1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Weeding out 'pest' units

Discussion in 'Unit Discussion' started by Seymour, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Seymour

Seymour Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Sieghart Aileen TT Ayaka
    Since the FFBE's start the meta and gameplay balance have been changed a few times. That means that units who once were top dogs, are old geezers at best today. Sifting through the forum as an anonymous guest hasn't given me the answers so I turn to you, FFBE community to lend a hand. I feel I have too many useless units and I want to cut the numbers.

I categorised the units given below to 'TMR', 'trash' and 'no idea' groups, based on shreds of info or just common sense. What I'd like to ask of you is to tell me frankly whether a unit is total trash or, if its TMR has some redeeming value. Or perhaps someone will correct my error of judgement, due to lack of right information, that I may have condemned a unit to oblivion prematurely. I tried to do some research on my own using this site and Online Fanatic, but differing input has often left me disorientated.

TMR-material proposals:
    Vanille, Cloud of Darkness, Steiner, Camille, Scarmiglione, Orran, Refia, Luka, Aria, Arc, Amarant, Nine, Black Waltz no. 3, Shine, Erwin, Crowe, Celes, Galuf, Werei, Meliadioul, Guromu, Shantotto, Roselia, Ovelia, Abel, Timothy, Libertus, Locke, Leo, Lenna, Faris, Mustadio, Shera, Hayate, Eight, Bran, Goken, Yuri, Otogiri, Garland, Tellah, Mercedes, Elle, Orochi, Sara, Trey, Ulrica, Silvia, Aiden, Jack, Sazh

Trash:
    Kamui, Freya, Adam, Seymour, Exdeath, Divine Soleil, Edward, Helena, Lucille, Ashteroze, Merald, Mim

No idea (your ideas greatly welcomed):
    Lawrence, Heltich, Rosa (after her upgrade), Conrad, Sice, Ohga, Ruggles, Riley, Kilian, Olif, Charie, Leon, Jean, Duke, Verun, Cedona, Lexa, Ryunan, Kaede.

Sometimes Online Fanatic publishes reviews that make shitty units look decent, while brave-exvius.com has only select reviews, which makes it at times difficult to make any unit assessment. So what do you think I should do with the units given above? Any input is greatly appreciated and I thnak you in advance for any constructive criticism.

2. Arekusu

Arekusu "Hall of Fame" Member

Few of your trash units have elemental weapons. Fire katana, lightning axe, lightning gun in there. While definitely not the best, ele weapons always have at least a niche use.

3. Tanatos

Tanatos Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    838 612 439
    Leads:
    Jecht,Hyoh,TT, Beryl
    For me is:
    If:
    3* good tmr or
    4* good tmr or have a chaining bro or
    5*
    Then Keep;

Else:
    Then Sell
    End.

4. Ferax

Ferax Be excellent to each other & party on dudes! Arena Runner Up S3 VIP Supporter

I know it’s way down the line and may never come to global, but JP can sell units with 100% Trust on them for “Trust Coins” that buy really awesome stuff in the “Mixer”. This actually makes even Bedile, Rakshasa and Clyne worth saving, since you always pull the most of these troll 3 star units and eventually you get all their crappy TM’s. I no longer sell garbage 3 star units, though it’s a real hassle on unit space.

Tamamo05, GrimmXv9 and YannC like this.
  5. YannC

YannC v00d00 VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Something weird
    Kamui is trash? No the list is

Manveru, Mirakk and Ferax like this.
  6. Caliber

Caliber VIP VIP

I’d add zaargabath to trash

7. Ferax

Ferax Be excellent to each other & party on dudes! Arena Runner Up S3 VIP Supporter

Yeah man, Kamui is the sh*t, no doubt. I’ve got 25% ATK and some HP on my Hoemaru from item world. I farmed up the Fire greatsword from romance novel dude and now my Raegan is going to go beast mode with my 7 star DV, when they release him. 100% fire imperil on some IOS friendly DR chains? Yes please!

