1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Unit Review: Zyrus (Final Fantasy Brave Exvius)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, May 13, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Dragonl0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager Arena Runner-Up VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Tidus | JP: Dark Veritas
    A young, silent black mage from a place widely unknown. He always has his sights set on dragons, and is especially equipped for taking them on. He's cold-blooded when it comes to fighting dragons, not taking mercy on them even if they are wounded or even young. He hates being thought of by humans, and is constantly trying to avoid getting involved with others. He has a particularly bad relationship with a certain dragoon, and there are even rumors that this dragoon seeks to end his life. Today, we talk about the black magician from yugi.... waaait a minute. Just kidding, we talk about the new global exclusive: Zyrus.

In-Game Sprites:
    [​IMG]4*
    [​IMG] 5*
    [​IMG] 6*

Equipment Selection: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    No innate weaknesses | No innate resistances
    Trust Master Reward: Draco Spike (Rod) - +30 Atk +101 Mag ; +75% magic damage against dragons

6* Stats at Lvl. 100:
    HP: 3366 (+390) Mag: 148 (+34)
    MP: 199 (+65) Def: 113 (+26)
    Atk: 106 (+26) Spr: 133 (+26)

4*: Lvl 6 Genius (lol) - Increase MP (20%) and MAG (10%)
    5*: Lvl 29 Dragon's Bane - Increase physical damage (25%) and magic damage (50%) against dragons
    5*: Lvl 40 Blood Rage - Increase LB gauge fill rate (100%) for 2 turns when HP drops below 33%
    6*: Lvl 1 Restless - Increase resistance to paralyze (100%) and silence (50%)
    6*: Lvl 77 Mystic Arcana - Increase MAG (20%) when equipped with a rod
    Increase MAG (30%) when equipped with a robe
    5*: Lvl 1 Dual Black Magic - Use black magic twice in one turn
    5*: Lvl 13 Blood Scar (0MP) - Fixed damage (999) to caster ; Recover MP (99) to caster
    5*: Lvl 80 Blood Curse (40 MP / 1-Hit) - Magic damage (2.5x) to one enemy ; Decrease MAG (50%) for 3 turns to one enemy
    6*: Lvl 50 Blood Rend (40 MP / 1-Hit) - Water magic damage (2.5x) to one enemy

If used after Flare:
    Water magic damage (5x) to one enemy
    6*: Lvl 100 Blood Pulsar (50 MP / 1-Hit) - Magic damage (3.5x) with consecutive damage increase (1x each, 4 times max) to one enemy
    4*: Lvl 10 Comet (15 MP / 1-Hit) - Magic damage (1.7x) with consecutive damage increase (0.1x each, 3 times max) to one enemy
    4*: Lvl 19 Osmose (10 MP / 1-Hit) - Magic damage (0.3x) with MP drain (30%) to one enemy
    4*: Lvl 60 Stonga (20 MP / 1-Hit) - Earth magic damage (1.8x) to all enemies
    5*: Lvl 37 Drain (5 MP / 1-Hit) - Magic damage (0.8x) with HP drain (30%) to one enemy
    5*: Lvl 66 Graviga (20 MP / 1-Hit) - HP damage (75%) to all enemies
    6*: Lvl 24 Waterga (20 MP / 1-Hit) - Water magic damage (1.8x) to all enemies
    6*: Lvl 44 Flare (35 MP / 1-Hit) - Fire magic damage (2.3x) to one enemy ; Decrease water resistance (30%) for 3 turns to one enemy

6* Limit Burst:
    Blood Hydra (Base): 1-Hit Magic damage (5x) to one enemy
    Increase MAG (80%) for 3 turns to caster
    Enables access to following abilities for 2 turns:
    Blood Frenzy - Use blood skills (blood scar, blood curse, blood rend, blood pulsar) twice in one turn

Blood Hydra (Max): Magic damage (7.4x) to one enemy
    Increase MAG (104%) for 3 turns to caster
    Enables access to following abilities for 2 turns:
    Blood Frenzy - Use blood skills (blood scar, blood curse, blood rend, blood pulsar) twice in one turn

Pros:
    His MAG Base isn't insanely high, but he does get + 60% MAG in total, which is really good for the current meta. He also gets +20% MP (which he'll definitely need) and along with that a paralyze 100% resistance. The silence 50% resistance is not too useful, but still nice to have. Nothing to complain here. Zyrus also has a nice HP base for a mage, his MP is good, too.

