1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Valkyrie Profile Banner Review by Memel0rd

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Unil0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Kurasame | JP: Akstar
    When I said that the Halloween banner review will be the only one receiving this treatment I kind of forgot about the VP banner.
    In the future there will also be one of these for the old christmas units most likely as well as the old chinese new year. At least I predict it to be implemented in a similar way.
    For now I want to apologise for most reviews being postponed to the weekend.

Hopefully I can write in-depth reviews next week again, I'm not the biggest fan of banner reviews but 3 in-depth reviews are too much for me.

Valkyrie Profile Banner Review by Memel0rd

[​IMG]

Lenneth:
    [​IMG]7*

TMR: Glance Reviver (Sword) - 135 ATK, Dark element
    STMR: Soothsawer Bow (Bow) - 160 ATK, 30 SPR, 2-Handed, AVG x1.5 damage variance

Overview:
    Lenneth is a weird unit.

Her basestats are well rounded as a damage dealer with good HP/DEF/SPR and high ATK. You can focus on either swords or bows with her passive wise, though in most cases it's better to focus on bows due to their high damage variance. With a bow Lenneth has innate 110% ATK and 150% TDH, which is A LOT of innate boosts and you will be able to reach quite high ATK for a bow build. The best free bow you can get is Killer Bow+ with innate dark element and 3 killers.

What distinguishes Lenneth from the other VP units are we T-abilities. All VP units have the gimmick of having combo triple cast, this means you can cast their abilities thrice but not the same twice. This means you can only use three different abilities, not the same thrice. Lenneth has two of them and I'd recommend you figuring out which ones these are. There are two rotations on her ( mostly taken from : https://redd.it/7suiw1 )

For her Blade rotation:
    Glowing Pierce -> Code Break -> Vertical Raid

For her Bow rotation:
    Ethereal Shot -> Infinity Blast -> Tri Blast

Her blade rotation only has damage dealing abilities. Glowing Pierce in particular is a Piledriver +2 frame chain, which can make it very unreliable against certain enemies and I'm not quite sure how high I'd rank her because of that. Code Break is a self finisher and the other ones are just some random moves that don't break the chain and deal the highest amount of damage.
    Her bow rotation has an light imbue at the start of the chain and generally is weaker than the blade one. However in case you want light damage this is the way to go.
    She can also use her CD move in both rotations at turn 5, which is a 20 hit AoE 1000% modifier with a 3 turn 100% dark / light imperil.

What does make her bow rotation slightly more interesting: Lenneth can break ATK/DEF or MAG/SPR by 50% each. If you don't bring a breaker you can use that. Keep in mind that the breaks can't be combined at the same turn as one of them is in the blade combo and the other in the bow combo.

Lenneth with her T-Combo-Cast suffers from not having any chain partner. You can run her with a Piledriver +2 unit however only casting her piledriver move results in a massive damage drop. If you are using her T-Cast be aware that it can drain your MP quickly.
    EDIT: You can use X -> PD move -> Code Break. Just time it correctly. Your other PD unit has to go first and will lose a hit of chaining, but that way you can self cap Code Break for higher damage.

The best way to use Lenneth currently is with Killer Bow+ , which is another downside because it's a dark elemental bow which is one of the more common elemental resistances.

How does she fare in the meta?
    Lenneth
    with her full potential, a perfectly executed chain + Lenneth dupe both with Killer Bow+ can reach incredible levels of damage output capable of being the strongest so far.

With her blade rotation above she has high Turn 1 damage as well as continuously high average damage. Her burst potential comes from her CD ability which adds a lot of power on a single turn as well as increased damage output on the following turns due to the 100% imperil.

As stated earlier, being locked to Killer Bow+ as a damage dealer can be troublesome but it can also be a blessing. Against enemies that aren't resisting dark element you can dish out massive Turn 1 damage due to DKC's 100% dark imperil or Dark Fina's 120% dark imperil. Killer Bow+ also has 3 somewhat common killers.

Personally I'm not sold on Piledriver +2 frames though. I used Aileen a lot and some enemies were really hard to chain Piledriver +2 on. Against centered enemies such as the dummy it isn't exactly an issue, but for enemies that are closer to a corner or not centered you might have difficulties chaining and there is no macro that will really help you.

Lenneth can outdamage everyone by quite a lot but the possibility of being unreliable to chain as well as being dark locked and having no chaining partners without crippling her own damage output can make her a pain to use and even though it's a super interesting concept that doesn't mean it's very efficient. Using a light sword or any other element on her with external imperils would mean you'll use an elemental sword which would drop your damage output by a ton due to the missing ~x1.5 damage variance.