8. YannC

YannC v00d00 VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Something weird
    Elemental TMR weapons are all pretty future proof

Ferax likes this.
  9. Seymour

Seymour Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Sieghart Aileen TT Ayaka
    As stated above: I tried to do some info research but in some cases my findings came inconclusive. That's why I made assumptions I wanted to put to test of knowledge of more experienced FFBE gamers. If my ignorance offends you then I suggest you avoid the topic.

Tamamo05, Doomsday and Master Red like this.
  10. Novaultima

Novaultima VIP VIP

Global ID:
    441 833 663
    Leads:
    Mustachonator
    Rosa is awesome if you don´t have to rely on rerise. Bless +2, equip dual cast and use solid heal + remove any breaks on demand. Besides this she has every healer tool except rerise. You will never run out of MP with her max spr builded and you can use Cradle of Horns with her(i just use it once to make setting up the tanking easier.)

Her LB is great for aoe mp leech turns.

Tamamo05 likes this.
  11. Masvroh

Masvroh "an elder brother" VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra, A2, Hyoh, Lilith
    Bold = very good
    Underline = just good
    Divine Soleil can be a good support if used right. Though, her only flaw is she has 2 rotation move despite having a lot of support kits, which limits her to support your team.

Kamui is TMR fodder.

Enhanced Rosa would be your best healer if you don't have any healer with reraise on demand. Her Bless +2 which makes her very good as it can regen HP and MP at the same time for 3 turns and depending on her SPR stats the regen can be very high.

Conrad, Leon, Ryunan, and Duke are TMR fodders.

Verun can be a very good buffer if you max his LB and can reliably use it every 3 turns. And can be a good support by imbue your unit with a killer effect and some imperils to an enemy. Though, maxing his LB means you need to use your precious LB pots which can be used to others who have better LB. You may just wait for other units who can do better at it. Still, if you really want to use him as a buffer, train his LB with Ifrit (LB Grinding, scroll down to Ifrit Farming). Then grab Cradle of Horns from Elafikeras as it is impossible to buffs the team in earlier turns thanks to his buffs being locked to LB.

Lexa is really good as a mage chainer. Tornado + Aeroja combo is strong. Pair her with units who have the same abilities such as Shantotto and Barbariccia then you'll see big numbers of damage just from chaining the combo.