Something outstanding when looking at Zyrus, he has a innate magic Dragon Killer. This is awesome, especially when paired up with his TMR (which can be obtained for free currently as long as you pulled Zyrus). He has a huge niche against dragons through that.

Zyrus also has a huge MAG break with "Blood curse", which is currently the highest MAG Break as an ability. This is awesome to help your team survive even longer, especially since many new Trials and so on can't be def breaked or mainly use magic attacks (e.g. Bahamut, Gilgamesh, Dark Espers, ...). Really good to have.

Zyrus also can dual cast black magic, but this is only useful if you either want to use Graviga on your team or fight an enemy with a water weakness. The combo would look like this:
    DC Flare + Waterga -> Blood Rend. But that's not his overall main damage, since you'll be using Blood Pulsar most of the times, especially after your LB, which makes you able to use Blood Curse, Blood Rend or Blood Pulsar twice in a single turn. So basically dual casting abilities.

His LB overall is really good, it increases his MAG (at max) by 104%! That, ladies and gents, is currently a huge self buff not seen before in GL. It also has a 7.4x Mod and like I already said, grants you access to dual cast your 3 main abilities. The LB also gets supported by Blood rage, tho it's rather niche since the blood rage buff only stays for 2 turns. And it's only 100% LB Fillrate, still, can't complain since it is there for free.

Cons:
    Zyrus is pretty MP heavy. He has no innate MP-Refresh, "only" a +20% MP passive, which won't be enough in longer fights, unless you have some sort of MP Batteries in your team. If you really want to refresh his MP, you either need to use "Blood Scar" or DC Osmose (which will probably be better). So TMR's like acceptance from Ace might help you out big time with this.

Zyrus also lacks a good elemental coverage, but this is only a rather small con. One of the biggest cons is his modifiers. Yes, blood rend can deal huge damage, but blood pulsar seems to be on the more weak-ish side. Blood pulsar gets more powerful the more you use it consecutively. But it's only a 1x increase for each use with a rather quickly reached cap. I'll talk about this in the unit comparisons a bit more.

Something many mages share, he doesn't get any HP boosts, target chance decreases or great status ailment protection. Same goes for Zyrus, his only real status ailment protection is against paralyze. So he will still be vulnerable against confusion, petrification and sleep, which is crucial.

His LB isn't reliable either. The problem with his LB is, that it needs 30 (!) LB crysts to fill up and besides having his... very very niche +100% LB fill up (which is not applied permanently or at the beginning of the fight) he can't get it up that fast.

Arena:
    Unless you want to DC Stonga / Waterga, he has nothing outstanding in terms of the Arena. All his abilities are ST damage, that's a thing. Also he has no real good status ailment protection nor really good supportive moves to make him a valuable unit.

Comparison: Emperor
    [​IMG]

- Emperor has better elemental coverage, but in terms of water magic damage Zyrus will outdamage anybody right now
    - Emperor has a 10% MP-Refresh, Zyrus has none
    - Zyrus is way MP heavier
    - Emperor's Fire from below scales way better than Blood Pulsar and costs less MP
    - Emperor's Fire from below is fire elemental, making it technically niche
    - Both have pretty good LB's (Emperor's is more supportive)
    - Both have breaks, but MAG breaks are more valuable than SPR breaks
    - Emperor has innate 75% camouflage and will get an HP boost in the future
    - Zyrus has way higher MAG passives

Overall, I'd give this one to Emperor if the enemy doesn't either have: A water weakness or a fire resistance. His "Fire from below" just scales up like crazy while not wasting any MP.
    In terms of non-elemental damage, Zyrus will win. + Zyrus has the overall niche advantage against dragon type enemies. Emperor's TMR is more valuable tho (it's insane with the GL buff).

Comparison: Exdeath
    [​IMG]

- Zyrus has way higher MAG passives
    - Zyrus has NO innate weaknesses, Exdeath has
    - Exdeath is way more MP heavy than Zyrus and also has no MP-Refresh
    - Exdeath's main damage will drain his MP REALLY fast
    - Zyrus' LB is way better
    - Both have no defensive passives, tho Exdeath has a really crappy HP base
    - Exdeath can't equip Robes, but can equip Swords (important for TMR's)
    - Zyrus has a little supportive aspect and a huge self buff
    - Zyrus' TMR is really good, Exdeath's is... shit

Zyrus wins this one. Exdeath just gets kinda old. Exdeath's main damage drains 100 MP per turn. This is huge for longer fights. Zyrus in this one is way more MP efficient. Zyrus also can support your team with a huge MAG break and has a little status ailment protection.
    So if you grab Zyrus, I'd bench Exdeath.