Character Design: 8.5/10
    Sprite: 9/10
    Chainer: 8.5~9/10
    Trust Master Reward: 6/10
    STMR: 9/10
    Arena: 7/10
    Limit Burst: 6.5/10 (can't chain)
    Future Proof: 5.5/10
    Free 2 Play: 7/10
    Pay 2 Play: 9/10
    Personal Rating: 7/10
    Optimal Rating: 9.5/10

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Freya:
    [​IMG]7*

TMR: Ether Laser (Accessory) - 55 MAG, 20% MP
    STMR: Empress Garland (Hat) - 40 DEF, 50 MAG/SPR, 30% HP, Silence/Petrify resistance

Overview:
    Freya, just like Lenneth, has an interesting gimmick.

Her base MAG is HUGE. 315 base MAG is out of this world and with her own TMR, which is a 55 MAG accessory, she has a total of 210% MAG! This is beyond crazy, why would they ever release a mage like that?
    Well, relax. Freya has huge base MAG and a lot of MAG passives due to not being able to equip rods. With the equip rod materia she still reaches really high MAG, but the loss of passives and not having any MAG TDW / TDH also decreases the potential a bit.

Due to being a VP unit, Freya has the T-Combo-cast, which means she can use three of (most) her abilities but not the same thrice, which limits her potential.
    Freya's abilities focus on chaining with really weird frames that aren't really shared by anyone. She has pretty low mods on most of her abilities varying from 200% up to a total of 600% (backloaded), though it's important to mention that she can't use the same ability thrice. Which means you will have to use even the weaker ones which makes her damage output as a chainer so much worse.

Her CD ability is a 1200% chain with 14 hits and available on Turn 4, which helps her out a lot but I would have prefered if they reduced it to 3 turns or maybe even 2 and made it available on Turn 1. She can include her CD ability in her T-Cast.

Freya can also counter with a 20% chance to break the enemy's SPR by 60%, increase her own LB gauge by 5 and grant her a 100% MAG stack buff. This is basically designed for one thing only: Her LB.

Instead of focusing more on being a chainer, her LB is a finisher. A non elemental 3000% finisher to be exact. With her innate passives she gets another 50% boost to it making it go up to a total of 4500%. Not having an element on it does hurt, but if you do get the 100% MAG stack buff before using it, the damage potential is really high. Though finishers mostly want to utilise weaknesses and imperils, not being able to do that is meh. And her LB costs a lot.

How does she fare in the meta?
    Freya
    is more of a "fun" unit than anything.

Her chaining capabilities aren't really compatible with other units meaning, just like Lenneth, most of her damage output can only be achieved through using a dupe and even then it's quite weird with either mixed up elements or completely non-elemental damage. It also isn't exactly high for a magic chainer in comparison to our current roster of Trance Terra, GL Sakura and Barbariccia.

As a finisher she is more of a fun unit because she is locked behind a 40 cryst LB. It has a high innate mod of 4500% and especially after her counter can deal a lot of damage, but it still doesn't hit the same level of power after e.g. Emperor's fully stacked Fire From Below with a good imperil.

Freya has a great TMR and STMR, but she isn't that present in the meta.

Character Design: 7/10
    Sprite: 8/10
    Chainer: 6~6.5/10
    Finisher: 8/10
    Trust Master Reward: 9/10
    STMR: 9.5/10
    Arena: 8.5/10
    Limit Burst: 8.5/10
    Future Proof: 6/10
    Pay 2 Play: 7.5/10
    Personal Rating: 6.5/10
    Optimal Rating: 8/10

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Arngrim:
    [​IMG]7*

TMR: Star Guard (Accessory) - 40 ATK, 30% Light resistance
    Increase physical evasion (10%)
    Chance to counter physical attacks (40%) with Star Guard (max 1/turn)
    STMR: Bahamut Tear (Large Sword) - 165 ATK, Thunder Element, 2-Handed, AVG x1.3 Damage Variance, +30% LB damage

Overview:
    Arngrim
    ... why aren't you as awesome as your sprite.

Arngrim has very high base ATK with a lot of bulk. With 80% ATK, 90% HP and 50% DEF as well as a total of 150% TDH with his own TMR Arngrim can reach both high ATK while keeping up high HP. To give you an idea, his TMR BiS has roughly ~12k HP with ~600 DEF while still having 2000+ ATK.

Third's time the charm: Arngrim has a T-Combo-cast which means he can use most of his abilities three times in a turn but not the same one. This means that his power is limited through an interesting gimmick.