12. Reiho

Reiho Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2
    Okay, I apologize for the wall of text before, and thanks for reading through this in advance.
    Vanille: Awesome TMR. You should get it,but useless as a unit. From this point on: Every unit that can't got to 6* is useless, except Shantotto cuz she has a worthwhile kit.
    Cloud of Darkness: Total trash. Unit is outdated and the TMR is not worth the materiaslot.
    Steiner: Useless, but great GSword as TMR.
    Camille: Upgrade. Get her TMR, and use her to chain with eAileen or Tidus.
    Scarmiglione: TMR isn't worthwhile.
    Orran: Usable unit if you don't have any better greennmages sitting around. TMR is'n tthat good though.
    Refia: Useless unit with okayish TMR. You get good SPR on other materias, and Imo "just" 30% of it and some MP isn't worth the materiaslot. Especially since you have Crowein your selection.
    Luka: Gives a decent healer if you enhance her. TMR isn't great, just fuse dupes.
    Aria: Can do some things that Luka cant and Vice versa. But her TMR is amazing for Magic tanks and Supporters.
    Arc: Trash unit with meh TMR. Not worth farming, but if you don't have any betrter rods just fuse dupes.
    Amarant: Fuse dupes. HP+ is nice for tanks, but if you don't have much DPS stuff yet it's better to focus on that.
    Nine: Unit and TMR are both worthless.
    Black Waltz no. 3: Useless as TMR fodder and unit. The resist is too niche and 25% mag doesnt justify farming 100% of trust or moogling it at all.
    Shine: Good as TMR unit,30% attack is good and some evasion is always nice to have. This materia is also used to build dodge tanks.
    Erwin: Awesome TMR for chaining with Fryevias.
    Crowe: Okayish support unit with ondemand mitgation. Her TMR though is absolutely the best thinv ever for SUpports and magic tanks. 30% HP and SPR is amazing. Sadly it's not stackable,but for magic heavy ffights I recommend getting 2, so support and tank both have one.
    Celes: Sometimes her TMR comes in handy... If you use Mystea. The element resist is certainly helpful.
    Galuf: Trash.
    Werei: TMR gives 40% Attack while using Gswords and 20% HP. Useful.
    Meliadioul: So-So TMR, but useable unit for buffs,breaks and reraise in early game.
    Guromu: Great TMR, Lightning elementla GSword. Situationa,but right now a great thing to chain with 7* Lightning.
    Shantotto: TMR is meh, fuse dupes. But as mentioned before, her kit is worthwhile. A lot of -ja spells and is able to selfcap-chain with lexa and Barbariccia (Tornado+Aeroja). Strong unit for a 5* max and usable.
    Roselia: Usable healer. Can't raise outside LB, but has Triplecast Curaga available.
    Ovelia: Probably the worst summon after Shadow.
    Abel: TMR is... arguable. The dagger has not much atk but grants dualwield. It's a comprimise and a good thing if you don't have a lot of strong gear available to you.
    Timothy: Strong breaks and imperils,aswell as a great TMR. Some ppl use him, but farm his TMR either way.
    Libertus, Locke, Leo, Lenna, Faris, Mustadio, Shera, Hayate, Eight, Bran: Covnenient put together series of units. None of these is worth your time.
    Goken: His TMR may be for male units only, but a great DPS armor regardless. Get it. And use hium if you don't have much ressources of building up units available to you since he gets a big atk boost if he wears no weapon.
    Yuri: Not worthwhile at all. Her TMR is okay for hybrid units only.
    Otogiri: TMR is good, but if you have Olif (4* base) availble skip her TMR and get his. It's better in every aspect.
    Garland, Tellah: Useless.
    Mercedes: Niche TMR. Only good for Tidus squads at the moment, if you use Camille and haven't gotten her TMR yet... Your finisher can use axes.
    Elle: Get the TMR for tanks.
    Orochi: TMR is alright.
    Sara: Fuse dupes... you'll pull her often enough,anyway.
    Trey, Ulrica: Both TMRs are not worth the efford.
    Silvia:Amazing TMR for sword mages or Freyvia. Get it,get it and get it.
    Aiden: If your healer doesn't have autorefresh... Nope, even then Olif's TMR fares better. Higher SPR and 10% HP are too good on a robe.
    Jack: CoD's TMR in better, but still not worth the materiaslot.
    Sazh: Get it,it's a tool to build dodge tanks. Be aware that it doesn't stack, so equipping 2 does nothing.
    Kamui: Get that Katana. Fuse dupes though, it's not that urgent....
    Freya: Get it. A certain plant trial (cough Marlboro) is much easier when your magic tank has 100% dark resist... and this does half the job already.
    Adam: Uhm... we might get another Nier event,so keep him? If you can get his TMR for free, it's nice. If not... just ignore it.
    Seymour, Exdeath: Not worth it.
    Divine Soleil: I'm using 2 of it on my healer. HP and SPR in one, still awesome. Plus it was basically free at the time... If you are to farm it now, don't prioritize it.
    Edward, Lucille, Ashteroze, Merald: Useless...
    Helena: Get that one. Hypermentalist grants you 50% LB fillrate and 5% refresh. Useful for certain units.
    Mim: Fuse dupes...it's nice to have +20% HP on an acc for tanks.
    Lawrence:Literally the only unit that benefits from this TMR is Light Veritas. Skip it if you dont have her.
    Heltich: Trash.
    Rosa (after her upgrade): Bad and useless TMR. Unit... some people sucessfully use her, but I personally think there are better options out there. Up to you.
    Conrad: His TMR is used in TDH builds... If you can't do that,it doesn't worth to get it.
    Sice, Ohga, Ruggles, Riley, Kilian: Trash.
    Olif: Get it. Twic eif possible, so healer and Magic tank can use one.
    Charie: Fuse dupes to get the TMR.... It's nice to have for supports, but no way a musthave.
    Leon: Musthave for sword DPS wich can equip heavy armor.
    Jean: TDH item again... Every 2handed item only comes in handy if you can do TDH builds.
    Duke: Get the TMR. He is a bad unit, but his TMR is useful for any spear wielder.
    Verun: No. There are better accessorys. Self imbue is neat,but.... I dont know if you really want to waste a slot on your DPS for just that.... and not even being able to imbue everything you'd like.
    Cedona: For a 4* unit the TMR is good. Get it if you have a good sword user.... BUt you definitely won't make much use of the 30% HP with a light shield. your DPS will either use 2 weps or a (T)DH build and most of your tanks will likely wear a heavy shield... So yeah.
    Lexa: Amazing, you can use her together with shantotto! Her TMR isgood. 40% Mag with a rod and 20% SPR, that's great. Not a sgreat as other TMRs,but very good for a 4* base.
    Ryunan: Ice spear,pretty strong one... Fuse dupes.
    Kaede: Seems worthwhile for certain elemental fights. Low priority though.