Comparison: D.Fina (enhanced)
    [​IMG]

- Zyrus has higher MAG passives
    - D.Fina has good status ailment protection
    - D.Fina has way more DMG to offer
    - D.Fina has innate MP-Refresh
    - D.Fina has way better elemental coverage
    - D.Fina has a stronger consecutive damage, but it's elemental restricted
    - Both have supportive aspects + D.Fina can inflict random status ailments
    - D.Fina can get some free damage with her counter

D.Fina currently wins this one. As long as Zyrus has not received any enhancements, this won't be changed. She just has way more dmg, is MP heavy too, but has better options to refresh it. Her enhancements also made her more MP sufficient + her Dystopia can be really strong.
    But if Zyrus is put up against dragons, he most likely will win. A +50% dmg increase is always really strong.

Comparison: T.Terra
    [​IMG]

- Both have the same MAG passives, but T.Terra has slightly higher MAG base
    - T.Terra can abuse Letters and Arms
    - Both can support your team, T.Terra through a Full-Raise and AoE Fire, Lightning and Ice resistance buff
    - T.Terra is way more MP sufficient, has a innate MP-Refresh and also higher MP stats
    - T.Terra has a 50% SPR boost + an innate 30% dodge chance -> more survivability
    - T.Terra can chain, Zyrus cannot

Overall, I'd give this one to T.Terra. But again, just like the other ones, Zyrus will deal more damage against dragons.

Trust Master Reward:
    This TMR is amazing against dragons, a way better omnirod too and it's "basically" a free tmr. So please, save your moogles up for this one (the raid moogles).

My Conclusion:
    Though Zyrus lost basically 75% of the comparisons, that doesn't make him a bad unit at all. His main advantage against all those 5* Mages is, that he is a 4* base. Making him way easier to obtain for the majority of players, who don't whale.
    He also has a niche against those 5* Mages against dragons, making him a bit more valuable. Also his MAG break is insane, so there's that.
    I'd try to summon him with tix and dailies, maybe even one 10+1 pull.

Character Design: 8.5/10
    Sprite: 9/10 (dark magician tho)
    Chainer: 1/10
    Finisher: 7.5/10
    Personal Rating: 8/10
    Optimal Rating: 9/10 (against dragons)

Zyrus is interesting. I hope this review maybe changed your point of view or convinced you, that he is not bad.

Have a nice day!

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    JMR, PlanteraBlade, tar1get and 19 others like this.
  2. Vayhn

Vayhn "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Thanks for the review, I guess that as ExDeath is my only viable caster I'll build up Zyrus as soon as possible as someone kindly advised my yesterday.

Memel0rd likes this.
  3. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Dragonl0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager Arena Runner-Up VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    "Additional effect: Auto-Regen"

lol?

4. Carnefix

Carnefix Crimsonl0rd Staff Member Moderator German Moderator Arena Runner-Up VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    416 022 660
    Leads:
    Yun, Nyx, Fry, OK, DV, Aileen, Tidus
    Thx for the great review.

@Thaddeus Did you delete your post? ::happy::

Memel0rd likes this.
  5. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Ephemeral God VIP

Japan ID:
    386, 889, 987
    Leads:
    Eileen
    You're getting better at this. Almost as good as I.

Joker, Amiricle, PlainSite and 8 others like this.
  6. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Yes, he deleted it :D. And thanks, as always!

Thank you very much!

Joker and Exeon like this.
  7. Flow

Flow Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great work, and yes I agree with your comparison. I do expect him to be not as good as the 5* mages but better than the 3* Exdeath.

However, I wouldn't bench Exdeath completely. He still has a place in arena. Dual cast meteor + +30% against humans can easily achieve 999 x 2. One weakness of Zyrus is that he lacks powerful AoE - only Stonga and Waterga, which may not be able to achieve 999 x 2 consistently.

Goddess Nyx and Memel0rd like this.
  8. Tedeza

Tedeza "Hall of Fame" Member

Leads:
    Orlandeau
    F2P
    Nice review, but...

It would be better if you took Exdeath's Transcender passive into account, 30% more damage against humans, birds, plants, beasts, and bugs surely can't be underestimated, especially when that passive could be enhanced in the future.