Arngrim focuses on finishers with his main kit and he is a very self-sufficient finisher. One of his abilities has a 800% mod with a 1 turn 50% DEF break, the other one is a mini finisher with a self fire imbue + 50% fire imperil. He can also buff up his own ATK by 200% for even higher burst and has a 1000% finisher against dragons.
    With his CD ability, a 1200% finisher, his burst can be really high. For that your rotation will look like this:

Turn 1: Rage
    Turn 2: Blaze Blade -> Storm Edge -> High Wind
    Turn 3: Dead End -> Storm Edge -> High Wind

Turn 3 will be your highest burst damage turn and if you don't want to focus on burst you can keep using the Turn 2 rotation while constantly keeping up a 50% DEF break as well as a 50% fire imperil.

He can also chain with his LB, though its damage output isn't the highest for how many turns you might have to wait for it. Though it does increase your team's LB gauge by 3~5 and depending on your team you should be able to fit it into your own chains for possibly even more high finishers.

How does he fare in the meta?
    Arngrim is a solid finisher. His burst isn't on the same level as VotF, Adam Jensen or Shadow Lord, but he has constant damage output every turn as well as having very self sufficient setups and still a strong burst turn. The T-Combo-cast might make it hard to chain cap though if you have short chains.

He's a decent unit, though you already know why people want Arngrim. His STMR is currently a gamechanger for the meta chainer Hyoh, who will gain a buttload of extra power from Bahamut Tear. Only using a friend Hyoh will increase your damage by a lot. That one whale friend with Squall STMR and Bahamut Tear? Yeah, you WANT to use him. Over Tonitrus it has 45 more ATK (effectively 140) as well as the damage variance coming from 2h weapons AND 30% LB damage.

What I want to tell you however before Arngrim's step up releases: If you are not a whale, do not try for Bahamut Tear. So far the only units in JP who use it effectively are Hyoh (who isn't meta anymore for a longer time), A2 (who is different in GL), Zack and Squall to some extend. Though Squall can self-imbue with enhancements. Ofc we do not know about potential units but looking at the JP schedule after Hyoh you likely won't use it on anybody else.
    With the changes to this banner I want you to be really sure about that decision. A whale Hyoh friend should easily be enough anyway.

Character Design: 7/10
    Sprite: 9.5/10
    Finisher: 8.5/10
    Trust Master Reward: 7.5/10
    STMR: 9.5/10
    Arena: 4/10
    Limit Burst: 7.5/10
    Future Proof: 6/10
    Pay 2 Play: 8/10
    Personal Rating: 8/10
    Optimal Rating: 7.5/10

Conclusion:
    The VP banner isn't the best.

It was clear to most that they'd mostly pull out of nostalgia. The VP units are very unique and you won't see units with a similar design for a longer time now. Lenneth particularly has some interesting rotations as well as some utility.
    Metawise I'd say Lenneth is the best out of them all easily simply due to her super high damage potential, though even then she is gimmicky and can be unreliable depending on the enemy's position which imo for a generic ranking can be quite a problem. Being mostly locked to dark or having to equip weaker weapons for other elements will also hurt Lenneth.
    Freya's chaining capabilities aren't exactly good and her finisher is locked behind the LB, making her another rather gimmicky unit. Her TMR and STMR are both great though and she can reach huge MAG easily, which might make her interesting for the parameter missions if we ever get them.
    Arngrim is a serviceable finisher with a self-sufficient kit but doesn't outstand as a finisher. His damage output is decent enough and mostly you will want him for his STMR to make your Hyoh an absolute powerhouse.

What hurts this banner a lot in many people's eye is the change they made. From a limited pool that only included Lenneth, Arngrim and Freya to a generic pool where you can pull your offbanner Delitas is a massive hit and even a friend of mine who was looking forward to the VP banner ever since it got announced in JP hold himself back on pulling because of that. It's such an unnecessary change as the banner wasn't that amazing to begin with. One out of three units is top meta but even then gimmicky to use, so... why?
    Personally I'm not happy with the change at all even though I didn't plan to pull. It ruined the nostalgia for many people and I hope to see changes to that on future banners such as christmas.
    That's all I want to say regarding this as I don't want to be part of the gungnir wave, but I'd figure that some may be interested on my stance.

I'd only pull if you like VP, otherwise there's not much reason to do so. Or if you are a whale and go for the STMRs.

[​IMG]
    ^ ultimate gungnir

Memel0rd out

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. Sexwulf

Sexwulf "Hall of Fame" Member

Solid review for a weak banner.

Good work

3. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Unil0rd Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Solid reply for a weak comment.

