be a lot of Yan vs. Rikku threads atm and they get very wild. Truth be told, I'll probably keep using both of them from time to time. Yan might be better, but I love Rikku so whatever.

P.S. Yan's "attack" animation is priceless! <3

ejx220 and Memel0rd like this.
  10. theJanne

theJanne GIF Maker VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Tidus / JP: CG Sieghart
    141/14
    Great review mate ::happy::
    Now I want her even more ::haha::

Memel0rd likes this.
  11. Raindah

Raindah Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    OK, eTT... ask for others
    Nice review as always!! Im thinking that with eramza+chow+yan you can recover alot of HP if needed... and maibe can freesup a slot for Ang as a finisher... just thinking of viability..

Memel0rd and Cygnes like this.
  12. Klaus

Klaus Polll0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Any top tier magical chainer. Really.
    I got her on the first ticket ::think::

I don't think I'll use her before leveling her LB first and I'm currently working on OK's so... benched.

Tell me the truth, aren't the support character reviews the smoothest to make? You just have to comment their abilities with no need of calculations while you drink your tea/coffee. ::rudecat9::

Memel0rd likes this.
  13. Ashlag

Ashlag Buy the Gil bundle. Do it. Now. Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Great shit, I swear
    Great review, great unit (that I still don't have, damn 3 pulls a day limit when I am dry on tickets and don't want to 10+1). Great, great, great, blablabla, generic stuff ::ink::

Memel0rd likes this.
  14. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Support characters are the easiest:
    Often very good moves
    Barely any comparisons because many are unique
    No calculations

15. Consarn

Consarn Chantin' VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Alice, Sakuya and Yukarin
    But should I finally watch it after, like, 15 years of not watching it?

Kenari likes this.
  16. Dotyekill

Dotyekill Ascended Member

As always wonderful review::happy::
    I was just thinking about putting her in a team with fully enhanced lunera and ang(when i get his tmr and maxed his lb)and see if it works fine

Alucardsoma likes this.
  17. Kiramon

Kiramon VIP VIP

Good review
    - none of that she’s great BUT REALLY SHE IS TERRIBLE stuff

18. Kenari

Kenari "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Mostly eFryevia
    Got her with the ticket i bought from 350 lapis bundle
    FeelsGood

19. Alucardsoma

Alucardsoma Ascended Member

Got her and Ang, and seeing she's a better Rikku I'll be trying to work a team with her in it.

20. Klaus

Klaus Polll0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Any top tier magical chainer. Really.
    Right? And is not like they fit a single role like, let's say, a provoke tank or a finisher, is their variety that makes them unique.