Luckenzio, Tamamo05, Ardhes and 4 others like this.
  13. Talien

Talien Element resistl0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    120/140 all resist Basch
    Orran, Galuf, Libertus, Locke, CoD, Garlad, Nine, and Tellah are just trash. Ulrica TMR is trash but she's usable in arena at least, but needs a lot of HP/def materia/gear or 100% evade to survive trials.

14. Veralian

Veralian Cherry on Top VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Usually Hyoh
    Any unit I spent lapis on is a keeper for me.
    Try to keep only one copy of each unit in 3* and 4* unit.
    Never fuse or sell rainbows (except free ones like Y'shtola or Kelsus )

15. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD_Nyx/S.Nichol/Barb/Lilith/Christine
    FWIW, TMR-wise only and based only my personal playstyle/opinion. Just a guideline, not definitive ranking or anything.

Solid TMR - Worth farming/moogling
    Vanille (Solid mage accessory), Erwin (elemental Katana and killer effects), Crowe (Thrist for Survival), Werei (40% ATK and 20% HP), Guromu (elemental greatsword), Conrad (the one of 4 available two-handed greatsword), Olif (solid defensive robe), Ryunan (elemental spear), Elle (solid tank accesory), Steiner (elemental greatsword), Kamui (elemental Katana), Duke (60% ATK for spear user), Leon (50% ATK for sword user), Lexa (solid for mage or summoner dmg build), Mim (solid tank accessory)

Nice TMR - Worth farming/moogling for specific use/situation.
    Amarant (30% HP), Nine (for exp gain), Shine (for evade build), Roselia (if you need to give Staff to someone for whatever reason), Libertus (Cloth for DH/TDH build), Sazh (for evade build), Mercedes (elemental Axe), Ruggles (elemental hammer), Aiden (if you need MP regen), Orochi (if your dmg dealer uses weapon that doesn't have mastery), Silvia (for Fryevia/Kunshira), Riley (for Hammer user), Lucille (elemental gun), Cedona (Sword mastery/tank stuff hybrid), Divine Soleil (Good tank accessory), Jack (for LB build), Goken (Cloth for DH/TDH build), Abel (nice source of DW), Camille (nice for water element phy chainer), Kilian (elemental Axe), Jean (Two-handed gun), Merald (elemental Axe), Ohga (10% HP and 30% ATK), Hayate (solid hat), Timothy (solid hat for mage)