Thank you.

(meant as a joke)

Redtide, Shr, Galuf the Dwarf and 7 others like this.
  4. Nina

Nina Eyes on Me Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter Account Trade Moderator

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    CG Nina
    Thanks Meme. Freya can currently reach 3k Magic in jp making her massive on finish. Sad her LB takes that much crystals to fill. She is still on my Arena team for triple cast AoE spells. I would rate her 9,5 in Arena on weeks where her AoE spells aren't banned.

5. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I think you're overestimating the LB, pretty sure Elly as a finisher should still be better.

6. Nina

Nina Eyes on Me Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter Account Trade Moderator

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    CG Nina
    If we will ever get Elly, for sure ::rudecat11::

Sexwulf likes this.
  7. Road Ants

Road Ants Well-Known Member

I appreciate the review. And I like knowing to not bother pulling.

Memel0rd likes this.
  8. fayleen99

fayleen99 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Mostly Hyoh and 5 star event units
    Great review as always meme :D
    Still have time to read it, even though I'm not interested at this banner ::rudecat10::

Memel0rd likes this.
  9. TuanMuda

TuanMuda Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    DFina/Tidus/DL
    As VP lover I have one mission and one mission only: Pull Lenneth.

I know she isnt the best and lack of chaining partner can cripple her usefulness, but then again love is blind, and I managed to snag 2 Lenneth on the step-up.

Anyway, good review @Memel0rd keep up the good work! :)

10. zdemigod

zdemigod Ascended Member

Global ID:
    526 635 038
    Leads:
    Hyoh fire 1.5k
    The fastest skip in the west for me, i liked VP but no amount of love for the game will make my wallet loose.

Scheich likes this.
  11. Celtacross

Celtacross Well-Known Member

Thank you for the review, Memelord. Indeed this banner is just for those who like VP, and for collections only if you're wanted to. I were lucky enough to get both Lenneth and Frieya once each, so I'm pulling out of this banner until future improvements, of updates, though I highly doubt it.

12. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Ascended Member

Thx Meme for the review. Will pass this banner.

13. Wynstro

Wynstro Active Member

Leads:
    Lilith, GLS, Hyoh, Barbygrrl
    Thanks Meme, I was super excited for my Freya (VP; not the troll daily I got from FFIX today).

Sadly that gimmick ruins any potential she had for me .T-casting that backloaded chainer would have been massive and may have made it worth lvling a LTO unit, but she's just TMR raid fodder now.

14. Ranakel

Ranakel Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Given the limited nature of the units, how good/bad are they at 6* ?

15. Mike Cline

Mike Cline Well-Known Member

Good review for a lousy banner. Won't be wasting my time, money, or tickets on this one. Especially since I got a Lenneth with daily half price pull.
    Keep up the great work reviewing the units for us, even on shitty banners. You help us a lot by doing what you do & breaking it down with a few laughs here & there.
    Thanks for taking the time to keep us in the loop!

16. Synsilliusarian

Synsilliusarian Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh
    I joined JP shortly before VP came there and before I even knew what was going on I got 2 Lenneth from a step up (and an Arngrim). I loved how cool Lenneth was, but now I realise that in GL I actually have better and more useful units already :-\
    It saddens me, but also makes me happy because now I don't have to spend the rest of what I have to try and get some of them.

17. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    I hope you aren't a VP fan at least. That makes thing a lot easier.

Bad lol. If Arngrim and Freya aren't even that great at 7*.

18. Hillgigas209

Hillgigas209 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Bonus unit CG Lid/Reagan, Noctis
    Bro , how did you know about the rainbow Troll Delitas?
    That literally happened to me on the half pull yesterday, lol .
    I actually am happy about it,
    (cause why not?)
    bu if i expected a banner 5*
    I would have been slammed ...lol
    I am not really overly thrilled with this banner but, hey I rarely pull as it is so theres no hurry on my part to do so.
    I enjoy collecting limited units but it's not gonna make me spend my few lapis and Tix remaining.

I always have enjoyed insight from the many people of our forum, and look forward to your posts !!
    Thanks to you and, thanks to all!

Road Ants and Memel0rd like this.
  19. Synsilliusarian

Synsilliusarian Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh
    Luckily no. I've always known of it, but never actually played it until very recently when I tried it out (after I used Lenneth in JP). It seemed very interesting, but I just lack necessary time to dedicate to it for the time being. I do hope to get back to it someday for sure!

20. Krota

Krota Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yun, Ang, Fry, Chow, Christine, GLS
    Somehow just managed to pull Arngrim.... Think I'm going to give his TMR to Zargabagod.