...also the fact that Exdeath could wear heavy armor and shield means he has an easier time to have access to elemental resist equipments (Dragon Shield, Flame Mail, Force Armor etc) and has more DEF.

I have both...and I still can't really say that Zyrus is definitely better than Exdeath.

Scar and ejx220 like this.
  9. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I think you don't get the point. Exdeath DOES outdamage him, but he can only dish out very limited meteors since DC meteor costs 100 MP per turn -> with no mp refresh and no insanely high amount of MP he won't be good to use. Mages tend to take longer for bosses, that's a huge con in my opinion.
    Yes, Exdeath has access to these type of armors, but keep in mind:
    Many bosses will hit for your spirit most of the times / pretty often and they don't grant any real magic or so. + exdeath has super low HP, unless you have K.Delita's tmr (which isn't obtainable rn) I don't see a huge pro in equipping these to him. Chances are he just dies just like equipping no armor at all. BUT I do give you that, he can equip various elemental resistant armors. Also but, you won't equip a shield (since you probably want either dual rods or 1 rod and fryevias needle with letters and arms) AND rainbow robe (compared to the mages) increases def/spr/mag +45 (total of 135) and all elemental resistances except dark by 30% too (making it a total of +210% ele resistances overall), while sth like Force armor grants you +53 def / +12(or 13) spr and a total of 30% elemental resistances. So I don't see a real pro, rather a con.

And enhanced Exdeath doesn't get any better in terms of MP efficiency, so there's that.

Exeon likes this.
  10. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I never stated that Exdeath deals less damage or is less useful in Arena. I even stated that his (Zyrus') arena potential is not good. ^^

Exeon likes this.
  11. Flow

Flow Well-Known Member

Sure ^^ perhaps "So if you grab Zyrus, I'd bench Exdeath" reads a bit too strong to me. But yup I agree with you!

Memel0rd likes this.
  12. Exeon

Exeon Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive, Orlandeau or Event Unit
    You only convinced me to pull even harder for him. xD
    But as others already stated: Great Review! With every review you're getting better and better, so keep it up!

And now excuse me, I need to sell my soul to the RNG satan, 'cause I need me some Zyrus!

Memel0rd and ejx220 like this.
  13. Mahiru

Mahiru Well-Known Member

Dont know if to laugh or cry with this one i really need him for his tm for my dark fina since im a f2b this is important since i only have dark fina and orlaundus .so my save 24+1 4 star ticket goes all in to it first ticket rainbow so i thought cool and pop aileen come out not reberta so after many manu more ticket still no cyrus so i was prepare to dump all my ticket and pop another rainbow so i thought cool again(no longer care since starting jp account) and pop ace come out so i was really gana die hard on this and the last ticket BlueCrystalGoldCrystalRainbowCrystal andddd reberta come out all while trying to get cyrus i feel::rudecat4:: while ::rudecat1::at the same time

Lycovus, SvAsp and Memel0rd like this.
  14. Mahiru

Mahiru Well-Known Member

Should i spend 11 pull to get him i save about 15k for when onion knight come out. And sugguestion?should i do 11 pull to get him for his tm?but since i have lot of physical attacker maybe i should stop using dark fina.

Uroboros and Memel0rd like this.
  15. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    You got 3 rainbows man, don't complain. @Jose convince this guy that Ace is bae

Exeon likes this.
  16. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    If you really desire his tmr, go for it.
    But keep in mind, only pull with knowing you might not get him

Exeon likes this.
  17. Jose

Jose Purple lord VIP Supporter

Leads:
    GL: MAH BOI CECIL JP: Bronion Knight
    meme asked me to do this, but i'm lazy, and i'll just tell you to read from page 2 and onwards regarding Ace

http://brave-exvius.com/threads/joses-unit-rankings.11983/page-2

the thread needs to be updated, i know, but that will come in due time. But, there's still viable reasoning for Ace's position to be where he is currently.

Exeon likes this.
  18. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    You lazy, self-advertisizing fuck :^)

Redtide and Exeon like this.
  19. Mahiru

Mahiru Well-Known Member

Honestly it cuz of the banner unit mix with old one if i pull and still didnt get him im gana be stuck with more kain and firion and maybe more seven ::sarcasm::since she seem to love me very much she crushing all my gold crystal lol

20. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Like I said, only pull if you know you might end up with nothing but shit