Okay TMR - Good to have by fusing dupes naturally
    Scarmiglione (earth resitance and 20% HP), Refia (good for bard/MP hungry units), Luka (water resistance), Meliadioul (ok robe for MP hungry unit), Shantotto (30% MAG, not bad but there are many better options), Celes (elemental resitance), Ovelia (Ok defensive weapon), Leo (Nice shield), Lenna (Ok defensive weapon), Faris (Dragon and Aquan Killer), Locke (ok throwing weapon), Mustadio (ok gun), Shera (fire resistance), Garland (just in case you need to give elemental great sword to someone), Lawrence (pretty much if you use VoL), Edward (elemental resitance), Seymour (ok for summoning dmg build), Sara (element resistance), Bran (elemental resitance), Ashteroze (rare dark element dagger), Freya(rare 50% dark resistance), Kaede (elemental resistance), Verun (just in case you need to give someone elemental), Aria (water resistance), Arc (Ok rod), Charie (OK tank accessory, 15% HP, 15% MP, 10% SPR, no ice resistance), Eight (15% HP, 15% MP), Helena (for MP regen/LB build), Adam (20% HP), Black Waltz no. 3 (elemental resistance), Otogiri (double item potency), Trey (OK for summoning dmg build), Heltich (dark resistance), Rosa(Two-handed bow with Bird killer), Yuri (okay for Hybrid unit), Tellah (30% MP)

Terrible TMR
    Cloud of Darkness (1 LB per turn), Orran (ST 40% dmg mitigation), Galuf (Terrible spell), Ulrica (tiny stats buff when HP lower than some threshold), Exdeath (Terrible spell), Sice (20% DEF, 20% SPR)

Edit: Correct info for Orochi (does -> doesn't), add missing Amarant's and Shantotto's TMR reason.
    Edit: Correct info on Charie's TMR.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  16. ClassZeroCadet

ClassZeroCadet Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Kurasame [A 2100], Ace [M 1700]
    as an artist having this reference to coding just made my head hurt ::ink::

17. GrimmXv9

GrimmXv9 "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    I got what ya need
    Camille(chains with both Tidus & Aileen), Timothy, Meliodoul(non magic reraise), & eRosa are all serviceable units that can really help you through even current trials.
    It would really be helpful if you were to list your units by their base *(3, 4, 5) and then leave a note for which ones are maxed out. That way we can tell which units will be useful for you long term. Also put an, "e" in front of any unit that you've enhanced. It helps us see them quicker.
    Ex,
    5* base
    Aileen(max)
    eLunera(max)
    Squall(7* 105)

4* base
    Desch
    eRosa(max)

3* base
    Timothy(max)
    Etc...

It may make for a long post, but it makes sorting for us quicker.

18. SNova42

SNova42 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Barbariccia, Tidus, Christine, BSS
    As probably said before, pretty much all your ‘trash’ units are actually decent TMR holders. The only ones not worth getting in my eyes would be Freya and Exdeath. And maybe Helena.

Basically all TMRs are worth getting except the active abilities. Even among those, many are worth it if they’re unique and useful enough. The vast majority of equipments and passive materias are all at least decent.

19. Jongiks

Jongiks Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    I think most folks here covered it. Just wanna point out that this community is awesome. Even if some are bored with the banners, some on events/contents, some on bugs, on pulls/bundles and yet we still help out in our own way. Damn. Good on you people.::rudecat3::

Tamamo05 likes this.
  20. Tamamo05

Tamamo05 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Breaker or event
    The last time someone put a "PSA" to equip 9S pod on their leader for KM event, many members, while not representative as a whole, roast that guy though. For selfish reason or just plain explaining why it's a bad idea.

I agree. Most already have it covered

Edit: btw while having high hopes for shadows, clyne, fran, lani, anzem and bedille moved to friend point summon, iirc there already someone who ask FFBE customer service and the answer is no. They won't move these crappy units to FP summon